Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Every one of my characters...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  03:57:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So tonight, we were doing characters for a new Pathfinder campaign. I decided to do a human monk. (I wanted to play a nkosi, from the Southlands book, but the DM nixed that idea)

Then I realized that I've made four Pathfinder characters, two of which were meant to be front-line combatants -- and none of them has had anything heavier than leather armor.

On the way home, I was musing on this, and then realized that no character that I've played for more than one or two sessions has worn any kind of heavy armor. Few of them have had even medium armor...

It's not a deliberate thing. I've made more armored characters, but those campaign attempts always fizzled out after a session or two.

And my biggest, strongest front-line fighter -- my 2E minotaur -- didn't have heavy armor for a couple of reasons. When I first created him, he couldn't afford armor that was better than the AC he naturally had. By the time he could afford better armor, he was rocking the bracers of defense, and armor was thus moot.

So it's not been intentional, but my characters are always relatively unprotected by armor.

And so I put forth the question: what is it, either intentional or unintentional, that has been common for all or most of your characters?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2016 04:01:04

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:03:55  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always end up making DEX based everything - fighter, rogue, ranger, barbarian. I don't know why I do it, probably because I build what I know best. I likewise never end up in heavy armor. Mobility is a premium, and I can't stand armor check penalties. Since Clerics no longer have heavy armor, the only time I WOULD consider heavy armor is out.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently I make sexy, sultry vixens 99% of the time, when I get the rare opportunity to play as it is. I didn't really notice it - a friend of mine just pointed it out when we were doing character creation for our own Pathfinder game. "Of COURSE Arivia's making the sexy ice queen witch." I just thought of them as being like characters Ed writes!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:41:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have never made a character who wore "heavy" armor. I tend to favor quick fighters or stealthy characters. Like Wooly, I too made a minotaur who had a decent natural AC and was eventually augmented by a Ring of Protection or something similar. I miss that character, great scimitars are fun to use when you have a massive str bonus.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  17:13:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not adverse to making an armored character, and I'll likely do so the next campaign. It's just that the recent choices have been types that didn't do much armor - a gun mage, an investigator, an inspired blade swashbuckler, and now this monk.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  00:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not adverse to making an armored character, and I'll likely do so the next campaign. It's just that the recent choices have been types that didn't do much armor - a gun mage, an investigator, an inspired blade swashbuckler, and now this monk.

I pick characters with many options and mainly supportive rather than frontal attackers. I just like to think tacticaly and those are the ones that have both time and abilities to use it.
It seems you are not called master of mischieve by chance :-)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  04:07:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't have gone for a monk, this time, actually, but it seemed a better choice for the campaign. The DM wants arena combat to be a big part of it, and I just figured that one of the other guys would play the tank. The guys I came with have been playing Pathfinder much longer than I, and know how to fold, spindle, and mutilate the rules quite thoroughly. They don't do that, but they have played enough to know the rules backwards and forwards, and to have either inadvertently found loopholes and such or they've seen them exploited in tournament play and such.

So I figured one of them would be the tank. I was going to leave them to that and find something different to do...

... But I think I was mistaken, and that they've all opted for non-tank types, as well. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  04:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely play humans. I usually play either a dwarf or an elf. If I'm a dwarf, I go full tank. The dwarf I'm currently playing has been in plate mail from level 2 and is almost unhittable. It's great. If I play an elf, I'm usually a wizard or a fighter/wizard. I rarely other races or classes.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  14:49:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to prefer light/medium armor for my characters. Yet whenever I play a Dwarf, I would go Adamantine Full Plate and Tiger Tank it up.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  17:07:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my biggest thing is I always like picking my character last, as in after everyone else has had their say. This allows me to explore possibilities that I might not have tried before and it usually helps fill a role that is lacking in the group. Many times I've found myself playing the Cleric or healer, which to me is fine because I enjoy supportive characters AND I don't feel like I'm taking over the show. Either that or a Defender/Front-line sort of warrior. Something about charging into the enemy ranks fully armored in plate mail just seems heroic and fun (and is easy to optimize too!). So I tend to play Paladins, Fighters, and War-domain/combat-oriented Clerics of Tyr or Helm and the occasional frenzied berserker too.
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  10:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've yet to play anyone in heavier than medium, but I largely DM. I'm rebooting my planeswalking sun elf spellblade, but he's gonna be in mithral plate in the end, which is technically medium!

