Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 BIG Blackstaff lore in latest Dragon Talk podcast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2017 :  19:29:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A LOT of what was written about in 4e is inconsistent with former editions, sometimes inconsistent with itself, and has been over-written (made 'untrue') by the new edition. Thus, 4e is in a real 'state of limbo' canon-wise; I think everyone - writers included - just ignore the whole thing at this point.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

ummmmm. I'm not sure but I think she's dead too.

Well, I guess I'm out of luck then.

I disliked the 2nd (new) movie so much I didn't bother to go see the last one, which is a first for me. I guess sooner or later, all franchises lose their charm.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jan 2017 19:30:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2017 :  19:52:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A LOT of what was written about in 4e is inconsistent with former editions, sometimes inconsistent with itself, and has been over-written (made 'untrue') by the new edition. Thus, 4e is in a real 'state of limbo' canon-wise; I think everyone - writers included - just ignore the whole thing at this point.

Sadly, there was 3E lore that was the same way -- a lot that was inconsistent with prior editions, and some that was inconsistent with itself. The Shadow Weave, in particular, changed every time something was printed about it -- and I recall one case where Rich Baker said that the information in a sourcebook released about a month prior was incorrect.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2017 :  23:00:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sadly, there was 3E lore that was the same way -- a lot that was inconsistent with prior editions, and some that was inconsistent with itself. The Shadow Weave, in particular, changed every time something was printed about it -- and I recall one case where Rich Baker said that the information in a sourcebook released about a month prior was incorrect.

Yeah, I loved the stuff where the shadow weave and shadow magic were being tied.... and yet the shadow weave was specific to Toril and shadow magic was linked to the plane of shadow/shadowfell.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  02:00:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They also changed how Shadow Weave magic and regular Weave magic interacted at pretty much every opportunity they had.

I don't know if people at WotC weren't talking to each other as they made this stuff up, or if it was such a poorly thought out concept that they couldn't agree on a single version of it... But my money is on the latter.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  10:26:46  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that Mystryl was born from the clash of Shar and Selune, I always headcanoned the Shadow Weave as Shar simply enhancing the parts she contributed to the formation of the Weave. We didn't really see it much before Mystra II because apart from the Shadow Weave being a gift Shar bestowed to her mightiest servants (Telly and co.), the neutrality of Mystryl and Mystra 1 meant that neither sister was willing to rock the boat too much.

Enter the neutral-good, mortal-tainted Mystra, herself relying on the "wisdom" of her fool chosen while lacking practical experience (she was level 12 when she ascended), and Shar pretty much decided 'screw it, not going to wait for my snotty sister to gank me with fake!Mystra's help'.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  14:59:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it had anything to do with Mystra II's alignment. She had the same Chosen and mandates Mystra I had.

I think it was purely because someone at WotC said, "Hey, shadows are kewl!"

Thus we got Shade, the unstoppable Shadovars, the Shadow Weave, and the ironic thrust into the spotlight of a deity that prefers darkness.

And other, established threats to the Realms were all shoved to the side or ignored in favor of something shadow-related.

Note that all of that stuff came out during 3E -- the only time Mystra II's alignment was ever a factor in anything was during a 2E novel, and she was roundly slapped down for it in that novel. It was never reflected in-game in any way, and never appeared anywhere other than that one novel.

And none of that changes the fact that WotC kept changing the Shadow Weave.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Jan 2017 15:02:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  18:30:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a novel, originally written for Birthright, that was later shoe-horned into The Realms. Birthright has the concept of the 'Shadow-World', and in order to make the novel work, FR wound up with the 'Shadow Weave', which probably seemed like a great idea at first... until they started to realize that it butted-heads with Ed's original concept for 'The Weave' (which he didn't even call that - it was just "a magical 'web-work' of energy that surrounds and permeates Faerūn"). So initially, it was much more like Ley-lines in Ed's mind.

From conversations with Ed (and answers he has given here on these forums), he feels/felt that certain writers ran (and perhaps over-ran) with some of his ideas, while other parts got completely ignored, so that over time his 'perfectly balanced and running machine' became lop-sided and inconsistent, lore-wise. The Shadow-Weave could have been made to work, since he is brilliant enough to leave enough loose-ends to be able to work nearly anything in, but the constant changing of what the Weave (and Shadow Weave) were/are, and their relationship to each other, nullified any logical 'fix' for its existence.

If 'The Weave' = 'Life' (as Ed pictured it), then the Shadow-Weave should have = anti-Life, but it didn't. Sometimes it did, but most of the time it was just whatever the current writer wanted it to be. Plus, The Weave was supposed to be a blend of ight & darkness, so it couldn't be The Weave's opposite, but sometimes it was prtrayed that way, and sometimes it was portrayed as being just 1/2 of it, and still other times it got very hazy definitions like 'its the backside of the Weave', or, 'its the spaces between the Weave' (which sounds cool in-theory, but we never really got a mechanical description of how that works).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jan 2017 18:31:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2017 :  18:31:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Split for brevity...

