Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Hero [Spoilers]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  03:15:18  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadolan

2 more likely not so spoilerish questions:

- Does the book address the reason why Arty became so long lived or is it pretty much confirmed that it was his sword that did so?

- Does Drizzt actually replace Twinkle with Lullaby(Tiago's sword) or does he just give that powerful blade to someone else?

1. As someone else has said, Artemis' long life is suggested to be tied to Charon's Claw and not his jeweled dagger, as Claw was recovered perfectly undamaged from the primordial's pit.

2. Nope, something better. Catti-brie uses her Mary Sue powers to not only repair Twinkle, but combine it with Vidrinath so that the sword has both weapons' power. She also does the same thing with Bruenor's already upgraded shield and Orbcress, thus dropping two ridiculously OP weapons in the CotH's hands. As for how Catti has the ability to do so, there's some stuff about how the primordial (inexplicably) trusts her and willingly grants her all of his unrivaled power and ability to reforge what were already great and unprecedented feats of craftsmanship created by a long-lived master craftsman drow into items that surpassed even that power.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  04:10:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So she's basically the best weapon/armorsmith in the whole Faerun?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  04:37:24  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

So she's basically the best weapon/armorsmith in the whole Faerun?

I'm sure that some will argue with you because it's stated that she has no idea what she's doing and it's a large favor shown her by the primordial, and let's not forget how it's stated that she's properly respectful and appreciative but...

Yes, pretty much. -_-
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  08:28:24  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

Does Kane make an appearance? I recall RAS hyped his return for this book in some or other form. Maybe to fight/test Drizzt or Entreri?

Also what about the Demon Lords? Does one of them play a major role in this book or were they or defeated somehow already? Or some other major demon? It would be a shame for the likes or Orcus or Grazzt to be dealt with so easily.

Finally, does Entreri get so settle things with Calihye if she is still alive? Her being mentioned so often by him seemed suspicious to me...
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  14:35:23  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

- The big baddie succubus queen storyline

Care to elaborate with quick who is she/what did she do (/where/when/why/how are of lesser importance to me)?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  15:45:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting...

Does Kane make an appearance? I recall RAS hyped his return for this book in some or other form. Maybe to fight/test Drizzt or Entreri?

Also what about the Demon Lords? Does one of them play a major role in this book or were they or defeated somehow already? Or some other major demon? It would be a shame for the likes or Orcus or Grazzt to be dealt with so easily.

Finally, does Entreri get so settle things with Calihye if she is still alive? Her being mentioned so often by him seemed suspicious to me...

I haven't read the book yet, but unless her life was prolonged like Entreri's, she is probably dead, since the Sellswords trilogy was well before the Spellplague. But I could be wrong.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  08:10:45  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

Interesting...

I haven't read the book yet, but unless her life was prolonged like Entreri's, she is probably dead, since the Sellswords trilogy was well before the Spellplague. But I could be wrong.

She was half-elf i think. So she could be alive. I dont remember half-elven lifespan, so i could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  12:19:49  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not got my copy yet, but wondering if Gromph is in this one much?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  14:03:56  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the various questions posed by different people:

I think it's fair to say that Kane plays a pretty prominent role throughout the novel. He fights Drizzt, as well as helps against a Big Bad that appears in the book. His first reason for appearing is after Drizzt's "illness" fails to be treated by Kimmuriel. The Dragon Sisters suggest to Jarlaxle that ascendance, a la Kane, would save Drizzt, because while his discipline is near perfect, it isn't totally perfect, like that attained by Kane, the mortal that's transcended death (and if I'm not mistaken, is at least a God Spark level 0, right?)

Entreri's history with Calihye is finally clarified. She is indeed half-elf, and Jarlaxle suspects that she still lives, but he hasn't heard from her in a long time, not since around when Entreri was captured by the Netherese. It's revealed that she left Entreri by her own accord, as she'd found peace and closure and wanted to move on in her life away from him. She wanted to say goodbye to him though, which is why Jarlaxle granted them those "wonderful tendays". I think this sequence is one of the very few believable and well-written aspects of "Hero".

Gromph is... well, he's in it, but I don't know that his role is anything more than minorish. Certainly less than the one Kane plays.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  14:16:49  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers sno4wy :)

Btw is Entreri's own mental sickness from Maestro brought back here or did he somehow fix it via willpower or something? It would mean that Entreri is more disciplined than Drizzt or just less filled with doubts...

