Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

gylippus
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  00:01:03  Show Profile Send gylippus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Regarding the Night Parade btw, so far there have been no less than 3 creatures in this novel that I have absolutely no idea what they are. Once I finish the novel, would this be the place to post questions about what they are? I thought I knew every D&D monster, but these 3 so far have left me clueless.

Are you referring to the Night Parade creatures themselves? Such as Lord Sixx and Imperator Zeal? I was under the impression all of these creatures were from an alternate world that was dying so they had to go to Faerun. They can't have children so they kidnap children and transform them into the Night Parade with the apparatus. I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  09:31:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gylippus

I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.

Realms Bestiary Volume II by the esteemed Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa has a write-up for the hordlings including tables for random generations and all the relevant references.

It should be available on this website somewhere after the authors agreed to make it available the last few days (I hope one of the Mods will pass by and get you the link or correct me if I'm wrong).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  18:06:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:

I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.

Realms Bestiary Volume II by the esteemed Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa has a write-up for the hordlings including tables for random generations and all the relevant references.

It should be available on this website somewhere after the authors agreed to make it available the last few days (I hope one of the Mods will pass by and get you the link or correct me if I'm wrong).

I sent the files to Big Al last night, so I'd expect him to have them on the main site in the next day or two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2019 :  19:33:36  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Varl
Are you referring to the Night Parade creatures themselves? Such as Lord Sixx and Imperator Zeal? I was under the impression all of these creatures were from an alternate world that was dying so they had to go to Faerun. They can't have children so they kidnap children and transform them into the Night Parade with the apparatus. I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.

I know I've never heard of them the way they were described. I mean, some of these creatures seem to me to be straight from the Pit. The "children fly" things in Lhal's childhood home, the giant aberration that spawned them, Pieraccinni the informant from Calimport, that one creature that looked like a woman with hands all over its body (including its eye sockets!) that detach and attack targets, etc.

Some truly disgusting and horrific things! I look forward to the Realms Bestiary Volume II.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  02:22:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Varl

I know I've never heard of them the way they were described. I mean, some of these creatures seem to me to be straight from the Pit. The "children fly" things in Lhal's childhood home, the giant aberration that spawned them, Pieraccinni the informant from Calimport, that one creature that looked like a woman with hands all over its body (including its eye sockets!) that detach and attack targets, etc.

Some truly disgusting and horrific things! I look forward to the Realms Bestiary Volume II.

It's up. Big Al posted them the other day. See the What's New section of the main site.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2019 :  03:10:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, continuing to distract myself from my first foray into Realms fiction in a while...

I recently finished a book called Webley and the World Machine. Kinda steampunkish, and though it wasn't described as such, it felt like a Young Adult novel. While I'm not adverse to reading YA stuff, it's generally not my thing. And my YA assessment of this book could be wrong, but either way, the book just didn't work for me. Some nifty concepts, but the execution could have used some work.

Now I'm reading one called Not the Way the Smart Money Bets. It's an ebook, and though I've got a small library of ebooks, I generally forget they exist and reach for dead tree format, instead. But that wasn't an option, with this one... I got it for three reasons: It's pre-Jihad BattleTech (before the Fourth Succession War, even!), it's by Michael Stackpole (my fave BTech author and a fave, in general), and it's about the Kell Hounds, one of my fave military units in BattleTech.

I am, of course, enjoying this one, and it's nice to be reading new BattleTech fiction, as well. I was a huge BattleTech fan right up until they inflicted the Jihad on the setting -- and I hatehateHATE the Jihad so much it pushed me away from the setting. So having my fave BTech author revisit one of my fave units, at a time before the setting was ruined, is a wonderful thing.

