Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's Guide to Monsters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  14:19:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is anybody buying site unseen? I sure would like a sample before I pre-order.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  14:51:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed was heavily involved in it, as far as I know. That's enough for me (even though I won't buy it right away, since getting it shipped to my country will cost quite a lot, considering the shipping cost and customs taxes). I would indeed like some previews, tho.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  15:00:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Is anybody buying site unseen? I sure would like a sample before I pre-order.

Yes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  20:52:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just pre-ordered the alternate cover. I hope it's as good on the inside. Sadly, I don't have much confidence in WotC, but what I've read of SKT has me cautiously optimistic. That and the fact my LGS didn't need a deposit. The clerk said Nov. 5th as the hopeful release date.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Sep 2016 20:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  21:05:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yuan-ti and Illithid. Two of my favorites. Hopefully we will get a sneak preview of 5e psionics, though that may be a bit too much to hope for, all things considered.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Sep 2016 21:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  21:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pre ordered the special cover here. I will at least use it for the crunch options, if not the lore. I've a couple players who won't even think about rolling up a character unless they can play a goblinoid race, and half orc doesn't count.
Has there been any talk about psionics? I get that some of the races that are in the book are known for the psionic abilities, but even the MM presents them as spells that they can cast.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  21:24:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Just wishful thinking. I will be happy with a solid monster book.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  21:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for Nyth, but I've not heard any real rumors to get my hopes up.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  21:32:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nyth? Had to look that one up. Dopplegangers probably. Rust Monsters.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Sep 2016 21:34:22
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  21:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doppelgangers and Rust Monsters are in the MM, I doubt we'll see much on them, but I could be wrong. It would be cool to see a Doppelganger as a playable race. I'm really hoping for Nyth, though. I've taught my Players to fear them, even at epic levels they run and hide. They'll take on a rust monster before they face Nyth. I've made my own stats based off the 2e and 3e versions, but I'd like something official.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  03:05:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that they aren't putting out much.... I'm buying it and just praying they'll giving a focus to the game again.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  05:04:34  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can afford to buy 2 copies. One from Amazon which is my play copy. And the FLGS special edition which is for my collectors copy, to be kept in mint condition until it joins me in my funeral viking ship burial.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  05:44:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lo there do I see my father; Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers; Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  00:24:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we know will be in it:

Neogi, Froghemoth, Beholder variants like the Death Kiss, Vargullies, some weird dude with tentacle arms, Ki-rin, Flail Snail, Aasmir (playable), Tritons (playable), Tabaxi (playable), Firbolg (playable), Orcs (playable), Goblins (playable), Kenku (playable). Over all 12 highly detailed races and a large amount of quickly done playable races. Also so beasts, for like summoning and stuff. I'm looking forward to it. I got most, but not all via someone who watch the D&D Extralife twitch live stream, amoung other sources.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  00:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

What we know will be in it:

Neogi, Froghemoth, Beholder variants like the Death Kiss, Vargullies, some weird dude with tentacle arms, Ki-rin, Flail Snail, Aasmir (playable), Tritons (playable), Tabaxi (playable), Firbolg (playable), Orcs (playable), Goblins (playable), Kenku (playable). Over all 12 highly detailed races and a large amount of quickly done playable races. Also so beasts, for like summoning and stuff. I'm looking forward to it. I got most, but not all via someone who watch the D&D Extralife twitch live stream, amoung other sources.

Do we know if that's an exhaustive list, or just a partial listing?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  03:15:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some weird dude with tentacle arms? Is it... The Demogorgon?

Or maybe that weird kid Ricky that lived across the street from Lane Meyer. (Going obscure for that reference! )

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2016 :  21:37:50  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know a website I can order the alternate cover? There are no stores near me that orders the special cover.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2016 :  21:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

Does anyone know a website I can order the alternate cover? There are no stores near me that orders the special cover.

It might be on ebay after release. The D&D website says it's exclusive to brick and mortar, Wizards Play Network stores, so I'd guess your best bet is someone preordering a few to sell on Ebay.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

chibi_grazzt
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2016 :  01:18:33  Show Profile Send chibi_grazzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The special cover is an FLGS exclusive, contact your FLGS and ask them to order you a copy, you'll be so very glad you did...

But you could buy it on eBay, for a modest 400% markup ;-)

My Realms Drow Campaign for D&D 5e:
https://doomofthedrow.obsidianportal.com
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2016 :  13:37:41  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chibi_grazzt

The special cover is an FLGS exclusive, contact your FLGS and ask them to order you a copy, you'll be so very glad you did...

