Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 List the most interesting places in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  16:10:49  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to start a list of places in the Realms that people think are really interesting. The kinds of places that you just can't wait for your players to explore.

Examples:
Waterdeep, for obvious reasons
Jungles of Chult: Ancient ruins, snake men, dinosaurs!
Lantan: The land of inventions! Weird clockwork gizmos!

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  16:34:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moonshae isles, an isolated dark age style land filled with Vikings, primordials, ancient kingdoms and fey monsters.

But then again I'm talking about my own version that I developed for my alternate dimensions project.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  16:36:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moonshae isles, an isolated dark age style land filled with Vikings, primordials, ancient kingdoms and fey monsters.

But then again I'm talking about my own version that I developed for my alternate dimensions project.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  16:39:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zakhara! Genies and Sha'irs, corsairs and mamluks, sultans and scimitars. My grandest adventures were had while roaming the sands of the Land of Fate.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 26 Aug 2015 21:57:59
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  21:48:09  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonsea!
By far the most interesting area of the Realms to me :) A deep fresh water sea that is purple coloured with links to the Plane of Water. Hillsfar, Elventree, Zhentil Keep, Phlan, Melvaunt, Mulmaster, Thentia; close ties to the Dales and Myth Drannor; pirates and treasure everywhere!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  22:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep, the Border Kingdoms, the Dragon Coast, and Western Heartlands.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  22:19:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's pre-Spellplague Waterdeep, for the overall feel of the city, and for the way its rule -- the whole rule by secret Lords idea is just fascinating and intriguing for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  00:41:02  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, that's a TALL order. There are so many good places that spring to mind. Let's see:

1. Myth Drannor (before the Reclamation).
2. Undermountain/Skullport. You can include Waterdeep here if you like.
3. The Border Kingdoms (made more interesting because we don't have a ton of info on the region despite Ed's articles).
4. Zakhara because it was one of the best researched settings that drew upon real world cultures (and it's just damn good stuff regardless).
5. The High Forest.
6. Amn. No one's mentioned this region but I like their system of government, the Cowled Wizards, the Shadow Thieves and I assume the Twisted Rune has many agents there as well.
7. The Moonshaes.
8. Chessenta is my favorite of the Old Empires.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  03:13:37  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knowledge of the Realms is pretty much limited to pre-3ed. That's the Realms I know and like.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  06:15:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The countless passages, rooms, halls, hallways, secret doors, salons, reading rooms, privies, walls within walls, spy holes, decorations and more that comprise the Royal Court, that stands on one side of the Promenade in Suzail, Cormyr.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  12:28:04  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep!
Hlondeth city of serpents
Ruins in north Anauroch
Tortured lands...what's there?
Semphar and its capital, the nation at the center of the continent

Zakhara! The most incredibile land of Toril
Go to Top of Page

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  14:11:35  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- Totally agree with the Moonsea area. Got everything you need for a cool cool campaign around a cold sea. Slaver cities, ruined cities, misty moors and wilderness plagued by goblinoids, where also roam dangerous creatures. The Thar and its secrets. Go north and you'll find the frozen landscape of the Tortured Lands, pure nature trauma for unprepared adventurers.

- The Sea of Fallen Stars, so many possibilities among the many islands. Piracy, curses, underwater adventures...

- The Dales : so typical for med-fan countryside adventures, but yet diverse and geo-politically interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  14:22:11  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My introduction to the Realms was via the old "Pools" series of computer games by SSI.
I've been hooked on the Moonsea and the Dalelands ever since.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  17:05:31  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rashemen!

A cold, rugged land surrounded by mountains, lakes, and rivers, filled with berserk fighters organized into lodges. A land with a strong fey presence and filled with local spirits called domovoi, and ruled over by mysterious wychlaren witches. A proud people that form a buffer zone and are constantly beset by the Red Wizards of Thay.
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  19:38:40  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for me its a tie between Daggerdale and the sea of fallen stars.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  20:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like 1340 DR a lot :)
As for actual locations/interesting places - I find myself drawn into whatever bit of realmslore I'm reading. And there is *so much* I don't know yet, or don't remember. I flip open a sourcebook at least once a day, just reading a paragraph or two, and it's usually evocative and takes me away for a moment. In that sense, I like most places, with a few places I never really got the feels for (Calimshan, Rashemen), but all in all I love the Realms when the wilderness is close by - the city-states of the Western Heartlands are always appealing, as is the North, but I also love the Dalelands and Cormyr.
I wish I had a DM who could take me to all these places.
There are also still places I know very little about (yet), such as Thar, Vaasa, Damara, Impiltur and other stuff on the fringes of the map, but there's a lifetime of RP opportunities just along the Sword Coast so..
All right I'll try to be more specific. Five locations I really enjoy:

1. Eveningstar
2. Archenbridge
3. Undermountain
4. Zazesspur
5. Citadel of the Raven
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  21:34:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERYTHING between Coliar and Karpri.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  23:33:06  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going to have to give another vote to the Moonsea!

I also really like the High Forest, Cormanthor, and the Narfell region.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  00:19:25  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Mithral Hall, the most detailed dwarven domain in the Realms
2. Narbondel, the heated and lit clock-tower of Menzoberranzan
3. Hosttower of the Arcane, in Luskan

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  01:31:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EVERYTHING between Coliar and Karpri.

If this forum had a "Like" functionality, I'd be hitting it for this post.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  09:18:09  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- Godswalk Keep in the Barony of the Great Oak in the Border Kingdoms when the fun starts.
- The Ruins of Shoonach.
- Dambrath.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  02:02:17  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The High Forest, Waterdeep, The Underdark (all of it), Silverymoon, Evermeet, Evereska, The Yuirwood.
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  19:56:09  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's more helpful if you provide a short blurb on why a location is interesting. Soon I will compile into one post for all to reference.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Waterdeep, because it's Waterdeep! Of course, I'm including the Dungeon of the Crypt, Undermountain, Skullport, the still-hinted-at-but-never-scene Citadel of the Bloody Hand, among just a few things when I say 'Waterdeep'.
2) The Border Kingdoms, because the ever-changing/fluid aspect of the region. A perfect area that players could build their PC's little fiefdoms as they get into the higher levels. The region, by logic of past supplements, is built upon ruins of the Calimshan empires past (Shoon Imperium) and perhaps ruined Jhamdaath outposts.
3) The Western Heartlands during the 1e through 3.5e because the region is dominated by city-states that both compete against and rely upon one another. The Chionthar and its tributaries which run through the Western Heartlands reminds me of the Rhine in Europe.
4) The Dragon Coast and its history, especially Westgate, makes me regard the region as a failed kingdom (a failed Cormyr perhaps) that delivered itself into complete corruption. It's different from the Moonsea in that the Dragon Coast isn't regarded as a frontier, nor a region dominated by evil. Corruption just means people need to be bribed, palms greased, and whatnot, to adventure unfettered there.
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  03:18:00  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironfang Keep.

I think it was fleshed out finally, but I still prefer it to be a dark tower with unknown inhabitants that drove poor Mongo to madness.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2015 :  20:08:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be the gate that leads to Laeral's bathtub from undermountain which made its appearance in the very first home Realms game

Prod Ed to see if he can elaborate some more

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  01:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

That would be the gate that leads to Laeral's bathtub from undermountain which made its appearance in the very first home Realms game

I think we'd all like to know the location of the gate leading to Laeral's bathtub!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  03:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sword Coast, big area I know but it catches some of my favorites. Waterdeep's intrigue, Baldur's Gate commerce, the wilds around Beregost and Daggerford. Not to mention Undermountain the best dungeon ever.

To be honest every part of the Realms that I played in I've enjoyed. Its so rich in history and life thanks to Ed and all those have worked on it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 25 Sep 2015 03:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  21:42:39  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might sound lame, but I'm going to add the King's Forest to my list of most interesting places in the Realms.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this forest is a place just ripe for development by a DM. Likewise, one of those places touched on in Realmslore vis-a-vis current human activity and important events, but never truly explored in terms of its long history.

It's easy to dismiss the King's Forest when you have the Hullack Forest nearby--the later stands first in line when you wonder which of the two woods is the most dangerous--but that doesn't mean the King's Forest isn't without its dangers, or its mysteries.

If I recall correctly, there's something in the wood that even the unstoppable terrors that were the Ghazneths will avoid, and the tattered remnant of the Goddess of Magic lingered there for a time.

Makes me wonder if the reason the woodland is so large and well kept has as much to do with keeping secret what's in the heart of the wood as with any Royal policy regarding the everyday maintenance and use of the woodlands.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000