Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need Help on an Adventure in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lazer Z
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2016 :  15:26:01  Show Profile Send Lazer Z a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello. My campaign is not set in the Forgotten Realms normally, however recently my players have been doing a lot of planeswalking lately. They have been told about a dungeon in a swamp somewhere on Toril. That's all I know so far. I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where on Toril to place the dungeon and as to the contents of it. I'd like to try to do something somewhat unique to the Forgotten Realms if I can. The Forgotten Realms are in the Year of the Prince at the time my campaign takes place.

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2016 :  15:37:34  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lazer Z

Hello. My campaign is not set in the Forgotten Realms normally, however recently my players have been doing a lot of planeswalking lately. They have been told about a dungeon in a swamp somewhere on Toril. That's all I know so far. I am wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where on Toril to place the dungeon and as to the contents of it. I'd like to try to do something somewhat unique to the Forgotten Realms if I can. The Forgotten Realms are in the Year of the Prince at the time my campaign takes place.

Hello, welcome. Depending on what this dungeon is, the Mere of Dead Men is always my favorite. It's pretty unique.
Go to Top of Page

Lazer Z
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2016 :  23:47:27  Show Profile Send Lazer Z a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Mere of Dead Men had occurred to me as a possibility. I am not certain what kind of dungeon I wanted to use, but the character's main mission is to obtain a treasure found there.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  00:00:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any particular objective, other than coming to the Realms? If you've a specific goal or item in mind, it could help narrow things down.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  01:05:41  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Mere of Dead Men had occurred to me as a possibility. I am not certain what kind of dungeon I wanted to use, but the character's main mission is to obtain a treasure found there.

I can't think of a swamp more unique at the moment. It has submerged mansions, an ancient black dragon, probably a lich, lizard man tribes, giant slug riding bullywugs, bog blokes, I mean what else could a DM want in a swamp?
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  01:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not a bad place to start at all. You might look into the Mere of Dead Men series of adventures in the old Dungeon magazine.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  02:19:08  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the Mere of Dead Men recommendation, and the adventure series from Dungeons 69-74 would be a great resource.

Alternatively, you could plop them in the Vast Swamp and use the adventure, Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, which would have them visiting the plane of Shadow as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Cormyr-Dungeons-Roleplaying-Forgotten-Supplement/dp/0786941197

Although the adventure begins in Cormyr, you could have them enter the story in the Vast Swamp, perhaps saving the remnants of an adventuring band that had begun the adventure, but are now too weak to continue.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Lazer Z
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  18:43:05  Show Profile Send Lazer Z a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will take a look at those adventures in Dungeon, they may be what I need. Thank you all for your input.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2016 :  18:17:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

players have been doing a lot of planeswalking lately. They have been told about a dungeon in a swamp somewhere on Toril.

The Spider Swamp?
It has advantage of having lots of good neighbours - Calishite wizards (potentially planewalking), paranoid Aranea, runaway driders, drow incursions now and then, and maybe some ambitious marid searching some or other artifact in the sea ruins nearby. Fun.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Lazer Z
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  00:24:20  Show Profile Send Lazer Z a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked the Mere of Dead Men adventures. They may require some work to fit my needs, since they seem to be more "heroic" than I wanted. It doesn't necessarily disqualify them, but they might need some work. The PCs primary goal, as I said before, is to obtain a treasure, therefore whatever adventure I use will require sufficient rewards.

Another concern is getting the PCs to Faerun in the first place. I'll need to figure out where the portal comes from and leads to and what might be guarding it.

Edited by - Lazer Z on 29 Jan 2016 00:41:44
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  12:30:56  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I checked the Mere of Dead Men adventures. They may require some work to fit my needs, since they seem to be more "heroic" than I wanted. It doesn't necessarily disqualify them, but they might need some work. The PCs primary goal, as I said before, is to obtain a treasure, therefore whatever adventure I use will require sufficient rewards.

Another concern is getting the PCs to Faerun in the first place. I'll need to figure out where the portal comes from and leads to and what might be guarding it.

There's not shortage of portals in the Realms that's for sure. Skullport is a natural choice, as is Undermountain. There are portals in Ardeep Forest as well. All are fairly close to the Mere. I'm sure there are ancient portals in the Mere left over from the old empire of Ilusk.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  18:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

There's not shortage of portals in the Realms that's for sure. Skullport is a natural choice, as is Undermountain. There are portals in Ardeep Forest as well. All are fairly close to the Mere. I'm sure there are ancient portals in the Mere left over from the old empire of Ilusk.

I'm just going by memory, but there was, I believe, an extra-planar portal mentioned back in the FR5 The Savage North.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  19:00:29  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See page 44 of Dragons of Faerun for details on the two black dragons the live in the Mere.
Go to Top of Page

Lazer Z
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2016 :  20:06:01  Show Profile Send Lazer Z a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

I second the Mere of Dead Men recommendation, and the adventure series from Dungeons 69-74 would be a great resource.

Alternatively, you could plop them in the Vast Swamp and use the adventure, Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, which would have them visiting the plane of Shadow as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Cormyr-Dungeons-Roleplaying-Forgotten-Supplement/dp/0786941197

Although the adventure begins in Cormyr, you could have them enter the story in the Vast Swamp, perhaps saving the remnants of an adventuring band that had begun the adventure, but are now too weak to continue.

There's no way I'm going to run the whole adventure as written (for one thing it takes place seventeen years later than my campaign, but maybe I can use part of it. I might check it out, though I am loathe to spend $15 on an adventure I might only use part of, if that. Could you describe the parts of the adventure that take place in the swamp?

Another thing I thought of is taking an adventure not set in a swamp, possibily not even in the Realms at all (or maybe in a swamp, but not normally set in the Realms) and adapt it to my purposes. In any case I'd like to have some references to Realmslore.

Edited by - Lazer Z on 08 Feb 2016 20:11:13
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2016 :  18:09:11  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's no way I'm going to run the whole adventure as written (for one thing it takes place seventeen years later than my campaign, but maybe I can use part of it. I might check it out, though I am loathe to spend $15 on an adventure I might only use part of, if that. Could you describe the parts of the adventure that take place in the swamp?

I haven't run it myself and it's been sometime since I perused it. You can find a brief description here, and a review here. That might help you decide if you want to use it. If it helps, the book is 150 pages, and the part leading up to the swamp takes up just 38 of those.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000