Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zoomings
Acolyte

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  02:20:08  Show Profile Send Zoomings a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can someone give me the order to read the Drizzt books in? I've read the first ten and what's with the 3rd book in the paths of darkness trilogy being the sellswords trilogy? What's the sellswords trilogy? Thanks

Edited by - Zoomings on 20 Oct 2016 02:20:46

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  02:42:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sellswords trilogy focuses on Entreri/Jarlaxle's adventures. Servant of the Shard is book 3 of the Paths of Darkness while also being the first book of the Sellswords.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  03:46:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, around that time they did that a lot, where books fall into multiple series. Mostly for repackaging purposes I imagine.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  05:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Yeah, around that time they did that a lot, where books fall into multiple series. Mostly for repackaging purposes I imagine.

From what I remember, Servant of the Shard was originally just in the Paths of Darkness trilogy. It wasn't until later when RAS decided to do the other Jarlaxle & Entreri novels that Servant of the Shard was assigned to a second series.

The other example of this off the top of my head would be splitting Elfsong and Elaine's other Arilyn novels into their own series when Dream Spheres came out after the Harper series had ended.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  06:03:16  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zoomings

Can someone give me the order to read the Drizzt books in? I've read the first ten and what's with the 3rd book in the paths of darkness trilogy being the sellswords trilogy? What's the sellswords trilogy? Thanks

From Bob himself
------
I've been getting many e-mails asking about reading order, so I promised to bring this list back up here. Note that this is MY recommended reading order for all my Realms books, not the exact list you'll see in the front of Archmage, which numbers the Legend of Drizzt.

(PLEASE SHARE THIS - I get a lot of questions regarding which book comes next!).

This is my suggested READING ORDER for my Forgotten Realms books, which all tie together.

So here goes:

I get a constant stream of PMs, e-mails and the like from people wondering where to go next with the Drizzt books. I certainly understand this confusion; there are so many books now that I get confused all the time!

So here it is, a COMPLETE LIST of my Forgotten Realms titles, as I would read them if I was just coming into the series. ALL CAPS TITLES are trilogy/quartet/quintet title. Also, I might do the ICEWIND DALE TRILOGY before DARK ELF - that is the unending debate!

THE DARK ELF TRILOGY*
1. Homeland*
2. Exile*
3. Sojourn*

THE ICEWIND DALE TRILOGY*
4. The Crystal Shard*
5. Streams of Silver*
6. The Halfling’s Gem*

THE STONE OF TYMORA (THIS SERIES IS NOW OUT OF PRINT, EXCEPT E-BOOK – BUT WE HAVE ALL REMAINING STOCK AT RASalvaStore!)
7. The Stowaway
8. The Shadowmask
9. The Sentinels

THE CLERIC QUINTET
10. Canticle
11. In Sylvan Shadows
12. Night Masks
13. The Fallen Fortress
14. The Chaos Curse

LEGACY OF THE DROW
15. The Legacy*
16. Starless Nights
17. Siege of Darkness
18. Passage to Dawn

PATHS OF DARKNESS
19. The Silent Blade
20. The Spine of the World
21. Sea of Swords

THE SELLSWORDS (featuring Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle)
22. Servant of the Shard
23. Promise of the Witch-King
24. Road of the Patriarch

THE HUNTER’S BLADES
25. The Thousand Orcs
26. The Lone Drow
27. The Two Swords

TRANSITIONS
28. The Orc King
29. The Pirate King
30. The Ghost King

THE NEVERWINTER SAGA
31. Gauntlgrym
32. Neverwinter
33. Charon's Claw
34. The Last Threshold

35. Neverwinter Tales Graphic Novel **

36. The Collected Stories of the Legend of Drizzt,

37. The Companions

38. Cutter Graphic Novel **

THE COMPANIONS CODEX
39. Night of the Hunter
40. Rise of the King
41. Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf

HOMECOMING
42. Archmage
43: Maestro
44. Hero (Coming in October, 2016)

* = These books are also available as GRAPHIC NOVELS from IDW
** = These are graphic novels ONLY. We've also got some of the INDIVIDUAL COMICS LEFT at the store, including some rare covers. Check it out.
*** = A collection of all the short stories I’ve written for these characters over the years, for anthologies or Dragon Magazine, and including a new story that details the end of Wulfgar’s long life. And yes, this is the collection the celebrities (Ice-T, Weird Al, Sean Astin, David Duchovney, Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, and others) read for Audible.com

And of course, all of these are available at http://rasalvastore.com/
, where you can get them signed and/or personalized.
Bob

ps. Speaking of confusion..."The Last Threshold" and "The Companions" run concurrently to each other. The immediate SEQUEL NOVEL to "The Companions" is "Night of the Hunter."

Hope this helps!

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 20 Oct 2016 06:04:28
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  06:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to you can skip the Stone of TYMORA and Cleric Quintet,though their characters come into play in some of the later Drizzt novels
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  08:18:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never even heard of the Stone of Tymora. Is it worth tracking down?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  14:00:21  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man the thousand orcs, the very first Drizzt book I bought for a vacation more than a decade ago. Got me right in the feels.

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  15:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I've never even heard of the Stone of Tymora. Is it worth tracking down?

It's a corroborated effort with Bob and his son Geno. It's about Maimun (sp?) Who appears in The Pirate King. It's not bad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000