Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Vaasa, damara, narfell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2021 :  20:43:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

It doesnt mention Garuut-Cu in any of them specifically, it mentions portals.

Eric already placed Garuut-Cu beneath Castle Perilous. In Throne of Bloodstone the heroes enter a mercurial pool that is a portal to the planes.

In Mines of Bloodstone there is a mercurial portal that Orcus uses to transform a duergar into an aspect of himself to destroy the svirfneblin city.

I link the two portals because they are described the same and both are linked to Orcus. I link them to Garuut-Cu because Eric already placed it in Castle Perilous.

The portal nexus thing was my own idea to explain why two portals might be linked. The portal in the mines of bloodstone seems lesser because Orcus doesnt come through it but is able to establish a connection to create an aspect.

Well, where did this term "Garuut-Cu" itself come from? What product? Or is that a homebrew thing from Eric that we're adopting (like the athora, which I wholly accept from Ed/George)? I've never heard of it before this topic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2021 :  20:48:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The latest Jergal Lord of the End of Everything has Garuut-Cu as part of a spellweaver portal network that the Dark Three use to gain access to Jergal and his domain.

Myrkul journeys to Garuut-Cu and does something there.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2021 :  21:18:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The latest Jergal Lord of the End of Everything has Garuut-Cu as part of a spellweaver portal network that the Dark Three use to gain access to Jergal and his domain.

Myrkul journeys to Garuut-Cu and does something there.

Gotcha. I need to relook at that with some research. There were several references that rang a bell, but were names that I wasn't sure where I knew them from.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2021 :  22:53:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The portal network is actually Garuut-Omrum. Garuut-Cu is the Castle Perilous terminus. (See Jergal: Lord of the End of Everything.)

The key reference you might have missed is The Moonsea: The Moonsea Player’s Guide, page 29. (Specifically, the reference to Vaasa.)

Other references from that product include: The Moonsea: The Moonsea Reference Guide, page 48, The Moonsea: The Moonsea Player’s Guide, pages 19-20.

The reference to Helligheim comes from Underdark, page 184.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 17 Aug 2021 22:55:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2021 :  00:22:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, Easter Eggs

So, the silvery pyramid on Sorcerers' Isle is part of this network and is probably a spellweaver (or some other groups) creation

Pg 29 of Moonsea Player's Guide
The Sorcerers' Isle
Some say that this ancient structure was built by wizards and sages from the Old Kingdoms, since its pyramid shape is a form of architecture more commonly found in such lands. In any case, the Sorcerer's Isle seems to have been designed as a place of solitude for wizards to study, perform research, and cast spells.

Certain sages say that the builders of Ironfang Keep and the Sorcerers' Isle are one and the same. They go on to speculate that both structures are power points of a triangle, but the third point has been hidden. They claim the third point either goes downward into the elven forests of Cormanthor or upward into Vaasa. No one has ever been able to prove this theory, and personally, I think it is a bit far-fetched.

Whether this is true or not, many explorers and travelers claim to have seen great numbers of wizards from Zhentil Keep and Thay, and the Cloaks of Mulmaster, exploring the structure at different times. It is thought that perhaps one of those wizard power groups intends to claim the Isle as its own. Since there are several in contention for it, one can only guess at the massive magical struggle that may ensue. Of course, nearby Phlan may suffer greatly from such a battle and would require adventurers to protect the still-recovering city.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2021 :  11:51:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys should really read Eric’s work more closely. He always uses the old stuff in new and enhanced ways.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2021 :  16:44:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, redownloading the Jergal article to THIS computer and looking for that new term... so it sounds like the batrachi were involved with this, and there's a lot more info... I skimmed it previously, but I really need to read it. Three of the locations for this Garuut-Omrum (the batrachi name) are
Garuut-Ar at the mouth of the River Stojenaw (Modern: Sorcerer’s Isle in Phlan)
Garuut-Au in the caverns beneath Ironfang Keep (which predated the structure built by the fire giants of Helligheim)
Garuut-Cu covered by the ice of the Great Glacier (Modern: caverns beneath Castle Perilous in Vaasa)

Garuut-Cu (Castle Perilous) is where Myrkul in theory "ascended"... or at least accessed... the path to Jergal's realm.

