Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Yslanderon
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  22:15:27  Show Profile Send Yslanderon a Private Message
Hi i'm new to the forum so not sure if it's the right place to ask this 2 questions, but here it goes:

1- Would Bhaal, in the Baldurs Gate saga games, choose a tiefling to mate; creating an offspring with both demonic and devine power? I ask this question because, i've decide to play Baldurs Gate Reloaded mod on NWN2 engine, and the tiefling race drew my attention this time. The problem of choosing this race, as i saw it, is that its lineage traces back to some big shot in the lower realms. So i'm not sure if said being would then, somehow, hold claim or control over the Bhaalspawn's devine legacy.

2- This one relates to the Mask of the Betrayer campaign from NWN2. The evil ending, has you taking control over the spirit eater curse, (with the help of Myrkul's essence that you devoured) and becoming a strange being, as Kelemvor put it: "a twisted mockery of a God". My question is what has the spirit eater become at this point? a demi-god? He exhibits god-like powers and can kill Gods as well. Some called him to be akin to an Elder Evil. At that point he can devour the spirit, the soul and the essence of anything, even Gods; at will.
https://youtu.be/YyJ6iheshZc?t=40

Also i can't help but to congratulate you, Ed, and all the others who have dedicated so much of their time to make FR what it is now. I've become of big fan of all the lore that it has, and even found myself (sometimes), giving in to that childish feeling that perhaps even a fraction of all those fantastic things... might actually exist.

"It was a plague so dangerous, a threat so grave, that it spread throughout the infinite of space and eternity of time almost effortlessly to infest the stars." - Unknown Historian

Edited by - Yslanderon on 21 Oct 2017 18:45:43
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  03:52:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
what is or are the League of Samathar. and for that amtter who is samathar?
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/504_DR

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  04:23:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

what is or are the League of Samathar. and for that amtter who is samathar?
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/504_DR

The link answers the first question: "the rebellious cities of Wizards' Reach, now known as the the League of Samathar."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  23:41:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Hi, dear Ed and THO (and anyone who can help me here).

I'm curious about how divination magic works in Abeir-Toril. I've already searched for a similar question in old scrolls but so far I've found nothing, so here we go.

When someone uses divination magic to predict the future, is she seeing into a "fixed timeline" to see set in stone future events (so, is something you cannot change unless you can alter the timeline), or is seeing just one possibility of stuff that can happen, with the more powerful diviners being able to "calculate" potential futures with more accuracy than your average level 1 wizard?

Thanks in advance!

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Oct 2017 23:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  00:46:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Hey Ed (and THO), I've been doing a bunch of 'divine' research as of late into RW mythology and folklore, and I found there was an 'errata' of sorts regarding the Celtic pantheon in the original Deities & Demigods in issue #65 of Dragon Magazine (one of the major things it changes is it makes Oghma more of a warrior-god, because supposedly, thats closer to the myths). I'm actually trying to build an extended Fey/Elven pantheon ATM.

But that not why I am here. After the article, the very next article in that same issue happens to be by a chap named Ed Greenwood, pertaining to laws and governments. And therein, you mention YOUR Forgotten Realms (as you've often done, prior to its purchase by TSR). So, I have a couple of geography questions from that -

1) You mention "The Imperial city of Waterdeep" - was that just you just trying to let the readers know 'its impressive', or was it really 'Imperial' (meaning, there was an empire attached to it) in YOUR Realms.

2)"Many types or structures of governments exist, some of them quite novel. DMs should also remember that the “king” of Aluphin may command mighty hosts of warriors and speak with authority backed by gods, whereas the “king” of the adjacent realm of Berdusk may be only a war leader whose rule extends as far as the swordpoints of his bodyguards." Berdusk we know is a real place (in the Realms), but what of Aluphin? Was there such a place, or was that just fabricated for the article?

3)You mention a city of 'Zeluthin' (which doesn't sound familiar to me, but I could be wrong) where they have a weird way of 'torturing' political prisoners (tying them to bars of the cell facing inward, etc.) Is Zeluthin in The Realms?

