Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Of the dragon pantheon and inconsistencies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  20:28:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to both Draconomicon (2e) and Dragons of Faerun, the draconic pantheon was almost unheard of in Toril because dragons became atheistic. This began because dragons of old fought over religious philosophies, such as if Asgorath was lawful good or chaotic evil, or if s/he was a red dragon instead of a gold one, or if Xymor's (Bahamut) take on justice was better than Lendy's. Those fights escalated into full wars.

Over time, dragons realized that was pointless to revere gods that allowed such wars over petty stuff and lost all interest in gods (except for the followers of Bahamut and Tiamat, that continued to revere their patron deities and battling each other in what is known as the Dragonfall War). Draconomicon 2e states that possibly it was Zorquan the one who sparked the apathy against dragon gods as a way to save dragonkind from self-destruction. Also, according to Draconomicon, most draconic deities died because the lack of followers. According to Dragons of Faerun, this happened long before the Dracorage Mythal and that stuff.

According to Dragons of Faerun, after the destruction of the Dracorage Mythal in 1373 DR, the current dragons of Faerun began to feel the necessity to revere their gods again, and the surviving deities of the draconic pantheon returned to Toril.

EDIT: As for Zotha... I've always thought of it as the poor moon that was destroyed by Asgorath during the Tearfall (the actual event, not the myth). But it makes sense. Zehir backstabbed Io (Asgorath) during the Dawn War. No wonder why Asgorath wouldn't want to return the favor later...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 21 Feb 2017 20:41:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  20:41:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which fits PERFECTLY with my theory above!

Of course 'dragons say' they just lost interest (became atheists). The truth is far darker - because of the dracorage, they couldn't maintain contact with their gods. They basically all 'went insane'. Every time there was a 'rage event', the gods were 'lessened', until they lost contact altogether. That fits with what you just said about the Dracorage Mythal PERFECTLY. It also happens to coincide nicely with the 'change in rules' Ao made post-ToT - that 'the gods' must have a direct hand in their faith.

Maybe thats what the dracorage was all about? Maybe what we think it was was all wrong - just humans trying to define something they didn't understand? What if 'faith' is an integral part of 'civilization'? What if the dragons were all 'just monsters', until they found religion? That their gods caused them to 'rise above' the status of mere beasts (this ties in well with some of their creation myths - the blood of the gods). Once that divine impetus was removed, they lost all those millennia of evolution and devolved to a more primal state. maybe dragons need their gods?

I would start using some RW analogies (like Egypt, etc), but I think that would take us down a dangerous RW discussion, so, JUST NO.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  00:28:03  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dracorage is an artifical condition induced by elven magic manipulating aa star, IIRC. It's not as though the condition was universal or undesirable either, Garyx and Falazure wouldn't have cared.

Worshipers aren't really overall that important. Kanchelsis has no priests and Myrkul had very few, but they're an intermediate and greater power respectively. Chronepsis is relatively unpopular too, but he outranks everyone except IO in the draconic pantheon.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  03:57:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My theory on draconic worship has been that it simply takes fewer dragons to make the same amount of worship energy (faith points?) for a deity. Dragons exceed mortal races in pretty much every way... So perhaps even their casual faith is more robust for a deity than the most devout cleric's would be for a human/demihuman deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  04:00:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The dracorage is an artifical condition induced by elven magic manipulating aa star, IIRC. It's not as though the condition was universal or undesirable either, Garyx and Falazure wouldn't have cared.
I know what it was, but that doesn't mean we can't spin things to better-fit the newer lore, or to make some sense of a very odd pantheon.

The mythal could have acted in a very similar way to the Imaskari Godwall - when the KingKiller Star gets near, it cuts them off from their gods, and they lose their connection to their 'cultural overmind'. They just turn into primal engines of destruction (which is probably what they were meant to be all along).

Doesn't it seem odd that it could affect them that way? How come no-one has ever been able to do something similar with any other race? Why can't you create a 'Humanorage' mythal, and make a zombie apocalypse (except the zombies would be alive)? Or do that to dwarves, or elves? Why are dragons able to be turned into snarling beasts? To me, it almost seems like the 'civilized' version of dragons we have in FR/D&D is the abomination, because its like someone just flicks a switch and they turn into animals again.

Somehow, its as if they received the 'awakened' template - and their gods were likely involved - and then the elves figured out how to disjunct that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Feb 2017 04:01:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  04:02:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going from memory, but I think it also suggested something to that effect with dragon worship in the 3e Draconomicon.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  13:04:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

I know what it was, but that doesn't mean we can't spin things to better-fit the newer lore, or to make some sense of a very odd pantheon.

