Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's Guide to Monsters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  04:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I'm loving the Hobby Store exclusive cover they are doing. I already called my FLGS to preorder that sucker.

I saw that on ENWORLD. Nice...

Very. I have a new phone background now.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  07:33:44  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm loving the Hobby Store exclusive cover they are doing. I already called my FLGS to preorder that sucker.

Agreed. Any gesture like this to help bolster the FLGS is always a good move. I'll be buying both copies. The FLGS special edition will be my "archival" collectors copy. And the cheaper one (probably ordering from Amazon) will be my player group use copy.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  10:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

It will have over 100 new monsters. It will also include monster mythology.

quote:
After SKT, in the fall, will be releasing Volo's Guide to Monsters. Volo Geddarm is an expert in realms lore, and share it with everyone. Elminster edited the document before it went to press. They don't like each other. Tons of lore and classic monsters, like Mind Flayers and Yuan Ti. Bringing more life to them - story details on their background, lore, and mythology. Will add over 100 new monsters for 5th edition. Also giving you options to play monstrous character races like tritons and firbolgs. Will be printing a limited run of books with alternate cover by "hydro74" (shows picture of B&W mind flayer art on screen). Alternate cover only available in game stores, but the text is the same.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?487292-Transcript-of-Chris-Perkins-and-Mike-Mearls-talking-about-Storm-King-s-Thunder#ixzz4ASwgJKGc

Geez, have they fired the proofreader as well?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  10:59:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was just someone at ENWorld doing the transcript (the link below the quote), not the official WotC transcript (which doesn't exist, as far as I know).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  20:00:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they FINALLY break away from republishing all the same monsters over again. On average the monsters in these books have been done at least 5 to 7 times before (not including the ones that had original entries in magazines).

I understand that some are common, but enough already - move on to something else :)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  20:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I hope they FINALLY break away from republishing all the same monsters over again. On average the monsters in these books have been done at least 5 to 7 times before (not including the ones that had original entries in magazines).

I understand that some are common, but enough already - move on to something else :)

I like the idea of new monsters, but honestly something "new" is kinda mind-boggling. Out of all the monsters made for 2e, 3e, etc, it seems to me that there isn't a lot of room for "new" that isn't going to look like respun "old." But the idea is tantalizing.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  22:46:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess this is what Ed hinted that he was working on a while back...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  23:07:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I guess this is what Ed hinted that he was working on a while back...

I don't think so. Ed has talked about regional Volo guides, stories involving Mirt, and FR adventures, to be published by his group through the DMGuild.

The first book could perhaps come out in November (from what I've seen on twitter).

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  02:26:41  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

All monster ideas have already been done to death. There really is nothing left to create. I guess they can create some silly-stupid surreal monster with weird unpredictable features and an equally bizarre alien name and disposition. Oh wait…. the Jabberwocky has already been done since 1st edition AD&D.

Try coming up with a "new" monster idea yourself, and I can tell you that you are simply copying something that was already done by 35+ years of D&D, Pathfinder, Tunnels & Trolls, GammaWorld, Traveller, or Call of Cthulhu, etc. All you are doing is simply giving it a new name.

And if you truly do come up with something completely new and bizarrely interesting …. I'll bet good money that you just created a monster that belongs more in weird Pulp-Science Fiction rather than traditional (D&D) high fantasy.

Look at the existing Science Fiction games, they have Monster Creation tables that allow you to come up with a 5-eyed, 16-tentacles, fire-breathing, half-bat, half-ogre, half-gnome, and 100% Drow monster. It can fly, it can breath underwater, and it can speak fluent Klingonese. It also has 3 types of special attacks. It also has the psionic abilities of the most elite Zhodani Psionic Special Forces Commando.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2016 :  20:00:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

What was everyone's beef with SCAG? I thought it was a decent book.

My beef is that it was *way* too short. A lot of the changes (most of the stuff that returned) were also barely explained--or explored--(likely as a result of its limited size), so it felt like some kind of weird in-universe retcon, if that makes any sense.

