Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Archon Dragthid
Acolyte

Luxembourg
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2016 :  11:10:55  Show Profile Send Archon Dragthid a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow members,

I recently came across an online article about a new D&D movie (Warner Bros & Hasbro collaboration) that will supposedly take place in the FR featuring Drizzt as main character...

Anyone knows anything more about this?

thanks in advance

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2016 :  13:35:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last time I checked it wasn't known whether the plot would involve Drizzt or not. However, unless they made other updates, we only know that such a movie is in the works, and little else.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2016 :  13:59:47  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I haven't heard anything new about this project since I first heard about it in early August.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  04:15:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope it isn't a Drizzt movie, as much as I love Drizzt. If they are going to make an FR movie, please do it with original characters.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  07:37:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, I haven't heard anything on the topic as of late, especially from WotC. As for FR-based, I'm not sure how that would go. The only setting-defining events that take place THAT involve a group of Heroes basically turn into Realm Shaking Events. So unless you want to do a movie about that, the Realms just isn't the best setting for a movie that's going to attract the sorts of crowds that Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings has received. There's just nothing definitive about the product that catches a large audience IMO.

A setting that would do well would be Dragonlance. There's a host of interesting heroes who battle a greater foe bent on ruling the world. That's a dozen organizations in the Realms already that could fit that bill. Not only is DL a better setting, it's an overall better story because it's singular. The effects of the War of the Lance are World-Shaping, apposed to a small band of say....Harpers stopping an evil wizard taking over the Silver Marches.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I really hope it isn't a Drizzt movie, as much as I love Drizzt. If they are going to make an FR movie, please do it with original characters.

When has original characters done well for a D&D movie, or any Fantasy-based movie? Conan = Iconic. The Fellowship = Iconic. Bilbo = Iconic. Harry Potter (and his group of friends) = Iconic. Each one of these characters are pretty much the Stars of their respective franchises. And it's one singular aspect that D&D has a sever lack of. When non-fantasy oriented people think of D&D, they don't think of some warrior or crazy wizard, they think of a group of nerds sitting in their Grandma's basement drinking soda-pop and rolling dice while looking at books. And they're largely right.

The Forgotten Realms setting does, however, have an Iconic character and that's Drizzt. That character is probably the setting AND D&D brands BEST shot at becoming something more than a game friends play in basements. He's intriguing (dark elf origins), unique (cool fighting style), mystical (summons a black panther), and has a bevy of interesting friends who tag along with him. HIS story and HIS adventures might be enough to capture non-fantasy people into watching his tales and stories. It might be, but I'd wager that it was a long shot. The problem is that some of his biggest detractors are the ones closest to the product source, D&D fans. They're just as critical of his character and his stories as Trekkies are of (insert hated series here, mostly Enterprise for whatever reason?) and I simply do NOT understand it. That would be like Marvel coming out with a new X-Men movie and hearing tons of Marvel "Fans" say: "Oh please don't put in or focus on Wolverine". But why? He's a fan favorite of pretty much most people BESIDES Marvel fans.

Basically it comes down to:

1.) Do you want a movie that going to make LOTS of money and increase the sales of the brand/game/setting and give it more exposure

Or

2.) DO you want a movie that will most likely flop but be super excited and giggle at all the small uses of D&D terms like Beholders, Mordenkainen, Elminster, Tenser's Floating Disc, and the Zhentarim?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  14:11:39  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Point taken, however, there is a good chance the movie could be a flop even if it is Drizzt. And a Drizzt movie would do well for the Drizzt franchise (because that's essentially what it's become), but not necessarily for FR itself. Now, I love Drizzt, but I just don't think it would benefit the Realms or draw in new fans, except maybe to Drizzt specifically.

But you're right in that it probably would bring in the most money, which is what they want. However, I bet a lot of D&D fans WOULD be like "no, not a Drizzt movie". A Drizzt movie (or any FR movie), IS going to have to be done just right, or it will be a flop, and fans will be angry. With something like the Realms, even if it is Drizzt, that is going to be hard to capture.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  14:18:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it will take an act of Tymora for any D&D movie to succeed. It's difficult to make a fantasy-related movie mainstream and pull it off well. The LOTR movies were fantastic, but most of the stuff that comes out is merely visually appealing while lacking story or a strong cast, etc.

Take the "Shannara Chronicles" for example: looks great (aside from the over-indulged elf ears), tastes like crap. Terrible casting, writing, so on and so forth.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  14:30:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't watched that series, mainly because I haven't read the newest Shannara books yet (I have read the older ones), and also, while I like them, they aren't my favorite.

But yeah, you have a point.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  14:38:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Point taken, however, there is a good chance the movie could be a flop even if it is Drizzt. And a Drizzt movie would do well for the Drizzt franchise (because that's essentially what it's become), but not necessarily for FR itself. Now, I love Drizzt, but I just don't think it would benefit the Realms or draw in new fans, except maybe to Drizzt specifically.

