Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep in 1491 DR *Spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  20:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some small updates from Halls of Undermountain, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, DeathMasks and Elminster's Forgotten Realms as well as the promised bold prints inthe later Posts for easier reading :)
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  21:54:08  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love your work, this is a fantastic resource to have, so cheers for sharing your efforts!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Nareshkendel
Acolyte

Venezuela
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2016 :  13:58:46  Show Profile Send Nareshkendel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. One question, how big are the Walking Statues? Because searching online I found some references of them being 40ft tall. They built 5 big houses out of one of them?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2016 :  16:05:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nareshkendel

Hi. One question, how big are the Walking Statues? Because searching online I found some references of them being 40ft tall. They built 5 big houses out of one of them?

90 feet tall, according to Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2016 :  17:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Nareshkendel

90 feet tall, according to Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

Huh. City of Splendors: Waterdeep says 40 feet. Do we know why Eric changed it for 3e?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2016 :  17:19:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At a guess because 90ft is beyond the colossal size category of 3.5e.

Completely guessing though. Im not checking the rules or anything

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2016 :  04:34:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check the manuscript and see if Eric left a note. Not like him to make that change without a good reason.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2016 :  08:31:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer is simple: the WotC staff did it and got it wrong. Eric never turned in a walking statue monster in his draft. Mind you they make allowance for a colossal walking statue which could be 90 feet tall.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 10 Nov 2016 08:35:33
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  11:57:25  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there

I found this thread and I found it incredibly useful for my actual pet project of updating the Deep to 5e.

I have also added info from Storm Kings Thunder and the various articles, Dungeon and Dragon Magazines and other sources of info.

Does anyone know if there are out there any other reliable sources about waterdeep that don't fall under a NDA??

For the moment I'm updating the guilds and noble families so their descriptions reflect Waterdeep at the Beginning of 1491 DR
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  13:37:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be easier if you tell us what Waterdhavian resources you have access to - there are a bunch out there.

Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2017 :  13:47:34  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It may be easier if you tell us what Waterdhavian resources you have access to - there are a bunch out there.

I have City of Splendors, Waterdeep and the North, City System, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

Plus this thread and Death Masks, Blackstaff tower and Circle of Skulls.

And of course all online articles at wizards page
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  09:53:59  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm updating and unifying all information I can find about the Waterdeep noble families in 5e, adding whatever canon info I can find about them and also adding the families crests in the upper part of each family entry. I'm also adding all NPCs names in 1491 DR I have been able to find, using this thread, other online articles and other sources such as SCAG, SKT and a couple of the AL Adventures

Would anyone be interested in a text like that??

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  09:57:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mankyle

quote:

I have City of Splendors, Waterdeep and the North, City System, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

Is that the City of Splendors boxed set from 2E, or the 3E hardback City of Splendors: Waterdeep?

Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  10:04:38  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2nd edition one, the boxed set.

From that I have extracted the Noble families crests and coloured them.

I have even reenacted the traitor families crests, the ones from the Gildegh and Zoar families. I also have a preliminary version of the Neverember family crest.

It is a Shame that we don't have info about the new noble families such as the Ralnarths, Hedares, etc....
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  18:23:15  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found one discrepancy between SCAG and SKT.

In their descriptions of Amphail,there is a difference.

SCAG: Says Daunier Ilzimmer, Lord Protector of Amphail, will end up his period of government next year and the government will pass to the Amcathras.
SKT: Lord Tyrandar Roaringhorn is trying to gain support as the neew Lord Protector of Amphail before Lord Ilzimmer's government ends...

There is another mistake in lore in the Heroes Articles in the Wizards Homepage.
http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/what-dd/heroes/alaeros
It says here the Margaster Family Coat of arms is an Stilized Green Dragon. Thats a mistake. It could either the Ilvastarr or the Hothemer coats of armas, but no the Margaster. The Margaster Coat of Armas is an eagle claw on yellow field.

