Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New short story by Ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2016 :  19:30:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This just occurred to me, and given my usual 'gloomy' outlook on things, I have to wonder why this hadn't occurred to me earlier...

What if WotC 'bought' the story merely to satisfy their contractual agreements with Ed?

Buying a tiny little short story by him every year may work-out cheaper/more efficient than a lawsuit, in the log-run. All they have to do now is wait until Jan. 1st to release it an WALLAH, they're good for 2017.

This is something that I've been wondering about since when Ed hinted that the novel line was coming to an end back in April. However, I now doubt that it is true, since Ed's story is still labeled as fan fic and not official.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  00:04:00  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what would I need to do to get it on a kindle? I know this is not a tech support site, but I'd like to read it and never bought anything for my kindle that didn't come from amazon
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

but there was no action here.
A non-action can somethimes be as worse as an action. They deliberately paid attention to him out of all authors by asking him to modify his story. They could have declated it canon with the same breath.

Edited by - Mirtek on 12 Dec 2016 00:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  02:57:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

So what would I need to do to get it on a kindle? I know this is not a tech support site, but I'd like to read it and never bought anything for my kindle that didn't come from amazon
quote:

but there was no action here.
A non-action can somethimes be as worse as an action. They deliberately paid attention to him out of all authors by asking him to modify his story. They could have declated it canon with the same breath.

But then they would have had to have done the same for every single thing he writes, and anything written by any other former Realms designers/authors -- all on a site where part of the agreement to put something there is acknowledgement that it is non-canon.

And look at what they did, too: they asked him to add game material, since they've been avoiding straight fan fiction. They maintained their status quo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  09:55:01  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But then they would have had to have done the same for every single thing he writes,
And what would be the Problem with that? It's just re-confirming the agreement they gave with him anyway. T
quote:
and anything written by any other former Realms designers/authors
they could, but would not habe too. No realm author except ed could Make canon statements outside TSR/WotC publication in the past eithet
quote:
- all on a site where part of the agreement to put something there is acknowledgement that it is non-canon.
which is not the actual acknowlegdement. The actual acknowledgement is that anything there is non-canon unless WotC explicitly says it is.
quote:
And look at what they did, too: they asked him to add game material, since they've been avoiding straight fan fiction. They maintained their status quo.

And they could have finally introduced a `canon tag` with the same breath. Just linke that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  10:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're talking about them making an exception to their rules for one person, who knew the specifics of the website and obviously accepted them, since he posted there anyway.

Where is the benefit for WotC in opening this particular can of worms? Because regardless of what you say, as soon as they change their rules for one person, others are going to want that -- either the authors themselves or the armchair quarterbacks here.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  11:45:09  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're talking about them making an exception to their rules
no, just using the rules they set from day one. Aka anything that WotC declares canon is, anything else isn't.
quote:
as soon as they change their rules
that's not changing the rules, it's finally utilizing the rule they set fir themselves at day one.

quote:
for one person, others are going to want that -- either the authors themselves or the armchair quarterbacks here.
AS happened with the already existing agreement that EDS statements about FR are canon in any other medium while no one's else are?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  11:56:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

You're talking about them making an exception to their rules
no, just using the rules they set from day one. Aka anything that WotC declares canon is, anything else isn't.
quote:
as soon as they change their rules
that's not changing the rules, it's finally utilizing the rule they set fir themselves at day one.

quote:
for one person, others are going to want that -- either the authors themselves or the armchair quarterbacks here.
AS happened with the already existing agreement that EDS statements about FR are canon in any other medium while no one's else are?

No, the rule of the DM's Guild, which Ed obviously agreed with when he posted his content there, is that anything there is non-canon. Ed agreed to this rule -- he obviously didn't have an issue with it.

Why are you attacking WotC for something Ed agreed to?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  12:01:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone hates WoTC for their awful decisions in the past. It has tainted most peoples belief of their ability to make any decision in the future and has now passed into cultural memory (rpg culture) such that all decisions anyone disagrees with are now automatically the fault of WoTC, whether they have anything to do with the decision, product or anything else.

WoTC are now the rpg worlds scapegoat. The company you love to hate

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site