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  03:23:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A preference for lighter armours might be a symptom of the game mechanics, where a few points more on your AC are too greatly outweighed by various penalties. Remember how underwhelming that single point of AC from your shield can be (in limited circumstances, vs a limited number of attackers) in the game mechanics. While in real life the shield was arguably a more vital piece of protection than the mightiest full plate.

Chain was predominant for a long time in real life, excellent protection vs blades and good protection vs arrows, plus it's not too heavy and it's really easy (cheap) to build and maintain and adjust. Soldiers could always pull patches or rings off the bottom to replace damaged sections in more critical areas, they could even use wire or rawhide straps to tie holes closed in a pinch. Even the most hardened and boiled leather was vastly inferior in practice to a chain hauberk, plus it could still be worn beneath. The historical record shows that chain was preferred by anybody who possessed sufficient metalcraft to obtain metal and draw wire.

Plate could do what chain could not - resist cleaving and crushing attacks (often with chain beneath). The wearer could survive crossbow bolts to the head or chest, wouldn't lose limbs to solid hits from an axe or polearm, wouldn't get broken as easily by heavy bludgeons. But plate needed to be properly fitted to the wearer, it was much heavier and a bit clumsy (though not so much as you might think), expensive to build and repair and customize because it required the specialized services of a skilled armourer and his tools. The historical record clearly demonstrates that warriors wanted the heaviest plate (or even individual plate parts) they could obtain. Until firearm technologies became a serious tactical threat which emphasized mobility.

So, given a choice, and forced to hack-and-slash to the death with my opponent(s), I would personally go for a full suit of plate. Yes, it may have less virtue in a fantasy/magic battlefield, it's just going to turn into an oven after a fireball where an unencumbered target might be able to flee and cover. Then again, it also has the option of being crafted of invincible dwarven adamantium and it can be enchanted with useful dweomers to make it feel and move light as a feather while being immune to fire. There are times, often bad times, when the magic fails and flickers and all that remains is naked force covered in raw metal, lol.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Aug 2016 03:29:29
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  04:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always play rogueish characters. Even when I play casters, I don't care for fireball flinging mages, but more subtle magic, like disarming with a silent, unseen wave of the hand. Fighters are not the frontline type. They tend to weild a ranged weapon, give supporting fire, and run in once they assess the situation.
They vary in personality. Some might be a charming playboy, one might be a introverted bookwyrm, and the other might just be a straightup jerk, but they all are calculating, and subtle.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  06:17:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine ALWAYS had magic-using ability. Whether that meant ELF from old D&D or bard instead of a thief or a paladin or ranger instead of a fighter. Basically, magic is the most interesting parts of rpg in my mind - the ultimate ace up your sleeve.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  20:22:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Mine ALWAYS had magic-using ability. Whether that meant ELF from old D&D or bard instead of a thief or a paladin or ranger instead of a fighter. Basically, magic is the most interesting parts of rpg in my mind - the ultimate ace up your sleeve.

Yeah, anything I play as a character has magic, and usually its wizard mixed with something else. Wizard with some kind of fighter is the most common, but wizard with divine casting is next. Recently, I've been playing with the idea of a wizard/warlock, but the warlock being more like a 3.5 binder. That all being said, more often than not over the years, I've been the DM instead of the player. However, the trend I've stated plays into MMORPGs as well (where I play some kind of ranged caster, though usually my favorites in those have healing as well, even if its necrotic).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  20:44:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

While I enjoy spellcasters, I found that playing non-magic characters (aside from using magical items) was always fun and challenging, especially for rogues.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  16:18:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just occurred to me, a few minutes ago, that 3 of my last 4 characters have been primarily focused on one weapon, as well.

