Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A collaborative Forgotten Realms done here.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:34:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Unless you have another standard non novel event that means myrkul is in the crown of horns anyway (or at least a part of him). That way it doesn't matter if you use the ToT or not, the important world changing outcomes are the same ( just without the god nonsense).

It's early days yet but I reckon it's achievable to have a base setting that advances along the timeline without novel events that changes the world in a way that is compatible with the novels for comparison.

After all the novels and RSEs have very few permanent outcomes, they are all usually undone sooner or later by other events or artefacts. Things always change, people die (azoun), nations fall (tethyr), new nations appear (silver marches), even new gods, if you have plausible reasons for those events to occur then it I imagine they would be accepted by those who do not want the novel and Rse version of events

So how do you explain Myrkul happily being an artifact and not a god, and have that reconcile with him being a god and never having lost his power? How do you reconcile the destruction of a place with it never having been destroyed? How do you reconcile Cyric being a god and yet never having had the chance to ascend if the Time of Troubles didn't happen?

You can't have it both ways. Either something happened, or it didn't. And you can't keep things straight if Person A details one area and said some events didn't happen, but Person B details a neighboring area and the effects of those same events.

For this project to have any kind of success, all participants have to agree to one particular set of events and go forward from there. Otherwise, it's not a unified setting, it's just another random collection of fanlore.

And given that novel events are canon and have been referenced in later source material, the only way to entirely excise the novels is to roll back to the OGB or earlier and start over from there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:48:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing is impossible. Cyric himself does not live on toril so his status does not matter. What matters is that his followers are in dark hold and that he caused a schism in banes church.
God A can easily have his name changed to God B, it is the effects on Toril that he caused that are the problem.
Thankfully the schism in banes church was already well underway so we write up details of those places and events but only involve non orthodox and orthodox banites.
Where you read about orthodox banites you can easily substitute cyriciists. The ruin of Zhentil keep was actually cause by mans goon attempting to limit fzouls growing power within the zhentarim.
The end result is a schism in the church and the zhentarim, which god caused it is immaterial.
Same for myrkul. Gods don't live on faerun so it's not important what happens to him. What is important is that a new church appears worshipping a god of the dead. So Jergals clergy oust myrkul in his temples around faerun and if you want jergal can be trapped in his crown (it was originally an artefact of jergal anyway that he repurposed) and if not then he makes a great god of undead, and you could do both.

Like I said, it's early days, but it's only the events on toril that we should be concerned with, and even then only the permanent ones (like places destroyed, people killed, organisations changed).

If all the end results are the same then what does it matter if the how you get there is slightly different.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:51:03  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Unless you have another standard non novel event that means myrkul is in the crown of horns anyway (or at least a part of him). That way it doesn't matter if you use the ToT or not, the important world changing outcomes are the same ( just without the god nonsense).

It's early days yet but I reckon it's achievable to have a base setting that advances along the timeline without novel events that changes the world in a way that is compatible with the novels for comparison.

After all the novels and RSEs have very few permanent outcomes, they are all usually undone sooner or later by other events or artefacts. Things always change, people die (azoun), nations fall (tethyr), new nations appear (silver marches), even new gods, if you have plausible reasons for those events to occur then it I imagine they would be accepted by those who do not want the novel and Rse version of events

So how do you explain Myrkul happily being an artifact and not a god, and have that reconcile with him being a god and never having lost his power? How do you reconcile the destruction of a place with it never having been destroyed? How do you reconcile Cyric being a god and yet never having had the chance to ascend if the Time of Troubles didn't happen?

You can't have it both ways. Either something happened, or it didn't. And you can't keep things straight if Person A details one area and said some events didn't happen, but Person B details a neighboring area and the effects of those same events.

For this project to have any kind of success, all participants have to agree to one particular set of events and go forward from there. Otherwise, it's not a unified setting, it's just another random collection of fanlore.

And given that novel events are canon and have been referenced in later source material, the only way to entirely excise the novels is to roll back to the OGB or earlier and start over from there.

All depends on what novels you don't want to include. Some novels would have no change what so ever. Also, certain events can be altered to have a different outcome. Killing Cyric while mortal changes things but not in an earth shattering bad way.

We have the luxury of cherry picking.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:57:34  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Strix

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

I think it's a great idea (always good to give our imagination-muscles a work-out!), but I suggest we wait to see what new info & updates will be included in the forthcoming Sword Coast Aventures Guide.

For example, I`m interested to see what (if any) updates there are for the Moonshaes, the High Forest, Evereska, Cormanthor & Evermeet. In the SCAG, I guess there may well be updates for the Moonshaes & High Forest, but probably not for the other places.

I also think, we should wait til we have info from SCAG. After that we should make some voting for the starting year, cos as I see, the opinions about it are different, some of us want Pre-Spellplague, some want Spellplague times (or 4E times), and some (including me) Post-Sundering. As for me, I think 1490 DR would be the best for this case.

