Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Bunko the Founder
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2016 :  19:02:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Thought I'd widen my net a bit.

FR7 states that Mithral Hall was founded by Bunko Battlehammer. George Krashos has backed this up with some of the realmslore he's published in the past.

However, loremasters like BEAST (who I tend to turn to in my queries regarding Salvatore-related lore) say that it's an error.

Now, I'm aware that Gandalug Battlehammer is listed in many sources as the first King of Mithral Hall, but is there any source that specifically says that it was he, and not Bunko, who founded the place?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2016 :  19:45:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the hall may have been founded before a king was crowned but I'm sure George will have a look and be along to dispel any myths and discrepancies

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:53:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, it would make even more sense if someone else 'founded' a place, as part of expansionist efforts from elsewhere (another dwarven hold, in this instance), and then at a later date, WELL AFTER the initial founding, and the place had become a full-blown settlement of its own, a king would then be crowned.

America did not get its first president until nearly three centuries AFTER its 'discovery', and had many, MANY settlements founded before then. Even the crown-appointed governors came well after that first voyage (so applying that to FR/fantasy, it would make sense that MH had a Governor first, and it may have even been Bunko, considering the life expectancy of dwarves).

Just my 2¢, for what it's worth.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Apr 2016 15:16:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  19:55:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the kings are backed by a house but the house is usually formed by a coalition of clans. A single group founding the hall would not be powerful enough to be recognised as a kingdom by the dwarves. But over time other clans migrate to the prosperous hall and then all it needs is for enough to band together to claim more than 50% support from the inhabitants.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  21:36:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

IMO, it would make even more sense if someone else 'founded' a place, as part of expansionist efforts from elsewhere (another dwarven hold, in this instance), and then at a later date, WELL AFTER the initial founding, and the place had become a full-blown settlement of its own, a king would then be crowned.

America did not get its first president until nearly three centuries AFTER its 'discovery', and had many, MANY settlements founded before then. Even the crown-appointed governors came well after the that first voyage (so applying that to FR/fantasy, it would make sense that MH had a Governor first, and it may have even been Bunko, considering the life expectancy of dwarves).

Just my 2¢, for what it's worth.

I very much agree with this, for the most part. I would add a couple alternatives to the expansionist idea, though. It could have been exiled or expatriate dwarves looking for a new home, or fleeing the fall of another kingdom. It could have even been dwarven adventurers or merchants passing by and finding something of interest, and deciding it was worth mining.

Aside from that minor quibble, I would agree that the mines and community were founded long before anyone thought of forging a crown.

I once pointed out, in another discussion, that one of the ways to leadership for a community can often be just being the first ones there. A small group of families settles, others follow, still others come in... Generations later, that tiny village is now the capital of a kingdom and the crown rests on the head of a descendant of the first guy to knock down a tree. Heck, that's pretty much the story of Cormyr.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  15:21:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was just going for brevity (imagine that!), but I agree with Wooly in that I meant "some dwarves stumbled upon the place for reasons unknown".

Another option in that vein is that it was the site of a battle, and the dwarves stuck around (and the battle may not have even involved the dwarves - it is integral part of the setting that just about everything is 'built upon the ruins of older civilizations'). For all we know, the dragons may have had an even more ancient claim.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000