And one non-geography question - you mention the entire plot revolving around Doust Sulwood (and his sudden 'rise to power') - did anything ever come of the drow allying with Githyanki? I don't ever recall hearing about Githyanki in the Shadowdale region before. I have a feeling THO will be able to help with this one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Oct 2017 00:49:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  00:58:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Hi, dear Ed and THO (and anyone who can help me here).

I'm curious about how divination magic works in Abeir-Toril. I've already searched for a similar question in old scrolls but so far I've found nothing, so here we go.

When someone uses divination magic to predict the future, is she seeing into a "fixed timeline" to see set in stone future events (so, is something you cannot change unless you can alter the timeline), or is seeing just one possibility of stuff that can happen, with the more powerful diviners being able to "calculate" potential futures with more accuracy than your average level 1 wizard?
I can help with this one somewhat. We KNOW FR's history has 'diverged' at least once (when the Elves cast THEIR Sundering), but that's not quite the same thing. It just lets us know "the world was one way, and now its a different way", which means the future is not fixed (unless we proscribe to Doctor Who's 'Fixed Points', and TSR's Chronomancer alludes to much the same thing - certain things you CAN'T change - the timeline will 'right itself', one way or another).

But much more importantly, there is a scene in one of the Haunted Lands novels (that I haven't gotten up to yet) where Szass Tam casts a powerful ritual to see multiple outcomes of the timeline - I think he was able to see five possible results, IIRC (recalling from conversations had YEARS ago, not from my recent reading). It was extremely 'taxing' for him to do so, and I believed it was explained that even his powerful mind could only handle seeing a few all at once.

And now that I think about it, the Red Wizards did something similar to the Tuigan - showed them two different possible 'futures' (but that may have just been illusions to fool the Tuigan).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Oct 2017 01:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  10:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed, I have a question about the Zhentarim. From the start, the Zhentarim's reason for being is to move metal and ore from the Moonsea to the Sword Coast by the fastest route possible, and to bring Sword Coast goods back to the Moonsea and surrounding areas.

The second part, I understand completely. I'm a little more confused about the first part. Why is it less expensive to move Moonsea metals thousands of miles than to mine them locally? We're not talking about low-weight, high value things like spices here.

I'm assuming the Zhents are mostly concerned with the "classical" metals: gold, silver, copper, tin, lead, and iron. While I'm assuming the Moonsea also has most of the Realms' exotic metals (mithril, adamantine, arandur, etc.) and gemstones, I don't see those as major Zhent products; they'd want to use those for themselves.

The Zhent trade routes would make sense of the rest of Faerun was metal-poor, but it's the opposite. For instance, one of the major nodes of the Zhent trade route is Hill's Edge, which is itself a major iron mining and smithing center. In the North, where the Zhents are trying to trade out of Llorkh, you have cities that tend to either be founded on mines (Mirabar) or in former dwarf-holds with dwarf mines (Sundabar). And you have existing dwarf mines who export metals (Adbar).

Put all of that together and I don't see a large enough need for iron in the west to justify the Zhent trade routes. And while tin, copper, or lead might all be somewhat rare in the west, the profit margin on those would just be too small. And would the Zhents really be sending entire caravans thousands of miles loaded with nothing but gold and silver? That would make them the target of every dragon, not to say brigand, in the entire world.

I'm obviously missing something here. And since I've been running a game out of Hill's Edge for the past year or so, the inconsistency between what the Zhents are doing and my mental math is starting to bug me. Could you please shed some light on the subject? Many thanks, as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  16:02:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hey Ed (and THO), I've been doing a bunch of 'divine' research as of late into RW mythology and folklore, and I found there was an 'errata' of sorts regarding the Celtic pantheon in the original Deities & Demigods in issue #65 of Dragon Magazine (one of the major things it changes is it makes Oghma more of a warrior-god, because supposedly, thats closer to the myths). I'm actually trying to build an extended Fey/Elven pantheon ATM.

