Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Archives on Facebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Man-of-Fur
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  21:16:05  Show Profile Send Man-of-Fur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Just wondering how many members of Candlekeep have heard of the Forgotten Realms Archives facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheForgottenRealmsArchives/

We have quite a few authors as part of out almost 6000 members. I was just curious as Candlekeep is the benchmark for Realms lore, and any support the facebook group could get from here, and vica verse, would be awesome.

Choices:

I have never heard of The Forgotten Realms Archives
I have heard of the FR Archives but am not a member
I am a member of the FR Archives
I don''''t use Facebook

(Anonymous Vote)

Mike from the Forgotten Realms Archives...

Edited by - Man-of-Fur on 14 Feb 2017 21:20:05

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  00:16:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a member. Don't really post much. Like like a post or three every now and then...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Man-of-Fur
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  19:33:01  Show Profile Send Man-of-Fur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow ok, so it looks like we have a lot of Candlekeep scribes as members on Facebook. That is good to know, and makes me glad.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2017 :  01:45:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted that I don't use facebook. Its kind of a lie, in that I have an account, but I RARELY go there unless someone deliberately posts something that they want me to see (so like once every couple months).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2017 :  11:13:47  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just joined the other day, and I must say, I am enjoying the posts. Gets me all nostalgic for FR.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  07:27:43  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a member of the FR Archives

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

tyson170
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  20:53:13  Show Profile Send tyson170 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about it. I just joined.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2017 :  23:09:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Member!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2017 :  15:58:04  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been a member for a while but I haven't posted on it.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  01:53:39  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a member, but just got a 24 hour ban for having posted a link to information *on the publisher's own site* about the new Drizzt book being released. There's really no excuse for that kind of administrator behavior; even if the admins somehow think they are serving the author's interests (and one would have to question why a fan group feels that's their place), it is completely bizarre and irrational when the information is coming directly from the publisher. Shame on you guys.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  02:29:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

I am a member, but just got a 24 hour ban for having posted a link to information *on the publisher's own site* about the new Drizzt book being released. There's really no excuse for that kind of administrator behavior; even if the admins somehow think they are serving the author's interests (and one would have to question why a fan group feels that's their place), it is completely bizarre and irrational when the information is coming directly from the publisher. Shame on you guys.

That is ridiculous.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  02:30:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a member of the group, but nothing I've seen thus far has really grabbed my attention.

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  03:04:42  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing is, I like the group, and a lot of authors participate, which is a great thing. But there's just no rational reason for this. Even on Salvatore's official forum, there are multiple threads discussing the news, so why is a fan group trying to suppress it? When they've deleted people's posts on the subject, I just shrugged and thought "Oh well, it's their group, they decide" but a banning over posting a link to the publisher's site is really a bridge too far. I hope this was something done by just one overzealous moderator.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  15:51:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a member, but no longer use Facebook.

I've found that FB is a drain on my ability to create. In fact, I've enjoyed a great deal more being back here at Candlekeep as opposed to being on FB.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Man-of-Fur
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  16:43:51  Show Profile Send Man-of-Fur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that R.A. Salvatore has confirmed the rumors of a new Drizzt novel being released, the Office Team of the Forgotten Realms Archives is now going to allow discussion of the topic. The reason post were deleted and members were muted is because we did not want to deliver false hope to our membership until the news was confirmed by reliable sources. We are all very happy to share in this news! The Forgotten Realms is alive and well!

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  16:50:53  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can see, I'm still banned.
Go to Top of Page

Man-of-Fur
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  17:29:19  Show Profile Send Man-of-Fur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check again, and we are sorry for any strife caused by this situation.

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm unbanned now. We'll move past this and focus on shared love of the Realms. Here's to more novels and more authors!
Go to Top of Page

Man-of-Fur
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  17:39:15  Show Profile Send Man-of-Fur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huzzah!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  01:59:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Just got a ban, myself. Apparently, offering a negative opinion citing specific issues on a series, when an opinion was requested, is violating the rules. Not only was I given the 24 hour ban, my comments were deleted.

So I left the group. I was already annoyed, today, because someone was trying to troll me for having a dissenting opinion. Now one of the group mods does the same thing.

I've been trying to spend less time on Facebook, of late; me removing myself from that group just makes it easier.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  17:49:27  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near anything related to Facebook. Not sure why they all don't come here to Candlekeep?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  17:50:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just got a ban, myself. Apparently, offering a negative opinion citing specific issues on a series, when an opinion was requested, is violating the rules. Not only was I given the 24 hour ban, my comments were deleted.

So I left the group. I was already annoyed, today, because someone was trying to troll me for having a dissenting opinion. Now one of the group mods does the same thing.

I've been trying to spend less time on Facebook, of late; me removing myself from that group just makes it easier.

Okay, this pisses me off.

Woolie, I've been reading your posts online for years, and I have never seen anything that warranted that sort of action. Sure, you like some series better than others, but who doesn't? While I applaud the moderators' goal of keeping the site user-friendly for all, this isn't the way to do it.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 02 Apr 2018 17:52:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  18:50:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mod who did it didn't even give the courtesy of a warning.

