Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chris Perkins on new Story Lines
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  23:32:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
The question was asked and answered. Anything else is just drama.

That said, are you sure you didn't at least burst a blood vessel when you started reading through the SCAG?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  23:39:35  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

That said, are you sure you didn't at least burst a blood vessel when you started reading through the SCAG?

I wanted to burn the book actually.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  23:45:12  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Everyone's dead change the channel! Moving on...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2015 :  23:58:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've not finished the book, yet, but I've got no major issues with it. Well, I do dislike that they didn't do a reset and get rid of the Spellplague entirely, but that was never a reasonable possibility, and I've moved on from the whole anti-4E era thing -- I've neither forgiven nor forgotten, but I'm done wasting energy there.

There is a lot to like about the book. I'll grant that it should have been twice as thick and had a lot more material, but I am satisfied with it. To me, it's like returning to the Realms. It feels new again, and while the book doesn't fully evoke the original sense of wonder I felt reading the 1E and 2E books, it gets close to it and certainly lacks the post-apocalyptic feel of the 4E book.

It's a good start, and it is enough to convince me to buy more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  00:42:31  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:

Erm.......don't you think this reaction is rather extreme?

I think you need to chill, dude.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  00:48:38  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:

quote:

Not really no.

I appreciate the the token as a gift but the book would be better useful keeping me warm on a cold night here in Ireland.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  03:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:

quote:

Not really no.

I appreciate the the token as a gift but the book would be better useful keeping me warm on a cold night here in Ireland.

If Shadowsoul was a Simpsons character.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Fvsgv0bYw

As for Shadowsouls views on the SCAG Ill respond with a quote

"Where they burn books, they will also ultimately burn people."

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  04:15:22  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Oh, come on. There's a big difference between burning a book in order to suppress and censor ideas and burning a book because it's garbage.

Stephanie Meyer's Twilight, for example, is far better used as kindling than as reading material.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  05:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

Oh, come on. There's a big difference between burning a book in order to suppress and censor ideas and burning a book because it's garbage.

Stephanie Meyer's Twilight, for example, is far better used as kindling than as reading material.

I assume your not familiar with his posting history

Shadowsoul cant seem to make a post on these forums without bad mouthing what ever the latest FR product is and its ussualy followed up with abuse of WOTC authors/employees and how they should all be fired because there not producing what he wants and quite frankly its gotten very tedious. Ive posted on this forums for a long time (I stopped when they relaeased the 4th edition FR) and I can not remember posts like Shadowsouls (and theres a few others who seem to drink the same Coolade) which are just blatently rude, insulting and down right abusive.

Back when I joined Candlekeep we where thankful to have the authors/designers who contributed their own time to answer our questions and flesh out the realms, we certainly wouldnt have carried on like Shadowsoul (and others) have if we didnt like a product.

If you cant say something nice (or at least offer constructively criticism) dont say anything at all

and no I dont work for WOTC

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  05:47:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I really don't like where this is going... Perhaps we could get back on the original topic, or at least in its general vicinity?

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  06:45:05  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

I assume your not familiar with his posting history

No, I'm familiar with his posting history, and yours, and others.

quote:
Shadowsoul cant seem to make a post on these forums without bad mouthing what ever the latest FR product is and its ussualy followed up with abuse of WOTC authors/employees and

Look, here's what I know.

Shadowsoul doesn't need any defending, but I'm not going to stand idly by while people continue to bait him. He was accused of piracy, you're accusing him of attacking authors and employees, etc.

Call me blind or whatever you need to do, but I haven't actually seen him attack people unless they treat him in a very uncivil manner.

Does he have a really negative opinion of recent FR products? Sure. So do I. Unless I'm mistaken, people are allowed to express negative opinions about products, the way things have gone in terms of metastory, and so on. If he's attacked authors or designers, I haven't seen it - but it's possible you may be confusing strong criticism with a personal attack. Maybe not.

What I DO know is that when Jeremy and you blatantly bait and call out another Candlekeep scribe, that's against the Code of Conduct. Why the Code of Conduct is left unenforced, I have not been able to understand for several years now.

Scribes need to be able to express their honest opinions on this site, even if they are strongly negative. Otherwise, this site has no value as a place for honest discussion. Attacking another scribe for their opinion about a PRODUCT is wrong and it needs to stop. Continually baiting another scribe because they dislike various PRODUCTS needs to stop.

This is a GAME. It's a pretendy fun time activity. Stop baiting and attacking people who are fellow fans. It's not just bad form, it's against the Code of Conduct.

I have said myself that Chris Perkins should move on to another job, for the betterment of the Realms. I have said that certain authors shouldn't be writing for the Realms - let them go write for Star Wars or whatever. If you view that as an attack, it's not. It's an opinion meant to point out which contributors you don't want hanging around and producing things you won't buy. It's one person's opinion. Disagree with it, move on. If you see someone say that they'd like to burn the SCAG, it's an opinion about the quality of the book. It's not a personal attack - though perhaps it may feel that way, if you're a designer. But if you're a designer or author on the receiving end of a negative opinion, take it for what it is and MOVE ON. It's just one opinion.

