Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Drow Classes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  15:30:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The ideas, they keep coming. I've been thinking about a small product focusing on alternate classes for drow: courtesan, gladiator, and alchemist come immediately to mind. This would be accompanied by short fiction to give an idea how the classes could be used in an adventure, along with more typical fighters, clerics, and wizards.

As it happens, I have a wonderful piece of art that I could use for this project. Years ago, I commissioned a piece by Kay Allen for the short story "Gorlist's Dragon," which is set in a drow gladiatorial arena.

Hmmm.... Wonder if WotC would give permission to reprint that particular story. It was published in DRAGON Magazine shortly before the collection Best of the Realms III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham was published, and the editor decided not to include that story because it had been published so recently. Not sure who I'd ask these days, but it's something to consider.

Justing thinking with my fingers here (aka "brainstorming.") Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  17:16:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be quite interested.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  17:35:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yummy.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  17:58:49  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why classes and not archetypes in exsisting classes?

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Why classes and not archetypes in exsisting classes?

That's a good question. Archetypes would work better for certain skill sets; a gladiator, for example, is simply a specialized type of fighter. I'm not sure what an alchemist would be. Not quite a wizard, even though there's a considerable amount of magic in potions. As for a courtesan, I suppose rogue would work, though I'm leaning more toward bard in that courtesans would be very similar to male geisha--highly educated and skilled in several types of entertainment arts.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also lean towards Bard for a courtesan.

As for the alchemist....
If I was acting as the designer, I would go with Warlock for Alchemist. When most people think of an Alchemist class, they think of the Pathfinder one. I do not believe that would be the best fit for 5e. There are a number of mechanics that could be used to simulate an Alchemist quite well, but the closest and most balanced with the existing is that of the Warlock and their pact magic system. With the Pathfinder Alchemist, and the 'conversions' (stated or not as such) that are out there, the class is presented as a grenade thrower or potion dispenser and was usually regulated through items available, gold, carrying capacity, and the like. In 5e, it has been my experience that form of balance tends to break down over the course of a campaign, as such, my thoughts are the class should center around a Spell-like Ability rather then items themselves. Less bookkeeping, easier to balance, and far more streamlined to play.

At third level, you pick up the archetype which grants the spell-like ability to use whatever concoctions you have. Using the ability does cost a spell slots, and is generally treated as casting a spell for the purposes of combat (the vial the mixture is in acts as the arcane focus, mechanically speaking). You can replace one of the spells you know with a mixture of some kind (effects varying from healing to magical blast damage to intoxication/debuff to being a stimulant). The more potent the spellslot, the more potent the effect of the concoction. This basic idea offers a very flexible archetype that is relying on existing mechanics, streamlines the bookkeeping behind such a class, and I imagine would be fairly easy to balance. You can even introduce new invocations that can increase the effect - from range, or allows 2 additional uses of the spell-like ability (not extra spell slots, just free uses of the ability), or much more. You can even have some fun with the patrons for more specialized brews (mad scientist trope anyone?).

The only place it fails is the fact that not every alchemist would have a supernatural patron to strike deals with in order to brew - so perhaps an option for a Noble House could act as 'patron' that could be added for a less supernatural backer.

Just my 2 cents.

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  01:21:00  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knowledge of editions really ended with 2nd in terms of mechanics; but anything you do has me interested, Elaine! (Also Drow Courtesan sounds so intriguing to role play)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  03:59:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder alchemists are also rather capable of buffing themselves up with their potions.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  04:30:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've long held a fascination with developing lore on Realms' alchemists.

Tell me more!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  08:12:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, initially, I thought the idea of alchemist combined with warlock would be interesting as I read it.... its the patron that becomes the issue. Perhaps though they get a lesser sort of spellcasting, such that a variation on the rogue (arcane trickster) path would work. Maybe all their spellcasting is potions, bombs, etc... and they also learn some skill in physical combat. Their sneak attack damage might all have to do with poisons and not hitting someone where it hurts. Just a thought..

