Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 The Witcher 3
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  22:21:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Not related to the Realms, but I'm curious if anyone here is playing/has played the game.

I must say, I haven't found the will/interest to play and enjoy PC games in a few years (since ME 3), but this game really got me involved. The main characters (or those who often appear in the story) are well defined, flashed out and compelling: they truly seem to be people, with actual pasts, interests, purposes and goals even outside of the storyline (it got me to care for a few characters in the game, Ciri has become my favourite VG character ever).

The world and the story is full of details and, for once, according to what I have found out up to now, the ''bad guys'' have a meaningful reason to do what they do, instead of just being power and riches for their own sake, or ''lulz, lets be evil, cuz why not?'' or ''ancient, primordial, unstoppable evil of doom''. The tone of the story is pretty grim, which I don't always like, but sometimes you will see people selflessly act to help others, or fight for something they believe in, and that feels really good, when it happens.

The graphic is amazing and manages to evoke the feel of the world, and the facial expressions are really good at reflecting the characters' emotions (it's very heavy, though). The soundtracks perfectly fit and contribute to the creation of the atmosphere.

Overall, The Witcher 3 manages to fully immerse the player in the world/story, and I couldn't ask for a better thing from a VG.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 28 Aug 2015 22:27:07

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  07:08:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You didn't read the saga itself?!?

Though to be fair... looking at the 1st game made me roll all the eyes, but judging by complaints, the 2nd game is much more true to the setting.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 02 Sep 2015 02:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  13:14:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will likely read the saga. I preferred to play the game first, in order to avoid spoilers.

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  18:47:00  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The game is set after the novels, as an unnoficial continuation. There'll be lots of things on the game that reference the story of the books, but not much at all on the books that will spoil the game's story.

Either way, I think they can be read/played in the order one prefers, without losing much if any appeal.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  19:06:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I thought that the game was based on the novels. I would have read the books first, if I had known that.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  15:03:52  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great game, one of the best ever RPGs in my opinion. Would that someone would do a Realms game like this one day. Baldur's Gate 1&2 are awesome but I would love them to be modernized with today's 3D graphics and voice acting.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  15:18:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Great game, one of the best ever RPGs in my opinion. Would that someone would do a Realms game like this one day. Baldur's Gate 1&2 are awesome but I would love them to be modernized with today's 3D graphics and voice acting.

The Witcher 3 has something that I haven't found in any other, at least not to this degree: it makes you feel the characters, that's CD projekt red's greatest achievement in this game, IMO. Only the Mass Effect games come close to it (for me, at least).

And yes, it would be awesome to have a FR game on this level. The problem seems to be that major VG houses aren't willing to go through all the licensing stuff needed to use the setting (Obsidian's take on it is an example).

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Aug 2015 15:20:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000