Also, does Entreri help Drizzt on his "healing" quest or does he simply show up against the Big Bad?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  14:50:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I had forgotten Calihye was a half-elf

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  03:47:19  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the novel is coming out tomorrow, I'll just leave this last remark here:

GODDAMNIT IT'S "ASCETICS" NOT "AESTHETICS" AFA:LK:LETKAE:LTJE:LTJALE:TJEL:T but then again, given how the Monastery of the Yellow Rose is apparently really decorated, maybe it really is an order of aesthetics. =_= Whatever happened to these guys having barren walls and the like?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  04:12:44  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the answers sno4wy :)

Btw is Entreri's own mental sickness from Maestro brought back here or did he somehow fix it via willpower or something? It would mean that Entreri is more disciplined than Drizzt or just less filled with doubts...

Also, does Entreri help Drizzt on his "healing" quest or does he simply show up against the Big Bad?

Oops, didn't see this one.

Entreri only suffered from the Abyssal Sickness while he was being exposed to the faerzress abnormality down in the Underdark. Yvonnel planted a curse in Drizzt to exacerbate his condition, so Entreri's faded after he was no longer exposed to the source of it, where as Yvonnel's curse sent Drizzt's sickness spiraling.

Entreri does play a part in Drizzt's healing quest. Ironically, or perhaps not so much so, it's Yvonnel's idea for him to do it and her concept on how to do it.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  04:29:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yvonnel seems to be playing both sides, though I got that impression in Maestro, too. So she placed a curse on Drizzt to make him more affected?

Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  10:30:07  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to sell really good. amazon germany doesnt even have the hardcover to pre-order. So i pre-ordered it on amazon uk one week ago. But it is out of stock. Now I cancelled the pre-order, went to ebay and bought it there. Lets hope the seller is reliable. Since I cancelled my amazon-order, otherwise I will have no book at all.
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  13:09:51  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else find it gross what they coerced Wulfgar into?
Also weird: how Kimmuriel "fixes" peoples' brains. They all come out more docile, especially the crazy women.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  14:06:51  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

Did anyone else find it gross what they coerced Wulfgar into?
Also weird: how Kimmuriel "fixes" peoples' brains. They all come out more docile, especially the crazy women.

Crazy women? You mean Dahlia and/or Calihye?

Is it explicitly stated that this is some side effect of Kimmuriel's fixing or they simply seem to act more meek and more submissive than usually?
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  14:15:24  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well - I don't have scientific proof that woulf hold up in court, but yes.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  14:32:13  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of shit that is not right with this book, that's always been a factor of Bob's writing, but I agree with you about that DandelionClock. Also that whole spiel about how Afafrenfere's blockage to attaining enlightenment was loving a man who didn't deserve his love? Wtf? I mean, I totally buy that loving the wrong person could often be very self-destructive, but it isn't explicitly stated with anyone except the first and only openly non-heterosexual character in Bob's book. Given his long history with fetishizing lesbians, and now this, color me extremely disapproving.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  14:32:19  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

Well - I don't have scientific proof that woulf hold up in court, but yes.

Well Dahlia did go through some severe trauma(I think Calihye likely too) which caused her to be constantly angry(kinda like Entreri) and hold hatred towards both the world and herself.

Maybe this "fixing" just caused her to forgive for everything and get over the anger that was burning within her?

Which would make the calmer and more submissive personalities the original ones before the trauma?

Still, it would be hilarious to see ex femme fatale Dahlia making cookies for Arty while acting lovey dovey lol.

Edited by - Shadolan on 25 Oct 2016 14:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  14:37:46  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

There's a lot of shit that is not right with this book, that's always been a factor of Bob's writing, but I agree with you about that DandelionClock. Also that whole spiel about how Afafrenfere's blockage to attaining enlightenment was loving a man who didn't deserve his love? Wtf? I mean, I totally buy that loving the wrong person could often be very self-destructive, but it isn't explicitly stated with anyone except the first and only openly non-heterosexual character in Bob's book. Given his long history with fetishizing lesbians, and now this, color me extremely disapproving.

I think Afafrenefere might be Bi rather than homosexual. I recall how he seemed a bit bewitched by Tazmikella's beauty when she used her human/elf form.

Also were there any actual lesbians in RAS books? Calihye was bi as was Dahlia. Maybe Parissus(Calihye's female lover) was a lesbian.

As for Parbid he was given very little characterization but Ambergis seemed to imply that all folks in their old group were quite awful and she only saw Afafrenfere as the only decent one in the bunch which is why she chose to spare his life.

