Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Help! Confusion about Elaine Cunningham novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  18:39:57  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all!

So per some good recommendations, I'm shopping at eBay and Amazon for her "Elfshadow" book. Now I'm stumped when I read the advertised covers. Some sellers have the Eldshadow book listed as "Elfshadow Song and Swords Book 1". And then other seller will advertise the book as "Elfshadow Harpers Two"

So am I interpreting this correctly, that "Elfshadow" is a series of books, rather than the book title itself?? The confusion stems from the fact that both books have the same identical graphic cover. And most of them are given the same general summary on eBay or Amazon.

Thanks for any clarification!

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  18:51:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, moonbeast. It's the same book, and there's just the one novel: ELFSHADOW. When it first appeared, it was as the second "Harpers" book (of which there were many, by different authors, and they aren't one long story, they're many different stories, about Harpers).
Later, ELFSHADOW and its sequels, ELFSONG et al, were dubbed the "Songs and Swords" series (all by Elaine, and featuring the same main characters). So a "S and S Book 1" copy would be a later printing of the same book.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  18:57:43  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi THO, thank you for the quick clarification!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  20:17:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pleasure! They're GREAT books. Ed has always said that reading "Elfshadow" for the first time was glorious, because he said Elaine got the Realms so perfectly "right," it was as if she'd been walking through his head, seeing what he imagined.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  04:58:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham is one of the authors I always recommend to new readers of Realms novels. Elaine gets and describes the feel of the Realms better than a lot of other authors, and I think that her characters are some of the most interesting ones I've read about, in the Realms or elsewhere.

I got Elfshadow for Christmas, the year it came out -- and I finished it that night, because I just couldn't put it down.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  05:13:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See also lists on o-love (here), there are series crossing, timelines and everything.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  19:00:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As THO said, they are the same novel, but look inside the books to see if there is any differences in the maps provided near the front cover. I'm not sure if Elfshadow is one, but in some cases the reprinted editions of Realms novels are missing or have different maps in them.

On a personal note, I kind of envy you for being able to read Elfshadow and its sequels for the first time. They are my favorite Realms novels and characters. After you've read them all be sure to read Elaine's RECLAMATION post here, which contains a couple chapters of a never published S&S sequel. You can also find such slices from another canceled sequel Serpent's Daughter. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  07:11:47  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone that responded. Just started reading the novel. Although I'm a slow reader (1-3 chapters per day), I've started and am really enjoying Elfshadow.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  00:06:03  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Thanks everyone that responded. Just started reading the novel. Although I'm a slow reader (1-3 chapters per day), I've started and am really enjoying Elfshadow.

Hope you watch the show Castle.

Danilo Than IS Richard Castle and Arilyn Moonblade is Kate Beckett.

I swear whoever wrote that show patterned those characters off Elaine's
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000