Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Sword Coast Legends: What are you going to play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  02:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

So what character class and race are you going to play through the campaign??

Im thinking either a Human Paladin of Bane (they have made evil characters playable so Im keen to see what additional options I get) or a Female Drow elf (its been stronly been hinted that Drow will be a player race) Paladin of Ellistraee

So what are YOU going to play?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  04:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first run through will probably be an elven rogue. It's my favorite race / class combo, Though a Fighter with a street urchin background for picking locks and such is tempting.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  04:47:15  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First run will be an elven Oath of the Ancients paladin.

I hope the devs introduce multi-classing in due course.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  12:18:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarven warrior as always. :)
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  20:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan of the cleric/ranger and mage/thief combos, often half-elf female. But we'll have to see just how much of the actual D&D rules will be implemented. A warlock/wizard could be cool too.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  02:18:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, hadn't heard of this. Any idea of price?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  02:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, hadn't heard of this. Any idea of price?

Steam is selling it for $35 USD

The game it self is like Baldurs gate in that you play from above

But it also comes with DMs construction kit where you can make your own modules

You can play the module with 4 players working as a party and also as the DM where you can jump into the Monsters and take control of them

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  08:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Todays stream covering character creation

Class

Paladin
Fighter
Cleric
Ranger
Rogue
Wizard

Race
Dwarves
-Shield
-Gold
Elf
-Moon elf
-Sun elf

Half elf
Halfling
-Lightfoot
-Strongheart
Human
-Human Varient

Background

Acolyte
+1 Wisdom
+3 to all heals given
Starting gold 15
Scroll of Regen x2
Scroll of Shatter

Criminal
Starting gold 50
+1 Dex
+2 Lockpicking

Pirate
Sage
Starting golg 10
+1 Inteligence
+1 to Fire and Lightning, Force, PSychic and Thunder damage when dealt

Sailor
Soldier
Spy
Urchin

Deties

Auril
Azuth
Bhaal
Chauntea
Corelion
Gond
Helm
Ilmater
Kelemvor
Lathander
Torm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDk6qgO3Po

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 04 Sep 2015 22:53:40
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  12:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't ordered this as my preference in 5E would be a gold elven bard with the college of valor. I think I'll just wait and see how well it does and what is released for the game in the future before I devote money to it.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  13:16:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

From Todays stream covering character creation

Class

Paladin
Fighter
Cleric
Ranger
Rogue
Wizard

Race
Dwarves
-Shield
-Gold
Elf
-Moon elf
Half elf
Halfling
-Lightfoot
-Strongheart
Human
-Human Varient

Background

Acolyte
+1 Wisdom
+3 to all heals given
Starting gold 15
Scroll of Regen x2
Scroll of Shatter

Criminal
Starting gold 50
+1 Dex
+2 Lockpicking

Pirate
Sage
Starting golg 10
+1 Inteligence
+1 to Fire and Lightning, Force, PSychic and Thunder damage when dealt

Sailor
Soldier
Spy
Urchin

Deties

Auril
Azuth
Bhaal
Chauntea
Corelion
Gond
Helm
Ilmater
Kelemvor
Lathander
Torm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDk6qgO3Po

I really don't feel like going through 1hr video, so, if I may ask, is that all? Looks like players are given *very* narrow choice.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  15:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 6 classe are probably final for the core game however there is an extra race and an extra class that they are adding in the Rage of Demons expansion which will drop on the same day the game comes out They havent announced what the RoD extras will be

Now the races that havent been included are

Gnomes
Dragonborn
Tieflings

They also havent included Drow as a Player race (although its actually a subrace)

Given its the Rage of Demons expansion pack my money is probably on the following

Extra race: Tiefling (although Gnomes including Deep Gnomes and possibly drow are an option to)

Extra race: Id put my money on Warlock

Neither of those 2 are confirmed and are purely my speculation

Class customization wise there looked to be more options for class features than there is for in the 5ed Players handbook

Cleric trees

Divine
Righteous Champion
Light
Life
War
Protection
Martial
Skills and Prof

For example in the 5th edition Players handbook the Ranger class has 2 specialities

In SCL there are

Archery (Focus on a Robin Hood style ranger)
Beastmaster (Focus on animal comps)
Hunter (focus on stealth and also Favored enemey)
Nature (focus on Ranger spells)
Two weapon fighting (Focus on a... well I think you all know who this is for)
Martial: Allows you to improve the Ranger ie you can progress through armor and weapons paths and for example give the ranger the ability to use
Warden: Focus on using spells to enhance martial abilities

Wizards

Arcane: Seems to work like a spellbook there more you unlock the more you know
Frost: Focus on cold spells
Lightning: focus on electricity spells
Flame Focus on Fire
Manipulator: Focus on Charm/Illusion spells
Transmuter: Protective spells
Summoner: Summoning spells
You can cross train between the above or you can specialize in a single tree

Theres also a Skills and Proficiencys tree that might be common to the Ranger and Wizard class that where shown off. They havent included Multiclassing in the game but this tree might be the way you can do it. Basicly this tree allows you to break class rules (Which is kind of what multiclassing does) A Wizard can unlock heavy armor and say use martial weapons if you where looking to create a Bladesinger in the game

Alot of the video was showing off Graphical stuff which I cant really describe but I will say there is ALOT scope for gear customization you could change the color of just about everything your character starts with. On the DMs side of things they can do the same for NPCs and monsters

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  15:44:14  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watching the video, the following are mentioned

Deities: 18-20
Backgrounds: 20

Races: Sun Elf
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  23:35:23  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After watching it I was a little unsure of how much I would like the game, I really want the rest system to be used like in the Baldur's Gate and NwN game series.