At least Kimmuriel did not "fix" Afarenfere's sexual preferences by suddenly making him see that he was never into males but females. Or did he? I'm still waiting for my book to arrive.

Edited by - Shadolan on 25 Oct 2016 14:40:10
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  14:48:42  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To use real-world analogies for what Kimmuriel is and isn't capable of (which is as much stated in the books), he's a super perfect brain surgeon, but not at all a therapist. His treatment of Dahlia is so successful because, as he explicitly explains, her brain was actively messed up by Methil, and all he had to do is find all of the stuff that Methil messed up and undo them. Drizzt's condition was different, just as Dahlia's traumas that led to her anger are different, from a bunch of messed up structures imposed by an external force. Kimmuriel said that he couldn't fix Drizzt because the change had to come from within, and that should be the same case for Dahlia as well. If Kimmuriel did, in fact, "fix" all of Dahlia's troubles, then there's no reason why he couldn't have done the same for Drizzt. I'd like to think that even Bob's trademark inconsistencies aren't *that* bad.

Calihye was never as angry as Entreri or Dahlia. We know nothing about her past, and as far as we do know, the most traumatizing thing for her was the death of her dear friend (and possible lover) Parissus. Once she was able to move on from that, and since what also caused her a lot of stress was not being able to choose between leaving with Artemis or staying in the Bloodstone Lands was a matter that was solved for her by Kimmuriel taking her away, there wasn't much left for her to be bitter about.

Afafrenfere's exact sexual orientation doesn't really matter to my point. The fact that he is definitively attracted to other men, however, does, and that is true whether he's gay, bi, pan, demi, whatever. The fact that the women weren't lesbian also doesn't matter, as by "fetishizing lesbians" I mean that Bob fetishizes women-women romantic/sexual interactions. We see a lot of female/female sex, that, some of which are downright unnecessary, whereas the only mention of anything male/male are cast in extremely negative lights.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  15:10:20  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To use real-world analogies for what Kimmuriel is and isn't capable of (which is as much stated in the books), he's a super perfect brain surgeon, but not at all a therapist. His treatment of Dahlia is so successful because, as he explicitly explains, her brain was actively messed up by Methil, and all he had to do is find all of the stuff that Methil messed up and undo them. Drizzt's condition was different, just as Dahlia's traumas that led to her anger are different, from a bunch of messed up structures imposed by an external force. Kimmuriel said that he couldn't fix Drizzt because the change had to come from within, and that should be the same case for Dahlia as well. If Kimmuriel did, in fact, "fix" all of Dahlia's troubles, then there's no reason why he couldn't have done the same for Drizzt. I'd like to think that even Bob's trademark inconsistencies aren't *that* bad.

Calihye was never as angry as Entreri or Dahlia. We know nothing about her past, and as far as we do know, the most traumatizing thing for her was the death of her dear friend (and possible lover) Parissus. Once she was able to move on from that, and since what also caused her a lot of stress was not being able to choose between leaving with Artemis or staying in the Bloodstone Lands was a matter that was solved for her by Kimmuriel taking her away, there wasn't much left for her to be bitter about.

Afafrenfere's exact sexual orientation doesn't really matter to my point. The fact that he is definitively attracted to other men, however, does, and that is true whether he's gay, bi, pan, demi, whatever. The fact that the women weren't lesbian also doesn't matter, as by "fetishizing lesbians" I mean that Bob fetishizes women-women romantic/sexual interactions. We see a lot of female/female sex, that, some of which are downright unnecessary, whereas the only mention of anything male/male are cast in extremely negative lights.

Wasn't Drizzt problem also the curse that Yvonnel put upon him? Also Drizzt always was full of doubts whether it came to elements of his relationship with Catti or how to deal with bad guys...or even with his own place in the world. Dahlia was angry mostly due to Alegni's shadow and later Drizzt choosing a "ghost" over her. With Alegni dead and Dahlia apparently loving Arty more than she loved Drizzt both of her biggest issues would be gone. She might still be jealous or have nightmares but won't act so ruthless and be so moody perhaps...

I think it was mentioned in Road of the Patriarch that Calihye was also holding some demons inside which was why she choose not to remove the scar from her face in the first place. She used the scar to hide herself or something like that.

As for lesbian chicks fetish I don't recall any sex scenes between women. Neither between Calihye/Parissus nor Dahlia/other chick. Do you remember some other examples?