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  00:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, initially, I thought the idea of alchemist combined with warlock would be interesting as I read it.... its the patron that becomes the issue. Perhaps though they get a lesser sort of spellcasting, such that a variation on the rogue (arcane trickster) path would work. Maybe all their spellcasting is potions, bombs, etc... and they also learn some skill in physical combat. Their sneak attack damage might all have to do with poisons and not hitting someone where it hurts. Just a thought..

I have not played 5ed much but I really like the warlock alchemist idea. Could the patron be a god like Gond? Mundane patrons are also good idea but they will probably give you another kind of bonuses than spells.

For me idea of alchemist is about magic used indirectly through potions, "granades" and such. Mage cannot cast spell on whole party but they can all use a potion at the same time also sometimes it is more beneficial if somebody else have that potion to use on you...
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  09:12:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO the best mechanics for alchemists would be something like what was used for various Al-Qadim artificier "wizards" (in AD&D2-based mechanics) or Eberron artificiers (in d20-based).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

KismetRose
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  16:17:17  Show Profile  Visit KismetRose's Homepage Send KismetRose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I based the hetaera class for Pathfinder loosely on the courtesan traditions of ancient Greece because I'd never seen anything so specific done like that before. I would love to see another gameified take on the concept, whether it's done up as a class or some other mechanic.

It would be great to see it done with drow in mind from the start, perhaps based on their unique tradition of courtesanship. I've woven courtesan drow into my games for a long time but have yet to see the combination elsewhere very much (though this piece of art stood out when I found it). Some of the tribes of drow I created for another setting have plenty of courtesans, and since I can easily envision scattered across Faerun, I'm sure the blend will stand out.

One thing I'm wondering is how such a tradition will square with the outlook of Lolth, Eilistraee, and Vhaeraun (if you're planning on writing it for Faerun's drow in 5e in particular). In short, I'm eager to see this happen!

Kismet's Dungeons & Dragons * World of Darkness * Gamer Gathering
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  21:10:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with a Rogue for Alchemists, use the Arcane Trickers as a template, except granting potions instead of skills and grant Alchemist kits profiency with automatic expertise, instead of stealing a spell, allow the Alchemist to distill a dead spell caster into a potion.

Gladitor is obviously a fighter, I'd go with Champion, and focus on Gladitor weapons, while taking the feat to grant a couple of manvuevers that focus on messing with the target.

Coustesan I'd break into subgroups, most elite Courtesans would be bards, but more religious minded ones could be Paladins, perhaps an Oath of Passion, that combines religious service with a duty to spread sexual healing to those in need "Sacred Whore" archetype, with an emphasis on lust, but also faith, universal love, and self sacrifice. Part of the Oath might be that their married to either God/dess, and so they can't enter into monogomous relationships, heck I might do this one.

And Coin Companions (Gender Nuetral Coin Lass/Lad), a Rogue subclass for none magic users who focus on skill, dexertity, and hard work, more likely from more working class backgrounds, unlike the Courtesan.

Edited by - Gyor on 19 Aug 2016 21:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  21:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is Drow architypes though.... I mean, while I love the notion of a sacred whore archetype (Oh blessed Elua, we're in dire need of a servant of Naamah this night!) and their uncanny ability to bring down scheming matriarchs....actually, that's exactly what the Drow need.

I think I'm starting to see where Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are going with their alliance......

:P

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  22:18:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that much of Drow society is female dominated, it might make sense for most Courtesans to actually be male, Males using seduction as a tool for influencing the Matron Mothers, although in Drow communities not dominated by Lloth it would more likely to be equal.

Actual while thinking about it, the Noble Houses Male Weapon Master, would likely be a Male Fighter, but also something of a Courtesan.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  22:42:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still full classes for Courtesan, Gladitor, and Alchemists could awesome too, if they come with their own subclasses too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000