Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any good maps of the Moonsea?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  14:44:28  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any good maps of the Moonsea that go into a bit more detail than the old ones?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  15:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mysteries of the Moonseas is probably the newest one

You might be able to get some newer ones if you can get access to the Elemental evil (Mulmaster) and Tyranny of Dragons (Phlan)modules from the adventurers league

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  15:42:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, THIS is as far as I got with that project. There are no complete maps for that region - every one is missing stuff found on others (even the FRIA maps, which are SO out-of-date now).

That map (the eastern half of my 'Heartlands' map) was never completed, but it became the basis for another map, which I DO plan on fishing next (after the Shining South, which is almost complete). That one is focused on Impiltur, but is large enough to include the entirety of The Moonsea region (and I just looked at it, and a LOT of the Moonsea sites are already labeled on that one).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2015 15:43:32
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  16:03:57  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sadly, THIS is as far as I got with that project. There are no complete maps for that region - every one is missing stuff found on others (even the FRIA maps, which are SO out-of-date now).

That map (the eastern half of my 'Heartlands' map) was never completed, but it became the basis for another map, which I DO plan on fishing next (after the Shining South, which is almost complete). That one is focused on Impiltur, but is large enough to include the entirety of The Moonsea region (and I just looked at it, and a LOT of the Moonsea sites are already labeled on that one).

Cheers!

Those maps are amazing. You did the ones in the 3rd edition FRCG didn't you?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  16:29:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NO.

Those were done by Dennis Kauth, who's style I now emulate. Those seem to be everyone's favorite edition maps (despite WotC messing-up the geography, BIG-TIME, which wasn't his fault - he did the best he could), which is why I find myself going back to that look.

I WISH I could get my hands on the original, High-Res version, so my maps would be that much better. I only have the version that is online at the WotC site to work off of (they list three resolutions, but weirdly, all three are the low resolution one). Some of their web maps - like the ones they posted for Serpent Kingdoms - you can see the terrain as it was meant to be, before it got all 'washed out' by the low res.

Dennis Kauth passed away not so long ago - there is a village (Kauth) along the River Delimbiyr now that commemorates his contributions to The Realms (halfway between Zelbross & Loudwater).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2015 16:31:17
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  19:21:35  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

NO.

Those were done by Dennis Kauth, who's style I now emulate. Those seem to be everyone's favorite edition maps (despite WotC messing-up the geography, BIG-TIME, which wasn't his fault - he did the best he could), which is why I find myself going back to that look.

I WISH I could get my hands on the original, High-Res version, so my maps would be that much better. I only have the version that is online at the WotC site to work off of (they list three resolutions, but weirdly, all three are the low resolution one). Some of their web maps - like the ones they posted for Serpent Kingdoms - you can see the terrain as it was meant to be, before it got all 'washed out' by the low res.

Dennis Kauth passed away not so long ago - there is a village (Kauth) along the River Delimbiyr now that commemorates his contributions to The Realms (halfway between Zelbross & Loudwater).

His maps are wonderful and really provide the spirit of the FR.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  20:17:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike Schley is a worthy successor to Mr. Kauth - his maps are beautiful.

I had done one in his style as well - carefully recreating all of his textures so I could just paint them in - but that map got destroyed along with all the work I put into the textures, and I haven't gone back to it (nor will I - Mike is very much alive and still mapping the Realms, and I will not do any disservice to him).

So long as there are fantasy cartographers and enthusiasts, we shall keep the dream alive.

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  21:09:51  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I WISH I could get my hands on the original, High-Res version, so my maps would be that much better. I only have the version that is online at the WotC site to work off of (they list three resolutions, but weirdly, all three are the low resolution one).

What resolution is that? I googled around and found thishttp://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_maps/FRposterLarge_150.jpg. and this http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/10/Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120201174035
Should it be bigger?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  21:46:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.

When you compare it to other maps released throughout 3e - like the ones for Serpent Kingdoms - you can see the difference. Much cleaner lines (I superimpose them and the difference really stands out). Also, I can see that they re-did the text for those maps, which means they actually have a 'blank' version, which REALLY makes me salivate. Someone, somewhere has access to that, and if I were to be sent a copy... ohhh... BY ACCIDENT... I'll never tell.

Thanks for trying, though.

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  22:10:40  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for trying, though.

Now I'm getting stubborn and want to find that map!
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  19:38:52  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a pdf on an old harddrive with the map at 300 dpi (as far as I can tell). Is that of interest?

Edited by - Matrix Sorcica on 03 Aug 2015 19:40:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  19:45:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 300 DPI one is the one they have on their site, and also one of the two you linked to earlier.

I truly doubt you will find it - its on the computers at WotC, but unless it was secretly leaked somehow, I doubt its anywhere on the web. I doubt even freelancers ever had access to it.

I asked Rich Baker for it once... it was one of the few times he didn't respond back to me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000