I initially thought I was gonna go for a wizard or a cleric on my first play-through but then a saw that you didn't have a spell book but had to get your spells with lvl-up points instead of learning them throughout the game, same with the cleric who doesn't have a complete list of spells but is limited to the ones he chooses each time he/she levels up. That takes a lot of the game away from me. When i first played either BG or NWN, I played as a caster and I loved gaining new spells and increasing my spell repertoire over time than having to choose which spells to prepare depending on where I was and what I was fighting. Now I won't have that, some spells which are only useful in certain situations would be worthless compared to spells that are more versatile since I'll be limited in the number of spells I can have by lvl-up points. In Baldur's Gate if I wanted to have lots of different spells I had to go to the wizard shops and search through all the containers and dead enemies for new spells, I'm going to miss that.

Now I guess that if the extra class from the DLC is a warlock that's gonna be what I'll roll with.

Hopefully the game will be modable and someone can make it so spells can be learned through scrolls, enemy spell-books, and so on.

So far my favorite game that has come out this year is Pillars of Eternity, and I love how the spells are handled there, you learn them by acquiring new spell-books by defeating enemy wizards. And you have to be careful with your spells as you can only rest a limited amount of times before having to restock on camp supplies.
Also the cipher class there is a great take on a psionicist-like class in an rpg game and it feels kind of like a mix between a 2ed and 3d ed psionicist/psychic warrior kind of class.

I wish SCL would take after that game a bit more, rather than going for a cool-down based system.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  23:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bit the bullet and pre-ordered, against my better judgment, merely because I want to support a continuing presence of non-mmo D&D games. The game plainly will not match classics like the Baldur's Gate trilogy but beggars can't be choosers here.
My "main character" will be an elf wizard which I've done in my first run of every D&D CRPG since I played the real original NWN, that was hosted on AOL in the early 90s. I'll admit though that I suspect the game is going to be very buggy and underwhelming.

Edited by - Veritas on 07 Sep 2015 23:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  23:16:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

I wish SCL would take after that game a bit more, rather than going for a cool-down based system.

I feel that a cool-down based system is better than a spells/day one for PC games. As far as I remeber, resting was trivial in games like NWN and you basically never ran out of spells, making the whole thing pointless. This system could work in a way similar to Planescape: Torment, where you actually had to find a suitable place to rest. But not all people would like it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Sep 2015 23:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  01:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered, against my better judgment, merely because I want to support a continuing presence of non-mmo D&D games. The game plainly will not match classics like the Baldur's Gate trilogy but beggars can't be choosers here.
My "main character" will be an elf wizard which I've done in my first run of every D&D CRPG since I played the real original NWN, that was hosted on AOL in the early 90s. I'll admit though that I suspect the game is going to be very buggy and underwhelming.

Hopefully it wont be they did delay the game for almost a month so it could get more development time. Also its not a FPS where there going to push your graphics card and its drivers.

But even if SCL has some bugs it hopefully wont be on par with the worst FR Game ever made ie Pool of Radience Attack on Myth Drannor a game that was so poorly made that if you uninstalled it from your computer it would also remove vital files from your Operating system

NO THATS A BUG TO SCREAM ABOUT

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  22:06:07  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be picking up the game, but I'm very leery about it. Both developers working on it are very "meh" and haven't really put anything out in the past that was "great". I've been wanting a D&D game to support for a while though. Neverwinter is such a...let down.

Edit: Hit enter too soon, but I am not sure what I'll be playing quite yet.

Edited by - Hippo on 08 Sep 2015 22:06:50
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  22:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hopefully it wont be they did delay the game for almost a month so it could get more development time. Also its not a FPS where there going to push your graphics card and its drivers.

But even if SCL has some bugs it hopefully wont be on par with the worst FR Game ever made ie Pool of Radience Attack on Myth Drannor a game that was so poorly made that if you uninstalled it from your computer it would also remove vital files from your Operating system

NO THATS A BUG TO SCREAM ABOUT

I remember that bug all too well, and the emergency hotfix that had to go out. Although I bought PoR:AoMD at release, I didn't get a chance to install it right away and enthusiastically thanked Tymora that I heard about that bug before I did. What a terrible way to try to introduce 3e to the then burgeoning D&D CRPG market.

