Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2016 :  10:16:19  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Spoilers for Death Masks in questions hidden below!

Greetings Lady THO and Ed,
I fear greatly the fall of an NDA here, but I have to give this question a try. If you'll forgive me, I'll shoot a few to try and hit a target.

In Death Masks, we discover that the gods' attitude towards resurrection has changed, and priests will now only assent to ask their gods to resurrect those who enjoy that god's "personal blessing". At the very least, this applies to priests of Lurue and Valkur, but the impression given is that potentially all the gods hold this disposition (with the exception of Mystra, who seems to not even extend her favour in this regard to those that do hold her personal blessing). This has HUGE implications for D&D players in the Realms - the party cleric seemingly no longer has the power to bring someone back from the dead, unless they're all followers of the same deity, and enjoy that deity's blessing.

My questions are:
1. Can you clarify in what circumstances a god (Tymora, for example) would deign to resurrect someone? How "personally blessed" does one have to be?
2. Does this mean that, once knowledge of this becomes more widespread, the way people follow gods will change, in that people will begin to focus their prayers on a single deity?
3. How would a cleric of Tymora discover this change?
4. And what would that cleric learn of it?

I somehow anticipate that we may have to wait for future novels or sourcebooks to learn more about this, but any information you can succour us with would be appreciated!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  09:37:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

A few questions on netheril and its legacies which might solve a few conundrums for me.

Number 1. Whats the deal with Lundeth. Where does the fire connection for Kossuth worshippers come from. Is it a crashed enclave (bearing in mind i dont subscribe to the line that all enclaves are massive cities) or some underground research lab from Netheril. I reckon during the discovery era that many netherese dabbled with thr extraplanar and in many cases it got out of hand.

Number 2 - There are two locations in anauroch that begin with Hlaunga (cant remember the actual name sorry). One is way up north on what would have been the north shore of the narrow sea. The other is around central anauroch. Both are filled with lamia. The northern one is said to have been an independent city i think after netherils fall and is also said to be a fallen enclave.
Whats the story or connection with these two places, if any. Did an enclave fall in the southern hlaunga, get reactivated by the lamia that moved in and then flown north where it crashed or landed amid the ruins of a city of netheril survivors.

Number 3 - where was the 4th member of the trio nefarious imprisoned. Is he a famous npc of the modern realms. Was he later (after the fall) in service to a famous trio of anti hero adventurers, a necromancer, an assassin, and a warlord.

Wishing you and yours well, including your new baby TEGG

Your faithful scribe

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 20 Jul 2016 09:46:01
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  01:21:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Number 3 - where was the 4th member of the trio nefarious imprisoned.

Is that like asking who was the 5th Beatle?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  14:38:23  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Number 3 - where was the 4th member of the trio nefarious imprisoned.

Is that like asking who was the 5th Beatle?

-- George Krashos

Or the fourth musketeer! Oh, hold on a second..
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  14:49:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
I see what you did there.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  14:52:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Not quite, Ed has previously confirmed that the trio nefarious are body hopping yugoloths that have a powerful item or ability provided by their patron.
There was originally 4 members of the group but the other three that came to be known as the trio nefarious, overpowered their leader and kept him unconscious and imprisomed somewhere so he couldnt use his body swapping powers to escape.

Now i know who i think the fourth member is, but it would be nice to know where he was imprisoned even if its just a general region, as it gives an approximation of where he was summoned and i might be able to infer other information from the response.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  21:58:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
It was actually our lovely Lady Hooded One, who also noted it may not be canon:

quote:
I recall overhearing an informal chat in one of the lounges at GenCon, involving Ed and several of the company designers of the time, explaining something about the Trio to a licensee (computer game designer?).
What was said boiled down to this:

The Trio Nefarious were actually FOUR nycaloths who had acquired ancient magic (devised by someone else) that allowed them to "take over" the bodies of other nycaloths for short periods, putting the minds in those bodies into comas. So they could use a borrowed body to fight or do some other dangerous deed, and then discard it for another or for a return to their own. The magic that enabled them to do this also protected their minds from some hostile mind-affecting magics (charms, illusions, and attempts to influence or control), enabling them to withstand some attacks better than a "normal" nycaloth. The three active members of the Trio had overcome the fourth, who was the smartest, leaving the fourth as a comatose body they could all flee into, or take over permanently, if need be.
All three of them had made some sort of blood pact enforcing their loyalty to each other, and they spent much of their time acquiring all sorts of magic items, so as to be walking arsenals of magic with ready access to several hidden caches of magic, so they could take on most archmages and other nycaloths and expect to prevail.
Aside from this cunning and magical augmentation, they were no different than other nycaloths, but were thought by some human and elven survivors of encounters with them to be a more powerful sort or form of nycaloth (hence the "greater" sobriquet).
I'm not sure if this is canon, or was ever put into print anywhere. Ed mainly listened rather than talking (although he never disagreed or "corrected" any of this), and Steven Schend wasn't there, so this may not be "official" Realmslore . . . but I regard it as so.
love,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  02:00:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
I've never seen nor heard anything about that before, so I'm doubting it was ever printed in cannon sources. Still - as it comes from the mind of Ed of the Greenwood it is the real deal to me :)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  08:04:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Thank you wooly for finding that for me (ive been trying to refind it for ages). I dont suppose you know which year it is in.

I personally love it as a piece of lore as it presents so many possibilities and it nicelu explaims the background of one of the modern realms villains as well (1360s modern).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  10:18:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Thank you wooly for finding that for me (ive been trying to refind it for ages). I dont suppose you know which year it is in.

I personally love it as a piece of lore as it presents so many possibilities and it nicelu explaims the background of one of the modern realms villains as well (1360s modern).

I created the file on January 15th, 2010.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  13:29:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
In death masks, there's a short blurb at the beginning (I haven't gotten all the way through, but wanted to ask this before I forget). The blurb is something along the lines that Elminster's main purpose in Waterdeep is to help some individual whose sanity is scattered (or something to that effect). Just checking is that a reference to Halaster?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  14:55:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

In death masks, there's a short blurb at the beginning (I haven't gotten all the way through, but wanted to ask this before I forget). The blurb is something along the lines that Elminster's main purpose in Waterdeep is to help some individual whose sanity is scattered (or something to that effect). Just checking is that a reference to Halaster?

No. Another famous wizard. Surprising, but famous. He likes swords and hounds.

-- George

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  20:31:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

No. Another famous wizard. Surprising, but famous. He likes swords and hounds.

-- George Krashos

Hounds? A Harpell by chance? Guess it does get revealed later in the book then, so I'll read ahead tonight.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2016 :  22:57:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Those Ravenloft Domains can drive a Mage bonkers!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 22 Jul 2016 22:58:48
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  04:33:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
is there anything that you can spoil us with about the stormtalons setting?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  18:07:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'm not Ed, obviously, but I can give you some basics...
Stormtalons launches with Ed's novel WORDS OF UNBINDING. It's a swords&sorcery medieval-cum-Renaissance fantasy world, closest in feel to the Realms of Ed's initial 16 TEGG settings, but it is NOT the Realms.
First: very few gods. As in: Six (there are some cults and nigh-forgotten gods, but they are aspects of the six).
Second: low-magic. The priests of the Six rule a land called Rheligor (Amish-like bucolic farmland, but EVERYTHING is controlled) and they oppose a mighty archwizard, the Heirophar, and prevent him from becoming tyrant of the world. If you are a mage and use your magic for minor mendings, you'll get left alone, but if you publicly hurl lightning bolts or fireballs, the Heirophar's nearest hit team shows up and gives you the on-the-spot choice of working for him, or dying (right now). So D&D wizards are few and hide what they are, or they work for the Heirophar (and there's nothing like a warlock in the setting).
Third: elves aren't haughty thin folk who feud with surly bearded hard-drinking dwarves (elves, dwarves, and orcs/goblins are in the setting, yes, but the usual D&D tropes aren't on display).
Fourth: no D&D dragons. There are "brute dragons" (can be fought, tamed as steeds, or eaten; no spells, not smart) and there are the Sleeping Dragons beneath the earth, who are magical powerhouses, legend insists, and who when they awaken will overthrow the Heirophar, most folk hope...
And that's about all the quickie stuff I know, that I can share. The place has Ed-level detail and about 60 novels planned so far, many of them by names that will be familiar to game fiction readers...
With Realms novels getting few and far between, I'd look to the DM's Guild for Ed short tales every November, and to Stormtalons for my regular reading fix. What I've read of Ed's first book had me liking it better than most recent Realms novels...(but that's personal opinion, of course).
The place to look for more on all TEGG stuff is onderLibrum.com
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Jul 2016 18:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  18:24:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
As soon as there is a sourcebook for stormtalons it will be my second favourite place to practice my world building skills on

