Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Movie - D&D - Book of Vile Darkness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  16:32:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so I was surprised to find out that in 2012 there was actually another D&D movie released. I saw it coming on SyFy, so I recorded it. I actually didn't want to vomit in watching it. They did go just a little overboard with the tattoos, but it was interesting to see villains portrayed as a party. Sure, it didn't have the budget of say the upcoming Warcraft movie, but it was entertaining for 2 hours. Anyone else see it.

Mod Edit: Cast banish typo on the subject line, for clarity.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jun 2016 17:56:42

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  17:11:27  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're a brave soul.

I got burnt from the former movies so I passed on this one. Surprised to hear it wasn't terrible.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  17:11:32  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot an i in your subject heading. ;P Just saying something because it confused me fo ra second. XD
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  17:57:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

You forgot an i in your subject heading. ;P Just saying something because it confused me fo ra second. XD

'Tis corrected.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  23:55:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw it, good movie, better than the other ones.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  04:57:22  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the first D&D movie in the theater (it hurt me to dredge up that memory) and just a few weeks ago rented Wrath of the Dragon God from Netflix. Book of Vile Darkness is not available on NF, so it's the one that has eluded me thus far. Thanks for the heads-up on Syfy, maybe they will run it again soon, so it's something I'll be on the lookout for.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  05:05:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The budget had progressively gotten smaller and yet, the movies progressively better. The last installment, Book of Vile Darkness, was a very interesting look at what a group of evil characters can do and still be entertaining. I particularly liked the fallen paladin character. I didn't like the direct reference to different tiers of armor (paragon armor, harumpf) bit otherwise a good movie based on what appeared to be 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  13:23:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

The budget had progressively gotten smaller and yet, the movies progressively better. The last installment, Book of Vile Darkness, was a very interesting look at what a group of evil characters can do and still be entertaining. I particularly liked the fallen paladin character. I didn't like the direct reference to different tiers of armor (paragon armor, harumpf) bit otherwise a good movie based on what appeared to be 4th edition.

Yes, I found that particularly jarring as well (paragon or heroic? Paragon of course).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  04:09:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, pretty dumb considering those terms are gamist terms (like spell levels or feats).
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  11:03:17  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely the best D&D movie of the 3. It still wasn't *good* but it was actually watchable.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  17:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Definitely the best D&D movie of the 3. It still wasn't *good* but it was actually watchable.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. Not terrible, but I didn't want to dig my eye out while watching it.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  15:15:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bonus points for being the only D&D movie to have Goliths, Shadar-Kai and nudity.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  02:13:34  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Bonus points for being the only D&D movie to have Goliths, Shadar-Kai and nudity.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  18:09:00  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, well that proves that one can't argue about taste.

For me it was the worst of the three and one of the very few movies i had two watch in two steps. At some point i just couldn't stand this movie anymore and had to turn it off mid-movie. Took some time until i could muster the strength to bear the rest.

The 2nd one is the best of the bunch IMHO, the 3rd ond definately the worst
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  00:47:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never saw the second one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  14:28:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can honestly say I don't recall the second one, as I think I watched it in the early morning. I do recall them making an effort to define the difference between arcane and divine power sources. I think I did buy the DVD though because I saw it for like $1. I may watch that later today.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  17:26:09  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So with WoW being the largest money making game movie, does anyone think that this gives more incentive for a D&D movie? I know most of Warcraft's profits came from China and not the US, but that seemed more because the basic plot of the movie wasn't that good. If the Forgotten Realms has a good plot, I can see it having a bigger impact in the USA. Anyone heard any recent news?
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2016 :  17:50:37  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got them all on YouTube. I'm pretty sure they're all still there.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2016 :  21:29:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

So with WoW being the largest money making game movie, does anyone think that this gives more incentive for a D&D movie? I know most of Warcraft's profits came from China and not the US, but that seemed more because the basic plot of the movie wasn't that good. If the Forgotten Realms has a good plot, I can see it having a bigger impact in the USA. Anyone heard any recent news?

Given that I was never a big WoW player (I got pulled into Everquest2 that released the same week, and when I went to try WoW I just wasn't as impressed), I still must say that I enjoyed the Warcraft movie.... especially that it was based on the original game from back in 1994'ish timeframe. The plot wasn't extremely complex, but it was complex enough that the lay person could keep up. Here's to hoping we see a Warcraft II movie.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  23:36:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D The Hands of Chaos

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  23:53:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

D&D The Hands of Chaos

Raven Hightower? Ugh. The surname isn't too bad, but the first name is over-played, and the overall combination is not good. And it's not even that original, either.

Wasn't Hightower the name of Bubba Smith's character in the Police Academy movies?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jun 2016 04:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  00:06:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what makes money as a movie, sometimes it is clear people who make the movies do not know either. The John Carter movie appears to have failed, at least not a block buster.

As for the planned movie, in the link provided not enough information was there for me to even guess what it will be about. I do not care about the actors or the character names.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  03:16:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, the actors are of little consequence. (Even though Alan Rickman's sneering arrogance and Shawn Wallace's stridently nasal enthusiasm would be welcome additions to any D&D cast!)

But the character names do indeed matter. Raven Hightower sounds only marginally less cheesy to me than Sir Loyne of Beefe. Raven is indeed overused, it's a cheap way to add audience expectation to an uninspired character. Names like Gilligan and Hulk accomplish much the same thing, characters bearing such monikers just try to cash in by ripping off something better. Ravar Boarstower would be more original and more believable.

This D&D movie wasn't good enough to watch over and wasn't bad enough to abandon and wasn't awful enough to be entertaining. To be fair, I had just finished watching Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans and Deathstalker III: The Warriors From Hell - a pair of antiquated low-budget B-movies which are so extremely awful that they wrap right back around to being truly awesome entertainment.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  03:22:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wasn't Hightower the name of Bubba Smith's character in the Police Academy movies?

Thanks Wooly, now I have the music form the Blue Oyster Bar in my head!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  03:23:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They should let Ed Greenwood go to town with one of his naming conventions...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  17:42:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hand of Chaos.... wonder if it will be a Lolth/dark elf movie? If it is, the lead likely won't be playing a drow.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  20:47:20  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

This D&D movie wasn't good enough to watch over and wasn't bad enough to abandon and wasn't awful enough to be entertaining. To be fair, I had just finished watching Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans and Deathstalker III: The Warriors From Hell - a pair of antiquated low-budget B-movies which are so extremely awful that they wrap right back around to being truly awesome entertainment.

The running theme of those Deathstalker movies seems to be if you kill someone hard enough...all that remains of them is a puddle of blood, a dagger, and a boot (seriously...each one of them has at least one death that leaves those exact three things behind).

My D&D group watched them just for a break from the game...and when we noticed this, we couldn't stop laughing (though it quickly became an over-used joke at the table...only then did the laughing stop).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000