Edited by - Veritas on 08 Sep 2015 22:32:56
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  00:31:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember that bug. I do remember my save files getting corrupted when I was plowing through the game. Lost so much time I just quit.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  00:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another video update

http://www.twitch.tv/swordcoastlegends/v/15381302

Devs show off the Evermoors in the Single Player campaign

Arachnophobia: CONFIRMED

Also for those of you sitting on the fence, this weekend the DM side of the game will be released to people who preordered the Super collectors edition and the devs are encoouraging people to stream it. The Devs will also be playing fan created modules on the official stream.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  02:13:12  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
preordered the Super collectors edition

That the deluxe or the collectors edition?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  02:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hippo

quote:
preordered the Super collectors edition

That the deluxe or the collectors edition?

Members of the Design Council (an oddly fancy name for people who pre-order the Limited Edition Collector’s or Campaign Collector’s versions) will be able to play from September 11-13th

A second phase opens up between September 18-20th for all other pre-orderers.

These periods will allow players early access to the Dungeon Master modes of Campaign Creation and Dungeon Crawl. This will let you play around with the toolset and create your own adventures. The Story Campaign will not be available in the early access phase to prevent spoilers getting out.

A third phase goes live between September 24-29th, where Design Council members will be able to get early access to the story.

29th September Game releases everyone can play DM side, Dungeon crawls and story campaign

I bought Digital deluxe so Ill get access to the DM tool set and Dungeon crawls on the 18th and access to story mode mode along with everyone else on the 29th

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  03:00:44  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the people who spent $240 or $350 get to mess around with the DM stuff early. That's a hefty chunk of change to drop.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  04:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So the people who spent $240 or $350 get to mess around with the DM stuff early. That's a hefty chunk of change to drop.

its actually not that bad as you are buying 5 copies of the game a solid Garguantuan/Colossal size Balor mini, and a map of the Sword coast (judging y the picture its framed to)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  05:20:45  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
5 copies of the game

No one here has 4 other friends to share the copies with though!

quote:
a solid Garguantuan/Colossal size Balor mini, and a map of the Sword coast (judging y the picture its framed to)

I would like to get my hands on the miniature, but I don't know if the cost for it is worth it. The map I don't really care for as it's cloth and I think that the frame look is just part of the outline and it's not actually framed.

I don't know if a miniature and map are worth an additional $180 though. I couldn't find a non-rendered version of the miniature. Have you seen one?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  06:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
5 copies of the game

No one here has 4 other friends to share the copies with though!

quote:
a solid Garguantuan/Colossal size Balor mini, and a map of the Sword coast (judging y the picture its framed to)

I would like to get my hands on the miniature, but I don't know if the cost for it is worth it. The map I don't really care for as it's cloth and I think that the frame look is just part of the outline and it's not actually framed.

I don't know if a miniature and map are worth an additional $180 though. I couldn't find a non-rendered version of the miniature. Have you seen one?

Im really hoping the map turns up in Sword Coast Adentures in November

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  00:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are streams up now of people playing Dungeon crawls from SCL

http://www.twitch.tv/swordcoastlegends/v/15676973

The design team play fan made modules

They also plan to roll out new character classes (Monk and Walocks where mentioned)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 13 Sep 2015 00:04:32
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  02:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like a spiritual successor to FRUA more than NWN. You can't pull off persistent worlds and looks geared to funneling players right into the dungeons. The old SSI games were along the same way, fun and atmospheric but not all that much text. The game looks like it can be quite fun so long as expectations are managed not to think of it as world building.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  05:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

It looks like a spiritual successor to FRUA more than NWN. You can't pull off persistent worlds and looks geared to funneling players right into the dungeons. The old SSI games were along the same way, fun and atmospheric but not all that much text. The game looks like it can be quite fun so long as expectations are managed not to think of it as world building.

THe Early access has been restricted

Not all the content is in the early access they deliberately didnt include the cities tile sets and some of the monsters as they have ties to the Campaign story

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  20:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
THe Early access has been restricted

Not all the content is in the early access they deliberately didnt include the cities tile sets and some of the monsters as they have ties to the Campaign story

I'm not really referring to the tilesets. The game doesn't really seem to have the tools to support a very in-depth development of cities from an RP perspective. I simply believe that FRUA is much more of a representative experience than NWN in terms of the experience of playing player modules. For example, there is no ability or support for a persistent world.

In any event, I already devised the plot for my first SCL module. An Eldreth Veluuthra aligned baelnorn gets his hands on an item reputed to be an almost mythical artifact, said to have enormous and terrifying powers. He intends to use it to restore Myth Adofhaer to the Realms. The artifact, of course, is purportedly the skull of a certain legendary lich god of secrets from another world....

Edited by - Veritas on 13 Sep 2015 20:58:02
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  02:47:30  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got Head Start 2 access because I pre-ordered, which means I'll get to play around with DM mode from tomorrow. What I'm looking forward to most are the character creation details (in DM mode, used to create NPCs for your module), and to the various tilesets.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000