My gun mage could cast spells normally, and some spells required this. But if it was an option, he was channeling spells thru his magelock pistol. Better range, bullet damage, better chance to hit, and the spell's damage... Plus, shooting a bad guy with a vampiric touch is just too cool!

The campaign is on hold (personal issues for the DM), but I'm eager to get back to my swashbuckler. He was not a regular swashbuckler; I was doing the Inspired Blade archetype. It's a combo of swashbuckler and the old kensai class from Oriental Adventures. So he was meh on most weapons -- but he absolutely rocked with a rapier.

And now I'm playing a monk... Monks can use other weapons, but the class is structured so that unarmed attacks are the best. So my monk is all about his fists.

Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  15:08:04  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I'm realizing that my PCs are mostly humans and/or magic-users of some type, although there is definitely variety on how they use magic.

Examples:
* Human Wizard (Magic Item Creation focus)
* Half-Orc Barbarian/Sorcerer (Self-Buff and Rage)
* Human Fighter/Cleric (Party-Buff and Leadership)
* Human Artificer (Ranged Blaster & Healer, lots of Wands)
* Warforged Paladin (Robo-Cop)

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2016 :  12:46:14  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Apparently I make sexy, sultry vixens 99% of the time, when I get the rare opportunity to play as it is. I didn't really notice it - a friend of mine just pointed it out when we were doing character creation for our own Pathfinder game. "Of COURSE Arivia's making the sexy ice queen witch." I just thought of them as being like characters Ed writes!

Did any of your characters wear chainmail bikini?
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  06:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of my characters tend to be rogues. They are typically paranoid individuals (Grim Greycastle is the best example on these forums).

My characters are typically:
Cleric (Healing and Protection domains are priority for me)
Rogue (paranoid folk).
Paladin (Heavy on the mercy)
Fighter (Dwarven Tin Can)

If given the opportunity within a good group, I like to play with those. I wanted to play in a City of the Spider Queen as a Zhentarim spy WITH the party, specifically to ensure that the Zhents knew what was going on, and knowing that the party needed to survive to maintain my cover. The other was a Dwarven Cleric (Necromancer) who used the feats to stay 2 steps away and he was a "devoted" follower of Moradin... who said "the Dead Shall Rise and Defend the Dwarven Hosts!" Horrible, but true.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2018 :  01:08:24  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thayan portable Mage walls to the rescue.

A Red Wizard can do anything any other character class can do save perhaps a Cleric or Druid. Three Red Wizards and a druid or cleric will clean up just about any situation.

Sure we have Black Knights, Thieves, Assassins and Pirate Slavers amoung others but not as player characters.

Thay Red

Edited by - Thraskir Skimper on 13 Jul 2018 02:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2018 :  03:08:35  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do use Animal Companions and familiars at lower levels, summoned Shadows, Undead and Elementals. Plus Transformation spells Dancing Sword or Mordenkainen's.

Staves if we have to, Wands when we want to or Crossbows when we don't need spells.

Heavy Crossbow with Adamanite Bolts of Fire Ice Lightning etc... Poison helps too.