I still would love to see Stackpole actually do the story of the Red Corsair, though. It's mentioned so oft in Kell Hounds stuff; it's a shame to not get to read the tale in full.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Mar 2019 03:12:10
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  03:56:22  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been reading through WoT still, taking more breaks with books in between, including the Halo novel Silent Storm, which was not bad! Felt like the game, which I think is a good thing there. I'm currently on Crown of Swords and the finale for the Lord of Chaos was just insane. This series is pretty incredible. Looking forward to making it through to the end to see what ends up happening, although I'm sure I will be bummed when I finish it as well.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  04:04:09  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WoT is epic. Slow at times, but epic.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  18:43:06  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's already had some slow points, and some epic points, but the slow points are totally worth slogging through for the epic ones. At least so far, and from what I've heard it's worth making it to the end as well!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  18:54:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely worth reading the whole thing. I started reading them when I was 12. The 9th one had recently come out in paperback, so I bought all 9 while on vacation in Hawaii lol. Then came the long hiatus when Jordan was in poor health, and eventually passed, before Sanderson took them out. You don't have to wait lol.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  20:41:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Now I'm reading one called Not the Way the Smart Money Bets. It's an ebook, and though I've got a small library of ebooks, I generally forget they exist and reach for dead tree format, instead. But that wasn't an option, with this one... I got it for three reasons: It's pre-Jihad BattleTech (before the Fourth Succession War, even!), it's by Michael Stackpole (my fave BTech author and a fave, in general), and it's about the Kell Hounds, one of my fave military units in BattleTech.

I am, of course, enjoying this one, and it's nice to be reading new BattleTech fiction, as well. I was a huge BattleTech fan right up until they inflicted the Jihad on the setting -- and I hatehateHATE the Jihad so much it pushed me away from the setting. So having my fave BTech author revisit one of my fave units, at a time before the setting was ruined, is a wonderful thing.

I still would love to see Stackpole actually do the story of the Red Corsair, though. It's mentioned so oft in Kell Hounds stuff; it's a shame to not get to read the tale in full.

I will be finishing the third of these books this eve, and I've already decided that I need to read the Warrior trilogy next. Same author, same focus on the Kell Hounds, but it's about 15 years later -- just in time for the Fourth Succession War.

After that, I am likely to continue into the Blood of Kerensky books. It's been a while since I read those... I'm not even sure I own print copies of them, now, because my original copies were destroyed in the fire, and I've only replaced a portion of the BattleTech novelage I once had.

I discovered a lot of those old titles are available as eBooks, though, so I may forego my usual preference for dead tree format and go the ebook route -- a lot of those books were long out of print when I lost them in the fire, and that was a while ago.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  03:08:54  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finally finished The Night Parade. Good story, and it gave me a new appreciation for hordlings as well as a new villainous group for my game.

Next up: The Ring of Winter.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  03:48:54  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been reading several books at once, as usual. Just finished Wicked Saints by Emily Duncan. It was awesome. Reminded me of the Grishaverse books. Now I have started The Devouring Gray by Christine Lee Herman.

Also reading The Silvan Chronicles on my Kindle, which I was drawn to because it was about elves. But...it's not very well written, and character development is mediocre. And I am finally reading Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (on book 2). It's good; I like the concept of using colors. But I liked his Night Angel trilogy better, at least so far.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  04:36:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I will be finishing the third of these books this eve, and I've already decided that I need to read the Warrior trilogy next. Same author, same focus on the Kell Hounds, but it's about 15 years later -- just in time for the Fourth Succession War.

After that, I am likely to continue into the Blood of Kerensky books. It's been a while since I read those... I'm not even sure I own print copies of them, now, because my original copies were destroyed in the fire, and I've only replaced a portion of the BattleTech novelage I once had.

I discovered a lot of those old titles are available as eBooks, though, so I may forego my usual preference for dead tree format and go the ebook route -- a lot of those books were long out of print when I lost them in the fire, and that was a while ago.

I finished the Warrior trilogy and read a book called Uncharted. I was looking forward to that one -- but it just didn't grab me as much as I hoped.

Now I'm reading 14, and will next read the kinda-sorta sequel The Fold. After that, I'm not sure... I recently saw the Amber books in an omnibus volume; I am considering getting that and reading it.

