Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Relic hunting guild in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  04:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Scribes,

I am running a FR game soon and plan to have the party be members of an elite guild of treasure and relic hunters who seek out lost objects of lore and magic to either protect them (that belongs in a museum!) or to destroy them if they are evil or too dangerous.

Think Lara Croft or Indiana Jones, but a guild.

Is there an existing organization already in the Realms that does this kind of thing? I always like to use existing Realmslore if possible.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  04:49:20  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure this idea had been proposed at least once in some of the older Dragon Magazine articles, etc. But in any case, it's a good idea, I'd say go for it! Who cares if there is already a cannon Realmslore that says such a group already existed? Go ahead and create another such group tailored just for the enjoyment of YOUR players!

And remember…. a successful Relic Hunters Guild could potentially be an incredibly powerful group. They will also attract lots of enemies in the end. Eventually, bands of greedy wizards, bandits, liches, and even the Zhentarim's assassins will hunt them down for their precious toys.
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  04:52:17  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a perfect match, but the Society of Stalwart Adventurers, based in Suzail might scratch that itch. I think they've devolved, for the most part, into a "good ol' boys" club of pompous windbags, but there are some core members who strive to do good. About a year ago I read The Ring of Winter and used the same line as you (that belongs in a museum!) because one of the main characters - Artus Cimber - gave me a bit of a Young Indy vibe.

Again, not a great match, but maybe something you can tweak to fit your needs if you can't find something better.
Go to Top of Page

portose_sharpe
Seeker

Ireland
74 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  09:24:34  Show Profile Send portose_sharpe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3rd edition ( epic handbook )

"The Gleaners" Hunt Artifacts and any magic item they see as powerful across the planes. Very elite group. 500+ members and lead by a council currently of 7 wizards, ranging from level 21 to 27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  04:26:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what might be fun? Create such a group, but secretly have it being run by some very bad guys. Maybe the PCs are sold on this mission of "keeping powerful items out of the wrong hands" -- not realizing that to the folks running this group, "wrong hands" means "not our hands."

Then one day the PCs are sent to find this nifty thing, the doodad of niftiness. What they don't know is that the actual mission is for the thingy of kewlness. Of course they find both, but for whatever reason, they keep the thingy of kewlness.

Suddenly, some surprisingly well-informed assassins are after them. After a lot of running and dodging, the PCs finally figure out what they've got and who they were really working for... So now, of course, they feel obligated to stop these bad guys. Unfortunately, the PCs themselves have supplied the villains with a small arsenal of magical toys....

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  11:07:06  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some elven relic hunter orders among the faithful of Corellon, Sehanine and Labelas, IIRC.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page