Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Before I read..
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zoomings
Acolyte

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  03:06:25  Show Profile Send Zoomings a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys. I'm sorry I'm making so many threads but I just have so many questions about the series. Here's my last one for awhile, it's pretty important. All I've read are the first 6 books in the Drizzt series. Those are the only books I've read in the forgotten realms franchise. Now I have a question. I want to branch out into even books and the Darkwalker on Moonshae trilogy. BUT, before I read any other books, is there any books I should read to get a feel for the realms, the gods, the main people, geography? Any books I should read before I start reading random books that suit me? If so, please leave them here. Thank you so much guys, really.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  03:58:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best way to get a real feel for the setting is to read Azure Bonds by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, and Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham. Both books are the start of a series, but you'll not get a better feel for the Realms from anyone else, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  14:23:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonshae Trilogy feels a little separated from the rest of the realms, so you should be able to jump right in on that one.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  22:48:04  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zoomings

Hey guys. I'm sorry I'm making so many threads but I just have so many questions about the series. Here's my last one for awhile, it's pretty important. All I've read are the first 6 books in the Drizzt series. Those are the only books I've read in the forgotten realms franchise. Now I have a question. I want to branch out into even books and the Darkwalker on Moonshae trilogy. BUT, before I read any other books, is there any books I should read to get a feel for the realms, the gods, the main people, geography? Any books I should read before I start reading random books that suit me? If so, please leave them here. Thank you so much guys, really.

Personally I would read the short story books to get a real dose of the diversity of the Realms. All the short story books refer to characters from pretty much all the Realms trilogies, including characters from Elfshadow, Moonshaes, etc.

Think of them as appetizer trays and from there you can go where suits you for the full books

Realms of Valor, Realms of Mystery, Realms of Infamy, Realms of Magic, Realms of the Underdark, Realms of the Arcane.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  06:41:37  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there should be Sticky thread for this, because many many many people are asking this. Mayby with interval of 1-3months... :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000