The mythal could have acted in a very similar way to the Imaskari Godwall - when the KingKiller Star gets near, it cuts them off from their gods, and they lose their connection to their 'cultural overmind'. They just turn into primal engines of destruction (which is probably what they were meant to be all along).

Doesn't it seem odd that it could affect them that way? How come no-one has ever been able to do something similar with any other race? Why can't you create a 'Humanorage' mythal, and make a zombie apocalypse (except the zombies would be alive)? Or do that to dwarves, or elves? Why are dragons able to be turned into snarling beasts? To me, it almost seems like the 'civilized' version of dragons we have in FR/D&D is the abomination, because its like someone just flicks a switch and they turn into animals again.

Somehow, its as if they received the 'awakened' template - and their gods were likely involved - and then the elves figured out how to disjunct that.

Lycanthropy turns its sufferers into frothing bloodthirsty monsters during the full moon, that doesn't mean much either way. The dracorage is a combination of "Elves were jerks" and "It's magic, man."

The other reason is that humans are by far the most populous race. Having a humanorage mythal is a good way to depopulate the entire planet and have your resident pantheon universally declared KIA.

It's something that wasn't really thought out well, either. The Seldarine should have pissed off the entire draconic pantheon with it, and dragon-elf relations would have been icy at best.

I mean, the whole "drive dragons everywhere crazy with a star" is up there with "steal magic from the goddess of magic". It's best to not apply logic to it, since it was before Mystra imposed limits on magic.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  13:29:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's something that wasn't really thought out well, either. The Seldarine should have pissed off the entire draconic pantheon with it, and dragon-elf relations would have been icy at best.

We don't know if the dragon pantheon is happy with the Seldarine, either. They have returned just "recently" to Toril (nearly 100 years hundred ago, that is like a tenday for gods), and the Spellplague just messed up everything, so gods didn't had time to discuss their differences. Just recently stuff have become calm enough for dragon gods to began to plot revenge or whatever steps they plan to do with the elven gods (post-Sundering 2.0).

As for mortal dragons, 100 years is also a short time spawn in their perspective (the last Dracorage ended 1373 DR, nearly a century before the starting point of the 5e campaign). So, there still the possibility that dragons are planning a revenge, but as their numbers were really low after the last dracorage (according to Dragons of Faerun), they need time to replenish their numbers. 100 years of waiting for a new generation of young adult dragons to bolster the draconic population of Faerun is nothing for a long lived race.

And we know that dragon-elf relations are icy. Even metallic dragons are difficult to talk with if you're playing an elf in Tiamat's 5e adventures; I can imagine chromatics being openly violent when talking to elves.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 22 Feb 2017 13:34:25
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  23:14:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, the possibilities.... hmmmm, dragonborn-rage mythal..... I'd hate to see that happen mind you, BUT I could see Gilgeam capturing some cult of the dragon cultists to find out what they know.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2017 :  23:32:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Dragons of Faerun, the Dracorage Mythal also affected dragonborn. Mind, those were dragonborn of Bahamut, not our everyday abeiran variant.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  00:33:53  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we know that the dragonborn of Abeir are innately different to the so-called "Dragonborn of Bahamut"?

We know that the Dragonborn of Bahamut were created by Bahamut from other races.
We don't have an origin story for how the Abeiran dragonborn came into existence.
We know that most races have a "creator god", like Corellon for the elves, or Moradin for the dwarves.
We suspect that if any gods at all were active on Abeir, they were the dragon gods.
We know that Bahamut can "create" dragonborn: what if he, or other draconic gods, founded the dragonborn race on Abeir too?
Thus the original Abeiran dragonborn might have come from human stock, or the stock of any race for that matter, but then they bred true.

If this was the origin story of the Abeiran dragonborn they might be affected exactly the same as the Torilian dragonborn.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  03:50:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain 'someone in the know' at WotC (back in the day when their boards were still going strong) said that the two types were different.

Plus, there HAS TO be an Abeirran backstory for them, otherwise we would not have needed all the endless discussion (and angst) on that subject when 4e was released. I don't recall what or where it was, but I know there was a (4e) story to them, because people were very upset that it didn't jibe with the FR lore we already had. I can't seem to find the info ATM, but weirdly, Wikipedia states that the Dragonborn are also connected (same thing?) to the draconians of Krynn (Dragonlance) in the 5e PH.

