Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 The Saurials of the Lost Vale - a Brainstorming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  02:27:06  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Tartarus in legend is known as the prison of the titans.

What is the Saurial equivelent?

Kaiju

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Rhaine
Acolyte

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  06:20:09  Show Profile Send Rhaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

Kaiju

Saurial Kaiju vs Faerunian piloted giant golems.

Just saying.
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  12:03:35  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and the faerunian piloted golems require both an elf and a dwarf to work together...so we can have shenanigans :D

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  16:09:53  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kaiju

That's a really good one.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  02:03:19  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and for your amusement, when you put strange creatures (aka the english for kaiju) into the english to draconic dictionary and it comes up with bvecko rekisixi

Do all Draconic words sound like your regurgitating phlegm? :p

Edited by - shades of eternity on 09 Apr 2016 02:04:41
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  21:16:16  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/sleepingdragon_photo/mymap_zpsy0ll4l0c.png

A rough draft of the Saurial's Home World.

Edited by - shades of eternity on 10 Apr 2016 00:25:39
Go to Top of Page

Rhaine
Acolyte

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2016 :  12:08:11  Show Profile Send Rhaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and the faerunian piloted golems require both an elf and a dwarf to work together...so we can have shenanigans :D

Heh! Or 5 people with colourful mage armour or perhaps the golems are armoured flesh golems possessed by the souls of the pilots' mothers.

But, I digress.
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Acolyte

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  19:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
But also part of it is that having the saurials from there makes it seem like it's not much harder to get from Toril to Abeir than it is to get from Toril to Sigil, or from Toril to Earth. And my thinking is that if Ao separated the two worlds so that one was someplace else entirely, leaving no one (aside from the gods) aware of its existence, than it shouldn't be just a hop, skip, and jump from one to the other. If it was that simple, why wasn't there more traffic between the worlds before? Why didn't the primordials and gods continue their ancient conflict?

I don't want to derail the thread, but related to this discussion, where in the universe IS Abeir supposed to be anyway? I know Spelljammer hasn't exactly been supported in a number of editions, but can you take your commandeered illithid nautilus for a little ride on over (my guess is no)?

By the time they thought of Abeir as a separate world, Spelljammer had long since been kicked to the curb.

Not so. The 4th Edition Era Blades of the Moonsea novel trilogy features a trip up into Realmspace. (So the existence of spelljamming ships has been "re-canonised" in both the 4th Edition Realms and 3rd Edition Realms.)

quote:
However, we do have the Realmspace supplement and its failure to mention Abeir. Plus, I believe it's stated somewhere that Abeir is in another dimension (which is, to me, another very weak explanation, given all our prior info about planes and such).

Abeir and Toril were split off into alternate dimensions. If nobody could get to Abeir from Toril, you wouldn't expect to be able to fly there in a spelljamming ship either.

Before the 5th Edition Era products came out, I was thinking about putting "Abeirspace*" "above" or "below" Realmspace, which would make it "impossible" to locate, if people left the sphere via portals on the "zodiac" of the sphere, but easy to find if people flew up to the zenith or down the the nadir. (And if the phlogiston rivers from other spheres all connected to Realmspace and not Abeirspace, you could have a "mirror" crystal sphere without Abeir affecting the Spelljammer universe (and without travel via the phlogiston allowing an early discovery of Abeir).

However, the fact that both planets seemed to remerge, would seem to suggest that a "Plane of Abeir" might be a better way to go.

* = Presumably, if you split the primordials off from Toril by splitting the world into two, you would also split them off from every other celestial body in Realmspace, creating a "mirror" version of the entire crystal sphere...although it might have some things, like the Tears of Selune, missing.

Now, if you did clone Realmspace to create Abeirspace, rather than just clone Toril, itself, to create a demi-plane that moves around within Realmspace, it would be relatively easy to put the Saurials somewhere else within the same "mirror" crystal sphere.

However, I don't think the 2e designers were thinking of Abeir, when they created the Saurial material, so I would probably be tempted to go with "Forgotten Realms" backstory (of the Realms originally being connected to countless other planets) and knock up a "Saurialspace" crystal sphere instead.

