Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So why all the 'non-FR' people handling FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  16:32:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Why are there so many 'non-FR' people dealing with the current Forgotten Realms? I thought they actually took notice with happened during 4th edition and decided to bring back as much FR as possible.

You would think we would see more familiar authors involved.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  20:09:19  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Why are there so many 'non-FR' people dealing with the current Forgotten Realms? I thought they actually took notice with happened during 4th edition and decided to bring back as much FR as possible.

Could be any number of reasons, really.

Perhaps established former contributors might cost too much. Or they might be less willing to go along with a particular product vision. Or they may simply feel that doing so would be backward-looking rather than forward-looking. Who knows?

WotC has certainly established a very specific vision for D&D, where the brand is somewhat generic in an attempt to appeal across various multimedia (MMO, isomorphic cRPG, PnP RPG, cards, mobile apps, comics, novels, etc).

Previous part-time designers just might not fit into their current vision, such as it is.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  21:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many Kobolds do I have to slay to get another Elaine novel?
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  00:09:41  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My theory is they've burned so many bridges in the last several years, we'll be lucky to ever see many of our favorites authors names on a WotC FR product again. We keep hearing of all these different things in the works, and all these things/areas/people can't be discusse due to NDAs but what really ever sees the light of day?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  03:44:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
because wotc hates the setting and want to ruin it even more to get the wowtards to play it over world of Warcraft.

no in all seriousness I have no clue

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  03:56:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

But that's the whole point.
It's publisher-driven now, and as such exists to be turned into more fake cheese, PSAs and ads for miniatures and other merchandise. Hence dumbing down and much the same spite toward fans as from "old good" Lorraine Williams, just with a disposable plastic smile.
Just like with everything else. Oligopolistic publishers currently are the main enemies of anything resembles art more than meaningless rap bubblegum.

I don't see "bring back" so far, either. It's yet to go beyond "suckers somehow noticed that we gave them a stack of blank paper and are upset - let's insert two more real notes on top this time, this will mollify them!" reaction.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  05:44:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most of the 'old guard' have gone onto other things now.

Doesn't mean most of us don't still love the Realms, it just means things just aren't the same anymore (for a LOT of reasons).

You want to play D&D? Fine, then buy the 5e stuff - its fun, trust me. If you are looking for that sort of 'deep lore' that FR used to have, its just not gonna happen. The PF stuff is getting pretty deep by now, but its still nowhere on the level the FR stuff was. There are other settings as well - I hear there's a German one even more detailed then FR.

Or you could just wait around and see if Mr Greenwood still has some magic under that old hat of his (okay... he doesn't wear a hat... but I was going with the Frosty Quote). A little bird told me that the Edverse is gonna be a bucket load of amazing when it starts pumping-out product. If FR isn't grabbing you anymore, then give something new a try. New is good. If my brother-in-law (and his group) hadn't 'forced' me to run the ebil 'Realms' setting way back when for them, I'd still be trying to run my beloved Greyhawk... for people who never heard of it. Change can be good.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  16:04:00  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think most of the 'old guard' have gone onto other things now.

Or they have chosen to stick with a truncated or modified previous version of the Realms (rejecting certain parts, ideas, or even entire edition histories).

quote:
Doesn't mean most of us don't still love the Realms, it just means things just aren't the same anymore (for a LOT of reasons).

But it may mean that many are using or identify with a Realms that doesn't exist any longer.

quote:
You want to play D&D? Fine, then buy the 5e stuff - its fun, trust me.

Or use an older rule set, because those are still D&D.

quote:
If you are looking for that sort of 'deep lore' that FR used to have, its just not gonna happen.

Debatable. Every once in a while, they publish some new Realmslore by Ed that I simply take and insert into my Realms, which is pretty much a modified 2E Realms where the ToT didn't happen.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  16:18:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

But it may mean that many are using or identify with a Realms that doesn't exist any longer.
People who consider themselves the "Old Guard" have stepped away from the published Realms and stuck with what they believed the Realms to be since the transition from 2E to 3E.

And more power to them. Sticking with what you like about the Realms is not in fact a bad thing.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  17:05:14  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

[quote]Originally posted by Eltheron

People who consider themselves the "Old Guard" have stepped away from the published Realms and stuck with what they believed the Realms to be since the transition from 2E to 3E.

And more power to them. Sticking with what you like about the Realms is not in fact a bad thing.

Oh, I absolutely agree that sticking with what you like is not a bad thing. For many, it's the best thing to do.

I'm just not sure that the "Old Guard" is really a group, or even all that well-defined. Not everyone liked 2E, and stepped away then (or perhaps partially). Others pick and choose from various editions, while rejecting some (or a lot) of other editions. And that's fine too. But to group everyone who does so as a singular entity (whether "Old Guard" or "Grognards" or something else) is usually a mistake. Labeling people is often the first step in treating them like dirt.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  17:31:58  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What none FR people are handling FR now?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  17:39:43  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More than anything else, I'm sad that Ed didn't have a hand in the book that will establish the current state of the Realms. IIRC, one of the things that WotC stated was that Ed would have been at the helm of the setting...

