Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadowblade
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  06:33:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How would you convert this weapon to 3.x?

from the Complete Book of Necromancers pp. 103

Shadowblade: This weapon is a prison or receptacle for an undead shadow, and it derives certain powers from its unholy occupant. It functions as a blade +1 (either a dagger or a type of sword), and in addition to inflicting normal weapon damage, it also drains 1d4 points of Strength from a victim with each successful hit. Anyone drained of all Strength by the weapon becomes a shadow under the command of the wielder. A shadowblade cannot be "turned" or controlled by a priest, though any shadows created by the weapon have no such immunity. A shadowblade distinctly radiates evil and necromancy, both of which can be detected with elementary divinations. Only evil characters may employ this weapon. Good or neutral characters wielding the blade may be drained of 1-4 Strength points by its shadowy inhabitant unless they make a saving throw vs. death magic for each round they use the weapon. (XP 2,000.)

Since the weapon is said to be a "receptacle or prison" would that mean the shadow could be called forth or dismissed into the blade? What would be the effective range of such a dismissal? How would you handle the shadow's ability to create spawn? Or simply rule that they cannot much like the shadowdancer's companion shadow?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Oct 2016 02:17:16

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  21:14:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd let it create spawn - that makes it more fun.

I'd limit it though - maybe one per two levels of the character (so equivalent to Max spell lev.) I'd also make it so that you have to concentrate to direct them, like a spell (negating the ability to use spells while directing your 'slave shadows'), and also give some sort of % chance that you'll lose them when you are sleeping, or otherwise unconscious.

As for the main shadow within the blade, I don't think you should be able to free it, at least not easily. I see it more as a permanent magic item with the creature bound into it, rather than something along the lines of a genie's lamp. Dismissing it would be like trying to 'banish' the spirit of a Lich from its phylactory, IMO.

Cool item, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Oct 2016 21:16:16
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  22:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked a couple places and the only weapon property that deals ability damage, not even drain, in 3e is the marrowcrushing property (BoVD 112), which is a +3 bonus. Changing it to drain, increasing the enemy drain, and allowing you to make spawn would probably put it into the realm of a minor artifact or epic weapon.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  05:04:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While the idea of the shadow-slave creating its own minions does open up all kinds of hooks, I do not think that was intended. I do not feel that the wielder of such a weapon should be able to command a veritable army of undead.

If we increase the enhancement to +3 and change it from ability drain to ability damage and make it so the shadow-slave is unable to create spawn does that make it more playable without sending it into the realms of an artifact level item?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  22:53:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I checked a couple places and the only weapon property that deals ability damage, not even drain, in 3e is the marrowcrushing property (BoVD 112), which is a +3 bonus. Changing it to drain, increasing the enemy drain, and allowing you to make spawn would probably put it into the realm of a minor artifact or epic weapon.

Enfeebling
(Book of Exalted Deeds, pp. 113)

Price: +1 bonus
Property: Weapon
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint; Necromancy
Activation: —

On a critical hit, this weapon deals 1d6+2 points of temporary Strength damage in addition to its regular damage. Spell resistance applies. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted confer the enfeebling power upon their ammunition.

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, ray of enfeeblement

Broken?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Oct 2016 02:44:17
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  23:18:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unapproachable East, pp.55

Spectral Dagger: Fashioned from a bone of a creature that died violently, this appears to be just a dagger hilt made of bone. When a creature grasps the hilt, a dagger "blade" of light appears. (Treat the weapon as a dagger for proficiency, feats, and so on.) The blade winks out when the hilt leaves the wielder's hand. The spectral dagger has no attack bonus and deals no damage, but any target struck is affected by a chill touch spell (DC 11). Striking with the spectral dagger is considered a touch attack. Creatures with multiple attacks may use the spectral dagger in a full attack action to strike more than once per round just as if they wielded a normal dagger.
Caster Level: 5th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, chill touch
Market Price: 20,000 gp.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Oct 2016 02:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  03:00:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wounding. There are others that are not quite pertinent to the discussion at hand. A good, but incomplete resource.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Oct 2016 03:18:40
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  10:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely describe it as +3 or more equivalent magic item (for cost and making purposes). Ability damage is strong but ok for magic item I think.
For shadow inside I would say it is bound by creation of this item and cannot be dissmised or changed. Might be a good idea to limit the controling part as it is getting really strong with it. So I would say that there are two versions.
First have only Shadow inside, is +3 equivalent weapon and only creates normal Shadows after killing whithout ability to control them.
The second have Greater Shadow inside and also allows for limited control of created Shadows (as wizard have over undead he created) any over this amount is also free to do as they wish.

As the weapon have a evil aura it might help with interaction with undead in general...
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  03:18:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just recreate it as an equivalent to touch attack of shadow (monster) in every way, with noted limitations.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000