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2019 :  16:42:01  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently finished Mithras Court by David A. Page. I was a huge Ravenloft fan back in the day, so imagine my surprise when I found out there were 2 novels I didn't already have in my collection! Apparently the book line had been (semi)resurrected by WoTC. But rather than take place in the traditional domains like Barovia, Darkon, Dementlieu, etc. - this set of books pulls characters from our own world into the "Demiplane of Dread." Yes, the ever-present Mists and other such conventions (like the Vistani) are still present. This book is set in Victorian era London, which happens to be one of my favorite real-world ages/locations from an aesthetic and storytelling angle. It focuses on a former British soldier seeking revenge on the serial killer who murdered his wife. He rides the trains every night hoping to come across the killer, who has a distinctive serpent tattoo on his wrist. Eventually he is brought into a pocket realm, a small district of London that was "annexed" into Ravenloft some 30 years ago, cutting off the local populace.

The dialogue and juicy bits of history were exquisitely done, which makes sense being that the author has a history degree. This book is nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price. I ended up tracking down the author and buying a copy directly from him. We chatted a bit about several things, including the original plan for a Ravenloft re-launch of 7 or more novels. WotC ended up cancelling it after just 2 books, and destroying all remaining inventory, making this book, as well as Samantha Henderson's Heaven's Bones, somewhat difficult to acquire.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was wonderful to get another Ravenloft story, so many years removed from what I thought was the end of the line. With a little adaptation, the bones of this story could make for a great Twilight Zone episode. It ended up being well worth the effort it took to track down a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2019 :  02:10:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I've not posted my own readings in this thread in a while... I'm not even going to try to list everything I'd read since my last post here; I read quickly and make a point of incorporating reading time into my day, so the "52 books in a year" challenge isn't so much of a challenge for me.

Most recently, I read V. E. Schwab's Shades of Magic trilogy, which I really, really enjoyed. I then read Zeus is Undead [This One has Zombies!]. I didn't find it quite as good as the previous book, Zeus is Dead, but it was still hilarious.

Next up was one I'd had for a while but kept avoiding: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. I wound up loving the book.

Right now, I'm working on an old favorite: A Hero Born. A month or two ago, I had some cause to go into the library before doing the usual Pokémon Go Community Day thing (my local library is the best place in the area to do those!), and found a copy of that book in a book sale -- and it was in better shape than my copy that I'd picked up after the fire, so I jumped on it.

Not really sure what I'm going to read next. Been thinking about revising the Finder's Stone and Lost Gods books, but I'm not sure on that one.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2019 :  14:13:46  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Maestro, by R.A. Salvatore. For the non-fantasy category, also reading Lost Illusions, by Honoré de Balzac. Both recommended!

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  00:08:25  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started Brimstone angels, by Erin M. Evans. A very good writing and storytelling!

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  00:49:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't posted what I am reading here in a while, either. I also make a point of reading everyday, and I tend to go through books. Last year I read a 105 books. I am at 43 so far this year (I have been a little busier, but I do make time to read).

I finally read the Nethril trilogy. I don't know why it took me so long. Tbh, it wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting to read about Karsus and how he became insane, but it wasn't even really about him, except as a secondary character. In some ways that is good, as it prevented me from getting attached lol, but I felt the overall characters and plot wws... subpar. I don't know, I guess I just expected something different, after all I have heard about Nethril (not to mention the return of Shade Enclave).

Anyway, I also won't detail all the books I have read since my last update, either. Along with fantasy, which is a given for me, I have been reading some really interesting nonfiction books on Japan. Currently, I am reading Engaging in Japanese Philosophy by Thomas P. Kasulis.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 28 Jul 2019 00:52:36
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  00:50:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Grafalcon

Started Brimstone angels, by Erin M. Evans. A very good writing and storytelling!

Brimstone Angels was great.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  03:43:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished a BattleTech eBook, Iron Dawn. Not great, not bad. It's set in 3150, but has the same feel as the original, pre-Jihad stuff, so that was a huge plus. What was a little odd, for me, was the premise of a bunch of planetary nobles sponsoring kids -- even orphans from other worlds -- and sending them to a military academy. And not just that, but regularly having them over for "family dinners" and such. Sure, it's been 100 years since the stuff I'm more familiar with, and certainly, not all worlds will be run the same, but that was still an odd note.

Also odd was a Combine unit deciding to go rogue and make their own little fiefdom, carving it out of the Federated Suns.

