Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spoilers: Rage of Demons / Out of the Abyss story
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  02:41:47  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forbes has an article with more hints of the adventure premise and some brief highlights of NPCs the party will meet during the adventure.

While I like the weirdness and (appropriate, almost fey-like) insanity apparent in many of the characters, I can see why they can drive some sages here up the wall.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2015/08/27/dungeons-dragons-out-of-the-abyss-preview/
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  17:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um.. okay.. yeah
So I looked through the Forbes article and my sifting/filtering was in overdrive.
The only thing I was interested in is the Drow who's being controlled by spores. Yellow Musk Creepers are one of my all time favorite mobs, and when I played Lord of the Rings Online I enjoyed the deepest areas of Moria that had lots of fungus corrupted orcs. Something about an alien fungal infestation just seems kinda cool to me. And no.. said fungal infestation does NOT include a shroom named stool :P
OMG! I see what they did there! TOADSTOOL? HAHAHuuum.. no
I am nowhere even close to the target audience they are shooting for. Oh well, at least they reminded me of the fungal plot line I'd already been playing with, and showed me exactly where not to go with it! That's something to take away isn't it? :)

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2015 :  17:31:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking Stool as in poop, but I guess Toadstool works too. Poop jokes are a classic!

Edited by - Eilserus on 28 Aug 2015 17:32:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  00:01:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone posted a link to the trailer yet?

Rage of demons

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  00:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Rage of demons

Ok Im going to give them points for that.

That was pretty bloody awesome

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  00:31:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Forbes has an article with more hints of the adventure premise and some brief highlights of NPCs the party will meet during the adventure.

While I like the weirdness and (appropriate, almost fey-like) insanity apparent in many of the characters, I can see why they can drive some sages here up the wall.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2015/08/27/dungeons-dragons-out-of-the-abyss-preview/

I, for one, cannot defend some of those names.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  02:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I hear about this module, the sadder I become. This could've been a fine adventure, but it seems that is not going to be the case. I'm still getting the module, but I doubt I'll ever run it. I'm mostly getting it for lore on the Underdark and the Realms in general, as well as for new items, etc. The silly nature of some of the NPCs (the way it seems to me, at least) really makes me feel like this is a joke adventure. Who knows, maybe once I read it over, it won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will.

At least I am looking forward to Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide coming out in November.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  02:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Rage of demons

That looks awesome. I'm so glad I've got Sword Coast Legends preordered. Can't wait to see the tabletop book. It looks like it'll be a bit of a stat update to the Fiendish Codex for the Abyss.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  02:40:10  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trailer actually looks.......disappointing.

Would you think by now that the cinematic scenes would be better. I remember the one from DC online and it blew me away, sadly the game was not that great.

I was expecting more with all the hype.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  02:52:49  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I simply don't understand the pessimism and negativity about it. The adventure is a combination of Fey & Abominations & Demons in the Underdark. It makes sense to me that almost all the NPCs are either quirky or insane considering all the demon-lords that are in the Underdark at the time. They're definitely cramming in "one of everything" in the NPCs as far as races go, but that seems like just a standard element of published adventures.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  02:58:59  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I simply don't understand the pessimism and negativity about it. The adventure is a combination of Fey & Abominations & Demons in the Underdark. It makes sense to me that almost all the NPCs are either quirky or insane considering all the demon-lords that are in the Underdark at the time. They're definitely cramming in "one of everything" in the NPCs as far as races go, but that seems like just a standard element of published adventures.

Insane doesn't have to be "quirky".

The underdark is anything but quirky. It is a scary and dangerous place that is full of alien like beings as well as evil and just pure insane. Derro are murderously insane, not quirky.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  03:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

The more I hear about this module, the sadder I become. This could've been a fine adventure, but it seems that is not going to be the case. I'm still getting the module, but I doubt I'll ever run it. I'm mostly getting it for lore on the Underdark and the Realms in general, as well as for new items, etc. The silly nature of some of the NPCs (the way it seems to me, at least) really makes me feel like this is a joke adventure. Who knows, maybe once I read it over, it won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will.

At least I am looking forward to Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide coming out in November.

