Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Grandfather Tree & High Forest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  08:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hear Yee, Hear Yee

My campaign is going to invlove the High Forest in depth, so I've started this thread in the hopes of gaining more lore regarding the forest and its many mysteries,

so first lets chat about the GF Tree, Now I have all the WOTC Mintipers Chapbooks, has anyone ever stated the GF Tree and the Treeghosts it can produce?

Thank you in advance for your input.
PFoA

Edited by - Alaundo on 23 Mar 2004 08:39:15

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  08:32:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think such stats actually exist, or rather, I've never encountered them anywhere.

However, IIRC, aren't the 'Treeghosts' as you say, just a tribe that split off from the Blue Bear Uthgardts in ages past...? If that's the case, then their stats shouldn't be that difficult to work out, given that you have the Uthgardt stats that are included in the Silver Marches tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  14:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My character's companion in Mumadar's campaign (well, he's split off with most of the group, hunting Zhents while I and a few others check out a mill and get ambushed, but that's another story . . . ) -- anyway, he's from the Tree Ghost tribe, living (as Tarim the barbarian spellcaster put it) "in the shadow of the Grandfather Tree." They don't, actually, since it's considered sacred. But they're very close by.

If those are the people you're talking about, then they're quite the flesh-and-blood.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  16:26:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't think such stats actually exist, or rather, I've never encountered them anywhere.

Ditto, I don't recall ever seeing Stats for it be it 2nd, 3rd, or 3.5 edition.
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  06:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of I have to say, I'm glad I can get even my fellow leared scribes scrathing their collective heads. (hehe)Nice to know that your not omnicient at least I can make you think.

Second, I dont think the GF Tree has ever been stated EVER,though my plans involve making it a living breathing demi-diety. I was wondering what anyone might have done in their campaigns based on the suggestions of the chapbooks. I might have to ask Ed or Eric about this one.

Third, The "tree-ghosts" I speak off are the ones in Mintipers Chapbooks, the living (creatures?) that the tree can produce for protection, etc.

Per Eric Boyd(who did the chap books,((and by the way does anybody know how I might contact him to ask?)))"The GF Tree is over 13,000 years old a Arakhora, possibly a form of Elder treant, perhaps the progenitors of the treant race in its modern form."
The Tree Ghosts are something different akin to Dryads with the powers of an archdriuid who can assume coporeal or noncoporeal form at will and are able to wander beyond the borders of the High Forest etc.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  11:49:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

First of I have to say, I'm glad I can get even my fellow leared scribes scrathing their collective heads. (hehe)Nice to know that your not omnicient at least I can make you think.
Hey, I never claimed to be omniscient, I just said that I know everything...

quote:

Second, I dont think the GF Tree has ever been stated EVER,though my plans involve making it a living breathing demi-diety. I was wondering what anyone might have done in their campaigns based on the suggestions of the chapbooks. I might have to ask Ed or Eric about this one.

That's probably your best bet. The lack of official stats and other relevant information regarding the Grandfather Tree seems to be continuity wide, as in both editions of FR...

quote:

Third, The "tree-ghosts" I speak off are the ones in Mintipers Chapbooks, the living (creatures?) that the tree can produce for protection, etc.

Per Eric Boyd(who did the chap books,((and by the way does anybody know how I might contact him to ask?)))"The GF Tree is over 13,000 years old a Arakhora, possibly a form of Elder treant, perhaps the progenitors of the treant race in its modern form."
The Tree Ghosts are something different akin to Dryads with the powers of an archdriuid who can assume coporeal or noncoporeal form at will and are able to wander beyond the borders of the High Forest etc.

By your mention of the Tree Ghosts, I guess most of us naturally assumed you were talking about the Tree Ghost Tribe that was described in one of the footnotes in GF Tree's Chapbook entry. Which entry were these Dryads mentioned?.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  17:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In part 8 of the chapbooks,"Grandfather Tree" under Chronicler's Footnotes Number 7, thought it doesnt specifially say Dryad it says "akin in some respects to Dryad or Hamadryads".

Well since the GF tree is a bust, my next question is:
The Halls of Four Ghosts, anybody have any extra info on this site, other than whats in the FCRS page 294? I remember a place of death where the bones of the dead still litter the ground where they fell, where whatever killed them is unknown but it happened quickly,Is it the Halls or some other place? Thanks

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See FR5 The Savage frontier and The North.

Also FR11 Dwarves Deep:
quote:
the short-lived lumbering town of Caddarak, now marked only by the stone hall of its lord, Darthurn, called by humans the Hall of Four Ghosts.
quote:
The Hall of Four Ghosts: The Hall is a high, slate-roofed, leaking structure with a beautiful vaulted ceiling, and several rail-less spiral stone stairs ascending to galleries and hanging apartments. It is haunted by the ghosts of four lovers (two dwarves, an elf, and a human), whose mounting mistrust of each other led to murder. It is known as The Hall of Four Ghosts today, the presence of the dwarven lumbering town forgotten.

From the vast storage cellars of the Hall, tunnels run eastwards beneath the High Forest, under lands then settled by elves, to interior areas inhabited then only by monsters and a few dryads and korred.