By the way, I'm curious if there's a play on things with the naming of these... i.e. Cu is copper, Au is gold, Ar is argon... which of course leads me to "The Adamantine Seal" being created by the people of Narfell prior to the creation of Impiltur at what becomes known as the Citadel of Conjurers. Might it be created on some even older site that's tied to the batrachi (or even older to spellweavers). I ask because I very much wonder of the interrelation of the demoncysts, this portal network, Orcus' interests, etc... and perhaps the site of the demoncyst in Thaymount (and possibly the origin of the orcgate) might also be linked into this.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2021 :  01:03:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, redownloading the Jergal article to THIS computer and looking for that new term... so it sounds like the batrachi were involved with this, and there's a lot more info... I skimmed it previously, but I really need to read it. Three of the locations for this Garuut-Omrum (the batrachi name) are
Garuut-Au in the caverns beneath Ironfang Keep (which predated the structure built by the fire giants of Helligheim)
Garuut-Cu covered by the ice of the Great Glacier (Modern: caverns beneath Castle Perilous in Vaasa)

Garuut-Cu (Castle Perilous) is where Myrkul in theory "ascended"... or at least accessed... the path to Jergal's realm.

By the way, I'm curious if there's a play on things with the naming of these... i.e. Cu is copper, Au is gold, Ar is argon... which of course leads me to "The Adamantine Seal" being created by the people of Narfell prior to the creation of Impiltur at what becomes known as the Citadel of Conjurers. Might it be created on some even older site that's tied to the batrachi (or even older to spellweavers). I ask because I very much wonder of the interrelation of the demoncysts, this portal network, Orcus' interests, etc... and perhaps the site of the demoncyst in Thaymount (and possibly the origin of the orcgate) might also be linked into this.

Probably should have been Ag, not Ar.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 19 Aug 2021 01:04:35
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2021 :  14:50:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Probably should have been Ag, not Ar.

Yeah, I did look up the symbol for silver. So, would you say I'm on the right road here with that thinking (i.e. that the site of the adamantine seal / citadel of conjurers may be another "link" in this portal network in addition to having a demoncyst there... which may hint that demoncysts have ties to this portal network.... which leads me back to the demoncyst where the athora is)?

So, in that concept, might we "assume" that the site where the adamantine seal was laid might be named "Garuut-Ad" (with me making up a "batrachi metal symbol name" for adamantine of Ad)

Also, the "pyramid" on Sorcerer's isle is "silvery".... might this lead us to believe that there's a "pyramid" that's "coppery" beneath Castle Perilous, a "pyramid" that's "golden" beneath Ironfang Keep, and a "pyramid" that's "black as adamantine" beneath the Citadel of Conjurers / "Garuut-Ad"?

Next, the "athora" that was originally found was a "twisted mass of black metal"..... which MIGHT look like adamantine to some mind you, but I'm not going there.... might the sarrukh or batrachi have created a "pyramid" shape for the Athora metal that's now deep beneath Thaymount? If so, what's the name of this portion of the Garuut-Omrum? Might it be something like "Garuut-Athor"?

Finally, might this portal network also be linked into some other famous pits and portals .... for instance

Dun-Tharos/Narathmault

Athamault (the iron pit) -- and might this be Garuut-Fe

The Pit of Maleficence in Peleverai in the Shaar

The portal in the Shaar for the city of Shandaular

the portal in the ruins of Ashanath for the city of Shandaular (and might this have been the site of the now famous orcgate)

possibly something beneath "The Hill of Seven Lost Gods" in Westgate

possibly buried beneath the waters of Lake Halarahh (spelling?) in Halruaa

possibly even as far reaching as far as the valley of Nexal in Maztica?

Anyone else think of any other special "pyramids" in the lore?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2021 :  11:47:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure a link exists here, at least not a direct link.

Eltabs imprisonment was secretly driven by Fraz urb lu who provided information allowing Eltab to be imprisoned on the material plane (possibly involving changing part of Toril to include some demonic taint).

Orcus is attempting to enter the material plane through a portal. I imagine it has to be a special type of portal because planar archetypes rarely venture to the material plane (Calim, Memnon, Eltab are all I can think of) and whenever it occurs it is catastrophic.

Now it is likely Eltab was drawn or compelled to enter Toril before being bound. It may be that all portal magic and technology of the power needed to allow an archetype through is derived from a single source, but that is independent of the magic needed to bind an archetype.

If you separate the portals from the binding there may be links within each group, but probably not between groups.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2021 :  21:55:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure a link exists here, at least not a direct link.

Eltabs imprisonment was secretly driven by Fraz urb lu who provided information allowing Eltab to be imprisoned on the material plane (possibly involving changing part of Toril to include some demonic taint).

Orcus is attempting to enter the material plane through a portal. I imagine it has to be a special type of portal because planar archetypes rarely venture to the material plane (Calim, Memnon, Eltab are all I can think of) and whenever it occurs it is catastrophic.

