Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Timelines not adding up
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nauticalst4r
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  22:23:03  Show Profile Send Nauticalst4r a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
having an issue with some of the timelines. War of the spider queen takes places ~1372 (overseen by salvatore) which is well before transitions and the newer drizzt novels (companions codex series) but in WoTSQ there is a lot of mention of house melarn being destroyed, and many mentions of members that were killed having roles in the 1400's i.e house melarn .... is just a result of not sycning the stories up correctly? just curious'

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  22:41:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has at times complaints over the last many years about continuity.

WotC has been cutting support staff for years and product output has suffered.

So yes it appears that it is not making sure the stories line up properly.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Nauticalst4r
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  22:44:48  Show Profile Send Nauticalst4r a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah fair enough, just found it odd salvatore forced the 6 authors to shape the plotline to suit his needs in menzoberranzan and not follow the events he had final say over
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  22:58:09  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC also swore up and down that the gods of the Realms would fade into the background for 5E rather than showing up as novel characters with dialogue.

First page of Salvatore's new novel Archmage, released today: Lolth is running around killing demons.

I'd expect very little adherence to timelines, continuity, etc. in the future.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  23:09:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could it be different branches of the same house? One branch in one city was destroyed, but another branch in another city remains, perhaps?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  01:22:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House Melarn was refounded in Menzoberranzan out of the unified houses of Horlbar and Kenafin. They named the house not after the destroyed one in Ched Nasad but after Halisstra who became the Lady Penitent.

Matron Horlbar's eldest daughter was revealed to be a priestess of Eilistraee just after the War of the Spider Queen ended. House Tuin'Tarl attacked but House Kenafin rescued Horlbar. To avoid the suspicion now placed upon both Kenafin & Horlbar, they merged and named themselves after Halisstra - a worshiper of Eilistraee who returned to Lolth's fold - and became Lolthite zealots.

So, when they reference members of House Melarn after the WotSQ, they are referring to the NEW House Melarn in Menzoberranzan, not the old one in Ched Nasad.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 02 Sep 2015 01:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Nauticalst4r
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  01:32:58  Show Profile Send Nauticalst4r a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh awesome, thanks foer the clarification hashi.... there's much to keep up with lol

and yeah i just finished the first chapter.... loth seems to be having a good ol' time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  02:54:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nauticalst4r

ah fair enough, just found it odd salvatore forced the 6 authors to shape the plotline to suit his needs in menzoberranzan and not follow the events he had final say over

I don't think that's what happened at all. I think WotC grabbed a bunch of authors, said "do this" and then popped the books out there without much coordination of anything at all -- there are places in the series where some good editing could have smoothed over some issues (particularly the draegloth's shifting allegiances), but instead we got rough areas.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nauticalst4r
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  22:22:38  Show Profile Send Nauticalst4r a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was going off the wiki info

According to Salvatore, the idea for the series was that of his editor Philip Athans, who also wrote the fifth book of the series. Athans had to convince Salvatore to sign onto the project, and it was the idea that "I could help some other writers get some much-needed exposure" which won the author over. Salvatore and fellow authors Richard Baker, Thomas Reid, and Richard Lee Byers along with Athans and others then met in Seattle to compile the main overview of the storyline. Afterwards, Salvatore became the content editor, mostly ensuring that content within the Drow city of Menzoberranzan "kept the place where I wanted it for future works.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  13:55:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That series was all over the place - it made my head hurt.

Probably my least (FR) favorite. It has nothing to do with the individual stories and writing, but rather, the total inconsistency (character-wise) from one book to the next.

After that, I swore-off reading stories about the same characters by different authors. YECH!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  15:07:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nauticalst4r

having an issue with some of the timelines. War of the spider queen takes places ~1372 (overseen by salvatore) which is well before transitions and the newer drizzt novels (companions codex series) but in WoTSQ there is a lot of mention of house melarn being destroyed

There are 3 issues to consider.
1) The drow Houses should be considered on "per city" basis only. There are often new colony vs home city, splinter groups, etc. If it's destroyed in one city, it's destroyed in this city, and that's it.
2) Even if a House is "destroyed", there may be any number of survivors who are officially not considered part of that House anymore. E.g. Jarlaxle is born Baenre and Kimmuriel is born Oblodra, but once they became mercenaries, they are formally not in those Houses - which is why Kimmuriel can walk around Menzo with his own face and remain in one piece: obviously, the whole extermination thing simply doesn't apply to him. Same must be the case with anyone who join merchant clans or other Houses (I can't remember the name, but there was a mention).
3) Generally, attempts to "add up" pre-4e continuity and 4e era materials (when they are consistent internally to begin with) will give you a lot of frustration and not much else.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  00:32:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot one TBeholder. That which dies in the forgotten realms does not necessarily STAY dead. Members of the destroyed house COULD have been raised from the dead. I could see it if someone wanted to get information on Halisstra, a relatively easy way would be to raise one of her kin and thus possibly earn their gratitude as well as information. Or, perhaps they died, but they had a clone in stasis. Or there's probably 50 other ways that people could have died but come back.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  05:39:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"House Do'Urden", of a sort, has also been reestablished in Menzo. But it appears to be a psychological/sociological game as much as anything.

Menzo drow are not above distorting the past and even flat out lying about it. They consider it fun and games to do so.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000