Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Looking for some non-Drizzt book
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karupt
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  03:17:07  Show Profile Send Karupt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi. Back in high school I would read some of the Forgotten Realms books. The Drizzt books mostly, because that was the majority of them. I've recently got back into reading but I can't stand the Drizzt books, they seem so old and familiar at this point. I want something new and fresh. The Forgotten Realms are so big and to stick to one dark elf seems like such a waste of a good setting.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to check out? I like to buy them too and the book stores only seem to stock the newer ones, but I'm not beyond checking out ebay and co.

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  04:11:08  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
E-bay is a great place to look, if you don't mind buying a bunch of assorted books, you can get some really good deals. If you're looking for specific books, check out Amazon's marketplace as well as hpb.com.

My personal favorite is a trilogy set within the 4th ed of D&D, an edition that many hate. ;P Regardless, the trilogy is, imo, one of the best ones of the Realms, and is by Richard Baker. The series is called Blades of the Moonsea, and comprises of the following books: Swordmage, Corsair and Avenger.

Other books that many like are the Erevis Cale books, Brimstone Angels, Starlight and Shadows, just to name a few series. Also, it's worth at least checking out Elminster even if mages aren't your thing, because he's the creation of Ed Greenwood, the father of the Realms. There are tons of fun stand alone books too, but I think I've already exceeded my suggestion quota, lol. XD
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  04:23:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything by Elaine Cunningham.

Or Ed, of course. Paul Kemp is another of my favorites (his Erevis Cale novels are great).

I liked the series with Alias & the Saurials - I forget what that was called.

Avoid War of the Spider Queen LIKE THE PLAGUE. Worst case of 'writer schizophrenia' I have ever seen (because they used all different authors, who pictured the characters differently, it was like reading about a completely different group in each book - it was beyond 'jarring').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  15:08:54  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Finder's Stone trilogy is great (and has an additional 3 books by the same authors with some of the same characters). It's by Jeff Grubb and wife Kate Novak.
Azure Bonds--the first of the novels-- is set pre-Time of Troubles and is a fun romp around Cormyr, the Dalelands, and Westgate. The Wyvern's Spur (book 2) is my personal favorite Realms book, it's a mystery set in the tiny Cormyrean town of Immersea and takes an unlikely character from the first book and makes him the main protagonist. Song of the Saurials (book 3) is more of a sequel to the first book and brings the characters back together to fight a familiar foe.

Can't recommend enough!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2016 :  00:45:12  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely agree with Markustay on anything at all, but here my answer is mostly the same: Finder's Stone trilogy, then Harpers series, then other books from Ed Greenwood (one warning: Spellfire had lobotomy-grade editing and Diamond Triangle novels were written pretty much in one day and then edited likewise) and Elaine Cunningham.
See also: Book list, ordered by date of publishing.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2016 :  13:03:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look through your local used book store for some of the old goodies.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2016 :  13:05:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I liked the series with Alias & the Saurials - I forget what that was called.

Blasphemy.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2016 :  19:18:00  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything by Elaine Cunningham (Song and Swords, Evermeet, Starlight and Shadows). I actually do recommend War of the Spider Queen, and it's two follow-ups, Lady Penitent (though there are lore issues and most of what happened has been ignored), and Empyrean Odyssey. I also recommend Finder's Stone, the Erevis Cale books, Brimstone Angels, Avatar series, Last Mythal and Blades of the Moonsea by Richard Baker.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Corrupteddragon
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  04:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Corrupteddragon's Homepage Send Corrupteddragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are so many fantastic FR books besides just Salvatore's. Some of my favorites are the two Moonshae trilogies, the Avatar trilogy (plus the 2 Cyric books), Finder's Stone trilogy, pretty much all of Ed's books (except for Spellfire...not a fan), and a ton of others.

I find that most of my favorite books were from the late 80s to the mid 90s. That's my go to time period for FR fiction (for the most part), but there are plenty of good books after that as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000