Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Asram and Anauria
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  22:20:10  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do we know any connection with Asram or Anauria with any serpentine or draconic kind ? Before the 4th edition and the Najara realm.

With the style of the asram capital, Phelajarama, known as the City of the Serpent, and the discovery of the Book of the world.

The tomb of the king Thardresk in Serpent Hills and the Crypt of the Six.

Any lore ? Something deep in the past ?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  10:27:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Anauria and Asram are two of the more famous lost realms of faerun about which we know almost nothing.

Saying that I have been working a bit on expanding the Survivor States (as part of my Netheril rewrite) and this is what I've come up with related to dragons and serpents.

The book of the world (2e draconomicon) was discovered in Asram by someone unknown sometime after 1200 DR. It was a book with metal pages, written in an archaic version of thorass that contained the story of the world according to a red dragon.

The book of the dragon (Elminster's Forgotten Realms) was a book with metal pages and bound in electrum that was hidden by Khelben Arunsun. It contained the trapped forms of 26 dragons which were represented by stories about the dragons or told by the dragons. Supposedly reading one of the stories released the dragon with which that story was associated. Sammaster greatly desired this book as he wished to persuade the dragons trapped within to undergo the transformation to dracolichdom. Supposedly the book was crafted by Ioulaum, who himself trapped the 26 dragons. Supposedly Sammaster never found the Book of the Dragon.

So what if the two books were one and the same. If ioulaum crafted the book of the dragon it is probably that he kept it with him about Xinlenal until the end when Xinlenal crashed in the Neverwinter Woods. Khelben is known to have been active in the north at various points in history and probably discovered this artefact and many others.

Khelben then breaks the book into separate chapters and hides them across the realms, one of which is hidden in the ruined and poisoned capital of Asram.

Perhaps Sammaster did discover the Book of the World (one chapter of the Book of the Dragon which contained a red dragon who happened to have an interest in history), but sold it on when he could not convince the dragon inside to undergo dracolichdom (or maybe he did succeed and the now non-magical book is all that's left of that chapter). Sammaster was active in the dalelands area, and Harrowsmouth was said to be in the mountains near Shadow Gap (the God's Legion/Desertsmouth Mountains) which also happens to be near ruined Asram.

I had Ioulaum undergo a brief (several centuries) long fascination with dragons before and after he became an Archmage, after the first appearance of a dragon in netheril's territory. He was very interested in the events around Westgate around -3500 DR that involved dragons and the tears of Selune and a circle of standing stones.

His fascination with dragons continued into the Silver Age with his descendants in House Orogoth continuing research that he had long since abandoned (research that went horribly wrong). After the Serpent's Curse dragons fell out of fashion and were largely ignored by the Netherese.

As for the serpent links. I made Laummas the Archmage of Asram (when it was an enclave). He was a greedy, grasping, evil, tomb robbing kind of Archmage (many of his students are famous for their mistreatment of the land bound dwellers of Netheril, they took what they wanted as they felt it was their right). He spent many a century plundering the ancient ruins dotted around the northern and western borders of Netheril (which were sarrukh ruins).

So Asram became filled with serpent motif statues and magical and mundane artefacts.

When Asram crashed the survivors (including a few arcanist students) took as much treasure as they could with them to Phelajarama and so it has a strong serpentine influence.

Anauria's choice for the tombs in the Serpent Hills was purely a chance discovery of a portal that happened to lead into the Serpent Hills. There was no real association between the anaurians and the kingdom of najara. Although I have found quotes that wizards from the Survivor States were hired by Ebenfar to destroy the capital of Najara, one would assume given the portal link that they were mages from Anauria.

That's just my take on things. For me there is no concrete link between them, its just a series of coincidences and intrigues (Khelben did love his treasure hunts and false trails).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  15:54:13  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That a good point because my new campaign included the last Netheril realms and also Wesgate and his draconic artefact which destroyed a part of the moon.

We play far in 644DR
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  22:01:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I went more for a ritual that produced powerful magical energy that was aimed at the King Killer Star.

Unfortunately for the dragons, the elves had anticipated that someone would try to destroy it and the energy was reflected off the surface of the comet and into the moon (I think it was the moon), which caused the formation of the tears of selune (or the formation of some of them, I'm betting there is probably evidence a few existed long before that).

As for Westgate. I have no idea what it was around -3500 DR, there is little to no detail about the Dragon Coast as a whole, and its history is very sparse. I think only Westgate is detailed in any way and even then it is mostly detail from the 1340s onwards.

I suspect Westgate and the surrounding area was part of the territory of one or more dragons who ruled over the settlements as Kings and treated their subjects as slaves. Certainly Saldrinar defeated a dragon and became ruler of the settlement that would become Westgate. Although it is also possible that this area was filled with nomadic peoples and Westgate was more of a trademoot where tribes met to pay tribute to Kisar... (whatever the dragon's name was).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2015 :  11:38:30  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well I went more for a ritual that produced powerful magical energy that was aimed at the King Killer Star.

Unfortunately for the dragons, the elves had anticipated that someone would try to destroy it and the energy was reflected off the surface of the comet and into the moon (I think it was the moon), which caused the formation of the tears of selune (or the formation of some of them, I'm betting there is probably evidence a few existed long before that).

Yes of course, the elfes were involved in the fail of the ritual. But I am sure Shar was no innocent in that story... it's the way I see it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000