However, Brian Cortijo worked on it, and he is a ''Realms person''.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Aug 2015 17:41:03
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  17:59:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know what WotC's planning. They haven't hired me for anything, despite me making it very clear that I'm available. Still waiting to hear back on at least one pitch, actually.

Heck, I'm going to write more Realms fiction regardless.

Assuming I reach my Extra-Life fundraising goal, that is.

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/ESdB

And if I do, maybe there will be *more* down the road.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  18:47:38  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I missed your shameless plugs.

Good to know what you're up to as well!

Oh, and I hear a full year's worth of kobold sacrifices does work wonders for getting the WotC overlords attention.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  19:00:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By 'old guard' I actually meant the old-school designers, like Eric Boyd and Steven Schend. The way I worded that made it seem like I was placing myself among them - MY BAD. I consider myself 'old school', but NOT 'old guard'.

And I've already mentioned the trickle of good FR lore we've seen from ed, Eric, and George. Notice, however, that (except for Ed) those things aren't considered 'official'.

What that means is, the lore a lot of us want is coming from unofficial sources. Its great... but not coming from WotC, which is what I was getting at. My whole point boils done to this: What FR fans want isn't necessarily what FR needs, and what WotC's plans are for it.

And YES, you can continue to use older lore and older editions, and thats fine. I use whatever the hell I want, edition (and setting) be damned. I am not disagreeing with you, Eltheron, I am just trying to explain where I am coming from at this time.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  19:19:39  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By 'old guard' I actually meant the old-school designers, like Eric Boyd and Steven Schend. The way I worded that made it seem like I was placing myself among them - MY BAD. I consider myself 'old school', but NOT 'old guard'.

And I've already mentioned the trickle of good FR lore we've seen from ed, Eric, and George. Notice, however, that (except for Ed) those things aren't considered 'official'.

What that means is, the lore a lot of us want is coming from unofficial sources. Its great... but not coming from WotC, which is what I was getting at. My whole point boils done to this: What FR fans want isn't necessarily what FR needs, and what WotC's plans are for it.

And YES, you can continue to use older lore and older editions, and thats fine. I use whatever the hell I want, edition (and setting) be damned. I am not disagreeing with you, Eltheron, I am just trying to explain where I am coming from at this time.

I understand.

Sending you a private message so that certain scribes won't potentially get hyper-offended and lose their minds over the reply.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  20:24:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I just realized I forgot the Time of Troubles. Thus, I should have written "1E to 2E".

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  01:15:06  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 2 F.R. tabletop groups have pretty much decided that *we* .... are the new Kingmakers of Canon. And we say that happily! Although it's been stressful since 3.5 ended having to slowly witness the massive upheaval of the F.R. RPG & Novel cultural demographic.

Even though we are the new Loremakers of Canon, we still hold certain scribes and past authors with much respectful and warm-&-fuzzy reverance (as Markus has said, folks like Ed, George, Eric ... as well as Erik, Jeremy, Dazzlerdal, Markus, etc.) in influencing our decisions to implement the new ongoing Canon. We still hope too, that a new generation of F.R. homebrew writers will come along and post new quality lore as we're not beholden to just those names mentioned above.

But yeah .... the new 5E F.R. is not turning out to be cavalcade of breathtaking lore and worldbuilding. We're okay with that though. We've married our new Lore/Canon policy to the more fitting and lushly-complex game mechanics of Pathfinder to make our F.R. Campaign Settings (we have 2 of them - 1 for each group) an awe-inspiring breath of fresh RPG Air. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  06:56:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

My 2 F.R. tabletop groups have pretty much decided that *we* .... are the new Kingmakers of Canon. And we say that happily! Although it's been stressful since 3.5 ended having to slowly witness the massive upheaval of the F.R. RPG & Novel cultural demographic.

Even though we are the new Loremakers of Canon, we still hold certain scribes and past authors with much respectful and warm-&-fuzzy reverance (as Markus has said, folks like Ed, George, Eric ... as well as Erik, Jeremy, Dazzlerdal, Markus, etc.) in influencing our decisions to implement the new ongoing Canon. We still hope too, that a new generation of F.R. homebrew writers will come along and post new quality lore as we're not beholden to just those names mentioned above.

But yeah .... the new 5E F.R. is not turning out to be cavalcade of breathtaking lore and worldbuilding. We're okay with that though. We've married our new Lore/Canon policy to the more fitting and lushly-complex game mechanics of Pathfinder to make our F.R. Campaign Settings (we have 2 of them - 1 for each group) an awe-inspiring breath of fresh RPG Air. :-)

This makes me so happy. The King is dead, long live the King.

Here's hoping the Edverse turns out to be a new way for the lore lords to deliver their own take on the realms.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page