If it draws just Drizzt fans, I'm ok with that. He's the reason why I got interested in the Forgotten Realms in the first place (and Baldur's Gate video game). Everyone needs their gateway...um...character?

quote:

But you're right in that it probably would bring in the most money, which is what they want. However, I bet a lot of D&D fans WOULD be like "no, not a Drizzt movie". A Drizzt movie (or any FR movie), IS going to have to be done just right, or it will be a flop, and fans will be angry. With something like the Realms, even if it is Drizzt, that is going to be hard to capture.

Agreed, that's why any D&D movie is a gamble. Looking at their past movies (1 was horrible, 2 and 3 were only marginally better story and CGI-wise) it's easy to see why people might not go to it. I think Drizzt's character can draw up enough intrigue to be a compelling character to non-fantasy minded people. It might not be what D&D people want but we're, unfortunately, vastly in the minority here.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  14:41:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I think it will take an act of Tymora for any D&D movie to succeed. It's difficult to make a fantasy-related movie mainstream and pull it off well. The LOTR movies were fantastic, but most of the stuff that comes out is merely visually appealing while lacking story or a strong cast, etc.

Take the "Shannara Chronicles" for example: looks great (aside from the over-indulged elf ears), tastes like crap. Terrible casting, writing, so on and so forth.

This really goes to show how people's tastes differ. My wife and I both love the new series. I haven't had any problem with the casting or acting and I think the story is pretty cool. I don't have the perspective of someone who's read the books so I don't think I have any biases towards the story. Similar to when they had the series Legend of the Seeker, my wife and I loved the show but I heard from a few fans of the books how bad the show was.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  15:57:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

When has original characters done well for a D&D movie, or any Fantasy-based movie?

Ever hear of a little movie called Star Wars? You take away the spaceships (or simply swap them out with your standard wooden sailing ship), it's a guy with a magic sword fighting the evil wizard king and the king's magic sword-wielding henchman.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Feb 2016 16:18:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  16:17:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another factoid: every noteworthy character in the Realms was new, once. They became iconic thru their stories. Heck, that's pretty much the case for any fictitious character, regardless of the medium: it's the stories told about them that make them noteworthy.

So if that formula has worked so well with every single previous iconic character, then I don't see why it can't work again.

On a related note... Of all the iconic characters of the Realms, which ones can have their stories adequately told, and have a movie that will appeal to people who have never even touched a D20, all in one single movie?

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  17:49:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Drizzt got me started in the Realms, too, but after reading other Realms books, if I were to introduce the world to someone, I would be like "yeah, you should read Drizzt, but read these other series first".

Drizzt has become a franchise in itself (himself). I love him, but it's like, there are these Realms stories, and then there is Drizzt. The series has morphed into its own thing and is using the Realms as a backdrop. If they want to make a D&D movie, then they need to make a D&D movie, not a Drizzt movie.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  18:37:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

When has original characters done well for a D&D movie, or any Fantasy-based movie?

Ever hear of a little movie called Star Wars? You take away the spaceships (or simply swap them out with your standard wooden sailing ship), it's a guy with a magic sword fighting the evil wizard king and the king's magic sword-wielding henchman.

And one of the reasons why people like it is that it does have things like space ships and sci-fi in it to mix it up a bit. Remove that part and it flops IMO.

quote:

Here's another factoid: every noteworthy character in the Realms was new, once. They became iconic thru their stories. Heck, that's pretty much the case for any fictitious character, regardless of the medium: it's the stories told about them that make them noteworthy.

So if that formula has worked so well with every single previous iconic character, then I don't see why it can't work again.

I think it has to do with the genre far more than the character itself. Most fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural movies that come out now are based on books with LARGE teen fan-bases. Even Conan was more than just Arnold wielding a sword as it had a LARGE collection of novels and comics. Same thing with most movies today, they already have large followings. D&D, while a great game, doesn't translate well to the big screen because the following isn't doing the same story. People have their preferences, especially when it comes to D&D and their various editions and settings. And there's really nothing to narrow down that scope to a singular aspect.

quote:

On a related note... Of all the iconic characters of the Realms, which ones can have their stories adequately told, and have a movie that will appeal to people who have never even touched a D20, all in one single movie?

Drizzt aside, I'm not sure? Most of the iconic characters are already enmeshed within the setting and locales of the world. I think a better question is: what part of the Realms do we focus on AND what time frame? WotC will almost require it be set in it's current time and setting (thus, post Spell-plague 1490's DR). In that time frame, I'd have to say the best shot would be Shadowbane by Erik Scott deBie. His character is intriguing and fun and set in some of the best-known locations on Faerűn.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  22:11:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

This really goes to show how people's tastes differ. My wife and I both love the new series. I haven't had any problem with the casting or acting and I think the story is pretty cool. I don't have the perspective of someone who's read the books so I don't think I have any biases towards the story. Similar to when they had the series Legend of the Seeker, my wife and I loved the show but I heard from a few fans of the books how bad the show was.