This sums it up well.

In my annoyance at no FRCG, I'm been ignoring D&D in favour of the CoD (Chonicles of Darkness, which is basically New World of Darkness 2e, looking forward to Changeling 2e).

But Volo's Guide to Monsters has me really intrigued. I'd love more details like a list of monsters in it, especially the playable ones and ones that can be summoned by PC spells, but I doubt that will happen.

One thing I like about CoD is the greater transparency/communication.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  23:01:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's new article, related to the book: http://tinyurl.com/jkkzjf4

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  16:12:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear there are going to be some cultures section like Gith, Goblins, ect...
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  16:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

That I'm really looking forward to. I'm developing a love for Gith, and anything on them is welcome.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  04:31:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Either or both will be welcome. And I hope the Gith section includes diverse information of the various incarnations of the basic Gith species.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

WarBaby2
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  16:05:39  Show Profile Send WarBaby2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Either or both will be welcome. And I hope the Gith section includes diverse information of the various incarnations of the basic Gith species.

Would be nice to finally see some more info about the followers of Zerthimon... I've been using house rules created from Planescape Torment and NWN2 for Zerth characters for a decade now.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  15:03:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting choices, both.

The old planewalker site compiled most of the official information from those games on the gith races too, as I recall.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  23:30:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its been confirmed by Mike Mearls that Aasimar in the Volo's Guide to Monsters.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  23:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Huh. Are they different from the DMG ones, or are they just providing variants like they did for the Tiefling in SCAG?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  01:36:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little hooded bird flits past, just long enough to murmur:
The cultures sections REALLY pleased Ed!
;)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  02:16:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really good to hear. I'm looking forward to this book.

Edited by - Irennan on 05 Aug 2016 02:16:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  14:50:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

;)
love,
THO

Oooo! Can you possibly share any potential hints about what cultures particularly tickled Ed's fancy?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  15:38:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Huh. Are they different from the DMG ones, or are they just providing variants like they did for the Tiefling in SCAG?

I doubt it will be like in the SCAG, there might be the basic stats, plus variants, but we won't knkw for certain until its spoiled or released.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  15:40:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

;)
love,
THO

I wonder if planetouched or Mulhorand will be one of those cultures?
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  14:03:47  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does this book costs so much while other 5E books with more pages cost less?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  17:38:46  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first ones are to get you hooked. Honest Wizards needs to come out with cheaper PDF verisons.
Go to Top of Page

Khelben
Acolyte

Denmark
25 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  06:58:16  Show Profile Send Khelben a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The first ones are to get you hooked. Honest Wizards needs to come out with cheaper PDF verisons.

The releases are longer in between and I'll always prefer paper over pdf - but that's just me
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  12:33:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get the book for 34 dollar from Amazon and Chapter.ca I believe.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  14:47:23  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can get the book for 34 dollar from Amazon and Chapter.ca I believe.

it's 49 normally but 42 on discount price on Amazon now.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Rampant
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  21:06:34  Show Profile Send Charles Rampant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

Why does this book costs so much while other 5E books with more pages cost less?

To maintain profit margin, probably. The book will be priced and shaped according to how many copies they expect to sell; at the same price point as the MM, but fewer buyers, they'll need the book to be smaller (i.e. cheaper) to make the same return.

Pretty much the same reason why 'boutique' items cost more than 'budget' ones, even if they have the same basic materials and similar profit margins for the overall line: number of buyers.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  03:21:54  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things:

#1. Here is one of the better "previews" of Volo's Guide I could find so far.
http://www.tribality.com/2016/10/24/dd-volos-guide-to-monsters-previews/

#2. Pit Master. What on earth is it?? An aberration to be sure, but is Pit Master a member of another Monster Manual race? Where else can he be found besides an old-fashioned Texas BBQ?

Edited by - moonbeast on 02 Nov 2016 03:22:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000