Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  21:43:15  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally getting round to Brimstone Angels. I have Lesser Evils, The Adversary, Fire in the Blood and Ashes of the Tyrant to follow, but because I know they have some of the same characters and follow chronologically I am reading them in order.

Its taken me a while to get into, but thats because I have been picking it up and putting it down for a while. Its very enjoyable though, and I am looking forward to reading the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  22:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading the newest Star Wars book, Bloodline, but I had to put that down -- Stiletto just came out this week. It's the sequel to The Rook, a kinda-sorta "X-Files meets the X-Men" type mashup that has become one of my fave books.

I've not gotten very far into it. I just laid hands on the book last night, and I didn't have as much time to get to it as I should have liked.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  21:16:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, no one has commented in a couple weeks?

I read and thoroughly enjoyed Stiletto, then finished Bloodline, which was thoroughly meh.

I read an Iron Kingdoms ebook, The Blood of Kings. Normally I'm not a fan of ebooks, but I'd heard that Cygnar had a new king, and since that's my faction, I was eager to see how it played out. It started a bit slow, but once it got going, I really enjoyed it.

Somewhere in there, I also read Mechanical Failure, which was, like Stiletto, thoroughly enjoyable, and which will make my list of the best books of 2016.

I just finished The Eerie Adventures of the Lycanthrope Robinson Crusoe, which makes the title character a werewolf (classic variety, not D&D or Hollywood variety) and strands him on an island sacred to Cthulhu and frequented by his cannibal worshippers. I really like Peter Clines's stuff, but this one was a miss for me.

I'm now working on The Gospel of Loki, which does something I've wanted to see for a while -- it's a first-person POV, told by Loki, who of course makes himself out to be not quite the bad guy. I'm not overly keen on the way each chapter is basically its own tale, almost a standalone tale in a larger epic, but there's a lot of humor, and I like the respinning of the mythology.

Not really sure what will be next, but since I've got some travel time coming up, I need to pick something.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  21:25:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wow, no one has commented in a couple weeks?

I'm having a down reading year due to spending more time on other hobbies.

I started Lords of Destruction, Book 2 of the Death Dealer Saga, by James Silke. I love me some nice 80's Sword & Sorcery!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

cheriebrown
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  12:43:23  Show Profile  Visit cheriebrown's Homepage Send cheriebrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am back reading the sellsword series, imo the best realms series to date!

Online Game Fanatic and Game Developer at https://www.spidersolitaireonline.net
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  15:55:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Mars, Inc - The Billionaire's Club and The Red Plague Affair, mostly on the out of state trip -- between airplane time, my wife driving the car, and hanging out in the hotel room with our little guy while she was spending time with her family, I had plenty of time to read.

(It was late, and he needed to wind down and go to sleep. I was actually quite fine with this arrangement; I like her family, but a lot of them I was meeting for the first time that weekend. I was very comfortable doing my own thing while she bonded with them.)

I'm now reading an alt-history called Joe Steele. The premise is that Stalin was born in the US (his dad had left Russia and came to the US), and winds up becoming President. It's kind of weird -- I don't feel particularly enthusiastic to keep reading it, but I want to see how the story plays out.

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  03:39:19  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, I saw you commented on Ready Player One back on page 1 or 2. I somewhat recently finished this utterly terrific book for the first time. I don't know how it eluded my attention for years, I guess I've been so preoccupied with TSR/WotC books it must have somehow slipped under my radar. Within minutes of finishing it I immediately jumped online to alert over a dozen of friends I grew up geeking out with - playing D&D, watching Voltron, Beastmaster, etc. - basically people all in the ideal age category to really appreciate what that story celebrates. A bunch of my friends tore through it in 2-3 days (like myself) because it is so irresistible. I rarely re-read a book anymore, because I have so many on the mountain ahead of me, but this one almost certainly will become an annual event.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  10:09:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

Wooly, I saw you commented on Ready Player One back on page 1 or 2. I somewhat recently finished this utterly terrific book for the first time. I don't know how it eluded my attention for years, I guess I've been so preoccupied with TSR/WotC books it must have somehow slipped under my radar. Within minutes of finishing it I immediately jumped online to alert over a dozen of friends I grew up geeking out with - playing D&D, watching Voltron, Beastmaster, etc. - basically people all in the ideal age category to really appreciate what that story celebrates. A bunch of my friends tore through it in 2-3 days (like myself) because it is so irresistible. I rarely re-read a book anymore, because I have so many on the mountain ahead of me, but this one almost certainly will become an annual event.

I'm glad you liked it! I really love that book, myself.