Besides the relationship between Calihye and Parissus was not particularly detailed so I dunno if it was portrayed so positively and Dahlia killed her female lovers without mercy.

IMO a bigger problems was so much rape lately(especially when it happened to Dahlia mostly). Guess it was to make the dark elves seem as mean as possible and to make Tiago's death extra satisfying?

Edited by - Shadolan on 25 Oct 2016 15:15:29
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  15:29:08  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? You don't remember any of the sex scenes between women? O_o I'm sincerely very surprised, sorry if my tone seems condescending, it isn't, it's just 100% shock. For instance: that threesome with two women and one guy during the Neverwinter Saga, I believe it was Arunika, a Shadovar commander whose name escapes me, and her servant that became the guy wrapped in Umberhulk skin. The priestesses of Lolth having sex with a Handmaiden in drow form. Jarlaxle's threesome with two women, which carried on having sex after he'd left the bed. In this most recent book, Malcanthet seduces the princess of Helgabal and has sex with her in the queen's own bed. Those are just a handful of examples, ones that I list off the top of my head. There definitely aren't any about sexual encounters between two men, barely any mention of romantic encounters until with Afafrenfere.

I agree with the rape problem. However, I don't know that overusing it is a bigger problem with the way that Bob represents anything non-heterosexual involving men. The two are both very bad.

I don't agree with the psychoanalysis part, but I'm not sure how much it'd be worth debating. Regardless of how their psychologies developed, it shouldn't have happened that fast, and Kimmuriel most certainly wouldn't have been able to "fix" any part of it.

Edited by - sno4wy on 25 Oct 2016 15:30:27
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  15:45:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just get annoyed with Kimmuriel as Deus Ex Machina all the time. He started as a psionic that was great at kinetic barriers and teleportation--but could also speak with telepathy to put him apart from regular mages. Somehow he is a master of everything mind related and making people forget things. I suppose he had 100 years of work with the mind flayers to bone up his skillset.

I did an lol when Kane drop kicked the Lolth handmaiden. I know Kane is just like a demigod but it strikes me as odd to think of a man drop kicking a blob of wax and having it take affect. I am so over Kane and don't understand why he was brought back here other than Bob has a hard on for monks and wanted a way to bring back Kane for the "last" Drizzt book? It felt out of place to me.
Go to Top of Page

Shadolan
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  15:46:05  Show Profile Send Shadolan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? You don't remember any of the sex scenes between women? O_o I'm sincerely very surprised, sorry if my tone seems condescending, it isn't, it's just 100% shock. For instance: that threesome with two women and one guy during the Neverwinter Saga, I believe it was Arunika, a Shadovar commander whose name escapes me, and her servant that became the guy wrapped in Umberhulk skin. The priestesses of Lolth having sex with a Handmaiden in drow form. Jarlaxle's threesome with two women, which carried on having sex after he'd left the bed. In this most recent book, Malcanthet seduces the princess of Helgabal and has sex with her in the queen's own bed. Those are just a handful of examples, ones that I list off the top of my head. There definitely aren't any about sexual encounters between two men, barely any mention of romantic encounters until with Afafrenfere.

I agree with the rape problem. However, I don't know that overusing it is a bigger problem with the way that Bob represents anything non-heterosexual involving men. The two are both very bad.

I don't agree with the psychoanalysis part, but I'm not sure how much it'd be worth debating. Regardless of how their psychologies developed, it shouldn't have happened that fast, and Kimmuriel most certainly wouldn't have been able to "fix" any part of it.

Wow, that seems to be a fair amount. I really hardly noticed that stuff. I don't care all that much about fan service. I did find regular interactions between characters more interesting.

I guess RAS simply chose to give more girl on girl material than man on man because the former is often considered more "hot". At least to the male heterosexual readers that is. Probably RAS thought that men on men scenes would be less welcomed.

It would be easier to just greatly diminish the amount of sex fanservice then so that it wouldn't look as if the writer tries to appeal to the most base "interests" of a specific group of readers lol.

So Dahlia does not show any signs of trauma at all now? And if she doesn't could it be simply due to her not having much "page time" in the book?
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  19:26:38  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page time does surely play a role. I mean, her son gets two half sentence mentions and that was an integral part of her storyline once. (Did I overread in my haste how she learnt he was still alive?)