But I think that both options are workable.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Webmaster - Virtual Eclipse Roleplaying Club
http://www32.brinkster.com/virtualeclipse/
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/virtualeclipselrp/
Visit my Yahoo links for: Forgotten Realms websites, Al Qadim websites, Arcane Age websites, Kara-Tur websites, Maztica websites, The Horde websites and FRCS web enhancements
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  21:16:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac

quote:

By the time they thought of Abeir as a separate world, Spelljammer had long since been kicked to the curb.

Not so. The 4th Edition Era Blades of the Moonsea novel trilogy features a trip up into Realmspace. (So the existence of spelljamming ships has been "re-canonised" in both the 4th Edition Realms and 3rd Edition Realms.)

No, I am correct. The Spelljammer setting was published during 2E, and only during 2E. In 3E, there were only passing references to space travel (generally in vague terms, and described more as tales and legends), and none at all to actual spelljammers. In one notable case, a core supplement described neogi as a seaborne menace. The book mentioned they were known to have flying ships, and then brushed that aside to focus on the neogi as a purely groundling race.

So Spelljammer, like so many other settings, had been unceremoniously dumped.

And references to space travel don't necessarily mean Spelljammer, anyway -- before the setting was published, there was a Dragonlance book that had Sturm and Kitiara riding a gnomish ship to one of Krynn's moons.

Also, the Mulhorandi deities traveled thru space to get to the Realms, but it's not said that they used spelljamming to do that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  23:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac

quote:

No, I am correct. The Spelljammer setting was published during 2E, and only during 2E. In 3E, there were only passing references to space travel (generally in vague terms, and described more as tales and legends), and none at all to actual spelljammers. In one notable case, a core supplement described neogi as a seaborne menace. The book mentioned they were known to have flying ships, and then brushed that aside to focus on the neogi as a purely groundling race.

So Spelljammer, like so many other settings, had been unceremoniously dumped.

And references to space travel don't necessarily mean Spelljammer, anyway -- before the setting was published, there was a Dragonlance book that had Sturm and Kitiara riding a gnomish ship to one of Krynn's moons.

Also, the Mulhorandi deities traveled thru space to get to the Realms, but it's not said that they used spelljamming to do that.

I don't necessarily characterize that as a kicking to the curb, however. It seems almost as if they don't (officially) know what exactly to make of it, so they just won't touch the concept without fully fleshing out the specifics. I for one hope SJ comes back rip raring to go, minus some of the old wonkiness.

Wasn't there a series of Dragon articles for 3e as well...Spider Moon or some such?

Edit: Yikes, I'm sorry for my temporary derailment of this thread. Considering once again my original thought, yeah it is certainly unlikely that Abeir and the saurials are out there in Realmspace.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 12 Apr 2016 23:23:04
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  13:05:05  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
meh no worries, it keeps this post alive

(hell, if I knew where I could on this forum, I'd throw my own brainstorms on spelljammer for people to use).

A progress report.

I'm almost done the fluff, and getting ready to do the crunch (although the 4 core saurial races are done) and formatting.

however, I do have a question.

Anybody use cityographer?

Trying to use it for the lost vale and hit a few bottlenecks.

Additionally if anybody can point me at a public domain texture and/or public domain pics that would be dinosaur related, that would be seriously appreciated.

This also includes anything on the dm's guild that would be appropriate.

to give you an idea, this is the cover I'm trying to emulate

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/5/5e/Giantcraft_cover.jpg

aka texture with a cool pic. It's a means of giving it the 2e feel.

At times like this I wish we could use the forgotten realms logo. If I'm reading it right, we can use the dm's guild logo and that is pretty much it.

Is their a public domain equivalent we can use?

How about font's to use. I usually fall back on times new roman for the body and bookman's for the header's, but wondering if there is a more fr equivalent font's that is available freely.

Thanks guys, this has really acted as a serious stimulus to have a place to ask such questions. :)

edit: I was going through the dm's guild's art and found a pic of a scaled stalker (heck it's the poster child of the humanoid stock art). I know absolutely nothing beyond a quick write up, and wondering if they could be the equivalent of a saurial related species. Your guys thoughts?

Edited by - shades of eternity on 13 Apr 2016 15:17:31
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  22:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Saurials of the Lost Vale - a Brainstorming Session

4e was worse. Thanks to Netheril, it looked like they had pretty much been written out of the world (driven underground is pretty much the canon equivalent of "being put on a bus.")