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  18:33:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Sounds like an intriguing world. Hellmaw just isn't my genre, but I'll definitely check Stormtalons, when it comes out.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  23:07:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I am now even more intrigued...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  23:38:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I'm going to have to keep this all in mind.
So is it offical that the Realms novels are coming to an end, and we will have to look to the DMsGuild for updates?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2016 :  00:14:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

So is it offical that the Realms novels are coming to an end, and we will have to look to the DMsGuild for updates?

I still haven't seen anything to that effect, anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2016 :  00:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message
Few and far between does not equal the end of the world.
As we all know, only demon lords, dark deities, and other things that go bump in the dark places of the realms can truly end the world.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2016 :  00:47:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I still haven't seen anything to that effect, anywhere.

That's why I am asking.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2016 :  16:10:08  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
Hello everyone!

Some time ago, I read here in the forum, a message sent by The Hooded One, made by Ed Greenwood, and was a great explanation of arcane writings, and as spells were written in the spellbooks. Ed detailing the magic writing included parts of the languages of the various magical races, such as dragons and elves. Does anyone know where I find this post?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2016 :  17:39:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Is this the post you're referring to?

quote:
Hello again, all. Ed was offline for the better part of a day (an electrical storm fried an aging iMac power supply, and he was too busy with other things to swap the hard drive out into ANOTHER aging iMac, so as to get all his Net ISP settings back), but he's surfaced now, just in time to answer Zanan's query:

