Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Hero [Spoilers]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  23:19:11  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nice thing about NOT being a native speaker - you can sort of filter that out. The same way you switch to "just hearing the music and not the lyrics" if the song's good, but the lyrics are poor. :) I also mellowed out towards the naming thing (I mean... really...) after doing a bit of genealogy and finding that people in my family trees either recycled the same six names per gender all over and over again, or named their kids the most unbelievable stuff, like "Jodocus" or "Featherquill". :D

But yeah.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2016 :  10:19:47  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this feeling that RAS just went to F**K IT, when he learnt this novel will be THE last one. Because so much insane stuff happened during the book, that completely ignored RAS's own work, let alone other FR stuff. Only thing that was missing was Kane saying something Chuck Norris related stuff. This book made me think Rage of Dragons books. They were in that same monastery right? It would have been quite anticlimatic to Kane just wiping the dragons away...

I enjoyed quite bit this book, quite felt like David Eddings work. He wrote stuff like this to end of line books.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2016 :  16:08:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved all of Eddings' work except for the Dreamers series. That one seemed haphazard, and almost everything happened via dialogue, so I get what you mean.

I have gotten the impression that RAS was tired of writing about Drizzt for the last several novels. That said, I was fairly happy with the ending.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2016 :  21:12:18  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I like Regis, but have never been a Wulfgar fan, and I have liked him even less in the last few books.

Im not sure why RA didnt make him more interesting. Outside of him wanting to tap every skirt he sees, he's basically the same guy. Why not buff up his barbarian abilities? Give him some magical war cries, cool fighting tactics etc. Boost up Aegis fang as well.

Edited by - jordanz on 08 Nov 2016 21:14:10
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2016 :  21:17:45  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or give him his history. He's got so much baggage. Nope. You know, recovered from a really shitty time, grew out of the stubborn chauvinist he used to be because it cost him what he most wanted, had kids who aren't even alive anymore by all accounts, has to repeat his history in this one in a creepy way... Another kid possibly left behind, another encounter with a succubus (like, when he was Errtu's prisoner?)... he could easily have had more than one and a half layers.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2016 :  20:33:37  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question for sno4wy; if you hate Bob's writing so much, why have you apparently followed it for 30+ books? :D

Anyway... for those that don't hate Bob's writing, I think this was an enjoyable book, and I hope WOTC reverses their decision to end the novel line so we can get more. The only thing I really didn't buy was Yvonnel's conversion to the side of angels. I liked that the ending left Lolth's motivations ambiguous. And Entreri clearly isn't fully redeemed, given his actions at the end. He's still got his dark side.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  07:03:41  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Question for sno4wy; if you hate Bob's writing so much, why have you apparently followed it for 30+ books? :D

Anyway... for those that don't hate Bob's writing, I think this was an enjoyable book, and I hope WOTC reverses their decision to end the novel line so we can get more. The only thing I really didn't buy was Yvonnel's conversion to the side of angels. I liked that the ending left Lolth's motivations ambiguous. And Entreri clearly isn't fully redeemed, given his actions at the end. He's still got his dark side.

I dont think Entreri did anything evil with that assassination. He did kill clearly evil ruler, that terrorized his subjects and by doing it saved countless of innocent people. I think it was goodly act, rather than evil. Neutral at its worst. (And I know that assassination is evil act in D&D rules.)
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  17:25:43  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure if you're actually interested in understanding my point of view, or if you're just baiting/trolling. You assume incorrectly that just because I criticize Bob's writing, that I would entertain so strong an emotion as to "hate" it. By that logic, everyone who ever criticizes anything automatically irrationally hates that thing, and anyone who ever engages in any sort of critique should be disregarded because clearly they hate the subject matter that they're not showering with praises and are only following it because of... I'm not even sure where this illogical chain of reasoning goes, other than as an attempt to invalidate anyone who dares express an opinion contrary to your own.