Now I'm reading a Shadowrun novel, Shadows Down Under. I really liked the Shadowrun stuff when it first came out, so it's good to see the setting getting some love again.

I've got a couple Star Wars novels on deck, next. I won't have them in hand until Monday, though -- my local post office consistently displays incompetence in delivering the mail, and my Amazon packages almost never get here as quickly as Amazon promises, because they get to the post office and then just sit.

Go to Top of Page

12swords
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  02:13:34  Show Profile Send 12swords a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never played the game, but I did read one of the early BattleTech novels, by William H. Keith Jr. I remember it being pretty good for an RPG novel. The writer is former military and did a good job in describing the management of a fighting company.

I enjoyed the Shadowrun RPG but never really played it. The novels I never really cared for. One of the early ones had a scene where some elf assassin was getting raped by a couple troll bodyguards, that was a little too gritty for me.

Currently I'm reading The Expanse series of novels, went through the first few really fast but getting bogged down with Babylon's Ashes. Now I'm sort of flipping back and forth through that and some RPG books (FR and Pathfinder), FR novels (Timeless by RAS), and online fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  05:14:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12swords

I've never played the game, but I did read one of the early BattleTech novels, by William H. Keith Jr. I remember it being pretty good for an RPG novel. The writer is former military and did a good job in describing the management of a fighting company.

I enjoyed the Shadowrun RPG but never really played it. The novels I never really cared for. One of the early ones had a scene where some elf assassin was getting raped by a couple troll bodyguards, that was a little too gritty for me.

I discovered BattleTech and Shadowrun both around 1990ish... I didn't play BTech for the first time until like 2000, and my one time playing the Shadowrun RPG was at GenCon in 2015 or '16!

I did play a lot of BattleTech, but only the minis game -- never the RPG side of it. As with Shadowrun, I simply never had the chance.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  10:04:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shadowrun book proved better than expected, though there have been better ones.

Next up, one I've been waiting for: Thrawn: Treason. The Thrawn books are among the few Expanded Universe books I read back when it was still a thing, so it was great to see Thrawn become canon again. And I love how Zahn has kept everything about the old, non-canon Thrawn compatible with the new, canon Thrawn.

Go to Top of Page

12swords
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  15:55:43  Show Profile Send 12swords a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got into Shadowrun when it first came out, in the 90's, but IIRC only played once or twice with my gaming group back then. I did like the concept though, high fantasy combined with cyberpunk? Pshhhh....
I think I owned one or two of the BattleTech books as well, but I completely forgot there was a wargame version as well as an RPG version.

I've tried to get into the Star Wars novels some, and I've heard the original Thrawn trilogy by Zahn were some of the best examples of that lineup. I think I've read the first third of the first Thrawn book before moving on. For some reason, I like the movies more than the books...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  01:56:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of on a Star Wars kick right now... After Thrawn: Treason, I read one called Alphabet Squadron.

It's got a not-uncommon premise: take a group of people who don't know each other, put them together, give them a common goal, and then sit back and watch.

There was an A-wing pilot, a B-wing pilot, a U-wing pilot, an X-wing pilot, and a Y-wing pilot. Hence, the name.

The author did avoid a couple of tropes: it wasn't the inspirational leader that pulled the group together, and they didn't mesh to become some sort of amazing team, either. They did eventually mesh, but it wasn't because of -- in fact, it was almost in spite of -- their leader, the X-wing pilot who was a former TIE fighter pilot.

Where the author failed is that only two of the five characters were interesting. The leader was standoffish and aloof the whole time and not really likable, the U-wing pilot was a mystery the entire book, and while the B-wing pilot did get some air time, it was the remaining two that really carried the story.

The author did clearly set up a potential sequel, but I'm hoping that sequel never happens. This author had their chance, it's someone else's turn.

Now I'm reading Last Shot. It's a little confusing, the way it jumps back and forth between pre-Rebellion, post-Solo Han, pre-Solo Lando, and post-Endor both of them, but I am enjoying it more than the previous one.