But that not why I am here. After the article, the very next article in that same issue happens to be by a chap named Ed Greenwood, pertaining to laws and governments. And therein, you mention YOUR Forgotten Realms (as you've often done, prior to its purchase by TSR). So, I have a couple of geography questions from that -

1) You mention "The Imperial city of Waterdeep" - was that just you just trying to let the readers know 'its impressive', or was it really 'Imperial' (meaning, there was an empire attached to it) in YOUR Realms.

2)"Many types or structures of governments exist, some of them quite novel. DMs should also remember that the “king” of Aluphin may command mighty hosts of warriors and speak with authority backed by gods, whereas the “king” of the adjacent realm of Berdusk may be only a war leader whose rule extends as far as the swordpoints of his bodyguards." Berdusk we know is a real place (in the Realms), but what of Aluphin? Was there such a place, or was that just fabricated for the article?

3)You mention a city of 'Zeluthin' (which doesn't sound familiar to me, but I could be wrong) where they have a weird way of 'torturing' political prisoners (tying them to bars of the cell facing inward, etc.) Is Zeluthin in The Realms?

And one non-geography question - you mention the entire plot revolving around Doust Sulwood (and his sudden 'rise to power') - did anything ever come of the drow allying with Githyanki? I don't ever recall hearing about Githyanki in the Shadowdale region before. I have a feeling THO will be able to help with this one.

Ed sent me this a while ago when I queried him on the exact same article:

Zeluthin, Aluphin, and of course Berdusk were all in the Realms, an independent city and two tiny realms that dwindled into . . . just the independent city of Berdusk. They were all part of the many, many attempts to establish kingdoms in the interior Heartlands, kingdoms that seldom lasted long because of brigands, internal dissent, and persistent hobgoblin, bugbear, gnoll, orc, and goblin raids (which could really "go to town" on hard targets like realms with borders, uniformed defenders, and the like, instead of just raiding individual homesteads). Aluphin was a rival of Berdusk, and was nearby to the west of Berdusk, Berdusk the realm was centered on Berdusk the city and just shrank, and Zeluthin was to the northwest of both. All long-vanished now (I'll have to dredge up my notes, but I'm thinking they existed in the 1100s DR, flourished in the early 1200s DR, and were more or less down to their present state by the end of that century).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2017 :  09:52:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for that bit, George - I'll add that to my notes.

@Hoondatha - I certainly couldn't answer that (not that you want me to), but I can tell you this from everything I've learned from making maps: Quality of ore also means a lot. Now, I've read they have very good iron ore up around the Moonsea, but for some reason I have a hard time (as well) thinking the Zhents are pulling better ore out of their mines then the dwarves, who can dig MUCH deeper, and have been doing so for thousands of years.

We also have lore about the Iron Throne moving weapons in the opposite direction... you'd think some of those ore-hungry smiths would move out of The North and start making stuff in the weapon-hungry eastern heartlands instead. I don't think the problem is with the Zhents, I think the problem lies with FR having a lot of VERY stupid smiths all living on the wrong side of the desert.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  01:56:40  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Hi Ed and dear THO. I'm came here to bother you with another question

Is Aurora's Emporium still in operation in the 1480s? If yes, who runs in? Perhaps some Aurora's descendant? Or is still Aurora in charge, having survived the century a la Volo or Durnan?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 03 Nov 2017 01:57:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  03:21:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Hi Ed and dear THO. I'm came here to bother you with another question

Is Aurora's Emporium still in operation in the 1480s? If yes, who runs in? Perhaps some Aurora's descendant? Or is still Aurora in charge, having survived the century a la Volo or Durnan?

Thanks in advance.

Her daughter Borealis runs it, now.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2017 :  10:08:50  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
This is canon in my Realms, now

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  05:45:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Actually - and don't quote me on this - I recall someone, who was at least somewhat official, saying Aurora herself was still alive, but quite old and tired.
I don't even know where or how I could have heard that - I don't even do the podcast thing, and don't bother with twitter. It may have even been in a dream (which is why I say don't quote me on it).

