Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ashes of the Tyrant
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  16:30:21  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels-ebooks/ashes-tyrant
I just saw it officially placed in the fiction/novels section. *Heavy breathing* It's coming out on December 29th.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  17:47:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
R.I.P Forgotten Realms logo on novels.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Paran
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  18:51:37  Show Profile Send Paran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

R.I.P Erevis and Vasen Cale.

Fixed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  20:37:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

R.I.P Forgotten Realms logo on novels.

That's been gone for a while.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  02:35:44  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this series, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed by the outcome in the Nine Hells. WOTC has this obsession with Asmodeus ruling the Hells unchallenged, so they refuse to write in any intrigue. Even when other writers do, they just overrule it (like when Paul Kemp allowed Mephistopheles some successful scheming, WOTC just went and made Asmodeus a Greater God to assure that none of the other archdevils can ever win).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  02:42:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I love this series, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed by the outcome in the Nine Hells. WOTC has this obsession with Asmodeus ruling the Hells unchallenged, so they refuse to write in any intrigue. Even when other writers do, they just overrule it (like when Paul Kemp allowed Mephistopheles some successful scheming, WOTC just went and made Asmodeus a Greater God to assure that none of the other archdevils can ever win).

To be fair, whenever it comes to ''big things'' it is always WotC to enforce a decision, because it is always they that decide what the FR must look like. When novels removed gods, it was because they ordered their authors to make that happen, and when it comes to certain things, they want to keep the status quo, no matter what (see their recent statement about the drow matriarchy, basically saying that whatever will happen in RAS' next books, the matrons *will* win). The outcome of this series has been established long ago, as they wrote the MM.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2015 :  01:51:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to this novel a) because its Erin M.Evans, b) because her Characters are going to the region that used to be the old empires, turned returned abier, and I'm hoping she'll cover how the Sundering effects that region. We know there is a side bar on Mulhorand's Gods in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide so that's a sign Mulhorand may have returned.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  04:46:26  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

To be fair, whenever it comes to ''big things'' it is always WotC to enforce a decision, because it is always they that decide what the FR must look like. When novels removed gods, it was because they ordered their authors to make that happen, and when it comes to certain things, they want to keep the status quo, no matter what (see their recent statement about the drow matriarchy, basically saying that whatever will happen in RAS' next books, the matrons *will* win). The outcome of this series has been established long ago, as they wrote the MM.

You're quite right. Admittedly, that announcement about the matron mothers deflated me some. I find it ridiculous that the matriarchy can supposedly never be overthrown, nor can the ruling dynasty, in a city that we're repeatedly reminded is the very essence of chaos. But in real life, I find it even more ridiculous that anybody at WOTC would dare to SPOIL the outcome of Salvatore's series. Everybody's hyped because the end of the last book plants the seeds for an uprising in Menzo. Now some idiot comes out and tells us before the story has run its course, that the uprising will fail. That's disgraceful.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  04:48:10  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I'm looking forward to this novel a) because its Erin M.Evans, b) because her Characters are going to the region that used to be the old empires, turned returned abier, and I'm hoping she'll cover how the Sundering effects that region. We know there is a side bar on Mulhorand's Gods in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide so that's a sign Mulhorand may have returned.

I am indeed looking forward to that. Since Tymanther is going bye bye anyway, I'd like to finally get a good look at it. Maybe they will be there during the Sundering, so we can see Tymanther, but also get to see Returned Mulhorand.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  19:20:29  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The outcome of Asmodeus' divine status was already spoiled with a MM preview anyway
quote:
a sign Mulhorand may have returned.
it did an the abeir lands are gone. However the brimstone series is a few Yeats before the current date oft the realms, so maybe we'll witness the re-exchange in the novel

Edited by - Mirtek on 26 Oct 2015 19:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Paran
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  20:25:50  Show Profile Send Paran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You're quite right. Admittedly, that announcement about the matron mothers deflated me some. I find it ridiculous that the matriarchy can supposedly never be overthrown, nor can the ruling dynasty, in a city that we're repeatedly reminded is the very essence of chaos. But in real life, I find it even more ridiculous that anybody at WOTC would dare to SPOIL the outcome of Salvatore's series. Everybody's hyped because the end of the last book plants the seeds for an uprising in Menzo. Now some idiot comes out and tells us before the story has run its course, that the uprising will fail. That's disgraceful.

Yeah, a real bummer. I get they don't want to change the status quo but still... At least overthrow House Baenre, and have more nobles inflate the priesthood ranks with their own family, and loyal agents.
I expect more red shirt dwarves to bite it, we'll be sad for a minute, Drizzt will forget about Menzo, then we're heading in the next trilogy where Bruenor tries to become king for the hundred time.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  03:44:06  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paran

quote:

Yeah, a real bummer. I get they don't want to change the status quo but still... At least overthrow House Baenre, and have more nobles inflate the priesthood ranks with their own family, and loyal agents.
I expect more red shirt dwarves to bite it, we'll be sad for a minute, Drizzt will forget about Menzo, then we're heading in the next trilogy where Bruenor tries to become king for the hundred time.

