Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Quality of Work
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2016 :  15:14:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm sure the vast majority of the stuff being uploaded to the DM's Guild is quality work, but I just downloaded the free "Al-Qadim Classes and Backgrounds" file and most of it was plagiarized material from previously published Al-Qadim sourcebooks.

Sigh.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2016 :  16:52:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I'm sure the vast majority of the stuff being uploaded to the DM's Guild is quality work, but I just downloaded the free "Al-Qadim Classes and Backgrounds" file and most of it was plagiarized material from previously published Al-Qadim sourcebooks.

Sigh.

That's part of why I've only downloaded a handful of things from there. Any setup like that, without integrated quality control, is going to have a lot of chaff and not so much wheat... On the flipside, though, even the poorest material may still have that one thing someone needs to get an idea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2016 :  18:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I pretty much use the same standard I use for eBay sellers. If a document/seller has very few ratings, fewer than 3 stars/90th percentile, and is by someone I don't know, I leave it alone. Even if it's free, it's probably not worth my time. Except character sheets. I'm always on the hunt for the perfect character sheet. I found one for 3e, just not 5e... yet.
As for allowing DM's Guild Content at my table, I just allow it on a case by case basis. My player's know I'm a fairly "official supplements only, unless it's by someone I trust" kind of person, so I don't get flooded with requests for broken content. At least, not seriously. I still get requests for that bag of holding/portable hole arrow now and then.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  06:28:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One problem is that if you select "Setting:
Forgotten Realms", there's all the random junk, including things that have nothing to do with FR and/or furry stuff.

And those that do... here's one: "Occult Slayer"
"Focusing on countering magic, and the creatures who use it. It is designed for Rasheman area of Faerun. It can be easly used for any setting or region."
It's one of the paid ones. Of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  13:54:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, my big thing so far is I see people submitting "single" entries. Which is good if you have a really good idea that you've tested. However, I'm betting most people (myself included) will be trying to play with the rules and testing the waters for balance and looking for feedback. I don't exactly have the means for playtesting, since I'm now a player again (YES!!!! not the DM, gives me free time to play with stuff like this), and we only meet about once every 3 or 4 weeks.

Along those lines, my idea will be aimed towards spellcasters and include new magic items, new magic rituals, new feats, and I may try my hand at adapting a couple old prestige classes since they've added latch on rules for that as well via unearthed arcana. I may also try creating some new bard colleges, divine domains, arcane traditions, druid circles, sorcerous origins, but that may be something for a later product, etc.... I'd love to adapt a lot of the more iconic old spells to 5e as well (which along those lines, what spells come to your mind as screaming realms original spells).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  14:17:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal wondering is what do people regard as part of a "quality" piece of work.

How important are things like :

- artwork
- maps
- references
- annotations

Likewise do people only regard things as quality if they slavishly follow canon, in which case references are important and you end up with a repeat or compilation of existing published works. Or do people just want something that meshes well with existing canon in a plug and play sort of way (requiring very little tinkering to be useful).
If something is created new is it more important that the idea be developed fully and be consistent and work well with the work around it or would it be better for it to be a rewording of already published sources.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  15:10:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

My personal wondering is what do people regard as part of a "quality" piece of work.

- artwork
- maps
- references
- annotations

Likewise do people only regard things as quality if they slavishly follow canon, in which case references are important and you end up with a repeat or compilation of existing published works. Or do people just want something that meshes well with existing canon in a plug and play sort of way (requiring very little tinkering to be useful).
If something is created new is it more important that the idea be developed fully and be consistent and work well with the work around it or would it be better for it to be a rewording of already published sources.

I'm sure everyone has different things they are looking for regarding the quality of these articles. The one I found was completely plagiarized which is inexcusable. Thankfully it was free, otherwise I would have been a little pissed.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  15:50:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was fair enough then, I never plagiarise (what's the point) but I do borrow inspiration and ideas heavily from other sources, even a single line can produce pages of work as I develop them to the extreme.

Inevitably though I find it difficult to provide references for where I get ideas from because the idea is developed and the development becomes part of a greater work that then links in with other developments.
But if references are an indicator of quality to most then I need to figure out a way.