Now it is likely Eltab was drawn or compelled to enter Toril before being bound. It may be that all portal magic and technology of the power needed to allow an archetype through is derived from a single source, but that is independent of the magic needed to bind an archetype.

If you separate the portals from the binding there may be links within each group, but probably not between groups.

I'm not saying that ALL of those are linked (but they could be midn you). I'm just throwing out options.... and wondering if Eric will bite. You gotta make the cricket wriggle on the hook to get the attention.

That being said, yes, it does appear the Fraz was involved with Eltab being trapped. At the same time, Orcus was involved with Narfell, Orcus knows about this odd network of portals, and the people of Narfell were involved with several of these areas that seemed to have links to portals (for instance, Dun-Tharos was Narathmault.... and Narathmault had a reputation before the drow got there imprisoning demons). In addition, the idea of demoncysts as "spread out all over" kind of screams that somehow his plane got "hooked into" some spread out network of portals. Basically, I very much could definitely see this network of portals being a part of the citadel of conjurers and dun-tharos at minimum, and the area where thaymount exists as well. Now the others... they're options... let's see if we get any kind of a bite (shakes the bait.... shakes the bait.... here fishie fishie fishie... shakes the bait).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Aug 2021 21:58:01
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  15:47:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do I smell a wriggling Realmsworm? ;-)

So I like all of Sleyvas's ideas and they would be cool to run with.

However, The Moonsea talks about there being three structures (which I interpreted to mean three portals, as well) in specific in a triangle, so I would be inclined to leave the number at 3.

"Certain sages say that the builders of Ironfang Keep and the Sorcerers' Isle are one and the same. They go on to speculate that both structures are power points of a triangle, but the third point has been hidden. They claim the third point either goes downward into the elven forests of Cormanthor or upward into Vaasa. No one has ever been able to prove this theory, and personally, I think it is a bit far-fetched."

That said, I could imagine other tripartite portal combinations created by the batrachi.

I also wonder if there is a secondary portal set created much later by Orcus that manifests in the form of mercury pools. Maybe he is "bleeding" off the power of the batrachi portal triptych to sustain the mercury pool portals.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 21 Aug 2021 15:50:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2021 :  16:15:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, wriggling bait works!

Thinking on what you just noted... I think that's a great idea to have multiple tripartite portals that then someone else has begun to link them (either by putting secondary drops in the same location, or modifying the existing magic). Another such might be Dun-Tharos, Dun-Orthass (citadel of conjurers/adamantine seal site), and another spot (maybe thaymount's demoncyst... though that would be in Raumathar's territory).... maybe we find out there's a link in Nergal's tomb of the Great Barrow or the mulan renegade city of Pholzubbalt (the boneyard).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Aug 2021 16:22:22
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2021 :  20:30:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, but if Orcus created the "mercurial" portals by bleeding off energy from Garuut-Cu, how / why did he manage to manifest one beneath the Mines of Bloodstone.

It would either be a massive gamble that just such a portal could be accurately called wherever desired (although i suspect the duergar helped locate the portal and Zhengyi did the hard work), or it is part of some awesome super weapon where Orcus (through Zhengyi) can place an awesome super weapon that possesses any that touch it and transform them into an aspect of Orcus.

I'm also guessing that perhaps Zhengyi is gradually bleeding the energy and it takes time to build up enough to fully open a true portal to allow Orcus complete access to walk right into the material plane.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2021 :  20:46:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a complete other tangent.

The city of Heliogabalus is defended only by mercenaries, no army.

Now i'm assuming this arrangement is historical and not just because Dimian Ree (who ruled Heliogabalus at the time the statement was written) was rich and probably didnt trust local Damarans.

Such quirks usually have a reason for existing due to past events, so i'm wondering what caused the people of Damara or the Royal House of Bloodfeathers to decide that Heliogabalus should have only mercenaries in defence of the capital city.

Initially Heliogabalus was a sacred meeting place of Surennar tribes in the west (the more moderate and tolerant tribes seem located in the west), much like Bildobaris in the east. It could be some ancient Nar custom that means standing military forces are not allowed on a permanent basis.

Feldrin Bloodfeathers had to defeat the Nar tribes with an army, most of whom were mercenaries. It could be that only mercenaries defend Heliogabalus out of tradition for Feldrin's founding of Damara.

Or it could be something more.

Hobgoblins attacked Damara in 1095 DR and occupy large parts of its eastern lands. The King of Damara spent a year in exile in Impiltur (after losing a major battle against the hobgoblins and fleeing for his life). He returns at the head of an army of mercenaries and landless knights from Impiltur.