If you are going to use SCAG then you don't need us as that's what Wizards wants you to do anyway. Those who actually do the work with have the most say as that's fair. Dazz and I are going to lead off and anyone who wants to join can. People are are throwing up too many roadblocks to the point where it will never get done. If lonely Johnny likes one thing while everyone else doesn't then guess who won't be getting what they like? If you don't like our version then change it to whatever you like.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  16:23:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

We have the luxury of cherry picking.

There is still the problem of a group deciding on the cherries.

You need to either select a time base or a group base to be able to start to work on such a project.

Time base would likely be end of 2nd (which was not much different then the limited 1st) or end of 3rd.

As for core group I have seen a few names mentioned up scroll. I do not believe all of them have expressed interest in such a project.

Also up scroll was the idea of voting for those to work on this project.

Clearly one way to try to do this would be a nomination scroll as some of those named and not yet named might not wish to be involved in the proposed project because of personal life restrictions or just not in favor of such a task.

If you take this route, I would advise at least one month to find out if proposed users are even willing to serve.

Then you might seek a vote on each to see the community supports all or some of those nominated. Then, if not sooner, you need to decide whom can vote. A user could create many accounts to vote for a nominated person that does not really reflect a true opinion of the community.

Then you need a way to make sure there is no voter fraud. Clearly one way to do it is an open ballot. That is each user posts publicly a yes or no vote. This of course offers the possible problem of some nominated users feeling insulted or less important to the community if not elected.

running a secret ballot or a poll holds the problem of vote stuffing that maybe the moderators can detect some of the times. While I am not sure the extent of tools available to the moderators here, I clearly know that some spammers have used 20 to 30 IPs from 46.???.???.??? to 92.???.???.??? . I would need to check logs better to know how many a single user used and range that was used, however this is conservative based on a site I help moderate.

In the end odds are in the end you will end up with a fan based group effort that not all will like and and might be something the team that builds it will not like at least one part of a compiled project.

In other words, this is a bad idea to be a candlekeep project in my opinion.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  16:26:57  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this is going to be between just a few people then why bring it up? If it's going to be a collaborative approach, then make it one.

However, haven't people been taking what they like and leaving out what they don't for years, anyway?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  16:37:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we could do is do what some scribes do here from time to time anyway: someone has an idea (or several ideas) about a certain aspect of the Realms, and they poat about it here. Others can give then give their in put. I have seen this done before in these halls. Like how people sometimes post their homebrew ideas.

It's true that you aren't going to please everyone, but I worry that that this could lead to a lot of argument and infighting.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  16:51:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

If this is going to be between just a few people then why bring it up? If it's going to be a collaborative approach, then make it one.

However, haven't people been taking what they like and leaving out what they don't for years, anyway?

Corellon, I do apologize for forgetting you were nominated and had some interest in a proposal (When I posted before that some proposed had not even been seen in this scroll.

The problem with collaborative is still deciding on whom would do so. The entire community can not fully agree on anything. Some like 4th Edition and even some like parts of 5th Edition in part viewed as removing some errors of 4th. I still have problems with certain aspects of 3rd Edition which I will not repeat.

The basic goal of the scroll is to fix where the Realms started to feel incorrect, each user however has a different starting point.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  16:58:46  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vote is to decide who will be the judges who give the final say into what makes it into the finished piece. Not a vote to see who works on it.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  17:05:53  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Corellon, I do apologize for forgetting you were nominated and had some interest in a proposal (When I posted before that some proposed had not even been seen in this scroll.

The problem with collaborative is still deciding on whom would do so. The entire community can not fully agree on anything. Some like 4th Edition and even some like parts of 5th Edition in part viewed as removing some errors of 4th. I still have problems with certain aspects of 3rd Edition which I will not repeat.

The basic goal of the scroll is to fix where the Realms started to feel incorrect, each user however has a different starting point.

I didn't even know I was nominated lol. I think I was writing the post when you posted yours, which is why mine appeared after yours.

And I agree with you. While it might be fun, it could also get ugly fast. We would all have to think hard of a way to make it work.

@Shadowsoul: oh I see. That makes more sense

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  18:11:07  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think it's a great idea (always good to give our imagination-muscles a work-out!), but I suggest we wait to see what new info & updates will be included in the forthcoming Sword Coast Aventures Guide.

For example, I`m interested to see what (if any) updates there are for the Moonshaes, the High Forest, Evereska, Cormanthor & Evermeet. In the SCAG, I guess there may well be updates for the Moonshaes & High Forest, but probably not for the other places.

I also think, we should wait til we have info from SCAG. After that we should make some voting for the starting year, cos as I see, the opinions about it are different, some of us want Pre-Spellplague, some want Spellplague times (or 4E times), and some (including me) Post-Sundering. As for me, I think 1490 DR would be the best for this case.

