Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  02:45:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I just re-read everything I could find on the Minnesota Tribe, including an old article from the BattleTech site that dates back several years - the date on the file was 2003, but looking at the file info, it was created in 2001. This means it was likely done on my first computer, that accursed Windows ME box I had! That file has likely been moved across at least half a dozen hard drives since then...

Unrelated to that, I've decided to re-read the Codex Alera books, by Jim Butcher.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  21:08:59  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished The Republic of Thieves. it was amazing.

i'm keen on reading the thorn of emberlain when it comes out. Scott Lynch is now on my top 5 of fantasy writers

now i'm on Slaughterhouse n.5 by Kurt Vonneguth, but i find it a difficult read. not my style, but damn, i began it, i'm finishing it.

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  02:06:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just read Alex Bledsoe's CHAPEL OF EASE, the fourth Tufa novel. I highly recommend them.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  02:35:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading The Mad God's Amulet by Michael Moorcock.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  09:58:20  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading American Gods, really an awesome piece of writing, got to say I really liked the protagonist, I was wary of him since some reviews said it was difficult to empathize with him, but I totally did. Got Neverwhere, Interworld and Terry Pratchet's Pyramids on the bookcase. Ahhhh decisions....

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  16:15:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Just finished reading American Gods, really an awesome piece of writing, got to say I really liked the protagonist, I was wary of him since some reviews said it was difficult to empathize with him, but I totally did. Got Neverwhere, Interworld and Terry Pratchet's Pyramids on the bookcase. Ahhhh decisions....

American Gods was good, but a little too weird for me... I love the sequel, though, Anansi Boys.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  20:42:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading the last book of the Codex Alera series, so now I can start on my friend Beth's newest book, Breath of Earth.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  09:04:56  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

American Gods was good, but a little too weird for me... I love the sequel, though, Anansi Boys.

Know what you mean yet love the weirdness, don't know if Anansi Boys is edited here though...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  15:12:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GRIT by Angela Ducksworth. Non-fiction, positive psychology. Very good book, highly recommended.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2016 :  17:27:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just finished reading the last book of the Codex Alera series, so now I can start on my friend Beth's newest book, Breath of Earth.

I very much enjoyed Beth's new book and can't wait for the sequel. It's making my list of best new reads of the year.

I'm now reading one called Tales of the Invisible Hand. It's a kinda sci-fi-ish one, set on Earth, way in the past. Part of the premise (established in journal entries, every few chapters) is that our modern civilization is not the first to reach our level of technology; at least one prior civilization of people had gotten to a similar tech level 70,000 years ago. Why this civilization hasn't left more evidence behind is not addressed (at least, not yet); most of the book is following a scout pilot and some sort of higher-up that is flying with him. It's not real clear if the higher-up is an officer, some sort of ranking civilian, or some combination thereof -- I've only read the first few chapters. It's interesting, thus far.

Thus far, a trip to see why trade has fallen off with one particular nation has involved the discovery that this nation has been utterly wiped out, and that still another nation is launching a surprise war.

Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2016 :  19:25:34  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Children of the Earth and Sky by Guy Kay. Great read!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2016 :  17:26:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I very much enjoyed Beth's new book and can't wait for the sequel. It's making my list of best new reads of the year.

I'm now reading one called Tales of the Invisible Hand. It's a kinda sci-fi-ish one, set on Earth, way in the past. Part of the premise (established in journal entries, every few chapters) is that our modern civilization is not the first to reach our level of technology; at least one prior civilization of people had gotten to a similar tech level 70,000 years ago. Why this civilization hasn't left more evidence behind is not addressed (at least, not yet); most of the book is following a scout pilot and some sort of higher-up that is flying with him. It's not real clear if the higher-up is an officer, some sort of ranking civilian, or some combination thereof -- I've only read the first few chapters. It's interesting, thus far.

Thus far, a trip to see why trade has fallen off with one particular nation has involved the discovery that this nation has been utterly wiped out, and that still another nation is launching a surprise war.

This one was interesting, but not great. It never did answer the question of why no traces of the prior civilization disappeared, though the professor that discovered this civilization suggests that perhaps all the cities were near the sea and have been covered by rising sea levels. There's also a reference to a supervolcano that exploded around that time frame.