It could be that the city of Heliogabalus did not welcome this king with open arms (because he lost a major battle and fled in defeat, leaving Heliogabalus to the hobgoblins) and perhaps the King had to attack his own city or bargain his way in, granting certain concessions to the merchants (similar to the barons revolts in England).

So the King if allowed to take up his position again in return for reduced taxes on merchants, and perhaps the merchants having a council to allow them to block crown laws affecting the merchants and Heliogabalus, and also the King is not allowed to ever have an army in Heliogabalus ever again (only mercenaries, which of course can be bribed).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2021 :  18:18:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a thought, but if Orcus created the "mercurial" portals by bleeding off energy from Garuut-Cu, how / why did he manage to manifest one beneath the Mines of Bloodstone.

It would either be a massive gamble that just such a portal could be accurately called wherever desired (although i suspect the duergar helped locate the portal and Zhengyi did the hard work), or it is part of some awesome super weapon where Orcus (through Zhengyi) can place an awesome super weapon that possesses any that touch it and transform them into an aspect of Orcus.

I'm also guessing that perhaps Zhengyi is gradually bleeding the energy and it takes time to build up enough to fully open a true portal to allow Orcus complete access to walk right into the material plane.

Hmmm, playing with my idea from before.... the mines of bloodstone might have "the ancient bloodstone seal".... um... Garuut-Heliot.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2021 :  21:31:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted Tightpurse existed before Damara, came up with a backstory that fits in with some other ancient history while also working its foundings into events that shape the laws and quirks of Damara

Tightpurse: The Tightpurse thieves guild claims to have origins older than the Kingdom of Damara itself. When the Six merchant houses that came to exploit the mineral wealth of Vaasa and Damara turned on one another, the House of Sarplynd was almost annihilated and ended up expelled from Faernor's Pact. While most of the Sarplyndar retreated to their holdings in the Vast, one vicious bastard born son of House Sarplynd remained to command the remnants of the Sarplyndar mercenary forces.

Known as Steelsuit for his harsh and unyielding nature, the Sarplyndar mercenaries turned to brigandage, preying upon the mining operations and caravans operating in Damara. They quickly became known as the Heralds of Destruction for their habit of taking no prisoners and burning all buildings and other assets (and taking all the money and goods).

Steelsuit and the Heralds of Destruction were a thorn in King Feldrin's side for many years, however, in 1087 DR the Heralds were finally cornered and slain in their hideout in what is now known as the Duchy of Brandiar. The now ageing Steelsuit survived and infiltrated Heliogabalus, trying to foment unrest against the King. Before Steelsuit's plans could bear fruit a hobgoblin horde assailed the Kingdom of Damara in 1095 DR, King Feldrin was incapacitated in battle, his son and successor was driven into exile by the same horde later that year.

Steelsuit spent a whole year organising the merchants of Heliogabalus to muster a defence and succeeded in fighting off 3 attempted sacks of the city, all while building resentment of the Crown among the merchants and mercenary forces. When King Keldrin returned in 1096 DR, after ousting the remaining goblinoid forces from the fields of Polten, he was not welcomed into the city with open arms, instead Steelsuit and the merchants negotiated a number of concessions from the King which became known as the Bloody Code and form the basis of Damara's legal code. 

King Keldrin signed the Trade Concessions and enshrined in law a number of protected rights for merchants, their property, and their wealth, as well as agreeing that no King of Damara would ever lead an army to the gates of Heliogabalus ever again. The signing merchants became the first of Damara's Merchant Guilds, including Steelsuit himself (now known as Tightpurse for his miserly ways) who had grown very rich trading in mercenary services.

Steelsuit's success was not to last, within a tenday of the signing of the Trade Concessions he was betrayed by a number of the Merchant Guilds, who gave his identity to the Crown as the instigator of the rebellion. Steelsuit was executed for his treasonous activities (both past and present), and his assets seized, but the Tightpurse guild survived (and still has the original charter, making them an official Crown recognised guild).

Tightpurse today operates as an underground organisation that controls the majority of blackmarket trade in Damara, and contributes to much of the criminal activity as a result. Since its inception Tightpurse has attracted (and actively recruited) opponents of the Crown, those exiled or wanted for treason, seeking to use their infamy and connections while remaining careful to never openly move against the Crown or support those that do. It is only in the aftermath of the War of Bloodied Houses that Tightpurse has allied itself with the insurgent Citadel of Assassins.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page