Believe it or not, I added that sentence to the 4E FRCG to "save" the saurials. I didn't want another designer to come along and say they were wiped out by the spellplague or that the Netherese enslaved them or other such nonsense. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb will write a future Alias novel and perhaps see the saurials return from their safe haven in underdark.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  22:37:26  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case, I'm seriously glad you did and thank you immensely. :)

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  04:41:16  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kaiju

GODZILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  00:01:15  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhaine

quote:

Kaiju

Saurial Kaiju vs Faerunian piloted giant golems.

Just saying.

This reminds me of an idea I had for a campaign a few years ago...
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  13:13:24  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update.

I'm completing monsters, doing editing, and getting up standards to Dm's Guild formating.

I do have a question though.

I had to create the Saurial Homeworld pretty much in it's entirety and it took up a sizable chunk of the book.

How much room can it take before it no longer becomes acceptable to the dm's guild?

also, is it wrong to release a "beer and pretzels version that just has what we were able to cobble together using public domain material for a pay as you want version and then run a kickstarter to get professional level art and editing for a more commercial version?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  16:16:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC's legal department would likely come down on you like a falling Netherese enclave, if you did a Kickstarter with material based on a WotC intellectual property.

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  18:28:47  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WotC's legal department would likely come down on you like a falling Netherese enclave, if you did a Kickstarter with material based on a WotC intellectual property.

Well that certainly makes that decision easier. :p

It was going to go to dm's guild either way, but not rocking the boat. :)

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  18:01:57  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay an update.

I'm just finishing up a few delves, doing a walk through and it's ready to go.

Lost Vale and Homeworld (aka Saurial Home Realm) are now fleshed out and properly mapped, as are the monsters I wanted are now statted out.

Thanks everyone for your info. :)

I'll start the actual process of the dm's guild at the end of the month. I just want to polish it a bit and switch hats.

but I do have a few questions.

1. I can't draw, but was able to fiddle with pics thanks to heromachine I can try to do something.

I've confirmed it's acceptable to use it in commercial.

here's a rough attempt.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/sleepingdragon_photo/heromachine%20finhead%20take%202_zpstxmazwwh.png

Just seeing if this is acceptable, or is this a turn off?

2. Any hurdles to aware of with concern to the dm's guild. I'm canadian and wondering what business type stuff I should do before I approach them.

against if those want to give their 2 cents, feel free to contact me and I'll show you what's done.

thanks all. :)

Edited by - shades of eternity on 10 Jun 2016 18:04:42
Go to Top of Page

apotheot
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  23:44:20  Show Profile Send apotheot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please keep in mind the Malatran Saurials (Lacerials) arrived on Toril in 1367 DR. It was covered in the Living Jungle adventure Death from the Mists. An Abier connection still works, but they could not be associated with having come during the first Sundering.
-Apotheot
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  19:51:54  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update

We bounced it off a few people and are doing another edit due to issues found.

I'm aiming for a September release as we asked a friend whose a professional to proof read.

I'm of the belief I'd rather have the issues fixed before then after it is released.

I'll keep you guys posted once I get an update myself. :)

Edited by - shades of eternity on 02 Aug 2016 23:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  21:44:14  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of narrative would you attach to the Saurials?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2016 :  14:41:59  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2016/09/the-saurials-of-lost-vale-coming-out.html

Finally comfortable enough with the final results to announce it's release next week.

As for narrative themes for Saurials, the big one's I found are loss, survival, fish out of water stories, but hopeful.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2016 :  00:10:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool. I was actually looking to use Saurials in something I'm writing for Katashaka. How many of the races did you convert? I don't think I've seen anyone do a conversion yet except for the pterafolk

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2016 :  12:28:21  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I converted all 4 of the subraces of the Saurials.

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  22:38:28  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/194578/The-Saurials-of-the-Lost-Vale

still working the bugs out (never done dmsguild before), but it's live.

Thanks everyone. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  02:31:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized we have pretty definite proof that the saurials are not from Abeir...

They had and worshipped gods.

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  05:17:07  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, seriously glad I didn't go with that.

Felt like I just dodged a bullet. :)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  13:32:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey, the saurials in Malatra, where'd they come from?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  14:03:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive stuff! I've long been a fan of scalyfolk, so you can be sure I'll be making use of this.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000