I thought "Legend of the Seeker" suffered from the same things I listed for the "Shannara Chronicles."

On a positive note, the "Game of Thrones" show did an excellent job in their casting.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  23:11:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
best way to make a dnd FR movie, is to do it on an existing FR module.... Eye of the Beholder my work there.... otherwise get a dnd adventure module ro write out an outline for a script....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  00:05:58  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if it isn't accurate at all, if a huge blockbuster with mass appeal will breath new life into the setting and attract fans to the novels, resulting in greater output of novels, it sounds like a good deal. Man can't live on two novels a year.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  02:17:39  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh I hear you there. I miss the proliferation of novels the setting used to have.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 14 Feb 2016 04:14:16
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  04:02:01  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would pay to see a Drizzt versus Godzilla movie. And then throw in some 3rd-rate actors like one of the Kardashians. And a washed up talent like Jeff Goldblum or Bruce Willis. Add some good CGI and it's the best movie in years!

Just kidding.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  04:45:25  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rise of Thay could be a HBO series by itself. PoVs could be of the original founders (Ythazz, Velsharoon, etc) in the first arc, eventually culminating with Szass Tam's plans for uniting Thay concurrent with Velsharoon's ascension.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  05:58:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Drizzt aside, I'm not sure?

His backstory is a trilogy by itself. You can't build a movie around him without delving into his past, and if you do that, you don't have time to do anything else.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  06:39:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The rise of Thay could be a HBO series by itself. PoVs could be of the original founders (Ythazz, Velsharoon, etc) in the first arc, eventually culminating with Szass Tam's plans for uniting Thay concurrent with Velsharoon's ascension.

You know, with the love of zombies in mainstream media of today that could possibly work well.
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  07:42:36  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess, as they are aiming for blockbuster, they will not burn their fingers on unknown characters, but really go for a Drizzt story. An established character is likely to draw more interest from those having seen the (D&)D-movies from around 2000. I'd even say they'll be using one of the existing trilogies as a basis.
My strong recommendation would however be to get Salvatore into cooperating with the script! He's the one "knowing" the character and the lore around it.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  07:49:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

His backstory is a trilogy by itself. You can't build a movie around him without delving into his past, and if you do that, you don't have time to do anything else.

Readers jumped right in, accepted that he was a unique character from the get-go and then got the backstory in a later trilogy. I don't see why that cannot translate to the bg screen?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  14:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Readers jumped right in, accepted that he was a unique character from the get-go and then got the backstory in a later trilogy. I don't see why that cannot translate to the bg screen?

Because the readers had enough background knowledge to know that a good drow on the surface was unusual. The average movie-goer wouldn't know a drow from a osquip, and wouldn't see any particular significance to one being a good guy.

Not only that, but the first book was not Drizzt's story. He was Wulfgar's sidekick.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  15:18:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh the Icewind Dale trilogy ... it was nice when Drizzt wasn't the focus of everything in the universe.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  16:28:57  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale seemed like a Drizzt story to me. He was as much of a main character as Wulfgar, and he certainly held my interest more than Wulfgar did. The early books were certainly more about Drizzt than the latest one was.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  12:22:04  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He was Wulfgar's sidekick.

We must have read a diffrent series
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  12:32:47  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You better not mention this to George Lucas…. because if he gets a hold of the Drizzt script and he likes it, he will plan to make at least 3 movies based on his PREQUEL (backstory) alone.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  14:24:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because the readers had enough background knowledge to know that a good drow on the surface was unusual. The average movie-goer wouldn't know a drow from a osquip, and wouldn't see any particular significance to one being a good guy.

I certainly didn't know that, honestly. My first D&D-based book was Dragonlance and in that series Dark Elves weren't Drow but just evil normal elves. So when I started reading Drizzt, I had to learn from those books (and later D&D) about Drow and Lloth/Lolth and why he is unique. Plus that can easily be covered in a quick monologue at the beginning of the movie, similar to how we hear Galadriel in the beginning of Lord of the Rings. A brief mention of who drow are, why they're punished, and how a hero emerges from the darkness to forsake his lineage.

quote:

Not only that, but the first book was not Drizzt's story. He was Wulfgar's sidekick.

Initially yes, Wulfgar was supposed to be the star. That didn't happen and even in the novel, at least the refurbished one I read, starred mostly Drizzt. I mean, if it was about Wulfgar why wasn't it him that defeated Akar Kessel?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  14:56:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Initially yes, Wulfgar was supposed to be the star. That didn't happen and even in the novel, at least the refurbished one I read, starred mostly Drizzt. I mean, if it was about Wulfgar why wasn't it him that defeated Akar Kessel?

Wulfgar was supposed to be the "star" in The Crystal Shard, it wasn't until after the book was published and Drizzt emerged as the star that he decided to focus on him. Why then did he not have Wulfgar do more important things in The Crystal Shard? I guess he didn't plan the book out very well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000