Just found something in Players Handbook Races: Dragonborn- two different 'myths' regarding their creation:
quote:
One tale relates that the dragonborn were shaped by Io even as the ancient dragon-god created dragons. In the beginning of days, this legend says, Io fused brilliant astral spirits with the unchecked fury of the raw elements. The greater spirits became the dragons, creatures so powerful, proud, and strong-willed that they were lords of the newborn world. The lesser spirits became the dragonborn. Although smaller in stature than their mighty lords, they were no less draconic in nature.

And the second one...
quote:
A second legend claims that Io created the dragons separately, at the birth of the world. Io crafted them lovingly to represent the pinnacle of mortal form, imbuing them with the power of the Elemental Chaos flowing through their veins and spewing forth from their mouths in gouts of flame or waves of paralyzing cold. Io granted them the keen minds and lofty spirits shared by other mortal races, linking them to Io and to the other gods of the Astral Sea.
During the Dawn War, however, Io was killed by the primordial known as Erek-Hus, the King of Terror. With a rough-hewn axe of adamantine, the King of Terror split Io from head to tail, cleaving the dragongod into two equal halves. No sooner did Io's sundered corpse fall to the ground than each half rose up as a new god - Bahamut from the left and Tiamat from the right. Drops of Io's blood, spread far and wide across the world, rose up as dragonborn.

So two stories, one right after the other.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2017 04:19:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  03:58:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's news to me. I don't remember anything like that written in the 5ePHB.

Might need to research that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  03:59:39  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 5e PHB makes no such connection with draconians. In fact, it explains that they're different.

The FR wiki has multiple mythological origin stories for the dragonborn. Ed himself is quoted from Twitter as saying the Bahamut DB and the Abeir DB are connected (in a response to our very own Zeromaru X). So the dark is we just don't know.

Edit: The SCAG also presents multiple mythological origin stories, but all of them are linked to Io in some way. So perhaps the dragonborn of Abeir are descended from the original dragonborn of Io, and Bahamut created his dragonborn from that template? That might explain the connection.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 23 Feb 2017 04:12:00
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  04:12:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys respond TOO quickly LOL (I bet thats the first time you've ever been accused of that, eh Sage?)

I edited my above post with some solid info... sort of...

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2017 04:12:39
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  04:15:46  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You guys respond TOO quickly LOL (I bet thats the first time you've ever been accused of that, eh Sage?)

I edited my above post with some solid info... sort of...

Amazing how much time I have for researching FR concepts when I'm trying to write a scientific literature review...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  04:17:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT: And BTW, I prefer the second of those two stories - its closer to some other lore we have, and the first one just sounds like something the Dragonborn themselves would have made-up.

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

The 5e PHB makes no such connection with draconians. In fact, it explains that they're different.
I went to wikipedia, not the FR wiki.

I greatly dislike the FR wiki - it makes my browser jump up and down and slows my computer to a crawl.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2017 04:22:06
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  04:27:13  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those stories are repeated in the SCAG, along with another legend. I like the Erek-Hus story too, but I feel like there's a bit of overlap with myth of the blood of Asgorath (mixed with Zotha) falling as dragon eggs. Edit: But maybe that's not such a bad thing - the first time Asgorath/Io's blood is spilled, the dragons are created, the second time it creates the dragonborn. I guess either way there's multiple myths, so we just don't know - but for Ed to be right there needs to be a connection to the Dragonborn of Bahamut somewhere in what really happened.

As for that wikipedia entry, unfortunately it's just plain misleading. The Dragon article quoted gives rules for converting the 4e dragonborn race to draconians for a Krynn-based campaign, and the 5e PHB just mentions draconians as a separate race. Neither ever postulate they're the same or have similar origins.

Edited by - KanzenAU on 23 Feb 2017 04:37:35
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  06:22:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SCAG sadly copy pasted the dragonborn creations myths from core 4e (Arkhosia), originally printed in Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn (a core 4e sourcebook), making things... confusing. I know that Erin M. Evans created a detailed background for Abeiran dragonborn (because I asked her about this, as well), but I don't know if the guys who wrote SCAG used that info, even if partially. Erin was as confused as I when I asked her about Io relationship with Abeiran dragonborn.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 23 Feb 2017 06:33:32
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  06:47:07  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer the multiple mythologies approach myself, and it especially makes sense for a book like the SCAG, which is aimed at players. We may never get a DM book explaining the truth, so we've got the myths and what Ed said to go on - enough to craft something interesting, I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  07:10:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it as well (because I like 4e lore, lol). But I cannot deny that, from the perspective of canon FR lore, this causes a few contradictions.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  07:32:26  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno how myth can possibly cause contradictions: it's just myth, it might all be wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  07:38:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely outside my area of expertise (I actually don't like dragons - I owned a physical copy of Draconimicon for years and just never bothered to read it), but I don't think its all that hard to reconcile.