Anyway, in SKT there are a lot of references to Waterhadvian nobles

Chapter 1
- Lady Velrosa Nandar, Regent of Nightstone

Chapter 2
- Lord Zelraun Roaringhorn, Patriarch of the Roaringhorns, Archmage and agent of the Harpers
- Othovir, Artisan in Triboar and member of House Margaster. He despises his family and wants nothing with them

Chapter 3
- Tylandar Roaringhorn, next ruler of Amphail (brother of Zelraun???)
- Tamalin Zoar, of the Zoar traitor Family, Lord Regent of Calling Horns village
- Horix Zoar, (brother of Tamalin?), Commander of the armies of Everlund.

Chapter 11
Arilosa Adarbrent, noble of the Adarbrent family that lets the player use her ship, the Coin Toss, and is a supporter of the Order of the Gauntlet

Could you add these names to the first post???

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  23:33:33  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SCAG: Says Daunier Ilzimmer, Lord Protector of Amphail, will end up his period of government next year and the government will pass to the Amcathras.
SKT: Lord Tyrandar Roaringhorn is trying to gain support as the neew Lord Protector of Amphail before Lord Ilzimmer's government ends...

There is another mistake in lore in the Heroes Articles in the Wizards Homepage.
It says here the Margaster Family Coat of arms is an Stilized Green Dragon. Thats a mistake. It could either the Ilvastarr or the Hothemer coats of armas, but no the Margaster. The Margaster Coat of Armas is an eagle claw on yellow field.

As to the first, perhaps the Amcathras and the Roaringhorns traded ruling periods for a rotation because the Amcathras couldn't find a successor (as mentioned in SCAG)? Needs a little massaging, sure, but as these books are set in different time periods it's not impossible to imagine that something changed. Good pick up though!

As to the second, we actually don't know what the heraldry of the Noble Houses is post-Spellplague. A lot of houses were absorbed, reorganized, died out then remade, etc. It's perfectly feasible that the heraldry changed over that period.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  05:47:20  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found another inconsistency in 5e lore.

In PotA in the Westbridge entry they talk about the villa that the Silmerhelve noble family has there and that a Copper dragon called Umsheryoth protects her and the Silmerhelves.

In 2e and 3e sources that dragon is called Nymmurh.

Has anyone found other inconsistencies???
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  08:34:51  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This isn't an inconsistency. Nymmurh is still a friend to the Silmerhelves, and makes an appearance in Rise of Tiamat. It just so happens the Silmerhelves have more than one copper dragon as allies - the two coppers may even been related.

Go to Top of Page

zanetheinsane
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2017 :  21:58:00  Show Profile Send zanetheinsane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having never delved into the Forgotten Realms, my group's settled on fifth edition and Faerun for our next adventure. This is a fantastic resource on getting me up to speed on Waterdeep, where I'm planning to run our new campaign. Many thanks to Lirdolin and everyone else who put the time and effort into this.

I wanted to be able to print this off to keep a physical reference in a binder, so I formatted all of the information in the posts: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FXgWMZ__cRkjEjACopsBa7_K2irQv_LzwuFqySz1OG4/edit?usp=sharing

I've cleaned up the formatting for printing and standardized the formatting for book references and bolded all of them so they stand out from the text. I made a few minor aesthetic changes (without changing any of the actual information).

I may not be able to keep up-to-date with any new changes, so if Lirdolin (or anybody) wants to make a copy of the doc and use it, go nuts.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2017 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2017 :  16:08:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to the first - I actually do not see any discrepancy. In fact, the way its worded just makes it more interesting. Amcathras is the selected next Lord Protector, buuuuuuut... Tyrandar Roaringhorn really wants the position, and is 'campaigning' to be chosen over the currently accepted replacement. Perhaps there is some sort of 'vetting' process in the interim, or Tyrandar is trying to make that happen, so he can 'interrupt' whats already in-place (by becoming 'the popular choice').

As to the second, I disagree that they would have changed their coat of Arms. If you've studied heradlry at all, you'd know thats something no-one would ever do (unless they were a 'mad wits'). You don't throw-away centuries of established nobility on a whim. Even 'disgraced' noble houses retain their coat-of-arms. Thus, I would say thats an error in the source.