And as I just typed that, my brain flashed 'type', as in, 'you read this', but it is so vague I can't pinpoint it. If it wasn't in a dream, then it would have to be in only three 5e sources I own.

EDIT:
Okay, after checking the Wiki, I'm going to have to go with "it was in Shadowbane: Eye of Justice", which I just read recently. I hadn't even thought of that one - chalk one up for the FRwiki (and since its Kindle, I might even be able to run a search for the words... tomorrow).

EDIT2: Coudln't possibly tell you the pg.# on a Kindle, but it says I'm 65% through the book. Here's a relevant passage:
quote:
"Aurora", Ilira said."Far too long indeed."
They exchanged a kiss of greeting, although they did so without touching one another. Myrin thought this Aurora was well aware of Ilira's spellscar.
"Aurora, let me present Lady Myrin Darkdance."
"I am honored." The old woman gave the wizard a cool, appraising glance. Her face was a maze of wrinkles, leading to bright, shining eyes like jewels in the heart of the labyrinth. Myrin thought she was searching her features in minute detail.

This is circa 4e, so like post-1479 DR, or some-such. I forgot she actually makes a cameo in the book.

Hope that helps.

EDIT3:
Oh, and to answer your question ZeromaruX - that scene takes place IN Aurora's shop, I believe. Since I don't remember the characters ever leaving Westgate, I guess she personally manages the store in Westgate herself in the 4e/5e timeframe.

However, as an FR aficionado, I would say it is far more likely that she still 'moves about', from store to store, checking on things, and the characters just so happen to 'coincidentally' run into Aurora herself.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2017 05:50:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  03:53:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

Actually - and don't quote me on this - I recall someone, who was at least somewhat official, saying Aurora herself was still alive, but quite old and tired.
I don't even know where or how I could have heard that - I don't even do the podcast thing, and don't bother with twitter. It may have even been in a dream (which is why I say don't quote me on it).

And as I just typed that, my brain flashed 'type', as in, 'you read this', but it is so vague I can't pinpoint it. If it wasn't in a dream, then it would have to be in only three 5e sources I own.

EDIT:
Okay, after checking the Wiki, I'm going to have to go with "it was in Shadowbane: Eye of Justice", which I just read recently. I hadn't even thought of that one - chalk one up for the FRwiki (and since its Kindle, I might even be able to run a search for the words... tomorrow).

EDIT2: Coudln't possibly tell you the pg.# on a Kindle, but it says I'm 65% through the book. Here's a relevant passage:
quote:
"Aurora", Ilira said."Far too long indeed."
They exchanged a kiss of greeting, although they did so without touching one another. Myrin thought this Aurora was well aware of Ilira's spellscar.
"Aurora, let me present Lady Myrin Darkdance."
"I am honored." The old woman gave the wizard a cool, appraising glance. Her face was a maze of wrinkles, leading to bright, shining eyes like jewels in the heart of the labyrinth. Myrin thought she was searching her features in minute detail.

This is circa 4e, so like post-1479 DR, or some-such. I forgot she actually makes a cameo in the book.

Hope that helps.

EDIT3:
Oh, and to answer your question ZeromaruX - that scene takes place IN Aurora's shop, I believe. Since I don't remember the characters ever leaving Westgate, I guess she personally manages the store in Westgate herself in the 4e/5e timeframe.

However, as an FR aficionado, I would say it is far more likely that she still 'moves about', from store to store, checking on things, and the characters just so happen to 'coincidentally' run into Aurora herself.