I love the drow, but I'm sick of reading about Menzo at this point. The War of the Spider Queen was the perfect time for it to fall: Lolth goes silent, Gromph is taken out of the fight, and tanurruks, duergar, and the Jaezred Chaulssin (who are awesome btw) all attack at once. That's not enough to topple it.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Well, now we have a Menzo that is wrecked from Demogorgon rampaging through it. There are other demon lord wreaking havoc throughout the Underdark, and they may work their way through Menzo too. (We also know from other spoilers that Orcus has an undead illithid hive under his control, and plans to do who knows what with it.) On top of that, Quenthel has overreached badly and has the whole city furious at her. Drizzt and Co. are on their way back to Menzo (and Catti Brie is now uber powerful). Plus, Gromph and all of Bregan Daerthe have declared war on the matron mothers.

If Menzo isn't ready to fall, or at least change the power structure, at this point, then I don't want to read about it anymore. There is not going to be a bigger perfect storm than this to overthrow the ruling order, so any subsequent "threats" to the status quo would be meaningless. Only Lolth is crazy enough to have an unchanging city of chaos (and I'm sure she is cackling insidiously at the irony).

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  04:06:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They basically said that the matriarchy is iconic and isn't going anywhere, so there's room for Baenre to fall. If they wanted to have ''realistic'' development, you'd think that in 10000 years a lot of drow would have ditched Lolth, for obvious reasons, especially when alternatives are available.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Oct 2015 04:07:05
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  02:11:45  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

The outcome of Asmodeus' divine status was already spoiled with a MM preview anyway
quote:
a sign Mulhorand may have returned.
it did an the abeir lands are gone. However the brimstone series is a few Yeats before the current date oft the realms, so maybe we'll witness the re-exchange in the novel

Spoiler

Not all of Abier went back to Abier, Tymanther is still around, but reduced in size, primarily from war with a returned Unther, not stuff shifting back to Abier. The Untherites really hate the Dragonborn, it appears Unther suffered greatly in Abier, likely at the hands of Dragonborn.

But perhaps as a mercy to 4e fans and Erin M. Evans they partly spared Tymanther and Airspur the capital of Akanul.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2015 :  20:07:08  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now wondering if Ashes of the Tyrant will touch upon the Unther/Tymanther war.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2015 :  22:01:02  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

But perhaps as a mercy to 4e fans and Erin M. Evans they partly spared Tymanther and Airspur the capital of Akanul.
Maybe, but the whole "The intermingling of worlds brought about by the Spellplague also comes to an end, as what belongs to Abeir returns to Abeir," thing is now also dead before it even started
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  01:10:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuff came back from Abier, like Lantan, Unther, Halruaa, but not much went back TO Abier, basically just Return Abier Contient, maybe, if we go by the SCAG, but the important stuff is back, so I don't mind if Tymanther sticks around. I actually like the whole eat your cake and have it too situation.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  01:30:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just reread the last part of the last Dragon+, and now that I've read the SCAG, it has new meaning. When I first read that Mehen is summoned in the wake of the war I had assumed it meant the Netherese War, but it seems clear it meant the Unther Tymanther war.

It also says it ties into the rage of demons campaign and to show more of what happened during the Sundering outside the Sword Coast.

So now I'm even more excited about this book, it'll make a great christmas gift to myself.

I wonder which demon Prince lurks beneath the Old Empires.

Edited by - Gyor on 11 Nov 2015 01:31:00
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  01:45:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually cool, thanks for sharing.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2015 :  04:35:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. If you can't access the Dragon+, this info is also on Erin's blog I've found out.

Next issue of Dragon+ will have an interview with Erin.

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  21:41:51  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a sample chapter up on wizards.com http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels-ebooks/ashes-tyrant. It skips the prologue, FYI.

Best,
Erin

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  07:02:27  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

There's a sample chapter up on wizards.com http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels-ebooks/ashes-tyrant. It skips the prologue, FYI.

Best,
Erin

Read it. Loved it. Want the book now! Love the cover too. Why is Farideh wearing such a mournful expression?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  23:06:59  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really cool, thanks.

Spoiler alert

From the last paragraph it sounds like God King Gilgeam has made some sort of alliance with Grazzt the Dark Prince.

I looked up maurezhi and they sound like nasty demonic love child of a Doppelganger and a Ghoul.

This is going to be an interesting book.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  04:54:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw after reading chapter 1 I get how the books title works on multiple levels.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  19:33:21  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Best,
Erin

Read it. Loved it. Want the book now! Love the cover too. Why is Farideh wearing such a mournful expression?

Huh. I read it as "done with your [expletive]." But she's got a lot to be pissed and/or glum about, if you've read along this far.

Real answer is "artisitic license," of course

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  03:50:55  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does time move so slowly when you want a book to get released?

I feel like there are millions of copies in some secret Indiana Jones warehouse, taunting me.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2016 :  23:13:21  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you interested: ASHES OF THE TYRANT is available now!

Here is a series of links to blog posts and podcasts about writing and dragonborn and other sundry issues: http://slushlush.com/2015/12/ashes-of-the-tyrant-roundup/

I will also be doing an AMA on r/fantasy on Wednesday, so come check it out.

Lastly, the Goodreads FR book club is reading ASHES OF THE TYRANT, starting this week. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/117155-the-sundered-book-club

Best,
Erin

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000