I think it was the fans that first came up with the theory that The Shadow-Weave was just the Shadow-energy Shar wrested back from The Weave when Mystryl fell, and she had slowly been drawing her energy back out of it to build her own Weave, somehow without (or maybe with?) Mystra not knowing about it (which works really well, considering the alignment changes over time). Basically, it amounted to the opposite of what happened to Tyche - the old Mystryl was being split back-apart into her basic components - the energy of Shar, and the energy of Selūne. The whole problem with that is that they've always left Selūne out of all the 2e/3e 'god strife', when she should have been a central figure in it. (I think) Rich Baker had the idea they were two totally separate 'Weaves', which really doesn't work so well, when you consider past (EG) lore. It actually works better when you say the two are integrated, and it wasn't so much Shar separating her part, but rather, re-exerting control over it.

That gives us an interesting scenario akin to what happened when the Transporter split Kirk into two halves, and we see that neither could survive without the other. Same thing happened to The Hulk at one point, when it and Banner got separated. That means Mystra was starting to 'fade away' since the fall of Netheril, slowly losing touch with parts of herself (much like how Hal 2000 was singing 'Daisy' at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.) By the time we got Mystra 2.0 after the ToT, we basically had a 'lobotomized' god, who probably didn't even know she was missing half herself (which could explain how so much was getting past her). Not so much that the 'Shadow' had been removed from The Weave, but rather, she was just losing her connection to those parts of it (I picture Shar snipping strands of web, slowly over time, like a surgeon).

Unfortunately, thats all fine and good, and we can theorize whatever we like, but none of that works in the context of some of the canon, and most especially not in regards to the Return of the Archwizards, where it was introduced. It was written as some sort of superior 'uber magic' that could be layered on top of 'regular magic', which makes no sense, since the were talking about a Mythal in the novel - a Mythal that should have already had BOTH types of magic in it, since it was built with the original, undamaged Weave.

Unless... when was the Evereska Weave created? Maybe Arcane Mythals only have the one half, whereas the older, High-Magic ones have both? That might work...

But then we still have all the weirdness where you can still cast all the shadow spells, even if you don't use the Shadow Weave, which makes no sense. They changed the lore dramatically in 3e, but they didn't bother to change how (that part of) the magic works. They never said 'only certain spells can be cast with the two different Weaves', which really throws any sort of logic for their existence right out the window. And then we have the Demon-Weave... another 'Weave' thats just redundant with the others (and creates some enigmatic '3rd energy source', in theory).

Ugh

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jan 2017 18:38:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  01:49:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The great joy of "kewl ideas". I suppose you have to understand that our perspective and discussion revolves around shared-world writing, logical consistency with the story and an acknowledgement of "what had gone before". The game writers at WotC toward the end of 3E were struggling mightily with the "what had gone before" part in terms of accounting for all the realmslore, and having to juggle that with a need to come up with more game stuff (feats, spells, character classes, et. al.) to sell books. Pulling in the entirely opposite direction was the fiction department who just wanted to write stories that sold books and were clearly of the view that "blow up the world" stories were their main option in that regard. I picture the last years of FR 3E as akin to a rodeo with the game writers struggling to stay on the bucking bronco of the fiction department and trying (failing) to gel the stories with the game that was always the tarrasque in the room. Throw in a liberal amount of internal company politics, big egos and people trying to "get ahead" and you get 4E, the time jump and an attempt to clear the decks. And that's how the goose got killed. They've cloned the goose now, but it limps.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  02:59:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

just for you Markustay.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  04:12:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The great joy of "kewl ideas". I suppose you have to understand that our perspective and discussion revolves around shared-world writing, logical consistency with the story and an acknowledgement of "what had gone before". The game writers at WotC toward the end of 3E were struggling mightily with the "what had gone before" part in terms of accounting for all the realmslore, and having to juggle that with a need to come up with more game stuff (feats, spells, character classes, et. al.) to sell books. Pulling in the entirely opposite direction was the fiction department who just wanted to write stories that sold books and were clearly of the view that "blow up the world" stories were their main option in that regard. I picture the last years of FR 3E as akin to a rodeo with the game writers struggling to stay on the bucking bronco of the fiction department and trying (failing) to gel the stories with the game that was always the tarrasque in the room. Throw in a liberal amount of internal company politics, big egos and people trying to "get ahead" and you get 4E, the time jump and an attempt to clear the decks. And that's how the goose got killed. They've cloned the goose now, but it limps.

-- George Krashos

Considering the way canon was kicked to the curb at the beginning of 3E, I think that's when the struggle started.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  04:16:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NICE

I am WAY behind with making my maps, but I'm still plugging along (have to go up to the hospital for several hours every day now). I 'accidentally' started another weird one...

Hopefully someone will find it useful... I'm pretty sure Dazzler at least will like it (Hint: I found another place to 'park' Abeir, and its pretty awesome... if I do say so myself).