As for the statues thing, I recall this coming up before, and the 40' statues were decided upon mostly because it seemed a 90' could not walk down a street without causing more damage than the thing was worth (a 40', supposedly, could walk down a Waterdahvian street... barely). Also, from Eric (or someone else 'in the know') - some of the originals may have been destroyed, and were replaced with 'newer models' that were smaller, so both can exist (and The Lords would prefer the newer, more compact models for reasons given above - the others would probably only be activated in the most dire of circumstances, hence their lack-of-mention in the newest sources).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2017 16:10:08
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  08:17:44  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found this thread incredibly useful and I have compiled all the information included here in one document.

Unfortunately it is in Spanish, but.... would anyone be interested in having itnin english???

It that's the case I could translate it back tonenglish in a couple of weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2019 :  09:25:34  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would anyone update this info with all the information container in Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage??

If not I think I could add that info during this week...

Edited by - Mankyle on 09 Apr 2019 09:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Palant
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2019 :  08:15:29  Show Profile Send Palant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would anyone update this info with all the information container in Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage??

If not I think I could add that info during this week...

You can use my Waterdeep in Tables on dmsguild, but it hasn't info f om domm and most of Ddal modules (will update it in month)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  22:27:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Mankyle,

That would be awesome to have it in English. You still offering?

Best regards,

quote:

I have found this thread incredibly useful and I have compiled all the information included here in one document.

Unfortunately it is in Spanish, but.... would anyone be interested in having itnin english???

It that's the case I could translate it back tonenglish in a couple of weeks.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  22:30:00  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Lirdolin,

Fantastic compilation of that material! Did you ever get it into one document and submit it to the 'Keep here? I think you should if you have not and have it be a living document!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

Waterdeep 1491 DR

Hello all, this is an updated version of my notes concerning the City of Splendors

Key:
BT (Blackstaff Tower & Candelkeep-Forum replies by Steven E. Schend)
MS (Mistshore)
DS (Downshadow)
CotD (City of the Dead)
TGC (The God Catcher)
CoS (Circle of Skulls)
S:TA The Adversary (HC)
E:DM (Death Masks)

EFR (Elminster's Forgotten Realms) (*Note: The sourcebook draws on material from different times, so I included only those infos that stated a current or no date)
HoU (Halls of Undermountain) (*Note: I left out the adventures adversaries, considering them to be dead, and adventurers, as they might no longer live in Waterdeep, but kept neutral NPC's who could have allied or could have been rescued by the heroes)
SCAG (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide)
FRCG (Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide 4ed)
Dra2 (Draconomicon2)
CoSp/WiW (City of Splendors Boxed Set Who is Who)
CW (City of Splendors: Waterdeep)
Du (Dungeon Magazine)
Dr (Dragon Magazine)

ED (Ed Greenwood via the Hooded One on Candlekeep Forums)
SAY (Spin a Yarn 2008)
BRJ (Brian R. James unofficial timeline)

IDWFR1 (Forgotten Realms Comic #1 from IDW) (*Note: it's unclear in which time the comic takes place)
WATE (LFR-Adv.) (*Note: These adventures are not seen as canon by many)

