Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 New ~300 monster bestiary by Leonaru
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  02:38:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just saw this, and I've liked the other bestiaries this guy has done. Its 178 pages long and contains more than 300 creatures. You can see the complete list of them if you look at the full size preview. It is $9.99, but given that I've seen 3 works by this guy so far (bestiaries of Faerun, Maztica, and Realmspace), so thinking it should be ok. Oh, and it does have the Arak (or Ravenloft Seelie/Unseelie Court from the shadow rift).

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/195699/Ravenloft-Bestiary--Monsters-of-the-Dread-Domain?src=newest_community&filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  16:38:11  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sweet

love his work. :)

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  19:47:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just an update of the 3e White Wolf Ravenloft Denizens of Dread/Darkness?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  13:44:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Its a 5e conversion of old Ravenloft creatures. Where he culled his list of creatures from, I can't say. I know the Arak (Shadow elves) were in the 2e shadow rift supplement, but I think alchemical children came from 3e. Despite the sources though, the conversion makes all stats hugely different than 2e/3e since 5e numerology is so different. I was never a big ravenloft fan, but there's not NEAR enough large monster collections out there for 5e, so anytime I see something by someone that looks fairly decent I grab it. The one thing I'm noting is a lot of the concepts I've been writing up visually, I'm starting to see in Storm King's Thunder (honestly, they may have been in the earlier adventures, but I haven't bought any except the underdark/abyss one, and I barely started reading that), just because we're using similar creatures in similar ways (just as a for instance, bad guys riding winged vultures, just because there aren't a lot of other low-power winged "evil" large beasts). More creatures means a wider visual spectrum without me having to take the time to develop them.

On that note too, with Storm King's Thunder, I kind of feel like they've started to get somewhat of a footing on what I would appreciate as source material and pay for.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  01:28:25  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good gosh can DM's guild add something that indicates which system a product is for? this is getting annoying.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  01:47:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Good gosh can DM's guild add something that indicates which system a product is for? this is getting annoying.

That does seem one detail too important to overlook.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  22:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can filter your search / browse results by edition via the left-hand menu. Is that not what you're looking for?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  02:38:06  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

You can filter your search / browse results by edition via the left-hand menu. Is that not what you're looking for?

That doesn't really help with a direct link like the one in the OP. It doesn't say what system or setting it's for.

A simple badge would solve this entirely.

Thankfully he actually put what his is for on the cover but most authors do not. At a glance you've no help to determine system/setting.

Edited by - Cards77 on 16 Oct 2016 02:39:11
Go to Top of Page

Leonaru
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  14:52:23  Show Profile Send Leonaru a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, it's me, Leonaru.

quote:

quote:
Its a 5e conversion of old Ravenloft creatures. Where he culled his list of creatures from, I can't say. I know the Arak (Shadow elves) were in the 2e shadow rift supplement, but I think alchemical children came from 3e.

The monsters come from the first and third Ravenloft MCAs, Denizens of Dread/Darkness as well as other 2e and 3e adventures and source books. There is also a handful monsters from Dragon and Dungeon.

I omitted a couple of monsters that aren't real monsters in a mechanical sense (e.g. the geist and the viruses), but the book covers about 95% of all Ravenloft monsters.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  00:34:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leonaru

Hello everyone, it's me, Leonaru.

quote:

quote:
Its a 5e conversion of old Ravenloft creatures. Where he culled his list of creatures from, I can't say. I know the Arak (Shadow elves) were in the 2e shadow rift supplement, but I think alchemical children came from 3e.

The monsters come from the first and third Ravenloft MCAs, Denizens of Dread/Darkness as well as other 2e and 3e adventures and source books. There is also a handful monsters from Dragon and Dungeon.

I omitted a couple of monsters that aren't real monsters in a mechanical sense (e.g. the geist and the viruses), but the book covers about 95% of all Ravenloft monsters.

Thank you for your work. The DMs Guild stuff you've put out has been very useful to me, even if its only to give me a base upon which to make my own modifications. But, for almost 99% of the stuff, so far I'm giving it a look over and it seems to fit.

If I might make a recommendation, any chance you can look into Zakhara next?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Leonaru
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  08:58:27  Show Profile Send Leonaru a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Coincidentally, I compiled a list of Al-Qadim monsters yesterday. I thought that someone had already made an AQ bestiary, but it seems that the DMG stuff focuses more on classes, backgrounds, and spells. There's about 140 AQ monsters, so this will take a while.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  14:01:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Coincidentally, I compiled a list of Al-Qadim monsters yesterday. I thought that someone had already made an AQ bestiary, but it seems that the DMG stuff focuses more on classes, backgrounds, and spells. There's about 140 AQ monsters, so this will take a while.

Understood. I was specifically looking for the Marrashi, as they are an established link to ancient realmslore via the grand history of the realms (and with a link to gnolls and Yeenoghu no less), plus they have links to the yak folk via Wolfgang Baur's dragon article on Yak Folk. Given how they reproduce, it would be interesting to see some mechanics on how they develop their taklif arrows, such that they don't just decimate an area making new Marrashi (is money the limiting factor, certain specific components that must grow, etc...).

From GHotR
c. –30400 DR
The Wasting Plague: In a conflict between the gnolls of Urgnarash and the rookery of Kookrui-Shara, shamans of Yeenoghu summon Marrashi — spirits of pestilence from the Barrens of Doom and Despair — to blight aearee crops and spread a wasting plague among the avians. Decimated, many Aearee-Quor turn to the demon lord Pazrael for salvation.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Leonaru
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  19:39:37  Show Profile Send Leonaru a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick update: The Al-Qadim Bestiary is on its works and about 15% done.
Go to Top of Page

Leonaru
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  12:29:34  Show Profile Send Leonaru a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: The Al-Qadim Bestiary is now available:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203765/Zakharan-Bestiary--Monsters-of-AlQadim?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  14:12:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203765/Zakharan-Bestiary--Monsters-of-AlQadim?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

Thank you. I saw it about a week or so back and posted in another thread that we have going here. So far, I've did a quick peruse of it, and its pretty good. I will be stealing some things from it to use over in non-Zakharan areas.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2017 :  14:13:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Thank you. I saw it about a week or so back and posted in another thread that we have going here. So far, I've did a quick peruse of it, and its pretty good. I will be stealing some things from it to use over in non-Zakharan areas.

Oh, and obviously, by stealing I mean "quoting and referencing to go to your offering for details on the creature", so that I don't have to do it myself.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000