If you are going to use SCAG then you don't need us as that's what Wizards wants you to do anyway. Those who actually do the work with have the most say as that's fair. Dazz and I are going to lead off and anyone who wants to join can. People are are throwing up too many roadblocks to the point where it will never get done. If lonely Johnny likes one thing while everyone else doesn't then guess who won't be getting what they like? If you don't like our version then change it to whatever you like.

I'm going to use only some useful lore information from SCAG, and nothing more. How much useful info is there (or maybe nothing at all)...we will see very soon. So, if you want to lead this "idea" with Dazzlerdal, can you tell me which year (or era) do you want to use as "starting point"? As I saw, Dazzlerdal is focused on Pre-Spellplague times.

Edited by - Jeff Strix on 09 Oct 2015 18:11:52
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:18:38  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm going to use only some useful lore information from SCAG, and nothing more. How much useful info is there (or maybe nothing at all)...we will see very soon. So, if you want to lead this "idea" with Dazzlerdal, can you tell me which year (or era) do you want to use as "starting point"? As I saw, Dazzlerdal is focused on Pre-Spellplague times.

Dazz has mentioned starting before the Spellplague. I am still looking over several bits he has come up with. Very nice work!

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:22:02  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the first things I would like to discuss is Mystra, the Chosen and the whole concept.

I believe Mystra should be a completely neutral deity who's only goal is to preserve "all" forms of magic. I think the concept of the Chosen is flawed because the goddess is needlessly exposing herself to harm. She doesn't need to put part of her essence into mortals because then she needs to give them super powers in order to protect it when she could just protect herself on her home plane and not make the whole concept of magic so easily taken and abused.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:32:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or if she has Chosen, they can be like the "Chosen" of other deities. They would serve a similar function, but not necessarily carry bits of her power.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:43:50  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or if she has Chosen, they can be like the "Chosen" of other deities. They would serve a similar function, but not necessarily carry bits of her power.

That sounds good.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:54:30  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there should be one Chosen who's also called The Magister. I think this should be the Blackstaff.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  20:01:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the other "magic" deities, such as Azuth? If we decide to make Mystra the -only- deity who dealswith magic, then Azuth could be like a servitor of some sort to Mystra. Or, we can keep Azuth in his current role.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  20:41:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

People are are throwing up too many roadblocks to the point where it will never get done.

I should like to say that I'm not trying to throw up a roadblock -- I'm offering a bit of advice. A collaborative project that doesn't have everyone on the same page is not one that's going to succeed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Abeir
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  05:32:12  Show Profile Send Abeir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about the other "magic" deities, such as Azuth? If we decide to make Mystra the -only- deity who dealswith magic, then Azuth could be like a servitor of some sort to Mystra. Or, we can keep Azuth in his current role.

I personally think that if she is just a neutral overseer of all magic/the Weave, lesser deities could just oversee certain aspects or types of magic. As an example, during the ToT when Talos tried to use the aspect named Malyk to gain control over wild magic. I kind of like the idea of a demigod of wild magic under Mystra, one who isn't a rival but that she butts heads with as his antics/plots constantly threaten (but never destroy) the integrity of the Weave.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2015 :  03:01:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Don't forget this book is only about 160 pages so it won't be containing much.

I'm with you guys. Call on me in whatever capacity you'd like. I am a technical writer by trade. Editing is one of my strengths. I specialize in the North, Silver Marches.

I'm not exactly sure what your specific vision is but I'm great with no ToT, pre-ToT, no Spellplague etc. For me the further back the better the lore is. In my own game, the canon events form about 1372 or 1375 onward did not happen.

I think we should really push to enlist George (or secure his permission) so that we have an excellent historical context in which to place the lore we want to see.

I'm also a huge fan of more modularity.

Edited by - Cards77 on 15 Oct 2015 03:05:14
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2015 :  03:23:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally wouldn't mind keeping at least some aspects of the ToT (Kelemvor being the god of death, Cyric ascending to divinity). If we didn't want the actual ToT to take place, we could find another way to explain those events. I don't like Cyric, but I like him as a god, if that makes sense.

I would also prefer the god of death to be neutral, like Kelemvor. I think he makes a fair deity.

I'm more for moving forward rather than ret-conning a bunch of things, but if we want to do away with the Spellplague, I could get behind that, at least.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  18:57:22  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well Ed likely could not help with an alternate realms. He sold the rights with retaining a few rights on adding to Lore, that (WotC can over rule at this time.)

actually with the new DM's Guild, he now can (and is!)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  03:39:19  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm redoing the ToT in my home campaign right now. There will be no Kelemvor, no Midnight, and likely no Cyric. Myrkul is neutral (with evil tendencies). So it has some of the things that some of you seem to like. But there will still be a ToT.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  04:00:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Kelemvor fan myself,but if you make Myrkul neutral, then maybe he can take the place of Kel (as I think the deity of the dead should be neutral)

Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  04:43:05  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll have Bhaal take over some of the more evil aspects of Myrkul. Kelemvor's okay, but doesn't inspire me, and I definitely don't like Midnight.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000