** (Speculation)

Recent History of Waterdeep
1374 DR Tsarra ‘Autumfire’ Chaadren takes up the mantel of the Blackstaff, but hides under illusions of Khelben Arunsun.
???? DR The first outbreak of the Spellplague is held at bay by Tsarra ‘Blackstaff’ Chaadren.
???? DR The second outbreak of the Spellplage in Waterdeep resurges from Undermountain and forces Tsarra to drop her disguise as Khelben Blackstaff.
The Retributive Years (xxxx/xxxx DR): The revelation of Khelben’s death draws his enemies to Waterdeep, but all are soundly defeated by Tsarra.
???? DR the towering Plinth in Trades Ward is destroyed during the chaos of the Spellplague.(FRCG pg.196)
1388DR House Gundwynd is destroyed when most it’s members where transformed into giants and trolls by the Spellplague. The few survivors merged with the Brokengulfs into House Gundgulf.
1395 DR Plaguebringer's Blight - Sickness and pestilence spreads throughout the North, unleashed by the Putrescent Anathema. (BRJ)
The Putrescent Anathema was unleashed from Stump Bog to the northeast of Waterdeep to spread sickness and pestilence throughout the region, hitting the temple-farm of Goldenfields particularly hard. (FRCG 194)
1399 DR Tsarra Blackstaff Chaadren, her heir and many of the Tel’Teukiira die fighting a coven of vampire-wizards of the Stump Bog. Kyriani Agrivar risks her sanity by bearing the Staff and the powers of the Blackstaff back to Waterdeep.
1399 DR Kyriani Agrivar becomes Blackstaff. To acknowledge her legitimacy as the city’s archmage, she proclaims it from atop Blackstaff Tower, with Open Lord Caladorn at her side. This form of proclamation of the inheritance to the titel of Blackstaff becomes tradition.
1400 DR Krehlan Arunsun becomes Blackstaff
The Tarnsmoke Declaration (concerning the status of bounty hunters in Waterdeep) (EFR pg. 106)
1424 DR Chartham Dellenvol kills Krehlan ‘Blackstaff’Arunsun
(Ches) Ashemmon of Rymanthiin becomes Blackstaff
1425DR The tavern ‘Sea Knight’ collapses due to Spellplague or mage-duel
???? DR (Probably within the last 30 years from 1479DR backwards). The featherlung epidemic kills many of Waterdeep's citizens. TGC
1452 DR first Noble Houses sell their titels. (EFR pg.53)
1464 DR Samark Dhanzscul becomes Blackstaff
1478 DR The Black Robes, a quorum of city judges in Waterdeep, welcomes the tiefling Kylynne Silmerhelve into their ranks. (BRJ)
1479 DR Samark ‘Blackstaff’ Dhanzscul is murdered by Khondar ‘Ten Rings’ Naomal, the Guildmaster of the Watchful Order. Naomal's plot to turn Waterdeep into a magocracy under his rule fails and the traitorous Guildmaster is slain. Samark's heir Vajra Safahr becomes Blackstaff. BT
1480 DR
Noble titles are publicly offered for sale. (EFR pg.53)
Nightal: The Vigilant Order, a cult dedicated to Asmodeus is destroyed and a dark ritual involving several ritual murders is prevented from succeeding. Master Talus, an archmage from the House of Wonders is killed during the ritual and Sathariel, an angel of Asmodeus is slain by the deva Jinnaoth. (CoS)
1485 DR Dragon attacks turned the Field Ward to ashes (E:DM pg.34)
** the year of the Tyranny of Dragons/ Rise of Tiamat adv.arc is difficult to place, but according to information gathered from the Salvatore novels, I placed them here.
1489 DR Laeral Silverhand replaces Dagult Neverember as Open Lord of Waterdeep. (TRoT Adv. pg 14). Dagult, after losing Waterdeep, consolidates his power by concentrating his efforts as Lord-Protector of Neverwinter (TRoT Adv.pg. 15). Many nobles and guildmasters of the city are vying for the attention of or conspire against the new Open Lord Laeral Silverhand, while trying to use the transition to get rid of rivals This political chaos, that many of the city's residents consider 'business as usual', will still not be resolved in 1491 DR (PotA Adv. pg. 38) ** The year is guessed
1490 DR Laeral Silverhand gatheres enough support to restore noble titles and property to noble families who lost them through misfortune or folly and takes them from those who bought them, like the Wild Lords (Du 190) and foreign agents. (SCAG pg. 57)
1491 DR
The Melairshield (CW pg.20) seems to be damaged, as houses collapse into Downshadow (E:DM pg.72)
Mistshore burns down and the harbor is returned to it's original function (E:DM pg.)
Cloud Giants lead by a giant named Burrult visit Waterdeep in their cloud castle in search of Princess Irie, daughter of storm giant king Skyvald (E:DM pg.59) ** probably foreshadowing the events of 'The Storm King's Thunder'-Adventure
Masked Lord Braethan Cazondur's tries to become ruler of Waterdeep. His bid for power claims the lives of several of his fellow Masked Lords as well as those of about a dozen guildmasters. During his fight with Open Lord Laeral Silverhand, Cazondur is slain by his own allies, after those received orders from their master, the Xanathar to stop the Masked Lord, whose ambitions didn't sit well with the crimelord's goals. (E:DM)
Open Lord Silverhand opens the assemblies of the Lords of Waterdeep to all guildmasters and nobles who want to attend to watch and listen.(E:DM pg.381)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000