Spells are written in an everchanging "pidgin" language derived from Auld Wyrm/Auld Wyrmish (sometimes called "Auld High Wyrmish" or "Old Draconic"), words augmented by runes/sigils that carry their own magical charges AND have a meaning in an incantation, akin to modern real-world picto-symbols for access, washrooms, this or that banned, et al (though they usually mean something like "that phrase [of the incantation, just spoken] is validated and empowered thus" or "empowered and comined with [the next phrase of the incantation") which is why "read magic" was a different spell than "comprehend languages."
An incantation is "read" by enunciating the words of the incantation, and visualizing (or touching) each rune/sigil AS the name of the rune/sigil is uttered, as they occur in the written spell (which releases their "trigger" magic to affect ("steer and shape") the building power of the natural forces of the world that is being raised and combined by the incantation into an eventual effect.
The language of the incantation (not counting these rune/sigil names) consists of verbs and articles mainly of elder draconic origin, plus a vocabulary of nouns (and a few verbs and articles) added by many workers-in-magic down the years. Some of these added words are elvish, some are human, and a very few (gems, mainly) are dwarven or from the gnome tongue. This language, like all languages, changes over time, as many new words are added, a few are forgotten, and a few fall out of favour. Many of the newer words are "nonsense" words coined by individual human mages, that get taken up and used by others; if someone used to wielding the Art ("arcane magic spellcaster") reads a spell scroll or written spell without actually casting it, the meanings of the words are conveyed faintly to them, unfolding in their brains (which is how someone can trigger not just explosive runes, but a harmful or beneficial glyph).
The point is that the spell CRAFTER (not caster, if they are different beings) must know/feel/be able to visualize what each word represents, be it a thing, a force, a transformation, or a desired result (for instance, the incantation phrase "aumma drood hethtarl [barrander] khehk'tal" literally means: ruby (the gem), melt it, to produce only a red vapor and heat, [name of rune, that means: applying the flesh-affecting ability this derived chemical possesses, to all of the energies of the building spell], unchanged in effects). So it's quite possible for a drow caster to use drow words in an incantation, or a dwarf to replace some words with dwarven runes (different from the "power runes"/sigils of the spell), or any spellcaster to use a family or personal nonsense word that THEY know the meaning of, when writing down spells.
So the answer is: there's no one "language of magic," but there's a jargon for incanting that's perhaps 40 percent nonsense words ("nonsense" to non-workers-in-magic, as in: invented, not part of any merely spoken language), 30 percent human, 12 percent elder draconic, 8 percent elven (various dialects, usually old word forms), and 10 percent drawn from all other tongues.
A speaker of any of these tongues who does not have the gift of handling the Art could "sort of" understand "their" words in an incantation, but only partially (for instance, an old drow word for "violent fall" of a stalactite [the equivalent of "crash down on whatever's below"] might be used in an incantation to mean "dash down" [that is, I want this my spell to violently and damagingly smash something down on what's below]; the meaning is similar but not identical, and could be misunderstood out of context).
In the "good old days," game designers actually sat down (often over drinks), and discussed all of this, so we'd be on the same page when writing, even though the early publishing codes prevented anything really specific being printed about "casting spells/working witchcraft." This has ALWAYS been "how it's worked in the Realms," with Ruathlek being an illusionist's "code" version of wizards' magical lingo, and I got TSR staff designers to agree to this back in 1986, but . . . personnel change, companies change, agreements get forgotten and new people never even know they exist, and so on . . .
Work for you? Post right back if you have more questions, and I'll be happy to talk this through.

So saith Ed. Who DOES think about all of this stuff, folks. Truly.
love to all,
THO

The date on my file is 10-27-08, so the post was from on or around that date.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Jul 2016 17:40:04
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  07:18:46  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
A question for Ed about a character from an early Dragon article, "Rogue Stones and Gemjumping", that could be relevant to anyone running Tyranny of Dragons...

Would Gulthas, the Black Mage, be likely to have survived to see the 5th edition era Realms? And if so, would he still live near Baldur's Gate, and would he still dream of raiding Tiamat's hoard?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2016 :  08:14:00  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Thanks Ed and THO !
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  06:15:30  Show Profile
Here's an easy one you can probably answer, THO. I was struck looking at a road map one day - was Kossuth named after the town in Central Ontario? (Or I guess the Hungarian leader the town is presumably named after?)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  19:45:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
I bring some short Realmslore replies:
Arivia, the short answer re. Kossuth is: Ed and I both don't know. Kossuth comes from the core game rules, and was named by someone at TSR, rather than being "from the Realms, and named by Ed."
In the Realms, the being is pronounced "Koss-OOTH," BTW.

KanzenAU, Gulthas has survived, has devised a means of moving his sentience intact from monster body to monster body (so, non-good necromantic means of some sort) in order to do so, and now lives in hiding at several undisclosed locations in the Sword Coast lands. He has other dreams these days (so, no treasure hoards, but now, only ancient and powerful magic concerned with longevity and renewal and body transformations).

And there you have it. Lore by Ed, typing by me. ;}
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  05:26:53  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Thank you, that's fantastic! Instant ideas generated. Oh, the money I'd pay for a book of that sort of lore from Ed... great stuff.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000