As for why I've read all of Bob's FR books, the answer is because I try to read every Forgotten Realms novel and, surprise!, I don't actually hate his writing. Not that I think you'd actually care as you've already dismissed my points, but I really like some of his earlier books.

In any case, the earlier antagonism in this thread has settled down, I'm sure that everyone would appreciate it if you or anyone else would refrain from trying to make an issue out of someone daring to express a dissenting opinion.

Edited by - sno4wy on 21 Nov 2016 17:32:49
Go to Top of Page

hairogumasan
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  17:49:45  Show Profile Send hairogumasan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madpig
I dont think Entreri did anything evil with that assassination. He did kill clearly evil ruler, that terrorized his subjects and by doing it saved countless of innocent people. I think it was goodly act, rather than evil. Neutral at its worst. (And I know that assassination is evil act in D&D rules.)

Agreed. It was no small feat for Entreri to be able to get past all of that security, despite how Bob wrote that it wasn't much different from assassinating a Pasha. A king is a very different matter from a Pasha, commanding many more resources, thus posing many more risks. Furthermore, Entreri had no impetus to do it other than to do a good deed, so while he did kill someone, the act of doing so I don't think would be construed as evil. The amount of personal risk he incurred without personal payout to accomplish a task solely for the good of others is pretty darn heroic. ;-P I'd say he's pretty darn redeemed. Furthermore, Drizzt and the Companions kill many evil beings, but when they do that, they certainly aren't doing evil deeds. For Entreri to follow in their footsteps, if that wasn't an act of redemption, I'm not certain what is. ;-P
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  14:20:03  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not saying it was evil, but it's something that would be outside Drizzt's personal moral boundaries, even though he comes to accept Entreri doing it. So I don't think there's any danger of the characters becoming too alike.
Go to Top of Page

hairogumasan
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  15:58:01  Show Profile Send hairogumasan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not saying it was evil, but it's something that would be outside Drizzt's personal moral boundaries, even though he comes to accept Entreri doing it. So I don't think there's any danger of the characters becoming too alike.

Questionable. ;-P As Hero seems to be the final Drizzt book, there's really no way to tell, however, as Salvatore did indeed hammer the dimension out of many of his characters, should things continue, it isn't outside of the realm of possibility that Entreri will indeed walk the path that Drizzt did. It's already the strong implication that Yvonnel is Drizzt's successor in this regard, and as I'm inclined to believe from the trends set forth not only in Hero but in preceding Drizzt books, Salvatore tends to use many of the same kinds of tropes and themes, there really isn't much that Entreri could do to "find himself" other than to complete the turnaround into becoming a total good guy. Not that this is at all realistic, it's just the standard sort of theme that Salvatore tends to use all too much. ;-P
Go to Top of Page

Paran
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  13:27:08  Show Profile Send Paran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read it and honestly thought it was meh. And I say this as a HUGE Drizzt fan. More than half of it felt like Bob just tried to fill in page space with pointless dialogue/scenes. If the novels aren't cancelled and brought back later on I'd love to see a new author's perspective on Drizzt. I already have 30 books to come back to in case the new one sucks so why not?
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  19:47:08  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
7/10, a strong tie-up to a long running series. Here's my thoughts:

Liked the return to the Bloodstone Lands and the Monastery of the Yellow Rose
Liked Kane
Liked the Demon Lord / Faezress mind****ing Drizzt had to deal with, overall
Liked the return of Wulfgar and Regis, overall
Liked Yvonnel Baenre

Dislikes
Some of the execution of the Demon Lord / Faezress mind****ing - someone pointed out some stuff that Salvatore could've pulled from the past to make it more entertaining

The overly long prologue intro of Wulfgar and Regis

Melcanthet - I would've preferred an Errtu that took advantage of Lolth's plans and found a way to ascend himself to Demon Lord rank

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  04:21:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After some discussion with the other mods, a post was removed from this discussion.

Let's leave the real-world politics out of these discussions, please, and show a little more respect to others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Mar 2017 04:10:02
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2017 :  00:34:12  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone just spoil the whole trilogy for me please?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000