Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Death Masks - New Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  03:16:31  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

Just saw this over at amazon.

Any idea in which year this is gonna be set?
Death Masks (Chosen Heirs) by Ed Greenwood

Pat

Mod edits: Moved from the ethers, and link cleaned up.

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Apr 2016 03:38:58

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  03:40:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's definitely set in the 5E era, with Lord Neverember ousted and Laeral as the Open Lord.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  04:07:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1491, according to Ed

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  18:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another murder-mystery thriller?
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  21:26:39  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any infos if this gonna be an elimster novel or a stand alone?

Im still stuck with "elminster in hell". Hope that novel was a fail and the other elminster books are much better.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  23:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

I recall Ed saying he has been contracted to write Elminster stories on the grounds that's his "signature" character. It's one of the reasons he wants to explore characters like Mirt for his DMGuild's writings

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  23:19:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im still stuck with "elminster in hell". Hope that novel was a fail and the other elminster books are much better.

Officially, it's going to be Elminster, but I think that you can read it as a stand alone. Ed has also said that this novel will feature and focus on many characters, rather than just Elminster (IIRC, the blurb doesn't even mention him)

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  23:20:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no mention of Elminster in the title or blurb. I'm guessing we're going to be seeing mostly new characters, myself, along with a handful of some familiar faces (Laeral being one of them).

Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  02:26:10  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's no mention of Elminster in the title or blurb. I'm guessing we're going to be seeing mostly new characters, myself, along with a handful of some familiar faces (Laeral being one of them).

I wonder if we will ever hear what happened to Piergeiron, Madeiron, Durnan, Texter, and the other Lords and prominent Waterdhavians from 1/2/3ed.?

Since it seems like the FR is firmly rooted to the FR 1480-1490's it would be nice to know what happened to some of these individuals.

Edited by - Clegane on 29 Apr 2016 04:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  05:31:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The majority of them are likely pushing up the daisies.

Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  15:26:23  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Probably so, but it would be nice to know what their remaining histories were? Were any more great deeds done? It would be helpful for those of us that don't want to play in a post spellplague realms. The last time I played in a campaign we used pre-ToT and I don't think I would ever play FR 1400 and beyond.

For me the early realms seems so rich because it was born out of 30 years of writing, gaming, and roleplaying by the creative force behind it, Ed Greenwood and his close friends. Maybe not world building to the extent of Tolkien and Middle-Earth but in a like way. Decades of world building by Ed has given a much deeper and realer feeling than a lot of Fantasy Settings. I think it is why I currently enjoy GRRM's GoT so much, there is tremendous world building involved along with the narrative. It's been a labor of love and a long organic process as Ed did with the FR that originally came in the old Grey Box set.

I think that has been one of the big disappointments for me in 4/5ed. I don't mind giving the new rule sets a go but not the movement from the original era. Unfortunately, they gave us a 100 year shift without letting us know what happened to many, many people we were familiar with in the intervening years. To jarring and manufactured and for me it takes me right out of the immersion of role playing.

Edited by - Clegane on 29 Apr 2016 17:02:44
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  19:28:53  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Funny, I actually think that among his older books Elminster in Hell is the best. The story really suited his writing style.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  22:07:07  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:

Funny, I actually think that among his older books Elminster in Hell is the best. The story really suited his writing style.

The Scenes in hell are poorly written like a movie script. And there are too much sub plots with charakters I never heard bevore. None of them interested me.

I buy a book about elminster getting out of hell, just to get a book about other charakters chatting with each other about stuff.

The three novels about young elminster, I enjoyed much more.

Edited by - Petra_W on 30 Apr 2016 22:15:48
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2016 :  01:02:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This will probably be an epic Waterdeep romp.

The main characters will be running (Chasing or being chased!!) from one Ward of Waterdeep to another in classic Greenwood style!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2016 :  09:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And there are too much sub plots with charakters I never heard bevore. None of them interested me.

I buy a book about elminster getting out of hell, just to get a book about other charakters chatting with each other about stuff.

That's precisely Nergal's viewpoint, and the whole book is a critique of it.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  16:16:36  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, but what's bothersome is how Wizards makes everything into an NDA and even Ed isn't allowed to address a lot of topics. They have already established that there will be no novels set in the past.

So the setting currently has 4 authors (Ed, RAS, Erin, and Troy) writing in the current timeline. They know good and well that 90% of their NDAs are not ever going to be addressed in novels at this point. So why not create a sourcebook called "Mysteries/Secrets of the Realms" and just unveil a bunch of stuff?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  17:04:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

True, but what's bothersome is how Wizards makes everything into an NDA and even Ed isn't allowed to address a lot of topics. They have already established that there will be no novels set in the past.

So the setting currently has 4 authors (Ed, RAS, Erin, and Troy) writing in the current timeline. They know good and well that 90% of their NDAs are not ever going to be addressed in novels at this point. So why not create a sourcebook called "Mysteries/Secrets of the Realms" and just unveil a bunch of stuff?

Because there is a cost associated with lifting NDAs, and there is no cost at all for leaving them in place.

For every NDA, they've got to review it, and make sure that lifting it does not affect any existing or potential future plans. Then they've got to have their legal folks go over it and make sure it is properly handled. Then they've got to notify all the people affected by the NDA, and the older the NDA is, the less likely it is that the affected people are still at the same address and phone number.

And they'd have to do that for every NDA they wanted to lift. That's time and money that could be much better directed in another direction, like simply creating something new and current.

And a lot of the stuff covered by NDA is not the kind of stuff that would be looked at for profitable material. Revealing who the cloaked figure was that attacked Bahb Nounsilver outside the Happy Hippogryph isn't going to earn much money when the timeline has advanced and Bahb and his attacker are likely both dead and the Hippogryph no longer stands.

(It was Stann Cloaklurker, by the way. He was mad about Bahb mocking him for that ridiculous last name. )

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 May 2016 17:07:12
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  03:58:51  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

Because there is a cost associated with lifting NDAs, and there is no cost at all for leaving them in place.

For every NDA, they've got to review it, and make sure that lifting it does not affect any existing or potential future plans. Then they've got to have their legal folks go over it and make sure it is properly handled. Then they've got to notify all the people affected by the NDA, and the older the NDA is, the less likely it is that the affected people are still at the same address and phone number.

And they'd have to do that for every NDA they wanted to lift. That's time and money that could be much better directed in another direction, like simply creating something new and current.

And a lot of the stuff covered by NDA is not the kind of stuff that would be looked at for profitable material. Revealing who the cloaked figure was that attacked Bahb Nounsilver outside the Happy Hippogryph isn't going to earn much money when the timeline has advanced and Bahb and his attacker are likely both dead and the Hippogryph no longer stands.

(It was Stann Cloaklurker, by the way. He was mad about Bahb mocking him for that ridiculous last name. )

That's to bad. Finding out what happened to a lot the major Realms NPC's and prior story characters is likely the only way for me personally to buy into the current era realms. I'll likely keep playing in pre 1370DR and continue to bypass the new novels for the most part.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000