His second book, Armada, is good, too, but doesn't knock it out of the park the way Ready Player One does.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  12:55:51  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Terry Pratchett's Lords and ladies and got American Gods waiting on my shelves for the next week when I start my holidays

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  17:07:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Just finished reading Terry Pratchett's Lords and ladies and got American Gods waiting on my shelves for the next week when I start my holidays

oh what joy for you!

American gods is next up on my re read stack! So amazing

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  20:14:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

oh what joy for you!

I wasn't a huge fan of American Gods, myself, but I really liked the sequel, Anansi Boys.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  20:27:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

oh what joy for you!

I wasn't a huge fan of American Gods, myself, but I really liked the sequel, Anansi Boys.

For me it was opposite.

But I liked Neverwhere even more than both of those.

I am currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and trying to start

The Gunslinger by Stephen King, I don't like his horror at all....but keep getting poked, prodded and begged to try the dark tower series.

I'll have to admit, it has a great opening line....

"The man in black fled across the desert,
And the gunslinger followed"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  22:08:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read The Dark Tower many, many years ago, and found it not to my liking.

I've got mixed opinions on Stephen King stuff. Some I've liked, some I've hated... And even some of the tales I've liked, I've not liked his writing style.

I read the re-release of Neverwhere at this same time last year -- I started it on the plane to GenCon. It's another odd one, for me. I liked it, but at the same time, it's not one I can muster enthusiasm for.

Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  23:12:59  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear and Name of the Wind. I had forgotten how absolutely amazing both were. Now I can only wait semi-patiently for the 3rd book.
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  18:37:22  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two days ago i started "the Lies of Locke Lamora"

Sweet Tymora, what a joy.

Cant put it down.

(Just finished the three main books of The First Law)

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  20:59:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portuguese D. Ace

Cant put it down.

What did you think of the First Law? I loved it. The Lies of Locke Lamora was fantastic as well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  21:52:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm now reading an alt-history called Joe Steele. The premise is that Stalin was born in the US (his dad had left Russia and came to the US), and winds up becoming President. It's kind of weird -- I don't feel particularly enthusiastic to keep reading it, but I want to see how the story plays out.

I finished this one yesterday... And I don't think I'll read it again.

The book (perhaps inevitably, given the subject) brings Animal Farm to mind, for me. Not as much for the political angle, but instead, what that angle represents: the hopeful revolution, followed by a descent into tyranny and a reality darker than the one that was revolted against.

By the time I got to the end of Joe Steele, I was mostly interested in what was going to happen after Joe Steele died. I wanted to see the next President was going to do to undo what Steele had done.... And that wasn't what happened. So the book ends on a rather bleak note, which for me makes for some very dissatisfying reading. It may work for some, but not for me.

The book didn't bug me the way The Man in the High Castle did, but it is similar in that it's not one that I can recommend to anyone.

I'm currently reading Aftermath: Life Debt, the newest Star Wars book. Not sure what will be next on the list, but with GenCon approaching, I've got to keep it in my reading plans.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Jul 2016 21:53:37
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  20:15:14  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Cant put it down.

What did you think of the First Law? I loved it. The Lies of Locke Lamora was fantastic as well.

I loved it as well. the main story was a little bit straightforward for my taste, but damn, Abercrombie CAN write some characters!

Glokta hypnotized me.

I still have to read the other four spinoffs.

On the other hand, I just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora (I devoured it)and... i loved it way more than the first law.
i loved everything of it. the characters, the storyline, the descriptions. it felt really complete, while, in comparison, the first law lacked something...

anyway, it feels a little bit weird to me, that almost every name in Locke Lamora has an Italian feeling (i'm Italian).

The name Camorr is ODDLY (or purposefully...?) similar to Camorra, the name of an italian type of Mafia...

Now i'm already onto Red seas under a red skies

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  04:36:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really need to get into those 'Locke Lamora' books. Every reader I know comfortably swears they're a "rippin' good yarn."

As for what I'm reading at the moment... mopstly re-reads while I await a shipment of new books. So, old DRAGONLANCE re-read in the form of Fistandantilus Reborn, Mark Waid's phenomenal Irredeemable and Incorruptible comic books, the Tome and Blood earlier 3e D&D supplement.

The only really new "read," is most of the current issues I'm interested in picking up from DC's Rebirth [yes, again!] line.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  12:30:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished "Spellstorm" and now it's "Death Masks"...Then it's time for "The Sundering" Series. I got to get caught up after almost 3 years...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 29 Jul 2016 18:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  12:52:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I really need to get into those 'Locke Lamora' books. Every reader I know comfortably swears they're a "rippin' good yarn."