But you could buy it on eBay, for a modest 400% markup ;-)

quote:

There are no stores near me that orders the special cover.

I think I'll try my chance to order it to someone I know abroad and ship it to me...
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  15:14:18  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just pre-ordered my regular copy! After all the awesome monsters in the previews I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  20:46:53  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found some previews from the book online! Enjoy!
http://imgur.com/a/z9SuU
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  02:27:33  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What bothers me is the fact they left out gnolls as a playable race.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  02:42:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found some previews from the book online! Enjoy!
http://imgur.com/a/z9SuU

Boy, it really annoys me to see recycled Illithiad art in there.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 29 Oct 2016 02:43:27
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:10:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay update. The races in the book are Goliaths, Tritons, Tabaxi, Aasimar (with three subraces Protector, Scourage, and Fallen), Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Orcs, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Kenku, Firbolg (that look nothing like FR Firbolgs), Yuan Ti Purebloods. There is no real races table, its just that there is a special section for Gobliniod, Orc, Yuan Ti, Kobold, crunch in the race chapter, because they're fluff is dealt with in Chapter 1.

Negative racial modifiers are in for Orcs -2 intelligence and Kobolds -2 Strength.

Aasimar get as base +2 Charisma, Darkvision, Lightbringer (Light Cantrip), Healing Hands (heals level x 1 of hitpoints once per long rest, with an action and a touch), Knows Common & Celestial, and has 3 subraces, Protectors get +1 Wisdom and Once per long rest can transform, gaining glowing incorpreal wings with a flight speed of 30' and Deals level radiant to one target it damages per turn), Scorage Aasimar transform, unleashing light out of its orifices, that provide bright light 10' and dim light another 10', and damages all beings within 10' of it with half level radiant damage and can add radiant level damage to one spell or attack per turn, Fallen Aasimar, eyes go black and its sprouts flightless ghostly skeleton wings that scare people within 10' feet when it transforms, and it deals level necrotic damage once per turn one target, when damaging a target with an attack or Spell.

Lizardfolk get a bite attack that counts as both natural weapons and an unarmed attack, can gain temp HPs once per short rest by eating what it bites, can hold breath under water for 15 minutes, +1 armour, swim speed of 30', and during a short rest can make weapons and shields if raw materials are arravilable.

Tritons get immunity to deepwater conditions, cold resistance, can talk to sea creatures, and can summon once per day Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind (3rd level), and Water Wall (5th level). +1 Strength, +1 Con, +1 Charisma. So basically Aquaman.

Yuan Ti Pureblood get Suggestion 1/day, Poison Spray cantrip, always under a Animal Friendship effect (snakes only), Poison Immunity, Darkvision, Magic Resistance. +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence.

Bugbears get surpise attack 2D6, +5' reach, darkvision, powerful build (Orcs, Firbolgs, and Goliaths also get this), sneaky (stealth profiency), my favourite of the Gobliniods.

Hobgoblins get +2 Con, +1 Intel, Light Armour, two Martial Weapon profiencies of your choice, and gets saving face, can get +1 per observer toward a failed saving throw, attack, ability check, once per short rest. So great Wizard Gishes and Arcane Tricksters.

Tabaxi get to move at double speed for a turn, but can use the abiliy again, until they stand still for a turn, get walking speed of 40' feet, +2 Dex,+1 Charisma. You see why they make good monks, Barbarians, Rogues, and Rangers.

I learned this mostly from Enworld and some other places. More info there.

Edited by - Gyor on 04 Nov 2016 00:52:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:19:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? They're bringing in tabaxi..... makes me wonder if they won't visit Maztica or Katashaka (or will it just be the Chult Tabaxi, but I thought those were human.... could be wrong).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Really? They're bringing in tabaxi..... makes me wonder if they won't visit Maztica or Katashaka (or will it just be the Chult Tabaxi, but I thought those were human.... could be wrong).

I read the answer was yes. there's a human tribe called Taxabi, and there's a race.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:53:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Juagar/Leopard Tabaxi.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:54:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added some more info.
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  01:02:46  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you buy it already?

amazon says 15.11.
But on ebay I could buy the regulat edition now

That confuses me a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  01:10:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

Can you buy it already?

amazon says 15.11.
But on ebay I could buy the regulat edition now

That confuses me a bit.

As I understand it, the special, game store only version is out now, and the regular version will be in a week or two. I could be mistaken on the latter part, though. I do know the special cover is in game stores now, because I laid hands on a copy this afternoon and have been flipping thru it, this eve.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000