Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Mundane Items Every Adventurer Needs...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  05:59:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards can make use of the item spell to "tokenize" all sorts of useful objects. Including a lit campfire or a (small) banquet or a sack stuffed full of supplies.

My uncles used to go on "adventures" in the woods, claiming that the "essential" items were a roll of duct-tape, some zip-ties, an axe, a hammer, a crowbar, and a shovel. (And I never understood exactly why although I still find this particular selection of "essential" gear a little disturbing.)

"Survival gear" is often overlooked. It depends on the terrain, of course. You won't last long wearing a padded parka or without some water containers in the desert. You won't last long wearing a chainmail bikini or without a source of fire in the arctic. Not every adventure carries one through a generic "Sherwood Forest" setting like Cormyr or the Dales, filled with easy game and burbling streams and sunny afternoons.

Rangers tend to travel light, carrying everything they need to "live off the land" on their person (and/or on their mount).
Paladins tend to require a little pile of holy paraphernalia, although the more militant ones can often incorporate holy symbols into whatever arms and crests they bear.
Wizards and thieves require all sorts of little tools and components to practice their craft. Although part of their craft involves methods to collect, store, carry, repurpose, and even improvise with these sorts of materials.
Dwarves and halflings might argue that a small wagon of ale or beer or mead is needed for survival, although this is debatable.

Anyone carrying any kind of blade (even an eating utensil or carving blade) needs a good whetstone to keep the edge.
Anyone wearing chain can maintain and patch the armor on the field by pulling links (extra links intended for this purpose) from the edges of the sleeves or hems and linking them where needed. Anyone wearing plate can use a stone to pound the worst dents and malformations into rough shape. And anyone wearing these (or even leather) armors would need to regularly apply some oil or wax with a cleaning rag to prevent corrosion. Regular visits to real smiths would be needed for real repairs on these weapons and armors.

PCs are (theoretically) "real" people. They'd need all sorts of small items and games and entertainments, more than just dice for that gambling skill or books for the scholar or poems for the bard. Only the most seriously grim characters would utterly lack interest in anything outside of their quest focus.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Sep 2017 06:18:31
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  15:17:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Wizards can make use of the item spell to "tokenize" all sorts of useful objects. Including a lit campfire or a (small) banquet or a sack stuffed full of supplies.

My uncles used to go on "adventures" in the woods, claiming that the "essential" items were a roll of duct-tape, some zip-ties, an axe, a hammer, a crowbar, and a shovel. (And I never understood exactly why although I still find this particular selection of "essential" gear a little disturbing.)

Ummm, I think I can solve that little mystery, though I'd bet I'm wrong. Still..... ummm... Ayrik, were any people suddenly "disappearing" after these adventures on the local news?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2017 :  07:17:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many PCs never use a machete, happily using their swords to cut and chop their way through jungles, forests, and bush.

This Machete vs Sword article is fairly comprehensive. But it seems to assume "sword" means "big, long sword". Does one really need a proper machete when a D&D-type (thick, stabby, 12" to 18" long) short sword is cheap and commonly available?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Solus Galerion
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2017 :  04:04:08  Show Profile Send Solus Galerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every adventure, big or small, needs ink and parchment - to document all.

So Sayeth Solomon Regulus Galerion - Solus for short.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2018 :  01:20:16  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't believe you carry all this crap.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2018 :  01:59:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Can't believe you carry all this crap.

Can we safely assume, then, that you've no mundane items to add to this list?

Personally, I think there have been a lot of handy suggestions in this list. Characters need more than just a +2 Sword of Niftiness or a Cloak of Calrissian* when they're not in combat, and it's easy to overlook such things before heading out into the wild.

*It's stylish and provides a Charisma bonus!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  04:51:08  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OKay I do carry a folding boat. I carry my wands in it. Including a Wand of minor creation.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  04:58:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You seem to have missed the point of the discussion -- non-magical essentials for dungeon crawls. Perhaps you could add to that discussion?

Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  05:48:48  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Mage is blind, uses magic to see. Carries a wand of minor creation, A folding boat, which works as a bucket, a ladder, a cabin, a bridge... can be used to slide down hills in winter. etc... If you need a pole it has oars. Minor creation, creation, fabricate, stone shape, move earth, Overland flight, gaseous form, fly, teleport, scrying, detect thoughts or ESP. Mount spell. Polymorph other, polymorph self.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  13:41:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in other words, no, you don't have anything to add to a discussion about non-magical items.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  18:45:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So in other words, no, you don't have anything to add to a discussion about non-magical items.

What he's saying Wooly is that he creates whatever he needs using a specific magic item and thus doesn't have to carry everything that people might list. He wants a non-magical crowbar? He creates it. He wants a 10' pole? He creates it. In this way he doesn't have to tote a bunch of items

Mostly, he's roleplaying. Of course, along these same lines, a person could also note everything they carry so that they see them and think about them... and much like the folding both, they go into an extradimensonal space..... along with the 5 weeks of food they're also carrying... the raw meat for their griffon that they keep in a magical refrigerator that's also in that extradimensional space... and the skeletal servants that they keep as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  01:02:37  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one said tent?

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  02:28:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No one said tent?

Yes indeed someone said tent. On the first page of this scroll. A tarp of course can be made into a tent and might weigh a little less.

I or maybe another should go though the items offered by some of the scribes of all the ideas offered.

Not that every adventurer could carry or even want to carry all of them every time. Even a party might not carry the entire list of ideas offered.

Edited by - Kentinal on 10 Jul 2018 02:28:40
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  02:57:02  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As a wizard, your non-magical items are other people.

Torches? Clerics.

Healing kits? Clerics.

Boats? Well, what else is the fighter good for?

Prybars and lockpicks? Just tell the barbarian that crate insulted his mother or something.

Bedrolls? That's what the buxom bard is there for!

Tent? The druid can shapeshift into something, can't he? Never heard of a tree-hugger that can't.

Rope? Just sit on the fighter's head.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  04:38:13  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't spells mainly in Wand or Potion form eliminate the mundane. I can understand a Fighter needing a rope or a Thief, tools.

For me the only mundane items are books, with spells written inside. Components kept in individual packets wrapped in waxed paper and stored in a foil or green leaf. Some not wrapped components and the specials wands of eating which are not mundane just used in a mundane fashion.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2018 :  21:31:48  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only other Mundane items a Red Wizard might use are Weapons. A Staff, a Sling, Dagger or a Heavy Crossbow. Occasionally a Flail. Quivers for Bolts of various kinds. Or various clothes before we enchant them. Maybe a sack at lower levels or ???

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  15:12:36  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't spells mainly in Wand or Potion form eliminate the mundane. I can understand a Fighter needing a rope or a Thief, tools.

For me the only mundane items are books, with spells written inside. Components kept in individual packets wrapped in waxed paper and stored in a foil or green leaf. Some not wrapped components and the specials wands of eating which are not mundane just used in a mundane fashion.

Every PC without exception uses and requires some sort of mundane item whether of magical origin or not.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2018 :  04:50:44  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone mentioned a small shovel. Useful to make sure your campfire doesn't start a forest fire, burying a kill so buzzards don't give away your position (assuming you can't burn it), and for digging a latrine (why make it easier for whatever is hunting you to follow you).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000