Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Online Gaming Session w/Ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  16:45:56  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched for a couple of hours then gave up. Ed could hardly get a word in with the players falling all over each other to get "real world" jokes in or show how smart they are. Not much in the way of roleplaying going on. I guess I take my gaming too seriously.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  17:04:46  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to wonder why this Lontar Trune, the personal envoy of Laeral Silverhand was doing down there. Follower of Eilistraee attempting to keep tabs on the cult perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  17:58:14  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I watched for a couple of hours then gave up. Ed could hardly get a word in with the players falling all over each other to get "real world" jokes in or show how smart they are. Not much in the way of roleplaying going on. I guess I take my gaming too seriously.

I like my games serious as well. Glad you warned me.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  18:18:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To each their own of course. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences have involved slapstick or running things on a lighter note. Ed did state the home Realms campaign is, I believe he said more serious. Though I'm sure they have their moments, I seem to recall Torm and was it Rathan?, thinking of creative ways to kill goblins, or was it Zhents, or both? ;)

Definitely worth watching or even listening to audio in my opinion. Hope we get to see more sessions of Ed DM'ing in the future!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  19:52:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not like no one makes jokes at our gaming table. Organic humor is a part of just being together. Key term being "organic". Trying to make a joke out of everything that happens just detracts from the game and then everyone has to circle back and get on track. I can't help but think things would have been different on a different platform. That's the first time I've watched a game via Twitch. I definitely like players that are more interested in listening to the DM and staying in character than cracking jokes. My bad I guess for having a different expectation.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  20:05:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please don't feel bad for having a different opinion than mine. That was certainly not my intention. And there's nothing wrong with different opinions. We both love the Realms after all, so its all good. :)

I thought this was fun, but I'd pay money to see the home campaign play. Totally get what you mean though, a more serious tone would probably allow for alot more Realmslore to flow.

Edited by - Eilserus on 22 Nov 2015 20:47:27
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  21:18:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think part of the slapstick nature of this session was the fact that the players are all authors with a vested interest in being liked and being seen as someone whose books you would want to read, and the host in particular had the pressure of entertaining the 250 of us watching and chatting input. Also, several of the jokes came from we the chatters.

Finally, while I'm sure Ed would have been equally happy to have a calm mature session, he seemed to be enjoying himself. His laughter looked pretty genuine. The point of this cast was not so much the roleplaying --the "plot" was very simple, the "dungeon" was very simple, and there were no significant npc interactions-- but rather to showcase Ed and the authors, and show that roleplaying *could* be a gas, and not something boring that newcomers would feel intimidated by.

Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  21:58:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was seriously surprised the player's were able to collect their reward. I initially figured the whole mission was intended to send the player's to their deaths because the Eagleshield's had a bone to pick with the baron from Amn.

Told my 7 year old daughter about the Nath and she thought a poop monster that lived in a toilet was hilarious. ;)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  22:20:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, the pooptopus was amazing. I'm glad she was entertained instead of developing a fear of toilets!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  23:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know whether its just because Ive finished watching Season 1 of Continumm but Chris Jackson looks like Edouard Kagame from that series

If Ed Was going to run more of these games Id suggest he get a group of FR authors and make them run their signature characters through what ever he comes up with. With the Condition the Authors have to Roleplay the character during the session

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  12:50:11  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It isn't the peak of Roleplaying, but it was a lot of fun and it was great to see Ed get into it. It's probably equivalent to my Pathfinder group at it's worst. Still a good show to watch.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  23:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for making this available. I agree that playing in that manner seems a missed opportunity when Ed ******* Greenwood is DMing for you.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  00:10:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
Well, that was nothing like a "home" Realmsplay session (we speak as our characters, so acting is the order of the day, and subplots and "daily life" in the Realms predominate), but it was fun. Slow fun, mind you; I think that group of PCs would be late for their own funerals... ;}
However, what I dropped in to post about was this, from Eilserus: "If possible I wouldn't mind knowing more about the Nath. Pretty friendly for an Underdark monster. Is it really the only one in the Realms? Is it an Underdark native or transplant from elsewhere? Anything that can be told about that Sharran cult and its leader? Where the Underdark portal leads to?"
Ed has some "sort of" answers for you:

First off, obviously that personal envoy was anything but. Telling fibs to try to stay alive.
Secondly, the Nath has a rather limited intellect and world-view. No, it's not the only one; the Nath just hasn't met any others of his kind since he was old enough to remember.
And thirdly, the Sharran cult was new to the Watch, new to the rulers of Waterdeep...and quite possibly isn't what it seems. Though obviously someone has been at work buying up buildings to get at their cellars, then rebuilding/refurbishing the cellars, for quite some time.
Fourthly, Underdark portal? What Underdark portal? ;}

So saith Ed, so far . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  00:56:21  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  02:06:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - Ed tried to tell the to do real roleplaying, but that just did not stick. It was understandable though, because it seemed to me like 2 of them had never even tried something like that before. When the one guy asked what a helmed horror was, I did a face slap :)
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  02:11:47  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would give my eye teeth to see something like this with Ed's regular group of Knights. Thanks for the insight THO.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  23:53:15  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
Well, that was nothing like a "home" Realmsplay session (we speak as our characters, so acting is the order of the day, and subplots and "daily life" in the Realms predominate), but it was fun. Slow fun, mind you; I think that group of PCs would be late for their own funerals... ;}

That's somewhat heartening as that's how I run my game. I go to major lengths to detail the daily life and for us anyway the details are what makes it feel real, as do deep and well played characters that interact with the world in a semi-realistic fashion.

I was just looking at our journal and realized that since July we've only played about two and a half tendays in game time!

That's VERY slow but we enjoy the roleplaying focus. By the time we have to actually combat we've dang near forgotten the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  15:00:31  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

See here for a recording on YouTube: http://www.sageadvice.eu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG8SKANyTPA link to the video itself

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000