Dragon Gods make dragonborn. Thats the bottom line. In the beginning it was probably an accident (like the one myth), but no-one likes to think of themselves as an 'accident', so the Dragonborn came up with their own version (the first story). But the thing about magic and fantasy settings and D&D is that when one 'someone' figures out how to do something - even if by accident - another someone can do it to. So Bahamut probably got around to creating his own, and then his sister decided she needed her own (or just corrupted a bunch of his), and so on, and so forth.

In Dragonlance (Krynn) - Takhisis (who is a self-aware autonomous aspect of Tiamat) creates Draconinas, which aren't exactly the same thing (but kinda are). Some worlds have dragonmen, others have dragonewts (Runequest/Glorantha)... all cut from the same cloth. Draconic powers figured-out how to create these things - probably from other things - by using their own bodily fluids (the myths say blood, but is what we mortals do all that different, when you get right down to it?). If we were to apply a little science, they're just using magic to do some gene-splicing - mixing draconic DNA with something else.

This is a very different thing than creating half-dragons, which is done by a mortal dragon mating with a non-dragon, and has nothing(?) to do with 'the gods'.

Some of the myths start with eggs... what if the 'eggs' were really meteors? Bits of a shattered god (sun/moon), that got 'sprinkled' with draconic DNA to cause something new to grow from them (so very much like an egg, but not really).

The myths in D&D are not just allegories - the gods and the cosmology are very real things. The myths may be filled with 'half truths', but unlike (most) Earth myths, they are based in actual events and real gods. Gods CAN be planetary bodies. The blood of gods CAN become living creatures (the same thing happened with Corellon and the elves, BTW). In scify terms, think of the pieces of a dead god 'infused' with god-stuff... pure 'proto-life'. Now take some god-blood - which has its genetic code within it - and splash some on this 'proto-life' matter. Its like growing new organs from stem cells. Its actually not as far-fetched as it all seems on the surface.

And as I pointed out above, all of this can be interrelated, just as Ed said it all was, but perhaps in a more primitive (primal?) way than we were thinking. If everything draconic began with Io, than ALL dragonborn - and dragons - are related. If Bahamut learned how to create these from watching mommy/daddy, and Tiamat learned it from him, than it doesn't matter if it happened at different times on different worlds for different reasons.

What I DO find interesting is that only certain dragonborn are affected by the dracorage mythal - which were those again? The ones 'native' to Faerūn, or the ones from Abeir? I can work with that.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2017 07:46:29
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  07:46:24  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone said that the Dragonborn of Bahamut were affected, but I don't think we can know about the Abeiran ones - the dracorage mythal hasn't gone off since the Spellplague (to my knowledge).

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  08:03:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thats the simplest scenario - if he used draconic DNA (blood, whatever) from Toril to make his dragonborn, than it makes perfect sense that they would be affected.

Even magic has to be based in science - there are tons of spells (and spell-like abilities) that affect only specific creatures, which means these creatures must bear 'markers' inherent to them that the magic can identify. Magic doesn't think, its just a very advanced form of 'super-science' (Vancian magic, anyway). That's why genie-magic and other wishes work the way they do - you have to be VERY specific about what you want affected, because the spell itself doesn't 'think'. It can't ascertain the 'spirit' of your wish - it has to take everything literally, and perform its task as simply and efficiently as possible. There has to be something - some identifier - that the spell latches onto.

So the Dracorage mythal affects 'all creature with Torillian dragon blood'. Not that the elves wanted to make it conditional like that, but even their High magic has its limits, and they can't affect EVERY dragon in the universe with a spell cast within a single crystal sphere (and it could just be thats the limitation - magic can't travel beyond the sphere itself, so dragons born outside the original sphere of influence wouldn't be affected). But I don't think the range is even that great, because I am pretty sure the other dragons in Realmspace - that aren't on Toril - aren't affected. There are plenty of dragons on/in Coliar, and its never been said that they were affected (or maybe they are affected only if the comet comes their way?)

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2017 15:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  08:21:18  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Someone said that the Dragonborn of Bahamut were affected, but I don't think we can know about the Abeiran ones - the dracorage mythal hasn't gone off since the Spellplague (to my knowledge).

Dragons of Faerun states that some dragonborn of Bahamut were affected by the Dracorage (not all, unlike dragons, but at least a number of them were affected). In Battledale there was a sisterhood of half-song dragons (the Sisterhood of Essembra) who, after the destruction of the dracorage mythal, helped both metallic dragons and dragonborn to recover from the psychological trauma some metallics and dragonborn suffered when they learned all the destruction they caused under the madness.

