Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Lack of novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vfl2015
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  21:48:28  Show Profile Send Vfl2015 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been a huge fan of Forgotten Realm novels for quite some time. It seems that after the time jump the number of novels being produced has dropped considerably. Is this something that is expected to pick up in the future or is this going be the norm moving forward?

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  21:55:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep! Sadly the decreased yearly novel production probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 17 Nov 2015 21:56:01
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  00:24:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that the schedule is 90% dependent on how much money WotC can recover from 5e. The huge drop in publishing is undoubtedly due to the tragic miscalculations involved in the 4e changes to the Realms, and as 5e fares considerably better they should return to a position where they can publish more.

So partly it's up to us. We show our enthusiasm with our wallets --> they can gradually give us more to buy.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  00:51:16  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember Paul Kemp, when he explained why he wouldn't be writing in the Realms anymore, talking about how WotC doesn't pay as much as other companies. Does the amount that WotC pay to authors prevent any new authors from coming to write for WotC? Honestly, I don't think they have had any new writers. Evans is the newest one, and she was involved in editing for a while before writing if I am not mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  04:22:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

I remember Paul Kemp, when he explained why he wouldn't be writing in the Realms anymore, talking about how WotC doesn't pay as much as other companies. Does the amount that WotC pay to authors prevent any new authors from coming to write for WotC? Honestly, I don't think they have had any new writers. Evans is the newest one, and she was involved in editing for a while before writing if I am not mistaken.

WotC prefers to stick with a stable of known writers. They'll occasionally vet new ones, usually by doing an anthology and seeing how the newbies do, and then give them a shot with a one-off novel. If they prove themselves there, that's when they get tapped for more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  23:43:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I suspect that the schedule is 90% dependent on how much money WotC can recover from 5e. The huge drop in publishing is undoubtedly due to the tragic miscalculations involved in the 4e changes to the Realms, and as 5e fares considerably better they should return to a position where they can publish more.

So partly it's up to us. We show our enthusiasm with our wallets --> they can gradually give us more to buy.

Changes to 4E were not the only thing. The internet as a whole has made books(Novels and sourcebooks) a whole lot easier to get free.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  00:16:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Changes to 4E were not the only thing. The internet as a whole has made books(Novels and sourcebooks) a whole lot easier to get free.

True, but they can adapt to that. What they can't adjust for is people vowing never to buy anything from them again.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  04:09:13  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the new reality and WoTC is never going back to the 10-12 books a year schedule. They've been forced to cut staff and cut budget more and more over the years as Hasbro tries to compete with other IP in the digital world. My theory is that Magic is what allowed WoTC to put out 10-12 books a year for FR. At some point a few years ago, it seems that WoTC reorganized and each division was left to live and die on it's own budget. I could be totally off about that. I can't seem to recall where I read the information that led me to this. But it seems to make sense based on their current strategy.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  00:54:00  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a fan of the novels myself, and I too am disappointed, but I think WotC is interested in other platforms now. This doesn't mean they will stop novels all together, but there are fewer a year, and fewer authors (though I hope that changes).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2015 :  16:10:07  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the lack of new novels really disturbing. SCAG was a mediocre book. If WotC odoesn't want the FR franchise to die a swlo death, they need to revitalize it with a proper FRCS, just like the one from 2001, which was a superb book. Does anyone know what are WotC's plans?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2015 :  23:29:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

. Does anyone know what are WotC's plans?

I don't think even WotC knows the answer to that question.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000