Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for Suggestions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saoirse
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  01:45:27  Show Profile Send Saoirse a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(If this doesn't fit here feel free to move)

I have a character I have been semi developing a journal for as a fun side project. She isn't a fighter or hero but a merchant who travels the realms and still has mini adventures.

My question is what sites or books would help me out with developing a fuller style journal for her.

Feel free to private message me, your suggestions too.

Edited by - Saoirse on 03 Aug 2015 02:04:16

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  03:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always work best when mimicing a style. Find a journal of someone from history that might fit the personality of the character you're developing and try to imitate the way they organized the journal. Did they date every entry? Do they separate entries with merely a blank line? Or do they keep a journal similar to the Hobbit, one long, continuing story?
Is that the kind of thing you're looking for, or are you looking for something else, like a beginning author's guide to writing?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Saoirse
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  14:37:51  Show Profile Send Saoirse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be like a collection of her thoughts on places she has been or wanting to go. I haven't used her in a game ever sadly (most don't care for non-fighting characters where I live). I'm looking for away to develop here thoughts into a journal that is easy to follow. She is still young right around 27, her travels aren't many yet. The way I have the thoughts laid out so for is dated with no year and separated by location.
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  15:44:24  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read Dracula? I love the way that book displays the story, because there are not only the letters of the main character of the chapter, but also the responses to that character by different people that tells the story indirectly. Like, commenting the original letter, which is never shown.

Hard to understand with my crappy english, but check out the second half of the book and you will get the idea (the first half is written almost by the same character).

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Saoirse
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  06:03:49  Show Profile Send Saoirse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will look into it. Is there a certain version of the book that is better for this because I have read Dracula and never noticed this. Maybe the version I read was setup differently.
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  16:15:17  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saoirse

I will look into it. Is there a certain version of the book that is better for this because I have read Dracula and never noticed this. Maybe the version I read was setup differently.

I only know the original version, you can find it here, since it is in the public domain -> http://www.bramstoker.org/pdf/novels/05dracula.pdf

Some examples:
Chapter 6, July 26 is written by Mina Murray, a character in herself, but the content is all about Lucy Westenra's state of affairs.

Chapter 7 starts with a text "cut" from a newspaper that tells the misterious arrival of Dracula's ship in a very indirect and unexplicit way.

I think Ed has said that short pamphlets are a well stablished media in the big cities of the Realms. So there, you could use something like that too.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  20:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like your idea. I would love to play a similar character, or be a DM for such a character.
Anyway, maybe Volothamp Geddarm can be of help (the Volo's Guides, I mean) - he travels around the Realms and while your character will record her impressions differently, maybe the way the guides are written can be of some inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Saoirse
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  20:27:11  Show Profile Send Saoirse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the suggestions. Most games I have been in or have watch have started in Waterdeep. Any good suggestions for areas to find details on places there and areas iwthin the city or around ther city. I'm thinking of using that as her first stop.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  20:39:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look at my article on The Snow Elves in Elves of Faerûn (pg.50), part of that is in the form of a journal - I used the dating system with small entries, and that worked for me. You don't need to make entries for every day, just the ones where something interesting happens.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2015 20:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Saoirse
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  23:40:40  Show Profile Send Saoirse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If you look at my article on The Snow Elves in Elves of Faerûn (pg.50), part of that is in the form of a journal - I used the dating system with small entries, and that worked for me. You don't need to make entries for every day, just the ones where something interesting happens.

oh that is pretty cool thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000