The dwarves built several fortressholds to retreat to, for protection if attacked while working in the woods. Most are lost and overgrown, but those known to men include the Stronghold of the Nine and Hammer Hall.
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  07:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Faraer,
I have these products, but do you happen to know if this is the place I was speaking off in my earlier post, I'm going to have to search my realmslore to find it.

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  08:33:04  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well since the GF tree is a bust, my next question is:
The Halls of Four Ghosts, anybody have any extra info on this site, other than whats in the FCRS page 294? I remember a place of death where the bones of the dead still litter the ground where they fell, where whatever killed them is unknown but it happened quickly,Is it the Halls or some other place? Thanks

Possibly the Dungeon of Death? That sounds like a description of the results of the curse on that place. If you have access to it, you may want to check out the adventure, Dungeon Crawl -- Dungeon of Death. Not one of my all-time favorites, but it may be what you are thinking of.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  03:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I knew if I looked long enough I would find it,

The North Boxed set Pg 55 under the Lost Peaks heading:
" a long dead dwarven hold lies undisturbed as it has for 12 centuries">"Whatever destroyed this place killed everyone unawares and instantly, as most of the skeletal dwarves....It is truly erie to walk through the halls, finding dwarven skeletal forms still hard at work long after death."

Does anybody know the name of said place etc?

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  02:25:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never actually stated up the Arakhora or the Tree Ghosts.

That said, the former might be approximated by an advanced elder treant (see Epic Level Handbook, page 223) with avatar-of-Silvanus-like abilities added.

For tree ghosts, I would just use the stats for dryads or hamadryads, but describe them as gnarled wood-men. I might add some ranger levels or druid levels as well.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  04:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i know this thread died a long time ago but i was wondering how the grandfather tree is supposed to be handled by dms etc. does it have a conciousness anymore or has the arakhora reverted to its natural state of slumber? what would wake it... what would it do?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no answers, but I wanted to note that Grandfather Tree and the Tree Ghosts (the tribe, that is) appear in my novel Son of Thunder.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  16:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which i havent yet read :( now its anotehr incentive to read it

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  11:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My campaign will have the PCs have a quick visit at the Grandfather Tree. I plan on having an encounter take place around it, so I'm wondering, how big is the tree (basically, how many 5' squares need i dedicate on the map for the miniatures)? Any bits of obscure lore not mentioned here or in the Silver Marches book that I could make use of that anyone knows about? Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  12:24:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've read the Grandfather Tree article?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  12:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Can't, the URL is blocked. If I send you a PM with my email, could you download it and send it to me mayhaps???

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  12:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually my email is on my profile (not the MSN one).

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  07:44:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an adventure, IIRC, in the old Savage Frontier suplement, and it had some maps pertaining to the Grandfather Tree on the inside cover (including a pic of the tree, which I tried to turn into a vector so I could use it as a map symbol... and the drawing was so complex my comp crashed). LOL

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2011 23:42:50
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  12:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There is an adventure, IIRC, in the old Savage Frontier suplement, and it had some maps pertaining to the Grandfather Tree on the inside cover (including a pic of the tree, which I tried to turn into a vector so I could use it as a map symbol... and the drawing was so complex my comp crashed). LOL

Yeah I made a photocopy of it as a handout for my PCs. Any idea how big it would be in squares?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  12:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah I made a photocopy of it as a handout for my PCs. Any idea how big it would be in squares?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  12:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just found at home that I have it printed out in a binder.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2015 :  00:57:21  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

" a long dead dwarven hold lies undisturbed as it has for 12 centuries">"Whatever destroyed this place killed everyone unawares and instantly, as most of the skeletal dwarves....It is truly erie to walk through the halls, finding dwarven skeletal forms still hard at work long after death."

PFoA

Morndinvuddrrin?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  05:59:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:

PFoA

Morndinvuddrrin?

That hold is Rornfaern.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  16:52:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be the same place - I recall Eric waffling a bit on the name; he seemed not to care so much for the older, longer one (IIRC).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  16:35:58  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting that this came up, because I'm currently reading through that set and got to that section last night. That same comment about the dwarf hold caught my attention to! Is there any other info about it?

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  17:16:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES... but it hasn't been made public yet.

Here's to hoping it finds an avenue for release.

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  19:52:37  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::WHACK::

Ah, the ever-present sound of someone running smack into the dreaded NDA-wall... :)

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  21:41:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope - not NDA.

The High Forest is just a finished product that WotC seems to have no interest in publishing.

I can't imagine why - if they did it in a 'profit-sharing' model, and published it digitally, it would cost them nothing, and they stand to make quite a bit. Maybe its the need for artwork - thats always a major budget snafu in a project like this. I suppose if they could find an artist willing, it could be a three-way split.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Aug 2015 21:42:29
Go to Top of Page

Lumenbeing
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  08:18:34  Show Profile Send Lumenbeing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Grandfather Tree has now been officially statted. Storm King's Thunder has it on page 86. I have to say, I'm kind of underwhelmed. I won't quote all the stats, but one part certainly raised my eyebrow. Turns out it "isn't self-aware." Doesn't that go against the established lore that Grandfather Tree is an Arakhora?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000