As to how that ties into the thread (just now realizing I started in mid-thought) - the only way FR will be 'brought back' (limping cloned goose that it is ) is if WE keep it alive, by constantly working on it, even if its in bits & drabs. We have to keep it interesting, by having these interesting conversations about the lore (and how to 'fix' it).

The Realms is still breathing, but just barley. We are the CPR.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jan 2017 03:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  08:39:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talking about the Shadow Weave... it was restored in 5e? If it was, is still contradicting itself? Or we just got the regular Weave?

I know this is offtopic, but I don't have all the Sundering novels and I got curious.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 22 Jan 2017 08:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  09:38:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im annoyed ive had to stop doing my netheril rewrite.

I was intending to debunk all the myths, such as mystra and the weave were created from the battle between shar and selune, tyche split in to after being infected by moander.

The way i see it these are myths peddled by preachers and storytellers from a thousand years ago that have been twisted by time and accepted as history by everyone.

Maybe i can do it in a few years.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  11:01:01  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Talking about the Shadow Weave... it was restored in 5e? If it was, is still contradicting itself? Or we just got the regular Weave?

I know this is offtopic, but I don't have all the Sundering novels and I got curious.

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it has just been conveniently unmentioned.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  11:04:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way i see it is that the weave was created -30000 DR or thereabouts by the baetith when the nether scrolls were made.

Mystryl was a goddess of the netherese so she was created after they found magic.

There are myths and legends that say selune and shar and mystra have existed aince the dawn of time, but they are stories people make up. Stories based on other stories based on events from 30 millennia ago, but stories nonetheless.

Why created a complicated metaplot when the simplest solution is to go with the obvious.

The weave was created around -30000 DR. Around -4000 DR it gained a human sentience that inspired the religion of mystryl.

The shadow weave is an oddity that i have formed when the demiplane of shadow becomes a transitive plane and shadowy mirror image of the prime. This occurs as part of the Fall of Netheril but through chance and design rather than the actions of a deity. It is then claimed as Shars doing and is passed into myth and legend as civilisation is rebuilt.

No gods that live since the dawn of time (despite having now worshippers). No gods that change form and just appear to whoever thet want to suddenly become worshipped. No changing of the rules of deities so that they can exist independent of worshippers.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  14:43:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The weave was created around -30000 DR. Around -4000 DR it gained a human sentience that inspired the religion of mystryl.

SKYNET!!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 22 Jan 2017 14:45:04
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  15:14:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well not quite.

There are mmany sentiences hidden within the weave. The sarrukh, batrachi, and aearee had many, their collective intellects are hidden within the nether scrolls.

The elves added many more over the millennia although they merged with the weave itself rather than being confined to items.

Mystryl was the first human (or part human) sentience within the weave. She took a more direct approach than many and actually continued to communicate with people (the netherese) long after she merged with the weave.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 22 Jan 2017 15:15:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2017 :  04:11:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, its kind of how I picture my whole theory of 'Overminds' working (the collective consciousness of a species, which causes the ascendance of proto-gods).

Basically, any time you have 'energy' of any sort in a constant formation (and in constant motion), that is of a similar nature (magic, human brainwaves, elven brainwaves, 'negative (shadow) energy', etc), a consciousness begins to form, but depending on the level of power, it could take many centuries to coalesce into something resembling sentience. For whatever strange reason, size/power works reversely proportionate to how quickly it forms, so a simple energy pattern (like a hologram) might only take a few years to form its own consciousness (and we actually have one of those - a sentient illusion - in canon). Something the size of a star, or the magical weave of Toril, could take millennia.

its kind of funny, because I insinuated (above) that Mystra 1.0 was sort of 'special' (trying to tip-toe around being PC here), and its actually canon that the new incarnation of Mystryl - Mystra - did indeed land inside a 'special' girl (in Cormyr, IIRC... although it wouldn't have been Cormyr at the time). So if that was the case - that the 'lessened', damaged Weave connecting with someone like that because it was of a similar... nature... then what does that say about Midnight?

By the time the ToT rolled around, Shar had already grabbed most of her power back and was ready to cut that final string. That means at no point in time was either Mystra 'playing with a full deck'. The new and improved Mystra 3.0 (in 5e they should have just renamed her Mystryl... 2.0) could possibly have the totality of the Weave back in her grasp - positive and negative (arcane & shadow). I'd really like it if they did more with this - possibly representing her as a two-faced goddess, or some-such (with duel natures). But they won't... they don't really want to define anything in stone in 5e, and most certainly NOT the deities.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jan 2017 04:13:04
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2017 :  08:48:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im not going for a developing consciousness, im thinking of one that was put there deliberately by the greatest arcanist in netherils history (revealed in elimsters FR.

That means she can have relatives if you want. Im going for a reincarnation angle personally since the nether scrolls cannot be destroyed so a human personification of it likewise cannot be destroyed. Could be they are reincarnated in a relatives body.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page