Im probably going to try run Out of Abyss as prt of campaign, as either a conclusion or the begining either paired with the Rise of Tiamat modules or with Elemental evil

At the moment Im thinking its going to be a Elemental evil and then a suped up Out of the abyss to get the character from levels 15-20

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  03:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few disections from Enworld

In looks like the character arent going to fight all Demonlords

"Fortunately, Out of the Abyss gives characters the chance to amass a small army and also turn the demon lords against one another, thus weakening them. There are also a couple other ways to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss, which is the party's ultimate goal."

The wedding isnt a real wedding its a Demonic binding

"Once aware of Araumycos, Zuggtmoy seeks to control the massive fungus. She makes a show of “wooing” the massive fungus with a grotesque courtship that she plans to culminate with a repulsive mockery of a wedding—really a ritual of demonic domination. During the ceremony, Zuggtmoy will be attended by her “bridesmaids” and fungal thralls. Talk about a Bridezilla"

The Pudding king (Names in the Forbes article appear to have been made up by the Forbes reviewer) Has Psionics so we are likely going to get Psionic game play mechanics in Out of the Abyss

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  03:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Im probably going to try run Out of Abyss as prt of campaign, as either a conclusion or the begining either paired with the Rise of Tiamat modules or with Elemental evil

At the moment Im thinking its going to be a Elemental evil and then a suped up Out of the abyss to get the character from levels 15-20

Very interesting! I wish you all the luck possible with it!

While I'm not a Richard Baker fan, Princes of the Apocalypse is a wonderful module. He's really good at sourcebooks and modules. I think it is a much more solid adventure than Tyranny of Dragons. If you do decide to use Tyranny of Dragons though, be sure to pick up Steve Winter's errata and keep a printed copy handy. I slid mine into my Five Star binder with the printed off extras from the Wizard's site to help keep things moving smoothly. It helped a great deal, though my players weren't fans of how it was laid out. They enjoy more freedom in their decisions and steps rather than having every step laid out for them.

They still enjoyed how I made a kobold that was attacking the temple into an actual NOC with history and desires. They even keep/kept (depending on if we play it again) him around and had armor made for him, etc. He was a great way to slip the party some crucial information they may have missed a couple of times, and that kept things moving easily rather than having to trace back and find what they missed.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  03:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im actually thinking of rewriting Elemental evil and moving the 4 temples to Eryndlyn perphaps with Portal access from the vanilia locations in the Princes of the Apcolypse

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  03:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm already scheming on how I can tie the RoD module into my current campaign. Not necessarily as a continuation or addition to it, but as more of a sequel. It'd be some serious thread jacking to explain it all in detail, but I see it dovetailing quite nicely, even if I wind up tweaking it to a shadow of the original module, I couldn't have done it without the adventure as a catalyst.

quote:

A few disections from Enworld

In looks like the character arent going to fight all Demonlords

"Fortunately, Out of the Abyss gives characters the chance to amass a small army and also turn the demon lords against one another, thus weakening them. There are also a couple other ways to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss, which is the party's ultimate goal."

The wedding isnt a real wedding its a Demonic binding

"Once aware of Araumycos, Zuggtmoy seeks to control the massive fungus. She makes a show of “wooing” the massive fungus with a grotesque courtship that she plans to culminate with a repulsive mockery of a wedding—really a ritual of demonic domination. During the ceremony, Zuggtmoy will be attended by her “bridesmaids” and fungal thralls. Talk about a Bridezilla"

The Pudding king (Names in the Forbes article appear to have been made up by the Forbes reviewer) Has Psionics so we are likely going to get Psionic game play mechanics in Out of the Abyss

Thanks for that info! Whether the names are made up or not, (some of them are admittedly meh, and I will be changing them if they are their given names) quirkiness has always had a place in the Underdark. Jarlaxle, for one famous example, is definitely quirky; and one could argue it's how some survive the madness and oppression of such a dangerous place.
They look to be doing the same thing with combating the Demon Lords that they did in Tyranny of Dragons with Tiamat. They're giving level 15 characters a boss they can't possibly beat on their own, and forcing them to get creative to, in mechanical terms, bring the CR down to something they can handle.
I like the idea, because it presents Demon Lords, Deities, and the like as something very difficult to defeat, even for powerful heroes, and reinforces the idea that you can't hope to do it alone; you have to have allies.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  04:44:06  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The trailer looked excellent and firmly established the problems and enemies 'moving and shaking' behind the adventure. Great to see the demonlords 'fleshed' out in CG. Even after decades, the D&D versions of these demons remains some of the more distinct monster designs out there.