The book very much sets up for a sequel, which could also address the issue.

Honestly, I think it would have been better had that angle not even been there. Knowing that it was on Earth, I constantly found myself wondering about where the various nations were, and of course the question about how no traces were left behind was never far from my thoughts. There was only once that I was able to place a location (Turkey), and it wasn't under I was looking at the appendices in the back that I realized one character was a Neanderthal.

The angle of being set in the distant past was an interesting one, and it nicely explains some "ancient astronaut" legends, but overall, I think it detracted more than it added.

I also found it a bit illogical that immortal beings would be so bad at keeping records and such that they'd forget their own past. (One of the races was immortal)

I'm now reading Yamada Monogatari: The Emperor in Shadow. I had no idea this one was coming; I only found it by chance, when I was taking a second look at the bookstore. I very thoroughly enjoyed the other Yamada Monogatari books, so this one was at the top of my reading list as soon as I saw it on the shelf at the bookstore.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Sep 2016 17:28:06
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2016 :  18:35:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Night Without Stars by Peter F. Hamilton, not as interesting so far as the first book
Go to Top of Page

KraziJoe
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  20:13:48  Show Profile Send KraziJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack Reacher
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  03:59:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KraziJoe

Jack Reacher

I read one of those books. The impression it had on me is why I've not read others.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  04:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Yamada Monogatari: The Emperor in Shadow and then read Black Dogs, which I found enjoyable. I'm now reading another Warmachine novel, Flashpoint.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  13:59:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Maestro. My expectations were low. Picked up the old Babylon 5 Psi Corps Trilogy. Dark Genesis was excellent.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  02:37:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody tried the new Harry Potter?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  02:43:32  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Anybody tried the new Harry Potter?

Yes, it's basically the printed script from the show. It's centered around his second son Albus Severus and is very good and after the first thirty pages you kind of get past the format.

The show is supposed to be very good and I could see it getting big screen treatment at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  06:43:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. Thanks. Didn't know about a show. Is that HBO or something?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  14:18:51  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Oh. Thanks. Didn't know about a show. Is that HBO or something?

it's a play in the UK

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  18:34:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that explains why I've never heard of it.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  18:33:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. It's a new obsession of mine.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  22:07:25  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last book was devil you know.
Go to Top of Page

CTrunks
Acolyte

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  05:43:04  Show Profile Send CTrunks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So at the insistence of a friend of mine, I've been slowly reading through the Dresden Files novels whenever I can get my hands on 'em. Currently, I just finished Small Favor and am about to start Turn Coat, with Changes being the last one I have. Honestly, I didn't think I'd like any of them, but the first novel sold me on the series.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  10:06:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting Terry Pratchett's Pyramids, got Anansi Boys, waiting, so glad it turned out to be published here

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  10:09:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTrunks

So at the insistence of a friend of mine, I've been slowly reading through the Dresden Files novels whenever I can get my hands on 'em. Currently, I just finished Small Favor and am about to start Turn Coat, with Changes being the last one I have. Honestly, I didn't think I'd like any of them, but the first novel sold me on the series.

It's an awesome series. Changes really lives up to its name.

I got turned onto the series by Elaine Cunningham, myself -- she used to have a book blog, and when she mentioned one of the books there, it got my attention.

Go to Top of Page

Quil
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  06:43:16  Show Profile Send Quil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Shadowdale, because I wanted to give the Avatar series a go. So far, I can't say that I like it. Are the other books better? Because the first one sure feels more like a DM writing a bland review of a gaming session than an actual story with interesting characters. The prose isn't exactly great either.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  09:37:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading two books right now, mainly because one is large and I don't want to lug it back and forth to work every day.

The Wall of Storms is one; MJ12 Inception is the other. I've also finished whatever I had previously listed, and read another Warmachine novel, Mark of Caine. I'm wondering if all the recent changes in the Warmachine novels are going to be reflected in the game, at some point, because the last three novels changed a lot for Cygnar.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  06:56:45  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Anansi Boys, really enjoyed it, the style is pretty different from American Gods, continuing Terry Pratchett's Pyramids, and preparing to get Gaiman's Neverwhere.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000