It looks like it was dropped along with Effron* for something more problematic, aka - crazy evil chick, lots of rape happens to her until we can all feel sorry for her, redemption after that - with some deus ex machina thrown in. That also makes the fact so icky that she was fixed by Kimmuruel, who also took advantage of her - basically her character development from back story to humbled mellowed end was men forcing themselves upon her. Unneccessary.

Instead of developing herself as a character, she gets this (victim role) and then gets fixed by one of the guys who abused her (apparently the scene wasn't supposed to be read that way, but it really wasn't ambigious anyways - Kimmuriel finds her out of her mind, then actively puts her into a dream/ trip state in which she mistakes him for Drizzt - that isn't her as the "aggressor" and him just letting it happen. That's like being left alone with a defenseless mental patient, giving them LSD, and then having sex with them knowing they won't remember).

Sorry if I am repeating myself, but these bits/ decisions really stayed a thorn in my side, reading wise.

Then you see the similarities to Cali - "crazy, haunted, bi" woman gets thrown out after trying to harm her lover - then gets her brain fixed by Kimmuriel - gets back to Entreri for a more mellow encounter. I forgot if the question was answered why she would be so emotionally cruel as to have him believe she was kidnapped and ended up god knows where. I mean, that would be a horrible and repulsive thing to do to your ex even if it was resolved the next day, instead of just saying, here, this won't work out, but I am glad we could make amends and end it on better terms. Someone help me out there, because that is worse than just staying away from the guy in my opinion.

Now, after what sno4wy posted, can someone point me to a goodly aligned woman in the books that is bi or lesbian - or does it always go hand in hand with moral ambivalence? Hm. Again, someone help me out there.

Btw, a third crazy chick is still out there after having been abused by the same baddies, sexually, too, hence rendering it all as "to show how bad he is" even more unnecessary because Doum'wielle already served that purpose, which is cheap enough - writing that kind of thing it just to make you a) sorry for murderous women and b) hate the men who do this to them (but only if they do it a certain way).

PS: Wulfgar. Was that necessary? Like I said, "Sleep with her to avoid a war... no pressure..." - here, you may want to reverse the gernders if you don't already see it... and everyone chuckles afterwards.

PPS: I loved the idea of everyone staying kind of connected in the end. But is it really a given that the host tower will be a source of stability when influenced by people/ parties with so wildly conflicting moral alignments?

*Was anyone -Amber, Afafrenfere- informed or rightfully miffed when they learnt Jarlaxle knew all this time where their lost companion was all these years (3 I think)?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  19:28:37  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I guess RAS simply chose to give more girl on girl material than man on man because the former is often considered more "hot". At least to the male heterosexual readers that is. Probably RAS thought that men on men scenes would be less welcomed.

This is exactly what I mean by the fetishization of lesbianism, or, more accurately, of female/female "action".
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  19:31:55  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I just get annoyed with Kimmuriel as Deus Ex Machina all the time. He started as a psionic that was great at kinetic barriers and teleportation--but could also speak with telepathy to put him apart from regular mages. Somehow he is a master of everything mind related and making people forget things. I suppose he had 100 years of work with the mind flayers to bone up his skillset.

I did an lol when Kane drop kicked the Lolth handmaiden. I know Kane is just like a demigod but it strikes me as odd to think of a man drop kicking a blob of wax and having it take affect. I am so over Kane and don't understand why he was brought back here other than Bob has a hard on for monks and wanted a way to bring back Kane for the "last" Drizzt book? It felt out of place to me.

I agree with you regarding Kimmuriel. I also have a perspective for Kane's purpose in the book, although I suspect that it'll only make you more done with him. ;P

Kane helps Drizzt achieve ascension like he himself has. Technically speaking, in terms of D&D anyway, isn't it the case that ascension is a viable, albeit difficult, path for a character to follow, and if they're successful, they can then choose to become a Divine Being or a God as a prestige class?

I mean, we've all known that Bob's refusal to acknowledge Eilistraee all this time is because she, what she embodies, and what her followers are, take away from the special snowflakeness that is Drizzt. What if it's actually greater than that, that there can't be another goodly drow diety, because Bob's plan had been to install his poster boy to be one all along? I mean, Drizzt certainly is on the path to become one now. :P
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  19:35:03  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I would object to another goodly drow deity, but...that would mean Drizzt would have to undergo apotheosis, like Shevarash did. I don't know if that necessarily requires death or not. If Drizzt actually worked with Eilistraee, as Vhaeraun is now doing it, I wouldn't be opposed, but if he overrides them and they continue to be ignored, then I may have issues lol.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000