Personally, I'd have it that Aurora manages ALL of her shops. By that I'm making an assumption that she's never been detailed, OR if she was that she's a high level wizard or sorcerer. I'd then have her using simulacrums in her shops.... or possibly a specialized form of awakened programmed illusion.... Anyway, not canon, but the idea popped in my head.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2017 :  04:46:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

EDIT3:

Wasn't it the whole point that her shops are linked via teleport circles?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Allowind
Acolyte

Russia
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2017 :  05:47:12  Show Profile Send Allowind a Private Message
Dear Ed, I'm sorry that I'm bothering you, but I'm very interested in the fate of Field Ward (Waterdeep) in the 5e.

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide mentions the former district MistShore as destroyed during the harbor clearing, but the Field Ward as existing. But in your novel 'Death Masks' both Mistshor and Field Ward are destroyed by dragon fire. Could you clarify their fate?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  16:12:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Happy Holidays to both THO and Ed.

My apologies if this has been asked and answered in the past, but I recently came across the copy of Ed's 'One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta' and it got me wondering how much of the old short stories and other bits of writing not published is out there to read through.

I've long wanted to get my grubby little fingers on a pre-editor-cut-up version of Spellfire for example; I remember Ed saying somewhere (maybe in a post here) that there was about 1/3 of that book cut out eliminating all the subplots and scheming of the mighty NPC, Zhents, and malaugrym.

I also noted in that short story a casual reference to a serpent - Elaith perhaps? Did Ed write stories about him way back when?

Thanks as always for your time and have a wonderfully spirits-filled New Year!
Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2017 :  22:36:48  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message
Friday before Christmas - Happy Holidays to Ed, THO, and all Realms fans checking out this thread!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2018 :  17:18:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
I have a question for both our goodsir, Ed of the Green Wood, and also our goodlady of realmslore, The Hooded One. It came about as I was watching an episode of the crown, and it hit me that you both live in Canada. I must say that its sad to myself that I actually had to use the "google" to even determine IF Canada still has Elizabeth II as their reigning monarch (which should express to folks just how easily it would be for people in the realms to not know the comings and goings of far flung provinces which don't have our modern contrivances). Anyway, seeing this show made me wonder about whether being part of a monarchy had provided any influence on your "creation" of the realms? Did it provide any ideas? Did it help flesh out any political, social, or procedural ways that you viewed any portions of the realms? For that matter, has anything in Canada ever driven something that you have ever developed? Have you ever visited any foreign countries besides America (and to this, I will add, that myself I've never been to any other country than two days in Alberta Canada as a child, and a week in Cancun, Mexico over twenty years ago) and did they have any influence on you?

I hope that this question finds you, Ed, and your wife in good health, and may Mystra bless your household. Please know that I only wish to know something of the man himself (and the wife who must put up with such shenanigans of his) who has brought me such enjoyment for years. It seems all that I know of you is that you are a great and friendly person, you are a librarian, and you are the most prolific writer I have ever met (even if it were but for a few moments long ago).

Oh, and since I know that he lives nearby, do please let Santa Claus know the next time he visits for mint hot chocolate that he has made a beautiful young nine-year old girl happy once again this year . She greatly loved the new bicycle.... and oddly enough the foot spa.... kids today

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  17:11:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
First, I'm wondering why we don't have a 2018 scroll up? I assume because this year was so...sparse...that an updated year was considered unwarranted.

Anyway, my question for Ed concerns the wizard sigil. In 2e, it was stated that a 10th-level or higher mage would suffer the Trifold Curse of Mystra for using another's sigil for deceptive purposes. This did not exist in 1e (as far as I know) so I'm wondering...

A) What changed after the Avatar Crisis to warrant the new Mystra making this alteration?

B) Is the rune somehow tied 'metaphysically' to the wizard (say, through their truename)?

C) What happens to repeat offenders using mage runes deceptively?

D) Do such runes possess power that the wizard can draw upon? I assume that they are often used in spellcasting in some fashion to 'mark' (within the Weave) who cast a given spell.

Thanks and I hope Ed, Lady Hood and family all have a great year.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 17 Jan 2018 17:12:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  17:48:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I can't address all of that, but I can address one part and speculate on a second part...

