Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 map making software recommendations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2016 :  23:10:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know there's a ton of people here who are into fantasy cartography. Is there any recommendation for some easy to use mapping software. I've got the old FR interactive atlas, but its getting dated in its quality, and I've used an old version of campaign cartographer (but that was more for dungeons for me). I'd want someone more like visio that's object related where you can click to add and remove objects, instead of something like paint where what you add is pretty much there unless you erase over it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2016 :  00:57:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of those people are at Cartographers' Guild - there's software and tutorial subforums and tutorial site section...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Mar 2016 00:57:55
Go to Top of Page

Pagangamer
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2016 :  01:29:14  Show Profile Send Pagangamer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Fractal Mapper by NBOS

http://www.nbos.com/products/fractal-mapper

Nothing is Forgotten....Nothing is ever Forgotten
Go to Top of Page

Kessalin
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2016 :  05:20:02  Show Profile Send Kessalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at Campaign Cartographer 3? I just took a look and there's a picture in the product gallery that does a passable impression of the 3rd Edition Realms maps.

Profantasy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2016 :  15:29:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kessalin

Have you looked at Campaign Cartographer 3? I just took a look and there's a picture in the product gallery that does a passable impression of the 3rd Edition Realms maps.

Profantasy.com

Yes, I downloaded it in the hopes that I could easily convert the old FR Atlas stuff. Sadly, the old FR atlas stuff was detailed for its time, but its nowhere near the quality I see nowadays.

Where did you see this stuf in their gallery? Was it just "looking like" or was it actual 3e maps?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kessalin
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  14:40:12  Show Profile Send Kessalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the image I was referring to: https://secure.profantasy.com/images/cc3/gallery/gallery01.jpg

That map style is part of their Annual Volume 3. It's the "Fantasy Realms" link on the left: http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2009/

I took the leap and purchased CC3, and am working my way up the (steep) learning curve. What you said about things you add to a map being there unless you erase over them doesn't seem to hold true, due to the sheets>layers setup. As long as you're careful and put everything on its intended layer you can manipulate them without disturbing anything else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000