Obviously one cannot control the style of prose or the quality of punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure (at least not without outside help or more schooling) but there are other things that can be done to improve quality. For instance what about layout, line and paragraph spacing, and font, are there any that are preferred or should be avoided. Is multiple columns important to avoid wall of text. Should text boxes be used often or sparingly.

Obviously if I were a professional and had an editor this wouldn't be a problem but as an amateur I guess I have to ask the audience (or phone a friend).

So anyone care to explain what means quality to them both in terms of realms lore and in a more literary sense.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  17:42:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, quality of lore means building on and integrating with existing lore, and not just including a passing reference or two to the Realms. If I may toot my own horn, look at my livegolems article from a couple years back -- I put a lot of effort into giving them a background that was rooted in existing lore, and I also used the formerly-suppressed work () Volo's Guide to All Things Magical to make sure some of the materials used in their creation matched existing lore on magical properties inherent in the materials. Compare that to some of the Perilous Locations articles from several years back -- a series of free web articles from WotC. Some of them were designated as specific to a setting, and in some cases, it was obvious they'd been written with that setting in mind. In other cases, it was equally obvious the setting had been tacked on after the fact. The Twilight Tomb module also felt to me like it was dropped into the Realms after the fact -- I got more of a sci-fi feel from it, myself.

For the presentation, obviously good art and layout are good to have, but the biggest thing for me is making sure there aren't formatting errors and typos. Things that could be caught on a simple Word spellcheck are particularly unforgivable -- like the repeated references to the month of "Ukta" in the 3E Player's Guide to Faerūn or my first TSR typo, in the novel Stormblade - "Tyorl shurgged."

Obviously, typos happen, and a spellcheck is going to have all sorts of issues with most fantasy and sci-fi stuff. But spellcheck can be programmed to recognize certain words, like Uktar, so Ukta should have been caught. And you can't even use that excuse for "shurgged."

I've seen some horrible formatting mistakes, too, even in published Realms material. Places where the page breaks don't match page layout, missing text, and something I saw kinda recently that almost caused physical pain: hyphenating a contraction. I don't recall the exact word in question, but it was "Couldn't" or something like that -- they hyphenated the word, rather than breaking it back to "could not" and thus avoiding that horrible offense against the English language.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Feb 2016 17:45:56
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  19:55:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sure like most people I cant do anything about artwork. I'm not an artist (digital or otherwise) I don't know any artists I cant afford to pay for an artist. So anything I do will be artwork free and hopefully it wont get marked down too much (hopefully the stock art on DM Guild we be expanded dramatically).

Spell checking is a good idea although how one deals with multiple spellings of the same word (Eleasias and Deneir spring to mind).

I'm with you on the lore thing though. Research pays in my book and I often spend several months gathering every quote I can find before writing a single word. Still sometimes you do have to contradict canon.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  00:45:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

- artwork
- maps
- references
- annotations

I'm sure everyone has different things they are looking for regarding the quality of these articles. The one I found was completely plagiarized which is inexcusable. Thankfully it was free, otherwise I would have been a little pissed.

yeah, I downloaded one called the demonologist. It was basically a reference to an unearthed arcana article which held several summoning spells for demons. The only thing new was an alternate arcane tradition which was ok. Guess I'm just expecting more than I should.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  01:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really enjoying the "Pay What You Want" option. I download these items for $0 to begin with. If it is not plagiarized material or pure nonsense, I go back and spend $1-2. If it is something truly excptional I put up a lot more.

I honestly haven't found it too hard to filter through the garbage, it's easy to ignore.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Feb 2016 01:21:27
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  23:34:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I am really enjoying the "Pay What You Want" option. I download these items for $0 to begin with. If it is not plagiarized material or pure nonsense, I go back and spend $1-2. If it is something truly excptional I put up a lot more.

I honestly haven't found it too hard to filter through the garbage, it's easy to ignore.

That's actually a good idea. I was throwing 50 cents or 25 cents at things just to see what they had. Honestly, on what I got so far, I think that was fair pay, since a lot of these would have been a one or two page article in dragon mag, that I would have paid say $4 for in the past, and the mag would have had a dozen or so articles to read. However, the Impiltur History by George, had it been something that he hadn't already freely shared, if I'd seen it for the first time there, I'd have gladly paid $5 to someone who put that much effort in..... even if I had no real plans to use it for anything more than reading material.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000