I need to check those out, myself. That and Name of the Wind. I've got the latter book, but I've not gotten around to reading it.

quote:

As for what I'm reading at the moment... mopstly re-reads while I await a shipment of new books. So, old DRAGONLANCE re-read in the form of Fistandantilus Reborn, snip

Oh, man, why would you do that to yourself? I go out of my way to tell people they don't need to read that as part of the Lost Gods trilogy, because all it does is intro the one character...

Reading that one is a chore, for me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:00:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a slog for me as well, but I'm presently referencing some pertinent lore on Skullcap at the moment, and I recall this novel featuring that location pretty significantly at the beginning.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:42:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting KJ Parker's Devices and Desires.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:43:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do it. Do it now.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:44:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Cant put it down.

I loved it as well. the main story was a little bit straightforward for my taste, but damn, Abercrombie CAN write some characters!

Yes Abercrombie writes the best characters in fantasy IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  16:00:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished reading Aftermath: Life Debt. It wasn't bad, but it similarly wasn't great.

I'm currently reading Ghost Rebellion, the next book in the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series, and I'm quite enjoying it -- it's been a fun series, overall.

I hope to finish this one before boarding the plane on Wednesday, and heading to GenCon.

I'll be taking two books with me in dead-tree format, for the trip. These looked promising enough that I'll share the URLs. I discovered both of those thru some book list email that I wound up on -- Goodreads, mayhaps.

The Interminables and Dark Matter: A Novel

And I'm quite looking forward to my friend Beth's new book, which comes out this month:

Breath of Earth

I've really enjoyed Beth's other stuff (and our lovely Lady Hooded One said that Ed like Beth's first book and was going to pick up her second), so I've high expectations for this one.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Aug 2016 16:02:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  14:48:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I read Dark Matter: A Novel on the plane to Indy, and very much enjoyed it.

I started The Interminables soon after, and finished it last night. Not bad, not great -- some really nifty ideas, but the execution wasn't as nifty.

I just this morning started one of the many books I picked up at GenCon, Betrayal of Ideals -- it's a new BattleTech novel that finally tells the tale of Clan Wolverine, also known as the Not-Named Clan. It is, thus far, told from the PoV of Khan Sarah McEvedy.

And since it's about Clan Wolverine, it's set in the past (at least, the past for the BattleTech Universe). If it was set in the post-Jihad present, I'd likely not have touched it.

I am hoping that this book finally and definitively links the Minnesota Tribe to Clan Wolverine. It's pretty obvious the Tribe was the remnants of the Clan, but I don't think they've ever explicitly confirmed that.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  14:58:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading KJ Parker's Devices and Desires. It's pretty good so far. I'd compare it with the following analogy: Devices & Desires is to Engineering what Pillars of the Earth is to Architecture/Construction ... so if you like what Pillars did for architecture and want something similar for engineering, then this might be the book for you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  14:19:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I read Dark Matter: A Novel on the plane to Indy, and very much enjoyed it.

I started The Interminables soon after, and finished it last night. Not bad, not great -- some really nifty ideas, but the execution wasn't as nifty.

I just this morning started one of the many books I picked up at GenCon, Betrayal of Ideals -- it's a new BattleTech novel that finally tells the tale of Clan Wolverine, also known as the Not-Named Clan. It is, thus far, told from the PoV of Khan Sarah McEvedy.

And since it's about Clan Wolverine, it's set in the past (at least, the past for the BattleTech Universe). If it was set in the post-Jihad present, I'd likely not have touched it.

I am hoping that this book finally and definitively links the Minnesota Tribe to Clan Wolverine. It's pretty obvious the Tribe was the remnants of the Clan, but I don't think they've ever explicitly confirmed that.

Granted, I've been out of the loop with much of the later Jihad material, and granted further that you've mostly avoided nearly all of it... but I recall reading something linking the remnants of the Wolverines, the Tribe, and the Word of Blake... to the point that the Jihad was really some secret part of the Wolverines and their revenge against the entire populated space of humanity - Successor States and Clans included - for their own Clan's ultimate destruction centuries earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  00:09:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a theory, more than anything else... The BattleTech wiki doesn't even mention that possibility.

I was a bit disappointed in a couple of things with Betrayal of Ideals... One was that after the focus left one particular group of Wolverines, they weren't mentioned again -- so the fate of that group is unknown. And the major disappointment was the lack of any reference to the Minnesota Tribe, other than in the ComStar-focused epilog. There was heavy mention of the 331st Division, and we know that the Tribe included a logo similar to that, but that was the only real connection.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000