Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Double Diamond Triangle Saga
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  18:38:16  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am interested on any thoughts or synopsis that anyone might offer. I love all things Waterdeep and Piergeiron and Madeiron Sunderstone are my two favorite FR characters. I know they both play some part in the series. All nine are currently available in used condition on Amazon. What are the pros and cons of the series? Is it considered FR canon? It looks like the whole series will run about $35.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  19:11:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$35 if you're patient. I've seen it go for less on eBay, but also for more... There's one seller that decided that since no one was buying it at $200, the logical conclusion was a need to raise the price to $250. I once messaged the guy, telling him it usually went for far less, but he never replied.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  19:36:51  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$35 is a good deal and saves a lot of pain if you can get the whole set for $35. To get a whole set, I had to buy two incomplete sets and mash them together, and that was after watching e-bay for 6 months or so. :P Granted, 6 months isn't all that long, but you get the drift.

I'm reading through them currently and they're fun light reads, but keep in mind that nothing in this series is canon so if you're only interested in canonical stuff, skip these books.
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  03:42:39  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it considered non-canon? Do events conflict with others in the established FR timeline?

How are the characterizations of known characters? Is that part fairly consistent with canon Realms Lore?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  11:09:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Why is it considered non-canon?

Because WotC actually said it wasn't canon.

quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Do events conflict with others in the established FR timeline?

I don't know, not having read the books... But at the time the books were written, they were well into the future for the Realms -- they were set something like 15-20 years after the then-current era.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  14:50:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the DDTS was a terrible series. Thankfully, they are quick reads.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  16:38:15  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Spoilers*

I found all Nine at a local MCkays last night for under $20. I have read through the first three and I find myself really liking them. They are a much lighter read then the usual FR novel but interesting. Loving Waterdeep, I enjoyed Piergeiron, Madeiron, Khelban and Aleena and the scheming politics of the nobles, guilds and merchants of Waterdeep.

I had read the Pools trilogy and played the games on the old Commodore 128 years ago, so I was familiar with the Paladins of Phlan. The third book Mercenaries deals with pirates from the Utter East, a place I am not familiar with.

All in all I am enjoying so far. Piergeiron and Madeiron Sunderstone were characters I had always hoped would see more attention in the classic Realms era. It's unlikely now with the century shift forward in time but at least I am finding it in this series.
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2016 :  02:59:09  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished 4-5-6 and I am enjoying this series and find it worth the purchase. The mercenaries and paladins these novels are centered around are a little monotone and the Utter East is covered very quickly. There doesn't seem to be enough exposition to really bring it to life. Kastanoph Nesher though continues to be one of the more interesting FR characters I have discovered recently and I wish there was more of him than this series.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000