The dracorage was destroyed in 1373, like ten years before the Spellplague hit, so we don't know if Abeiran dragonborn could have been infected if they travelled to Toril in a different point of time.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 23 Feb 2017 08:23:20
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  11:21:18  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The same author who said Tiamat and Takhisis were the same also said that Orcus and Chemosh were the same. Weiss and Hickman claim they're separate gods, which is reinforced later on in On Hallowed Ground.

4e claims they're the same, but 4e also shoehorned entire pantheons together. The Queen of Air and Darkness and Auril are entirely separate beings, as are Talos and Gruumsh.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  15:06:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we also have a little bit of RW 'politics' coming into play, or rather, 'business acumen'. There were very good, RW reasons why Weiss & Hickman wanted them separate, and at times, so did TSR/WotC - because it became a 'licensed property', and really weird crap happens to an IP once they have to start separating their 'settings' (like a whole boatload of Marvel Comics 'second string' characters that got 'orphaned' when they lost the Conan license... and yet those same villains, etc., continued to appear, if they were ones Marvel itself came up with).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  16:00:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even without that, you wind up with weirdness if you say Takhisis is present elsewhere as Tiamat.

I like to think of Krynn's deities as former aspects of the more widely-known deities. For example, Tiamat once spun off an aspect/avatar and sent it a still-young Krynn. Either because of some sort of disconnect or the result of millennia of acting independently of the source, Krynn's Tiamat (Krynnamat?) became an independent entity and renamed herself Takhisis. Now, despite the fact that both have the five-headed dragon thing going on, the two are entirely separate and have no connections at all.

At least, that's been my spin to explain away the divine weirdness on Krynn (compared to Oerth or Toril).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  18:27:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm fairly certain 'someone in the know' at WotC (back in the day when their boards were still going strong) said that the two types were different.

Plus, there HAS TO be an Abeirran backstory for them, otherwise we would not have needed all the endless discussion (and angst) on that subject when 4e was released. I don't recall what or where it was, but I know there was a (4e) story to them, because people were very upset that it didn't jibe with the FR lore we already had. I can't seem to find the info ATM, but weirdly, Wikipedia states that the Dragonborn are also connected (same thing?) to the draconians of Krynn (Dragonlance) in the 5e PH.

Just found something in Players Handbook Races: Dragonborn- two different 'myths' regarding their creation:
quote:
One tale relates that the dragonborn were shaped by Io even as the ancient dragon-god created dragons. In the beginning of days, this legend says, Io fused brilliant astral spirits with the unchecked fury of the raw elements. The greater spirits became the dragons, creatures so powerful, proud, and strong-willed that they were lords of the newborn world. The lesser spirits became the dragonborn. Although smaller in stature than their mighty lords, they were no less draconic in nature.

And the second one...
quote:
A second legend claims that Io created the dragons separately, at the birth of the world. Io crafted them lovingly to represent the pinnacle of mortal form, imbuing them with the power of the Elemental Chaos flowing through their veins and spewing forth from their mouths in gouts of flame or waves of paralyzing cold. Io granted them the keen minds and lofty spirits shared by other mortal races, linking them to Io and to the other gods of the Astral Sea.
During the Dawn War, however, Io was killed by the primordial known as Erek-Hus, the King of Terror. With a rough-hewn axe of adamantine, the King of Terror split Io from head to tail, cleaving the dragongod into two equal halves. No sooner did Io's sundered corpse fall to the ground than each half rose up as a new god - Bahamut from the left and Tiamat from the right. Drops of Io's blood, spread far and wide across the world, rose up as dragonborn.

So two stories, one right after the other.

That's kind of interesting to me, because the thing I wrote up for Osse a couple days ago basically has the humans of Katashaka as one of the creator races, but they transfer to Abeir in the Sundering... to the continent of Osse. Eventually dragons and dragonborn invade their territory, the humans get some dragon eggs, and create what if you read between the lines are draconians by combining humans with dragons still in their eggs. The humans then overthrow the dragons, but the dragonborn are left behind. The humans and dragonborn establish a peace. The humans that became draconians interbreed with the dragonborn (resulting in basically the dragonkin we see in 3e... or dragonborn with wings and tails). Eventually Osse transfers to Toril from Abeir (possibly as a result of the Elven Sundering), lots of dragonborn die in the transfer, and those dragonborn that remain descend into barbarism.

Ironically, this story basically states that Osse is an Abeiran continent that the elves essentially stole.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000