Fans however, stick around awaiting new and better products. If fans start attacking each other, riding in to defend an author or designer they think is being attacked, it creates an ongoing hostile environment. State your disagreement, and move on. Report it if you think it's an actual attack, then move on.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  07:17:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
There's a difference between sharing opinions and being relentlessly negative.

It's obvious to everyone when the former happens as opposed to the later.

Which is why phrases like "scabby releases" and "mediocre shite" fall into the later category--and these are just the two most recent examples.

And while I am at it: the notion that scribes who point out the over abundance of negativity on the forum space are somehow attacking the lone person producing that negativity is childish.

It's like talking out loud in a movie theater and then complaining to the usher that all the other people who shushed you are at fault for not letting you enjoy the movie.

People don't go to movies to listen to other people talk. Fans of the Realms don't visit Candlekeep for the privilege of suffering one scribe's relentlessly negative attitude towards anything new produced for the Realms.

We're here to enjoy ourselves and have a good time.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 02 Dec 2015 07:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  07:35:09  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:

There's a difference between sharing opinions and being relentlessly negative.

This is a judgment, and frankly Jeremy it's not your call. You are not a moderator.

quote:
Which is why phrases like "scabby products" and "utter shite" fall into the later category--and these are just the two most recent examples.

Again, the words people use is not up to you, it's not your decision. This is a fan website with fans from all over the world. How you personally want people to speak, the words you want to have banned, it's NOT UP TO YOU.

quote:
And while I am at it: the notion that scribes who point out the over abundance of negativity on the forum space are somehow attacking the lone person producing that negativity is childish.

You really seem unable to get it through your head that people are allowed to talk about products. They're allowed to repeat themselves. There's nothing in the Code of Conduct about only sharing an opinion once or twice. Some people like to participate more, others less. But calling out another scribe and telling them to go away - it's not your decision and frankly, creates hostility.

quote:
It's like talking out loud in a movie theater and then complaining to the usher that all the other people who shushed you are at fault for not letting you enjoy the movie.

People don't go to movies to listen to other people talk. Fans of the Realms don't visit Candlekeep for the privilege of suffering one scribe's relentlessly negative attitude towards anything new produced for the Realms.

This site is not a movie theater with imposed rules limiting talking. It's in fact the opposite of that: it's a place for people to openly and honestly discuss things, debate things. This means that you will not like some things that some people say. Get over it. It's not your damn decision who gets to say what, how often they say it, or whether or not it's "too negative" for you - you are not a censor or a moderator.

quote:
We're here to enjoy ourselves and have a good time.

The only way to do this is if we ALL agree to abide by the Code of Conduct. If you're not prepared to do that, if you take it upon yourself to continually try to censor people for things that you personally dislike, you really need to go. Being able to live with another person's opinion that you dislike is a sign of maturity and adulthood. More than that, it's something necessary for living and working in the real world. A discussion website is a microcosm of the real world. People will say things you may not like, they may repeat themselves. LET IT GO. Don't keep baiting people in a constant attempt to drive people away. It's against the Code of Conduct.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  07:56:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
More than one person has complained about the relentless negativity.

Your obsession with making everything about me is not going to change that fact.

People recognize when others bring everybody else down. Your bizarre argument that we all just have to live with it won't convince people to stop standing up for themselves.

Shadowsoul's negativity is a form of abuse that none of us are required to live with if we want to participate in discussions on this forum space.

It's past time for Wooly and Alaundo to consider what phrases like: "
quote:

I'm surprised he could speak with all that crap coming out of his mouth.

...(to give just one example, in this case in reference to a game designer) bring to the discussion.

From where I am sitting, the value isn't just zero, but a negative, because not only is nothing substantive being said, this kind of talk is likely to turn off others from participating.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 02 Dec 2015 08:01:57
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  08:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I have to laugh that your pulling me up for calling him on his rude and abusive posts on this forum and yet you then turn around and defend his right to abuse authors/designers!?!?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

arctic79
Acolyte

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  08:27:09  Show Profile Send arctic79 a Private Message
As a newb I have certainly been put-off by some of the negative crap.
At least dazzler(passionate in his loathing of wotc) contributes in a constructive way to this place with his articles. You may be entitled to an opinion it doesn't mean you're opinion is valid or free from criticism.
And as a new dm i have got quite enough FR info with the SCAG,elminsters FR and the older campaign setting books.
Oops cut off my post.Oh well. Happy gaming all. And G'day.

Edited by - arctic79 on 02 Dec 2015 08:33:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  11:11:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And we're done.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000