My opinion was, admittedly, rather negative -- but it was same things I've said here, about the War of the Spider Queen books. I've issues with the shifting character personalities, Lolth's plot making her more powerful when it should have weakened her, the characters demonstrating perfectly how to be Chaotic Stupid, and I found the overall story to be rather uninteresting.

And I cited all of those things. Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider it bashing when someone can give specific complaints, as opposed to the "this thing I dislike is stupid and so is anyone that likes it" shtick seen so many times online. But that was the specific charge from the moderator.

I'm rather curious about the guy who was trying to troll me by posting insulting gifs -- I'd like to know if he was given a 24 hour ban, as well. Unfortunately, I think all of his gifs were responses to one of my deleted comments, and I removed myself from the group, so there's no going back to check.

The whole thing obviously irritated me enough to post about it and remove myself from the group, but I'm over it now -- like I said, it makes it easier to spend less time on Facebook. I've had far more irritating things happen, in my online journeys.

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  20:06:14  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm there mainly because my favorite authors (like Elaine) are there. The mods do seem to respect the opinions of the authors, but the authors probably generally aren't aware when there's a problem like this. I would think most authors would want them not to be so heavy-handed with fans,so maybe if the authors speak to the mods privately it could help. The group is a good idea, at least in theory.
Go to Top of Page

GoForTheEyes
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  00:14:45  Show Profile Send GoForTheEyes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long time lurker, figured I'd finally register and chime in, since things with this Facebook group seem to be growing increasingly ridiculous. I'm a member of the FRA as well as other FR groups on Facebook. Some of the mods of the other Facebook groups are friends of mine. I've heard from them that Mike Furman, not sure if he owns the group but he's clearly the one who calls the shots, has been cracking down on them for sharing their FR groups in the FRA. They've gotten muted or banned from the FRA for doing so, and when they asked why, Mike told them that FRA doesn't allow promotions from groups "in direct competition" with the FRA. AFAIK Facebook doesn't limit how many groups a person can be in, so this seems really stupid. Maybe there's a limit but I've seen people in over a thousand groups so if that limit exists, it's gotta be pretty high. Another friend got grief from Mike for sharing an article that the FRA had copied and pasted directly from the Wiki. Mike acted like the FRA people had written it when all they did was literally copy and paste it from the Wiki and remove the citations and told him to give FRA credit for the article. Since then I've noticed that FRA spotlights have included a line claiming credit for the articles' contents.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  00:41:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard a couple of other complaints about the group from people here, but this was my first bad experience with the group. I mainly lurked, there, because I didn't see a lot of conversations I felt like participating in.

I think that most of my contributions to the group were recommendations for Elaine's books, and those of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  00:42:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's awful Wooly---your opinions are always courteous even when you really, really dislike something. You're like the nicest person. So odd. I think some mods really like some series there and if you bash them (validly and politely even) you risk a ban!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  00:53:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It likely didn't help that a lot of people really, really like the War of the Spider Queen books. A lot of people in that discussion were saying how awesome the books were and how they were some of the best books of the Realms, and then I come in and call them over-hyped, underwhelming, and then start providing reasons why I feel that way.

I've actually been much slower to share my dislike of certain very popular novels, because I know I'm in a minority on them. More than one popular series, I held my tongue on for a year or more after reading them, because I didn't like them.

That's also why I tend to post a disclaimer when someone says they're going to go with my recommendation on something they've not yet read. I do like it when people like books that I've liked, obviously, but given that I've thoroughly disliked some popular stuff, it's obvious my opinions aren't always inline with the mainstream, here.

My friend Callmegene and I have similar tastes in books, and we've inflicted a lot of books on each other, over the years -- but even he and I disagree on books more often than some might expect.

Go to Top of Page

Man-of-Fur
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  13:47:26  Show Profile Send Man-of-Fur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel pretty awful after reading this thread. Is there anything I can do Wooly to make ammends. I tried in vain to find the thread in question.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  17:29:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoForTheEyes

Mike told them that FRA doesn't allow promotions from groups "in direct competition" with the FRA. AFAIK Facebook doesn't limit how many groups a person can be in, so this seems really stupid.

Not surprising. There's a sort of, uh, folks, who think if you use whichever thing let them ride in the driver's cabin (more often than not, just by worming their way in), you are their peon for life and they get to thought-police what you do anywhere, etc.
See also the "Code of Conduct" scandals, etc. It's a smell of rot.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 25 Oct 2018 17:31:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  19:42:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Man-of-Fur

I feel pretty awful after reading this thread. Is there anything I can do Wooly to make ammends. I tried in vain to find the thread in question.

The offer is appreciated, but once bitten, twice shy -- I'm not going to return, at least not at this time.

If you truly want to improve things, though, then make sure my experience isn't repeated. Give warnings before bans. Look and see if a post is really bashing, as you yourself accused me of, or if it's just a negative opinion addressing very specific and explicitly described issues. Don't ignore people that message you for clarification on your actions, and certainly don't -- as I'm told you did -- go bash the newly-banned person in discussion with other moderators. (Note: my last point here is what I was told happened, by a third party; it is the only thing I didn't directly experience firsthand).

Just show some restraint and some respect. Give people a chance and try to work with them. Don't treat others like you treated me.

If you can promise me that and follow through on it, I will consider the matter rectified and amends to have been made.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000