As for the 2018 bit, this thread has not been as active as prior years, so it simply escaped our notice. I'll be updating the year momentarily.

As for why the wizard sigil thing changed after the ToT... I'm thinking it wasn't a change, it was just information we didn't have before.

Keep in mind, if you go back to the OGB, Elminster is just described as a 500 year old wizard -- it wasn't until more attention was focused on him that we found out his age was twice that and that he was a Chosen of Mystra.

The OGB doesn't identify anyone as a Chosen of Mystra, in fact. However, Ed did say, once, that he knew El and the Seven Sisters were Chosen of Mystra before the Realms was ever published -- it was just not a detail that got shared, early on.

Similarly, the OGB mentions some of the Seven Sisters, but does not make any references to them as a group. And actually, Ed himself never came up with the Seventh Sister -- that didn't happen until the sourcebook that described all of them.

Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2018 :  02:55:13  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message
Hi, dear Ed and THO.

Lady Saharel the archlich was a minor role in the Shadows of Doom, Elminster described her was one of the High Mages of Netheril.

Was this "High Mage of Netheril" merely a title for some powerful Netheril wizards, or a special prestige class? If the latter, did High Mage of Netheril have any connection with Elven High Mage?

Apologize for my poor English

Edited by - lsls on 20 Jan 2018 03:23:54
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  21:46:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone!
Isls, the title High Mage was a political one (yes, every holder was and had to be a powerful mage, but it wasn't a rank of magical achievement/level title, nor a specialist profession [subclass, in game terms]).
This comes from Ed's lore answers, down the years, BTW.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  21:54:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
sleyvas, I'll have to check with Ed and get back to you, but I do know that Ed had older relatives who were trained in (British) heraldry, so I'm sure that had an influence, though the published Realms downplayed heraldry because "heraldry was Greyhawk" at TSR, back then.
And I know Ed has been all over the world (Australia, Germany, the UK many times, the Scandinavian and Baltic countries) in his almost 60 years.
And I don't THINK Ed and Santa are the same person, but you never know... ;}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  01:55:09  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message
Hooded One - so awesome to see you back! I hope all is well with you and Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Baldorar
Acolyte

Spain
8 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  09:05:28  Show Profile Send Baldorar a Private Message
Hi THO,

Thank you for taking your time to answer our questions. And thanks to Ed too.

Just one quick question:

I know that you play mostly sandbox type games. How does Ed put to writing which people are in which place, orwhat objects might you find here and there. How does he key his dungeons? To what extent does he improvise and to what extend does he write things? Does he just write down some key notes before sessions so that all the rest springs up to memory at play or does he write down lenghty descriptions of what's, for instance, on Room 8 of this or this other dungeon/location?

Maybe you can answer this yourself, but I'll be very thankfull in anyway!

Thank you and best regards!
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  09:52:49  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message
Hello Hooded Lady and greetings to Ed:
After checking the forums awhile and obtaining great answers from Wooly, Slevas, etc, just one question remains.
Tiamat as Ed says is building power, and Rise of Tiamat had a lot to do with treasure. The Dragon masks especially were required. Does this mean her power is locked in the masks (like other gods use chosen) and when she utterly destroys a mask and wearer she gains a piece of it? (Severin was yummy)

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  04:45:31  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

In Forgotten Realms Adventurers, Haldyn Stormkin, one of the Dukes of Calaunt is said to a man of great stature and strength with a height of 9 feet. What is the nature of his Goliath like size?

Thanks,

Sunderstone
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  05:18:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi THO and Ed,

In Forgotten Realms Adventurers, Haldyn Stormkin, one of the Dukes of Calaunt is said to a man of great stature and strength with a height of 9 feet. What is the nature of his Goliath like size?

Thanks,

Sunderstone

Platform shoes. He's actually only 5'1" and very insecure.

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2018 :  07:58:35  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi THO and Ed,

Thanks,

Sunderstone

Platform shoes. He's actually only 5'1" and very insecure.

Those are some serious shoes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000