A minor character that was just introduced is one I hope becomes a main character: A Gungan that cuts off and berates Han as soon as Han says "Meesa." This Gungan talks normally and is entirely unlike Jar Jar.

And there was this part:

"Lando hadn't taken good care of the Falcon's main sitting area. Which was to say, he had taken too-good care of it. The guy was meticulous. When Han had won it fair and square(ish) in that fateful sabacc game a while back, he'd found the entire ship spotless, souped up, sparkling. Who could live in those conditions? Unacceptable. Han had immediately gotten to work scuffing it up, making it a place where a regular person could kick back and enjoy themself, not some maniac's immaculate cape museum."

There are a couple of other great lines about Lando and his cape collection, too. I think Lando must be the author's favorite character, because the author is clearly enjoying getting into Lando's head.

Despite the confusing narrative shifts, I'm enjoying this one.

Go to Top of Page

BlindRobertBrown
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  06:59:33  Show Profile  Visit BlindRobertBrown's Homepage Send BlindRobertBrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only recently started reading Forgotten Realms novels again after being forced away from all the awesome series for years now due to gradual lack of vision. Thank Brighid for accessible EBook apps!

I recently re-read the first six books about Drizzt and I just bought copies of the next four in the series. I'll probably start reading them soon! I can't wait!

I recently finished reading The House of Serpents trilogy, which actually turned out to be one of my favorite series as far as Forgotten Realms novels are concerned. I love Psionics and Yuan-Ti, so it was everything I had hoped for and more.

I'm currently about to start reading both the Black Water on Moonshae trilogy, as well as the Brimstone Angels series. Hopefully they both turn out to be great reads!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  16:05:21  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone Angels is fantastic! Glad you're able to read again! I also recommend anything by Elaine Cunningham. Her works in the Realms are fantastic. I also suggest the Last Mythal trilogy and the Erevis Cale series.

Go to Top of Page

BlindRobertBrown
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  17:45:09  Show Profile  Visit BlindRobertBrown's Homepage Send BlindRobertBrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Brimstone Angels is fantastic! Glad you're able to read again! I also recommend anything by Elaine Cunningham. Her works in the Realms are fantastic. I also suggest the Last Mythal trilogy and the Erevis Cale series.

Is the last Mithil series the one involving the Fae'ri? If so, I got about 25 percent through it before I had to put it down. Not because I didn't like it but because I had a major glitch with the program I use to convert my files to make them more accessible. From what I remember reading of that book so far, it is indeed pretty good, though I haven't made up my mind on what I think about the main character. I forget his nname but he's the elf who wants to become a High Mage. So far my favorite character from that book is probably the Fae'ri guy with the patcheye.

Yes, Elain's books are pretty good. I've only read half of Daughter of the Drow up to this point and I'm fully aware that I need to go back and finish it at some point but I really like Laerial. I like her far more so than I like Drizzt Do'Urden.

Actually it's kind of weird. I adored Drizzt when I first read both The Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies for the first time back in 2003 when I was a teenager but having finally re-read those earlier books of his again for the first time in years...Well I still like him but not as much as I remember doing so in the past. Weird.

Honestly, I plan on buying copies of all the Forgotten Realms novels ever so slowly. If I'm able to do so, I plan on buying copies of the Cormyr and Terror of the Sea? I don't remember if that' the correct title of the series or not.

Honestly though, I would like to find at least one book that features certain races such as Triton or Arranachar? Bird-People I mean.

Yeah, I adore Tiefling as a race, so I'm totally looking forward to reading Brimstone Angels and seeing what I end up thinking about it.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  18:21:05  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Last Mythal was the one with the Fey'ri, and the elven mage Araevin. I encourage you to get back to it when/if you get a chance.

Elaine's works are among my favorites in the Realms. Like many, I was introduced to the Realms via Drizzt. I loved them at first, but then I branched out, and realized the Drizzt books were not great for lore (except maybe helping to develop Menzoberrazan). I have become pretty disenchanted with them.

The Cormyr novels are good, and I think you are thinking of Threat from the Sea by Mel Odom.

Are you thinking of the avariel, the winged elves? Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy talked about them, and one of the characters I believe was half-avariel.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000