Looking forward to Sword Coast Legends. Been out of PC gaming (gaming in general) for a while. Prepped a gaming computer in part because of this game (and also Wastelands 2, Pillars of Eternity, as well as larger titles like the latest Dragon Age and Witcher). A lot of catching up to do.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:06:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

That looks awesome.

I enjoyed watching Orcus reanimate the Elder Brain and awaken the mindflayers in Undeath. Undead mindflayers are always a good idea in my book.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

That looks awesome.

I enjoyed watching Orcus reanimate the Elder Brain and awaken the mindflayers in Undeath. Undead mindflayers are always a good idea in my book.

Even if its trying to chew on your Cerebal Cortex Jeremy?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  11:05:42  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The MM has several psionic creatures already, we don't necessarily need psionic gameplay mechanics for the pudding king

BTW, here's Orcus: Part 1 and Part 2

Edited by - Mirtek on 29 Aug 2015 11:11:40
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  11:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

The MM has several psionic creatures already, we don't necessarily need psionic gameplay mechanics for the pudding king

Yes but the character in OotA is a Deep Gnome they dont get natural Psionic abilities the way say Mind Flayer do. So in order for him to have Psionic powers hes going either have Class levels or some sort of template

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  13:59:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even if its trying to chew on your Cerebal Cortex Jeremy?

Especially in that case.

Wrapping a mindflayer's tentacles around its neck and choking it to death is something I would like to do in game. If they're undead mindflayers, that's no reason not to try. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  14:43:11  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Yes but the character in OotA is a Deep Gnome they dont get natural Psionic abilities the way say Mind Flayer do. So in order for him to have Psionic powers hes going either have Class levels or some sort of template

Or they simply add a few spells to his stay block and a [Psi] tag and that'a it

We're not in 3.X anymore when NPC and monsters were build with the same rules structure as PCs

Edited by - Mirtek on 29 Aug 2015 14:44:33
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  16:10:15  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

Insane doesn't have to be "quirky".

The underdark is anything but quirky. It is a scary and dangerous place that is full of alien like beings as well as evil and just pure insane. Derro are murderously insane, not quirky.

I completely agree, and the Derro presented in the article was exactly that: Murderously insane. The only characters that seemed quirky to me were the Shapeshifting-Fey Twins; the other characters seemed to fulfill all the appropriate Underdark descriptors: Insane, Alien, Evil, etc.
...seemed pretty much on point to me.

(Of course, the Myconids made me do the ol' too).

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  16:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

That looks awesome.

That part made me shiver in glee. The kinda nuts tilt of the head that Drizzt does at one point reminded me of the Joker for some reason. That was kinda scary.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  04:50:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One nice thing about the trailer is that we get to see something that we're commenting on. So much better than declaring the book dead on arrival when nobody has actually read it yet.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  01:48:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That trailer was pretty cool. I might have to buy these adventure books, even though I don't really play D&D.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  02:04:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a question, and this may seem like a dumb question, but being as a don't play D&D much, I don't usually buy these "adventure books", so my question is: will a book like this actually show what is going on in the Realms, and or do they just provide adventure ideas for players, and have no real affect on what is going on in the Realms?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy it. I'm buying Archmage, which comes out tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  02:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I do have a question, and this may seem like a dumb question, but being as a don't play D&D much, I don't usually buy these "adventure books", so my question is: will a book like this actually show what is going on in the Realms, and or do they just provide adventure ideas for players, and have no real affect on what is going on in the Realms?

I ask because I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy it. I'm buying Archmage, which comes out tomorrow.

It'll kinda be like a choose your own adventure book. If they follow the previous styles in this edition, it'll give you an overview and background of the adventure, key plot points, and the encounters / battles that get you from plot point 1 to plot point two.
Not everything will happen for every party, depending on what choices they make, but the same overarching story will take place.
I feel that did a horrible job, but I hope it helps explain somewhat.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  02:14:04  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the background of the story would be useful, because it provides us with info on what is going on in the Realms? Would it be worth it for someone like me to purchase?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000