Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 thunder lizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  21:29:38  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

IIRC, dinosaurs inhabit the Stonelands (northern marches/border wilds of Cormyr). Chult, too. There is a dino totem barbarian clan among the Uthgardt, I think.
So, how common are dinos in Fsaerun? How widespread? Just pockets of certain types in specific regions, or they could be encountered in many regions?

This is both canon/published FR question and a home game question.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  21:58:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As best I know they are only found in certain regions, in part because of climate and also food supply. You would be hard pressed to find one any where near Waterdeep (too cold I think).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  22:05:38  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

As best I know they are only found in certain regions, in part because of climate and also food supply. You would be hard pressed to find one any where near Waterdeep (too cold I think).

That makes sense.

Unless maybe the dinos in question are homeothermic, like birds...

There are lizard-men up in the North, as I recall. The Mere of Dead Men, right?

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  22:07:06  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine dinos would have been more common in the age when dragons ruled Faerun.

And maybe then an Ice Age and the rise of 'prehistoric' mammals, in the time of the giants?

Does that fit the established chronology?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2015 :  03:14:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of these days I'm going to have fun with an old idea of mine: an awakened velociraptor priest of Malar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2015 :  16:37:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One of these days I'm going to have fun with an old idea of mine: an awakened velociraptor priest of Malar.

Sounds fun Wooly...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2015 :  20:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there an adventure in an early issue of Dungeon about dinosaurs in the sewers of Waterdeep?
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2015 :  22:22:01  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

Wasn't there an adventure in an early issue of Dungeon about dinosaurs in the sewers of Waterdeep?

"Of Nests and Nations", I think.

EDIT: No, that was a Mystara adventure. The Waterdeep one is definitely about dinos in the sewers, but I had the wrong title.

This one:
… And a Dozen Eggs
By Randy Maxwell
AD&D
Levels 1-3

Issue #30

Edited by - combatmedic on 11 Oct 2015 22:26:07
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  12:21:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some dinos in the "Lizard Marsh" near Daggerford, just south of Waterdeep. They first apear in the Under Illefarn accessory, and I think they are mentioned again in the boxed set The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier.

EDIT: In the back of the boxed set map there is a huge Encounter table which includes dinos among the creatures you can find in your travels.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 13 Oct 2015 13:40:28
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  14:47:30  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There really should have been dinosaurs in the Lost Vale! The concept of the Vale and the extra-planar inhabitants with Dragonbait and his people would have worked so well for dinosaurs to be there. Even if Chult is the real dino ground for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  07:30:23  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
N5 Under Illefarn does pretty firmly establish dinosaurs (and other prehistoric reptiles) in the Lizard Marsh. The current science seems to lean towards dinosaurs being warm-blooded, but I've still extrapolated their presence here (and their not having spread across the North in greater numbers) to a sort of "lost world" climate bubble in the heart of the Marsh - nothing drastic, but reliably mild compared to the surrounding coastal area (which is temperate up as far as Neverwinter according to FR5).

(Out of game, I'd also point out that N5 is by Steve Perrin - best known for creating Runequest, where "thunder lizards" are definitely a thing - and that FR5 is by Jennell Jaquays, best known for writing for Judges Guild's Wilderlands line, where dinos can also be found.)

Edited by - DestroyYouAlot on 29 Nov 2015 07:33:58
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  10:54:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That sounds groovy, Wooly. Do you have the Complete Guide to Velociraptors from Goodman Games?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 29 Nov 2015 11:41:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  14:59:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:

That sounds groovy, Wooly. Do you have the Complete Guide to Velociraptors from Goodman Games?

Never even heard of it... I first had my idea back in the days of 2E, when I thought up a drow breeding program that resulted in velociraptors that were more intelligent and telepathic. But I eventually scrapped that idea; the way I was trying to do it was unworkable. It didn't reach Madcoil levels of being ridiculous, but it was a little too far out there.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  16:58:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's been mentioned you can find them frozen in ice in the far North. Spine of the World area perhaps?

In the South, you'd think you would see the flying sorts in places as they attempt to spread. I'd imagine they get their numbers whittled down quite fast however.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  02:54:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dinosaurs are pretty much limited to Chult as far as I've ever seen in the Realms - but that certainly doesn't mean you cant have a region with them surviving - like a land of the lost in the mountains. If you are into Raptors, there was once a Dungeon Magazine that had a MC write up for them specifically. No clue which and not too keen on looking though 200 magazines to find it though :)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  12:54:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's actually on a Dragon Magazine. #187, IIRC.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  21:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I had remembered one of the Uthgardt Tribes using Thunderbeasts as thier totem. A search of Tribes on the FR Wiki confirmed this. It also mentions that the Thunderbeast Tribe guarded the secret that Thunderbeasts (Dinosaurs) Still exist deep in the High Forrest.
As for the Enlightened Raptor Idea, I was part of a short-lived Spelljammer game where on of the players convinced the DM to let him play an Alien based on an intelligent Sentient Raptor. We based a lot of it on what info we could find on Saurials.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  22:14:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

As for the Enlightened Raptor Idea, I was part of a short-lived Spelljammer game where on of the players convinced the DM to let him play an Alien based on an intelligent Sentient Raptor. We based a lot of it on what info we could find on Saurials.

My inspiration for the awakened velociraptor Malarite priest was based mostly on how the 'raptors were depicted in Jurassic Park - pretty much the ultimate predator. With Malar's focus on the hunt, I think he'd practically wet himself at the thought of having velociraptor followers.

Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2015 :  22:30:47  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WR, the raptor priest sounds hardcore!

"Clever girl."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000