Even in an Anti Magic shell a Heavy Crossbow with Mind Cackle Poison is a nasty weapon.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2018 :  03:15:27  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Clerics or Druids Full Plate Tower Shield and Full Helm. Large Mace or Flail and the option to assume a Nasty Spider Form, Elemental or Dragon, or Summon such. Who needs a Fighter.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2018 :  13:17:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I've always wanted to do was do a partner tandem. So if you're going to play in the Realms one player picks say....a Red Wizard and another one plays a Thayan Knight (protector) that's "with" the other character. Same concepts for say a Hathran from Rasheman and her Berserker protector (I actually have an AWESOME character concept from 4E that works well as they're a Berserker Heroes of the Feywild that can turn into a Bear and is from the Bear Warrior tribe). Things like that which delve into the setting's history and lore just make me all giddy!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2018 :  15:30:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Something I've always wanted to do was do a partner tandem. So if you're going to play in the Realms one player picks say....a Red Wizard and another one plays a Thayan Knight (protector) that's "with" the other character. Same concepts for say a Hathran from Rasheman and her Berserker protector (I actually have an AWESOME character concept from 4E that works well as they're a Berserker Heroes of the Feywild that can turn into a Bear and is from the Bear Warrior tribe). Things like that which delve into the setting's history and lore just make me all giddy!!

One thing I've always wanted to do is play a Neutral Evil character in an otherwise good-aligned group. He'd share their goals for whatever reason, and obviously wouldn't be the Chaotic Stupid type that randomly murders people and would betray his companions in a heartbeat... He would basically just be a little more self-centered than the rest and have a lot more "moral flexibility."

And I figure that the best way to pull this off is that the NE character would partners with one of the others. Maybe it's a debt of honor, or maybe they were childhood friends, maybe something else -- but it's that bond that is the reason the NE character is hanging with good guys, and it would conversely be that bond that would make them (at least grudgingly) accept him.

Kind of a Caramon and Raistlin thing, minus Raistlin's inevitable betrayal: the rest of the Companions didn't like or trust Raistlin, but it was accept him into the group along with their buddy Caramon, or not have either of them.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jul 2018 15:31:38
Go to Top of Page

Archmage of Nowhere
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2018 :  03:09:35  Show Profile Send Archmage of Nowhere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Towards the original question posed I have never played a blue-collar character. Around my table that is a character with mostly simple goals, nothing extravagant and no need to over-think the situation they are in.
Not that they are bad, a lot of my favorite players have had characters like that. But when its time for me to put pencil to paper and make a character it just never crosses my mind.

@Wooly Rupert I just recently got the privilege to do this and was allowed by the DM to play to the strengths of the as written, demi-humans. Ended up using a goblin for it. A little get-rich-quick scheming goblin grenadier with a heavy crossbow. I highly recommend it

Edited by - Archmage of Nowhere on 16 Jul 2018 03:49:03
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2018 :  03:32:18  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I do play Red Wizard and Cleric of Beshaba combo's.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2019 :  22:36:26  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fighter I played preferred lighter armor. He even successfully appropriated drow mail...with a pilfered recipe for non-magical oil that shielded drow items from direct sunlight. Ah yes, you must love +5 gear that does not register as magical, nor penalized stealth checks.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  16:01:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The common theme it seems for my characters seems to be that they start out with, or can later have, the ability to use magical spells.

Whether it is a Ranger, a Thief or a Wizard...arcane magic seems to be something I really enjoy using.

The usual exception to this is at low level I obviously don't have arcane magic for the ranger or thief character I may be playing and so it seems like I don't have a thing for the arcane...but it is apparently always in the back of my mind.

I never got there with a Dwarf thief; but I always dreamed of having a dwarven Fighter/Thief who had the ability to use spell scrolls (in 1e/2e). 3.x made it much easier to use scrolls as a thief. I haven't played 4e more than a handful of times and 5e the same...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  00:57:35  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answering the original question, I would say: intelligence. All of my characters have always been smart, at least somewhat. An intelligence score of 10 is as low as I am willing to go. Not just because I don't really enjoy RP'ing "dumb" characters, I really like them to be well-rounded in their skills and knowledge. Even a barbarian or fighter I'll have at 10 or 12 INT at least so I can give them a few cross-class skill ranks in some random knowledge or other thing.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2019 :  05:55:01  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all editions, I never dumped Constitution, no matter the class or race. From ed 3.X onward, I always got feats Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude and Iron Will no matter the class.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000